Talkback Thread #12: Godzilla vs. Gigan (1972)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Re: Talkback Thread #12: Godzilla vs. Gigan (1972)

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

This was one of my top Godzilla movies when i was younger, I loved Gigan an Ghidorah an when Godzilla spoke with Anguirus on monster island i thought it was the coolest thing ever. Loved the music.... Loved the ending fight where Godzilla kicked Gigan's ass an him an Anguirus fucked up Ghidorah.

This will always have a special place for me in the Godzilla series.

godzilla1996
Monsterland Worker

Post by godzilla1996 »

Gigan is one of my favorite monsters. This movie is a lot like Godzilla vs. Spacegodzilla though. Not the tone, and the music is better, but it drags on for a while, and then there is a big battle at the end. This movie also brings back King Ghidorah, and Anguiras. I think this is also Godzilla's first tag-team match. Other than the overuse of stock footage, this is a good movie.
Formerly known as godzilla2001.
Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely. Yeah moderators!
@ omgitsgodzilla, the double rainbow means that Godzilla is on some really good shit

Mini-Godzilla
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mini-Godzilla »

Toho's response to accusations that their movies were little more than live-action comic books, maybe? Our protagonist is an artist/illustrator who has to battle evil orange-suit-wearing cockroaches disguised as dead humans in a Godzilla-shaped building with the help of his newfound hippie friends. Godzilla and Anguiras, once mortal enemies, now chat it up on Monster Island while Stock-Footage King Ghidorah brings along his own new buddy, the titular robot chicken with a buzzsaw belly. Excelsior! The recycled material really hampers the otherwise decent (and gory) fight, but the main appeal here is the fun cast of human characters. For some reason, the movie works even better in the bad English dub (maybe it blends well with the patchwork musical score, or maybe it's just nostalgia, as this is one of the first G-flicks that I saw).
Godzilla says I should learn to fight my own battles!

GodzillavsJason
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GodzillavsJason »

Ah yes. The best one of them all. Godzilla vs Gigan. It has 4 great monsters in it. The music score was great. Has my favorite suit of Godzilla in and it was just GREAT! I was blown away by this movie. This is the best Godzilla film no doubt about it.
52 wins and 27 loses
TK's Number 1 Fan of Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Evil Dead, The Thing, and Red vs Blue!

GodzillaDude
Futurian

Post by GodzillaDude »

This and Godzilla vs Hedorah are two of my favorite films from the Showa era. I've only seen Godzilla vs Gigan once but I remember really liking it. And now just yesterday I bought Godzilla vs Hedorah and Godzilla vs Gigan on DVD and I am going to watch Godzilla vs Gigan this Sunday.
SA
W: 72 L: 72

Instagram: @bloodeejacobreviews

Youtube channel (TV shows, movies, games, horror in general, etc): http://www.youtube.com/c/BloodeeJacob

GodzillavsJason
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GodzillavsJason »

GodzillaDude wrote:This and Godzilla vs Hedorah are two of my favorite films from the Showa era. I've only seen Godzilla vs Gigan once but I remember really liking it. And now just yesterday I bought Godzilla vs Hedorah and Godzilla vs Gigan on DVD and I am going to watch Godzilla vs Gigan this Sunday.
Dude even if you saw it once. Your gonna like it again and want to watch again. Like i said it has tons of great things like with the four great monsters in it. So have fun watching Godzilla vs Gigan. :mrgreen:
52 wins and 27 loses
TK's Number 1 Fan of Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Evil Dead, The Thing, and Red vs Blue!

godzillafan
Samurai

Post by godzillafan »

it my favorite godzilla movie out of the whole franchise
kaiju fan for life

TokyoVigilante
Futurian

Post by TokyoVigilante »

Just rewatched this for the hell of it. This movie gushes energy and the final battle in the remains of Childrens Land is one of the weirdest battlefields in the franchise (Giant ceramic mushrooms? Random industrial, art deco pyramids? triple-whaa). Anguirus really shines as a character here, and Gigan is one of the greatest things to come out of the seventies (a close second to Mechagodzilla).

And regardless of the suit inconsistencies, the fight between Godzilla and King Ghidorah in this movie is wicked; the footage from Monster Zero and Gt3hM is edited together pretty tightly. Probably one of the best clashes between Godzilla and King Ghidorah ever.
“I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.” - Ray Bradbury

I_Am_Gigan
Yojimbo

Post by I_Am_Gigan »

Took a while to get going, but definitely one of my personal favorites. Even with the stock footage, the fight was awesome, and it was cool to see that Gigan and King Ghidorah teamed up could put Godzilla and Anguirus into a bit of a struggle at one point, and how the underdogs quickly seized the opportunity, and regained the high ground. It was a fun movie, and when I saw it as a child, it was nerve-wracking to see Godzilla get beat up pretty bad, and funny to see Gigan get chicken and try to run once Godzilla... reclaimed his place in the fight :twisted: .
I have a tattoo of Zilla... just to anger Godzilla even more

Hotrod93
G-Force Personnel

Post by Hotrod93 »

"Im hard bitch"

This line alone made me love the film.
Tyler wrote:$200 if I hump a car.

Monsterzero 1965
Monarch Researcher

Post by Monsterzero 1965 »

Hotrod93 wrote:"Im hard bitch"

This line alone made me love the film.
The actual line is "You're a hard bitch."

Starfishman
Monarch Researcher

Post by Starfishman »

One of my personal favorite Godzilla films. It gueshes with so much energy. Perhaps the best Godzilla films from the 1970's

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Starfishman wrote:Perhaps the best Godzilla film from the 1970's
I love it too...but it's definitely not that good.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Mini-Godzilla
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mini-Godzilla »

This film seems to stand out as the most beloved of the "bad" Godzilla movies.
Godzilla says I should learn to fight my own battles!

Battra2346
Monarch Researcher

Post by Battra2346 »

Tyler wrote:
Godzilla 1995 wrote:No, he must've thought it was corn.
But my corns always hurt!
I don't care about your corns!
It's a signature with words.What more can you want?

Starfishman
Monarch Researcher

Post by Starfishman »

Tyler wrote:
Battra2346 wrote:I don't care about your corns!
But they always hurt when a monster is near!
Great when you & the monster meet be sure to tell him all about your corn problems

Gojira-Fan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira-Fan »

After watching the Honda films, it was sad to see the series go in this direction. The special effects weren't that great, and then they used stock footage from movies I have already seen that have better special effects; which just makes the comparison all that bad.
I didn't find the characters all that likeable either. Godzilla "talking" brings it even more down for me.
Too bad though, I like Gigan's design. Too bad all the movies he appears in are crap.
I can't blame anyone's talents, although. Well, maybe Sekizawa for re-using a same old tired formula in this script. But I am aware this was made on an extremely low budget, and Fukuda is fairly competent when given a good budget.
All of these issues bring this movie down, especially when compared to Godzilla's heyday. Also, I can find little positive in this movie. The fight wasn't even that entertaining. Ghidorah looks barely alive. And it makes me upset when they re-use the same shot like 3 or 4 times. I get it. Godzilla is throwing King Ghidorah over his back. There's no need to show it again.
I'm glad you guys can enjoy the movie though.

I_Am_Gigan
Yojimbo

Post by I_Am_Gigan »

I forgot all about that magnificent conversation between Godzilla and Anguirus. Puhahahahahaha :lol:
Then they proceeded to warp Godzilla's roar into... disc scratching...
Atleast the Japanese version had the talk bubbles for Godzilla and Anguirus, and kept their real roars.

And you would think Ghidorah would have seen moves like that coming ahead of time, having fought Godzilla before.

123go
Samurai

Post by 123go »

Man, every time I see this movie talked about it makes me wish the original version King Ghidorah Returns would have been made in its place. It would have been sweet to see Varan in action as well as watching Rodan kick Gigans butt as it was originally written.

I_Am_Gigan
Yojimbo

Post by I_Am_Gigan »

123go wrote:Man, every time I see this movie talked about it makes me wish the original version King Ghidorah Returns would have been made in its place. It would have been sweet to see Varan in action as well as watching Rodan kick Gigans butt as it was originally written.
It definitely would have been interesting to see that approach, but at the same time, I was pleased with Godzilla vs Gigan. It was a fun movie, and had it's dramatic "oh my god... Godzilla is gonna lose" intensity. It felt like it was taking forever to get to that point, and if anything I wish they would have had more monster fighting than humans scurrying... but overall I wouldn't say I was or am disappointed with it.

Gigan definitely made an awesome introduction into the Godzilla Universe with this film, and gave a name for himself as a violent and brutal opponent. Gigan paired with King Ghidorah was B.A. as well, they worked extremely well together I thought.

Now to see Varan and Rodan tag team with Godzilla against Gigan and King Ghidorah would have been a sick fight nonetheless.