Talkback Thread #12: Godzilla vs. Gigan (1972)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
User avatar
Crazy Jim Films
Yin-Yang Master
Posts: 260
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:07 pm

Re: Talkback Thread #12: Godzilla vs. Gigan (1972)

Postby Crazy Jim Films » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:16 pm

2009MECHAGODZILLA wrote:I actually like this movie, but for one simple reason.
It's basically a 'best of' of the showa Godzillas at the time, same with Revenge.


I enjoyed this one much more than Revenge. Pretty much same reason. A lot of the familiar elements are there and a whole bunch of the classic Akira Ifukube scores. Not a great movie but a fun, nostalgic one.
Check out the trailer for my debut feature film, "The Angry World of Brian Webster".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPaRxruc2oo&t=17s
https://www.facebook.com/angryworld2014

User avatar
Goji
Kwaidan
Posts: 6448
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:37 pm

Re: Talkback Thread #12: Godzilla vs. Gigan (1972)

Postby Goji » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:59 am

Godzillian wrote:Why did Godzilla only bring Anguirus help him?


'Cuz budget, obviously.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you

edgaguirus
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 5492
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:25 pm

Re: Talkback Thread #12: Godzilla vs. Gigan (1972)

Postby edgaguirus » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:01 pm

And the suit was still in good condition.
Kaiju are just like people- giant, radioactive people.

Megalon went into a bar and saw Gigan. Megalon said, " Again? I thought you gave this up."
" What can I say," Gigan asked. " I'm hooked."

User avatar
MechaGoji Bro7503
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 5428
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:02 pm
Location: Black Hole Planet 3
Contact:

Re: Talkback Thread #12: Godzilla vs. Gigan (1972)

Postby MechaGoji Bro7503 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:14 pm

I really like how in this film the aliens are bent on killing Godzilla rather than taking over the planet directly. Makes it seem like word got around the universe that Godzilla is big trouble.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

Dv-218 wrote:This is so sad, Alexa play "Bio-Wars".

Dr. Professor wrote:If I had a dollar for every "SAVE MOTHRA" joke, I'd be able to buy Legendary Pictures, renew the license for Godzilla, acquire the rights to the rest of the Toho monsters, and make a Godzilla film that totally bombs without even putting a dent in my bank account.

"Wake the fruck up Godzilla, we got a city to burn." - Goro Maki, 2016.

User avatar
MechaGoji Bro7503
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 5428
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:02 pm
Location: Black Hole Planet 3
Contact:

Re: Talkback Thread #12: Godzilla vs. Gigan (1972)

Postby MechaGoji Bro7503 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:27 pm

Watched it again- loved it even more. The film's characters are funny and likable- Gengo reminds me of myself a bit. The legendary corn cob hippie is just as awesome as I remember. The Nebulans are more of sympathetic race. And im confused, did the Nebulans take over their planet and leave or was it always their planet? 'Cause the way they say it is a little weird. Hauro Nakajima did a fantastic final job as Godzilla. Overall a solid 7/10.

I find it funny that Anguirus swam all that way JUST to immediately return to Monster Island to give Godzilla information. Why not send Rodan? (I know because of budget but still he was in Vs Megalon just doing fine).
Last edited by MechaGoji Bro7503 on Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

Dv-218 wrote:This is so sad, Alexa play "Bio-Wars".

Dr. Professor wrote:If I had a dollar for every "SAVE MOTHRA" joke, I'd be able to buy Legendary Pictures, renew the license for Godzilla, acquire the rights to the rest of the Toho monsters, and make a Godzilla film that totally bombs without even putting a dent in my bank account.

"Wake the fruck up Godzilla, we got a city to burn." - Goro Maki, 2016.

User avatar
Loganrules115
Yin-Yang Master
Posts: 387
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:20 pm
Location: New York

Re: Talkback Thread #12: Godzilla vs. Gigan (1972)

Postby Loganrules115 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:01 pm

I would like this movie a lot more but the stock footage drives me insane.
And the monsters talking.
Last edited by Loganrules115 on Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Planet X did nothing wrong. :xilien:

edgaguirus
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 5492
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:25 pm

Re: Talkback Thread #12: Godzilla vs. Gigan (1972)

Postby edgaguirus » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:54 pm

Talking monster are better than singing monsters.

On topic, From what I understand of the Nebulan story, the planet was their home, and they took control after the dominant race had polluted themselves out of existence. They lived in peace there until the planet became too unbearable even for them.
Kaiju are just like people- giant, radioactive people.

