Talkback Thread #12: Godzilla vs. Gigan (1972)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Re: Talkback Thread #12: Godzilla vs. Gigan (1972)

Post by Zarm »

It's funny; having done a lot of work on this one recently... there isn't honestly as much stock footage as there's cracked up to be. Like, there's a huge amount- and the least-compatible- in a 10-minute period during the initial rampage, primarily of Ghidorah destroying things (along with the airplane and maser attacks), although it's integrated pretty thoroughly with new footage. Then, during the battle, there are two stock footage sequences lifted from GTTHM (and even then, re-edited a bit), both of which are only 10-20 seconds, the 20-second-ish sequence of Anguirus vs. Ghidorah from DAM, and a few brief seconds of Godzilla stomping Ghidorah's necks from the same film.

Don't get me wrong- the mismatch of suits and the terrible day-for-night can be jarring (although the first GTTHM sequence is isolated and not up against other footage, and the two GTTHM sequences blend near-seamlessly (the day-for-night is the only real giveaway), so the jarring nature is reduced whenever possible)- but even so, the total runtime is surprisingly low, a few minutes worth of footage at most- and probably only one minute total after the initial Gigan/Ghidorah rampage sequence.

Not to defend it, per se- I was just surprised to find out how comparatively little (and well-integrated when possible) it actually was.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

This one is probably my least favorite of the 70's...although it still has its moments.

Gigan has an interesting design...and I like that.

The human leads never change their clothes during the entire film...which is kind of funny...
and smelly.
Last edited by Grievous on Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

It wasn't until a few years ago did I notice all the stock footage this movie has. That being said, at least it's used well enough.

I really like Gigan's design. Weird and original, yet still somehow grounded. I actually like it far better then the Final Wars version of him. If anything else, the movie is certainly more grounded the Godzilla vs. Hedorah. The battle between Godzilla and Angurius vs King Ghidorah and Gigan is well worth it. What really surprised me is how Gigan is the first of Godzilla's foes to actually make Godzilla bleed.

One of my all time favorites.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Rhedosaurus wrote:It wasn't until a few years ago did I notice all the stock footage this movie has. That being said, at least it's used well enough.
Not really, the stock footage is sloppy at best. You have clearly daytime shots trying to be passed for night ones, kaiju that arent in the film appearing, and awkward editing in.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

Godzillian wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:It wasn't until a few years ago did I notice all the stock footage this movie has. That being said, at least it's used well enough.
Not really, the stock footage is sloppy at best. You have clearly daytime shots trying to be passed for night ones, kaiju that arent in the film appearing
You guys have no taste, Mothra larva makes the movie.
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

Gailah 1966
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gailah 1966 »

As I watched the german version of this movie I found out that they had no speech bubbles and no voices for the monster talk. This made the "talking scenes" much more honest and gave the movie an adult touch compared to the american and japanese versions.

And by the way: this is the movie I watched most of all movies in my life* (so far). It also was my first Godzilla movie (first love <3 ) and still one of the best for my taste until today.

*round about 30 times
Last edited by Gailah 1966 on Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
BIG FAN SURVEY 2023 --> viewtopic.php?t=34920
BIG FAN SURVEY 2020 --> viewtopic.php?t=30470
Video of 2020´s results --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUxyzsQxwa4

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Gailah 1966 wrote:As I watched the german version of this movie I found out that they had no speech bubbles and no voices for the monster talk. This made the "talking scenes" much more honest and gave the movie an adult touch compared to the american and japanese versions.
I'm not sure what you mean by "honest."

Regardless, those speech bubbles in the Japanese version are an aspect of the manga-influence/theme that runs throughout the movie, and their absence in international versions interferes with that throughline.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

eabaker wrote:
Gailah 1966 wrote:As I watched the german version of this movie I found out that they had no speech bubbles and no voices for the monster talk. This made the "talking scenes" much more honest and gave the movie an adult touch compared to the american and japanese versions.
I'm not sure what you mean by "honest."

Regardless, those speech bubbles in the Japanese version are an aspect of the manga-influence/theme that runs throughout the movie, and their absence in international versions interferes with that throughline.
Working on it, working on it... :)
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

So...serious question...

Why does Godzilla vs. Gigan get more of a "free pass" than Godzilla vs. Megalon?

I mean both films are extremely flawed but enjoyable...but I've never understood the appeal
& fandom love vs. Gigan gets.

Do you think the MST3K episode has anything to do with it?

Like the roles would have been reversed if MSTSK had chosen to riff Gigan instead of Megalon?

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Grievous wrote:So...serious question...

Why does Godzilla vs. Gigan get more of a "free pass" than Godzilla vs. Megalon?

I mean both films are extremely flawed but enjoyable...but I've never understood the appeal
& fandom love vs. Gigan gets.

Do you think the MST3K episode has anything to do with it?

Like the roles would have been reversed if MSTSK had chosen to riff Gigan instead of Megalon?
I wouldn't say that Gigan gets a free pass (it has some pretty serious detractors, and nobody calls it anything like a perfect movie), but that it has a lot more going from it. It has more fully realized and entertaining human characters, a better structured plot, a kind of interesting (if not especially meaningful) aesthetic/thematic conceit, and more appealing production design.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

eabaker wrote:I wouldn't say that Gigan gets a free pass (it has some pretty serious detractors, and nobody calls it anything like a perfect movie), but that it has a lot more going from it. It has more fully realized and entertaining human characters, a better structured plot, a kind of interesting (if not especially meaningful) aesthetic/thematic conceit, and more appealing production design.
A fair call...

I just think vs. Megalon is more fun & therefore better.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Grievous wrote:
eabaker wrote:I wouldn't say that Gigan gets a free pass (it has some pretty serious detractors, and nobody calls it anything like a perfect movie), but that it has a lot more going from it. It has more fully realized and entertaining human characters, a better structured plot, a kind of interesting (if not especially meaningful) aesthetic/thematic conceit, and more appealing production design.
A fair call...

I just think vs. Megalon is more fun & therefore better.
I find the kaiju parts of Megalon a little more fun, but the human parts of Gigan a lot more fun.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

eabaker wrote:I find the kaiju parts of Megalon a little more fun, but the human parts of Gigan a lot more fun.
I guess...

I mean..."Karate Girlfriend" is pretty cool...
but everyone else is kind of boring to me.

I guess I'll nearly always go with the weird
& strange in the Godzilla franchise...its just
how I roll.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Grievous wrote:
eabaker wrote:I find the kaiju parts of Megalon a little more fun, but the human parts of Gigan a lot more fun.
I guess...

how I roll.
I definitely also favor the weird and strange - Hedorah is solidly my favorite G-flick of the 70s - but I'd put Gigan in that category as well. :)

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Weird and strange are right. I was thinking about this movie's story last night, and... well, try to look at it from a neutral, non-fan's perspective, and tell me that this thing does not sound completely nuts. Alien cockroaches building an amusement park with which to take over the world? A comic book artist and his karate-trained girlfriend teaming up with corn-wielding hippies to take them down in a plan involving hot-air balloons? Godzilla and Anguirus talk to each other, with actual English dialogue in one version? They take on a mind-controlled three-headed dragon and a flying cyborg cyclops space chicken with a fucking buzzsaw in its stomach? A museum shaped like a life-sized Godzilla replica and armed with lasers in its mouth? There's some out-there stuff going on in this movie.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

eabaker wrote:I definitely also favor the weird and strange - Hedorah is solidly my favorite G-flick of the 70s - but I'd put Gigan in that category as well. :)
We should be friends.

:thumbsup:

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

JAGzilla wrote:Weird and strange are right. I was thinking about this movie's story last night, and... well, try to look at it from a neutral, non-fan's perspective, and tell me that this thing does not sound completely nuts. Alien cockroaches building an amusement park with which to take over the world? A comic book artist and his karate-trained girlfriend teaming up with corn-wielding hippies to take them down in a plan involving hot-air balloons? Godzilla and Anguirus talk to each other, with actual English dialogue in one version? They take on a mind-controlled three-headed dragon and a flying cyborg cyclops space chicken with a fucking buzzsaw in its stomach? A museum shaped like a life-sized Godzilla replica and armed with lasers in its mouth? There's some out-there stuff going on in this movie.
Sounds like the plot of a crazy anime.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Grievous wrote: I guess...

how I roll.
Yeah, like eabaker said the characters are really entertaining in this one. Also how did you forget Corn Cob Hippie? He's a god.

I'm also a big fan of the weird entries. Vs Gigan is one of them.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Yeah, like eabaker said the characters are really entertaining in this one. Also how did you forget Corn Cob Hippie? He's a god.
I prefer young hippie chick...but whatever.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:I'm also a big fan of the weird entries. Vs Gigan is one of them.
I actually don't class vs. Gigan in as a "weird" one...but that's just me.
Last edited by Grievous on Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

Remember that time I confessed that I don't like Godzilla vs. Gigan?
Maritonic wrote:
Dr. Professor wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:
I consider Megaguirus the worst. Hate that film
That's actually my fifth least favorite, behind Gigan and G'98
Whoa whoa Gigan doesn't deserve that shiit!! Where's goji89?! He'll have a heartattack!
goji89 wrote:
Dr. Professor wrote: That's actually my fifth least favorite, behind Gigan and G'98
^^^____^^^^_______^^^^^^^^___________________________
Flatlined.

I mean Ive read some stupid, crazy, mean, ignorant, absurd, funny, ridiculous and wholesome....things here in TK but I have never seen such a post that just breaks all Godzilla norms. I truly believe sir that we all here at TK feel sorry for that opinion (or whatever the hell you call it) and that you seek help immediately.

Gigan has the most memorable scenes in the franchise. Talking Goji and Anguirus, red blood, violent as hell, the corn guy, hippies, giant alien roaches, stock footage galore and the fighting stage is a theme park for crying out loud.....I mean, Jesus....I gotta sit down.
Well folks, I busted out the ol' 50th Anniversary DVD from 2004 and I'm giving it a second chance after years of not watching it! Will my opinion change? Probably not!
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa: