Talkback Thread #12: Godzilla vs. Gigan (1972)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Arrow
Gotengo Officer

Talkback Thread #12: Godzilla vs. Gigan (1972)

Post by Arrow »

Godzilla vs. Gigan

Discuss the 1972 Godzilla movie, which introduces one of Godzilla's most popular villains: Gigan. And please, let's keep it civil.
Last edited by Arrow on Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Guardian7
Monarch Researcher

Re: Talkback Thread #12: Godzilla vs. Gigan (1972)

Post by Guardian7 »

My least favorite film of Godzilla (I have both the American and Japanese versions of this film - neither are good. Though the Japanese one is mildly better).
The human element really sucked in this one. except for Tomoko Tomoe- Gengo's girlfriend (Yuriko Hishimi) she out shined them all! (Which really wouldn't have taken much! LOL)
Kaiju stuff was cool and it was great to see Anguirus in action.
Gigan was a beautiful foe and had a great and unusual look!
Always fun to see Ghidorah!

If they had cut all the human stuff out I might have liked it better.

G7

Legionmaster
Xilien Halfling

Post by Legionmaster »

It's so much fun. And has the best score of basically any of the movies. And has Gigan, who is awesome. And the Nebula M Spacehunter aliens are classic body snatchers.
bleep bloop

DaikaijuSokogeki!
JXSDF Technician

Post by DaikaijuSokogeki! »

This film was my favorite Godzilla film for the LOOOONGEST time. It was all so much fun, and I still think it is. On a filmmaking sense, the film's truly bad. But from a fun sense, this film's a classic. The characters don't get in the way of the action at all, which works since the only point of this film was to see Godzilla and Anguirus rock. Gigan's an insanely strange and creative kaiju design, and the SPFX (stock footage aside) can be pretty solid when they want to be (case in point: the sequence at the oil refinery). Although the film was slapped together quickly, it has a strange charm to it. The music works absolutely perfectly even though it's all stock, especially considering that's what most of Ifukube's later scores are (burn).

So yeah, highly underrated Godzilla film. I enjoyed it immensely when I was 4 and I continue to to this very day.

HayesAJones
Keizer

Post by HayesAJones »

This movie is simply pure fun. It's no masterpiece, but it's incredible entertaining. Gotta love the Godzilla and Anguirus tag-team duo!

TokyoVigilante
Futurian

Post by TokyoVigilante »

Probably one of my favorite human cast in a Godzilla film. While they don't undergo or heavy development and are mostly two-dimensional, the film doesn't suffer from too many characters and you can identify who is who easily (Unlike in say, Godzilla Vs. Mechagodzilla).

The Nebulans are one of the best that Toho has devised. Peace through total Destruction, while not exactly bursting with originality or depth, is a disturbing notion. Not to mention, the idea of humanoid cockroaches inhabiting the bodies of our dead to parade around in neon orange blazers is unsettling in its own right.

Gigan is a classic. He's such a great looking creature and one of the coolest Godzilla has ever fought. Anguirus is looking great here, Godzilla and Ghidorah, not so much.

It's a fun movie. One of the best to come from the 70s era. But I wouldn't rate it very high in comparison with the rest of the franchise. But it is respectable in a few areas.
“I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.” - Ray Bradbury

ZigraDude
Monarch Researcher

Post by ZigraDude »

Godzilla vs. Gigan is one of my favorite Godzilla movies. It's the best example of a cheesy "Golden-Age" Toho monster flick. The human scenes are just fun to watch and the monsters are great. Sure, Godzilla wasn't looking his best in this film, but he certainly fared better than the King Ghidorah suit. Aside from the film's lowpoints (My biggest complaint is the lighting with the stock footage, but even that isn't a major problem to me), it's an overall fun monster flick. The dubbing IMO makes the movie a little more fun if you ask me. I even like the Godzilla March theme at the end of the film. :D Overall, my favorite Godzilla movie from the 70's and one Godzilla movie I watch often.

g2kmaster
JXSDF Technician

Post by g2kmaster »

Love it, love it, love it. One of the first Showa films I saw and after seeing it on the big screen, I wouldn't be surprised that if I sat and thought about my 10 favorite Goji films, this would make it to the top 10. And I love the dub!

Mac
Samurai

Post by Mac »

I can understand why people like this film, nostalgia and all, but this film isn't underrated. The movie is legitimately terrible.

The battles are ponderous, sloppy and slow, and when things do pick up and get exciting, its usually on account of stock footage. The scene with Anguirus debating whether to help his downed foe in the face of Gigan's chainsaw and Gigan swooping down on Godzilla are probably the only well-shot scenes in the whole battle. In the end, the Monsterland set and the variety of colorful characters are the only reason to watch this film in my book.

Dash 7
Monarch Researcher

Post by Dash 7 »

I love this movie. It's fun.

Mostly for Yuriko Hishimi! Besides that, I think Gigan is an excellent foe for the big G and really well designed. The pyrotechnics in the refinery scene are excellent. I also like the idea of the Nebulans, to me they are some of the more sympathetic and well-written of the G-series aliens. The only real gripe i have with the movie is the gratuitous stock footage. They could have left it out and the movie would have been fine.
Official Tokusatsu TV expert of TK.

GotengoXGodzilla
EDF Instructor

Post by GotengoXGodzilla »

This is a fun Godzilla film. Yeah, the stock footage gets old, but the fights are enjoyable and the characters are actually entertaining to watch. In fact, I'd say that the characters are more fun to watch than the actual monsters. It seems like a tribute to the 60s Godzilla films, like Invasion Of The Astro Monster, so I'd say that its a great one to watch.
Check out my film blog - Seeing Is Believing

DaiKamonohashi
Interpol Agent

Post by DaiKamonohashi »

This is, quite literally, my favorite film of all time. Out of everything, not just Godzilla or Tokusatsu films. Just ever.

Actually, this is also one of the few films in which I prefer the dubbed version over the original Japanese (Ted Thomas as Kubota is legendary in my mind!) - though the Japanese has one line that destroys me in fits of laughter every time:

http://imgur.com/EL508.jpg

Really, you could cut all the monster scenes and I would still be massively entertained by this film as its human cast is my favorite set of characters in the entire film. Despite the faults of the film due to the limitations of the period in which it was made, I have a really hard time finding it in myself to call this a "bad" film. Given their difficulties at the time, I would say that Fukuda and Nakano succeeded in crafting an extremely lively and fun film, which also has some very stylish cinematography at times to boot.

In conclusion: Godzilla Vs. Gigan > Life

DrKaiju1954
G-Grasper

Post by DrKaiju1954 »

One of my first and favorite Godzilla movies.The cheesy factor is the reason why i love it plus the action is great.Seeing Anguirus and King Ghidorah is always great.
"You're trespassing in my reality. Ask permission next time."

Jesse
Samurai

Post by Jesse »

I love this movie. It's my favorite of the Showa series. It's goofy, has some of my favorite monsters, and the fight scene at the end lasts fairly long. I just never got King Ghidorah though. He looks terrible, especially compared to what he looked like in "Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster." When stock footage was used from GTHM, it looked so much better, even though they were constantly changing from day to night. I, even as a kid, never understood how Ghidorah stood his own against Godzilla, Mothra, and Rodan but was pretty much pwned in this movie. Whatever.

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

Uh.....used to like it when I was younger, but I can't stand the film anymore. I just find it boring. *SPOILER ALERT*Godzilla suddenly regains his strength after getting his ass kicked by Gigan and King Ghidorah, while Anguirus just sits there and watches for 10+ minutes. I believe that the addition of King Ghidorah was unnecessary, since he seemed to do more damage than Gigan any way. Overall, I think it's a low point in the Showa series.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

Arrow
Gotengo Officer

Post by Arrow »

Hellspawn28 wrote:Are we going to get a talkback thread for Godzilla vs. Megalon, and Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla soon?
Yes. Arbok asked me to slow down on them due to the fact that they dominate this section, but I'll be doing Megalon next week.
SuperSaiyan4Godzilla wrote:Such a lovely film
I assume you're being sarcastic.

As much as I enjoy Godzilla vs. Gigan, even I'll agree that it's legitimately, undeniably, and inexcusably terrible. Even this has its redeeming points, however. What keeps Gigan from being an abysmal failure are probably its collection of colorful human characters - with Tomoko Umeda (a.k.a. the karate girl) being my favorite. The monster scenes are long and drawn-out, but I actually feel myself sucked into the part where Godzilla begins to take a beating from Gigan and King Ghidorah. Angurius' attempt as rescue was also a highlight. GvsG was one of my favorites as a child and I still look fondly on it today.

DaiKamonohashi
Interpol Agent

Post by DaiKamonohashi »

Arrow wrote:inexcusably terrible.
Arguable!

Arrow
Gotengo Officer

Post by Arrow »

DaiKamonohashi wrote:
Arguable!
Not really.

While I still enjoy Godzilla vs. Gigan, it falls somewhere near Godzilla Raids Again and King Kong vs. Godzilla as my least favorite Showa movie. It's a lot of fun, but it's got no excuse - seeing as Revenge, Hedorah, and Megalon all manage to be better despite suffering the same limitations.

... well, you could actually argue Megalon. But I like that film more than I like this one.

DaiKamonohashi
Interpol Agent

Post by DaiKamonohashi »

Arrow wrote:
DaiKamonohashi wrote:
Arguable!
Not really.

While I still enjoy Godzilla vs. Gigan, it falls somewhere near Godzilla Raids Again and King Kong vs. Godzilla as my least favorite Showa movie. It's a lot of fun, but it's got no excuse - seeing as Revenge, Hedorah, and Megalon all manage to be better despite suffering the same limitations.

... well, you could actually argue Megalon. But I like that film more than I like this one.
The way I see it, Fukuda, Nakano et al. made an extremely entertaining film in a time when the Japanese film industry was dying and Toho didn't want to budget a dime towards a movie series that was only being made for children's festivals. Compare that to the 90s films or Final Wars - Godzilla movies with nigh-unprecedented budgets that by and large have dull, plodding storylines, boring characters*, and fail miserably at effects shots that were created infinitely better forty years prior (for example, see Rodan).

* Final Wars is the exception - it has the potential to be a lot of fun given its plot and character set-up but in execution it is little more than a mess.

Much as I enjoy the other three films you mentioned, Gigan is easily the most entertaining in my opinion.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

DaiKamonohashi wrote:
Arguable!
Agreed. I think it's more like "excusably terrible", all things considered. The movie is fun as hell either way. I do find it more entertaining dubbed though, I have to say.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.