Megalon went into a bar and saw Gigan. Megalon said, " Again? I thought you gave this up."
" What can I say," Gigan asked. " I'm hooked."

User avatar
MechaGoji Bro7503
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 5428
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:02 pm
Location: Black Hole Planet 3
Contact:

Re: Talkback Thread #12: Godzilla vs. Gigan (1972)

Postby MechaGoji Bro7503 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:53 pm

edgaguirus wrote:
On topic, From what I understand of the Nebulan story, the planet was their home, and they took control after the dominant race had polluted themselves out of existence. They lived in peace there until the planet became too unbearable even for them.

Thanks for clearing that up.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

Dv-218 wrote:This is so sad, Alexa play "Bio-Wars".

Dr. Professor wrote:If I had a dollar for every "SAVE MOTHRA" joke, I'd be able to buy Legendary Pictures, renew the license for Godzilla, acquire the rights to the rest of the Toho monsters, and make a Godzilla film that totally bombs without even putting a dent in my bank account.

"Wake the fruck up Godzilla, we got a city to burn." - Goro Maki, 2016.

User avatar
Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated
Posts: 11515
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:31 pm
Location: the Wired

Re: Talkback Thread #12: Godzilla vs. Gigan (1972)

Postby Lain Of The Wired » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:26 pm

Godzillian wrote:Why did Godzilla only bring Anguirus help him?

Budget problems
Image
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

User avatar
KaijuCanuck
EDF Soldier
Posts: 3445
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:12 pm
Location: The Milky Way

Re: Talkback Thread #12: Godzilla vs. Gigan (1972)

Postby KaijuCanuck » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:48 pm

Watching this right now. What’s so frustrating is how good all of the new monster footage is, and how obvious and intrusive the stock footage is. Even to non-fans, all the lighting changes and suit designs and stuff must be pretty obvious.

Still, overall this is a good one. I forgot how much good Ifukube stuff is in it, as I tend to associate the later films with the jazzier soundtracks. It’s almost like a greatest hits of his showa stuff, there’s stuff from GTTM, MvG, DAM, probably more.
Last edited by KaijuCanuck on Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Image

User avatar
Gojira-Fan
G-Grasper
Posts: 1438
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:45 pm

Re: Talkback Thread #12: Godzilla vs. Gigan (1972)

Postby Gojira-Fan » Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:32 pm

KaijuCanuck wrote:Watching this right now. What’s so frustrating is how good all of the new monster footage is, and how obvious and intrusive the stock footage is. Even to non-fans, all the lighting changes and suit designs and stuff must be pretty obvious.

Still, overall this is a good one. I forgot how much good Ifukube stuff is in it, as I tend to associate the later films with the jazzier soundtracks. It’s almost like a greatest hits of his showa stuff, there’s stuff from GTTM, MvG, DAM, probably more.


There is certainly some good new effects footage, but it's usually not as good as the footage in the stock footage. I can accept the stock footage a lot of the time with Showa era movies, but it is jarring when they do "day for night" kind of shots from Ghidorah, the Three Headed Monster.

I definitely agree that this is a good entry in the series. Some great characters. Plus, a really long entertaining tag teamed battle. It's a fun film, but you can have a little bit of symbolism with the cockroaches and their origin without ruining the campy vibe. Amazing film to smoke weed while watching if you live in a legal state. :P

GojiDog
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 773
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:16 pm

Re: Talkback Thread #12: Godzilla vs. Gigan (1972)

Postby GojiDog » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:57 am

One thing I will always appreciate about this film:

The first time I saw it as a kid, I remember being completely shocked when Gigan caused Godzilla to bleed.

It wasn't so shocking to see blood in a giant monster movie because I had seen some of the Gamera films already, and movies like Clash of the Titans, but up to that point, I didn't even know Godzilla could bleed. I thought his skin was too strong to penetrate.

Now here comes this giant cyborg chicken that sliced into Godzilla like he was made of paper. It was a shocking moment for my 6 year old mind to process and it firmly established Gigan as one of the big bads to me.

User avatar
Gojira18
G-Grasper
Posts: 1289
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:00 pm

Re: Talkback Thread #12: Godzilla vs. Gigan (1972)

Postby Gojira18 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:51 pm

Probably one of the worst of the franchise imo. Combine the shameless stock footage, mostly boring characters, and some really dumb decisions, I just can't find myself to like this film. MAYBE when I see it again tomorrow in my G marathon things will change. MAYBE.

User avatar
UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 13966
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:40 am
Location: Western New York
Contact:

Re: Talkback Thread #12: Godzilla vs. Gigan (1972)

Postby UltramanGoji » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:28 pm

The characters are the best part about this movie. Everyone is charismatic, likeable, and memorable. The special effects scenes rely too much on stock footage and move at a really slow pace.
Last edited by UltramanGoji on Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image

User avatar
Gojira-Fan
G-Grasper
Posts: 1438
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:45 pm

Re: Talkback Thread #12: Godzilla vs. Gigan (1972)

Postby Gojira-Fan » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:56 pm

Gojira18 wrote:Probably one of the worst of the franchise imo. Combine the shameless stock footage, mostly boring characters, and some really dumb decisions, I just can't find myself to like this film. MAYBE when I see it again tomorrow in my G marathon things will change. MAYBE.


I used to feel the same way but I've grown to enjoy the movie. As UltramanGoji said, the characters are really appealing in this movie. You have to like the Showa era style if you are going to enjoy this one however. It is true the movie is not perfect. I have just gotten used to stock footage in Godzilla movies so it doesn't really bother me.

User avatar
Gojira18
G-Grasper
Posts: 1289
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:00 pm

Re: Talkback Thread #12: Godzilla vs. Gigan (1972)

Postby Gojira18 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:04 am

Gojira-Fan wrote:
Gojira18 wrote:Probably one of the worst of the franchise imo. Combine the shameless stock footage, mostly boring characters, and some really dumb decisions, I just can't find myself to like this film. MAYBE when I see it again tomorrow in my G marathon things will change. MAYBE.


I used to feel the same way but I've grown to enjoy the movie. As UltramanGoji said, the characters are really appealing in this movie. You have to like the Showa era style if you are going to enjoy this one however. It is true the movie is not perfect. I have just gotten used to stock footage in Godzilla movies so it doesn't really bother me.

That's probably my problem then. I'm not head over heels in love with the Showa era style.

edgaguirus
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 5492
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:25 pm

Re: Talkback Thread #12: Godzilla vs. Gigan (1972)

Postby edgaguirus » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:10 pm

They didn't have much choice when it came to using stock footage. Budgets were pretty tight, and they had to use every trick they had. However, G vs G is a good film with likable characters, an excellent rampage scene, and good monster action.
Kaiju are just like people- giant, radioactive people.

Megalon went into a bar and saw Gigan. Megalon said, " Again? I thought you gave this up."
" What can I say," Gigan asked. " I'm hooked."

User avatar
Gojira-Fan
G-Grasper
Posts: 1438
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:45 pm

Re: Talkback Thread #12: Godzilla vs. Gigan (1972)

Postby Gojira-Fan » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:30 pm

edgaguirus wrote:They didn't have much choice when it came to using stock footage. Budgets were pretty tight, and they had to use every trick they had. However, G vs G is a good film with likable characters, an excellent rampage scene, and good monster action.


Exactly. I feel it is a lot easier to forgive the 70's movies sins because the Japanese film industry was not doing well back then. Yet these movies still end up being pretty good and entertaining despite that.

User avatar
Godzillian
Kwaidan
Posts: 5788
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:36 pm

Re: Talkback Thread #12: Godzilla vs. Gigan (1972)

Postby Godzillian » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:55 am

Gojira-Fan wrote:
edgaguirus wrote:They didn't have much choice when it came to using stock footage. Budgets were pretty tight, and they had to use every trick they had. However, G vs G is a good film with likable characters, an excellent rampage scene, and good monster action.


Exactly. I feel it is a lot easier to forgive the 70's movies sins because the Japanese film industry was not doing well back then. Yet these movies still end up being pretty good and entertaining despite that.

Except money problems dont excuse all the 70s films problems
Image

User avatar
MechaGoji Bro7503
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 5428
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:02 pm
Location: Black Hole Planet 3
Contact:

Re: Talkback Thread #12: Godzilla vs. Gigan (1972)

Postby MechaGoji Bro7503 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:56 am

This film does have some of the best characters in the franchise. Heck, the Showa Era usually does have the most memorable characters.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

Dv-218 wrote:This is so sad, Alexa play "Bio-Wars".

Dr. Professor wrote:If I had a dollar for every "SAVE MOTHRA" joke, I'd be able to buy Legendary Pictures, renew the license for Godzilla, acquire the rights to the rest of the Toho monsters, and make a Godzilla film that totally bombs without even putting a dent in my bank account.

"Wake the fruck up Godzilla, we got a city to burn." - Goro Maki, 2016.


Return to “Showa Series (1930's-1970's)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests