Talkback Thread #10: All Monsters Attack (1969)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
User avatar
Maritonic
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5589
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:26 am
Location: UberRichNewYork

Re: Talkback Thread #10: All Monsters Attack (1969)

Postby Maritonic » Thu May 16, 2019 8:34 am

eabaker wrote:
Maritonic wrote:Not sure why this is a point of contention.


Because not everyone perceives the character or the circumstances the same way that you do.


I never said everyone did. I have said that I have.
Resized Image

All Hope Is Gone.

goji89 wrote:So.......are we gonna Kinkshame the skreeonking birds or what?

User avatar
Zarm
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 4772
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:21 pm
Location: USA, East Coast
Contact:

Re: Talkback Thread #10: All Monsters Attack (1969)

Postby Zarm » Thu May 16, 2019 9:00 am

Maritonic wrote:
eabaker wrote:
Maritonic wrote:
I certainly do. The way he acts the entire film. He's not really a "good" kid. He's kind of a shithead haha.


I can't think of any moments in which he demonstrates cruelty, or exploits any kind of power over anyone else.


From my perspective, he's simply not a "nice, good" child. He's a punk. He jumps on the guys car, punks the painter guy, laughs at the old man's pain and expense.


I think from my perspective, this is it, too. He demonstrates cruelty to the painter; that, to me, is the key. It's not necessarily that he is going to be a bully to those in a lower social strata- but he does go after someone unsuspecting, who has done no harm to them- and the potential for his actions to cause them harm is something he expressed awareness of earlier in the movie. That, combined with a general lack of compassion, kindness, responsibility, etc. (i.e. general being a jerk), combines to paint a poor character picture. He doesn't seem to care much about anyone else; never really thanks his saint of a neighbor, I don't recall him ever sticking up for his friend (I thought he just abandoned her when the bullies showed up, but I freely admit I don't remember clearly enough to say), doesn't respect other people's property or consider when they may be in pain or distress; sure, all of these are kid traits. But when he caps it off by doing something malicious to a person that, while not of lower social strata, is still very much someone he has power over (via the element of surprise, their unsuspecting nature, and remote position)- something that he does knowingly, having already recognized the potential consequences to their person earlier- it paints him as, if not technically a 'bully' in the traditional 'picking on the younger/weaker' sense, still someone with a bullying, cruel, or thuggish mindset... someone who has turned on the moral code he previously espoused (and which already had some significant... room for improvement, to begin with).

(Although, I do find the toymaker in pain scene ambiguous enough that I could read it as 'Ichiro didn't quite realize he'd gotten hurt, and was just being a little clueless in thinking the guy was practicing his monster roars while holding his foot.' :) I mean, let's face it- kids can be a bit dense, sometimes.) ;)
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:


Winner of the last-ever(?) TK Fantasy Match tournament.

#ProLife

The Zone Fighter campaign is funded and complete, with translations in progress! PM me if you want to be part of the Facebook updates group.

Maranatha!

User avatar
The Baranosdragon
Samurai
Posts: 134
Joined: Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:45 pm

Re: Talkback Thread #10: All Monsters Attack (1969)

Postby The Baranosdragon » Thu May 16, 2019 11:36 am

Honestly, when all is said and done... I dislike this film, but not to the level many others tend to. Sure, Godzilla's new suit is rather lame, Minilla talking was completely unnecessary, Gabara is likely among the worst monsters introduced to the franchise, and the overall production of the film comes across as rather crude... but even with all of that said, there is minor entertainment value in this film, if for the wrong reasons. Even if this film may be among the worst produced in the franchise, it at least has the advantage of being entertaining, if nothing else.
January 1st, 1929 - August 8th, 2017. May Haruo Nakajima Rest in Peace.

User avatar
eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 10694
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:16 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Talkback Thread #10: All Monsters Attack (1969)

Postby eabaker » Thu May 16, 2019 11:50 am

The Baranosdragon wrote:Godzilla's new suit is rather lame


There was no new suit made for this movie. What little new fx footage they filmed used the suit from DAM.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

User avatar
UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 13311
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:40 am
Location: Western New York
Contact:

Re: Talkback Thread #10: All Monsters Attack (1969)

Postby UltramanGoji » Thu May 16, 2019 2:49 pm

Speaking of suits, this would technically be the film with the largest amount of distinct designs used to represent a single Godzilla (NankaiGoji, SoshingekiGoji, MusukoGoji).
Image

User avatar
The Baranosdragon
Samurai
Posts: 134
Joined: Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:45 pm

Re: Talkback Thread #10: All Monsters Attack (1969)

Postby The Baranosdragon » Thu May 16, 2019 3:13 pm

eabaker wrote:
The Baranosdragon wrote:Godzilla's new suit is rather lame


There was no new suit made for this movie. What little new fx footage they filmed used the suit from DAM.


Oh, it was? My mistake.

Correction: I am not a fan of SoshingekiGoji, and wish they had used a new design (outside of stock footage). I suppose that was a symptom of tighter budgets.
Last edited by The Baranosdragon on Thu May 16, 2019 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
January 1st, 1929 - August 8th, 2017. May Haruo Nakajima Rest in Peace.

User avatar
Terasawa
G-Grasper
Posts: 1190
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:06 am

Re: Talkback Thread #10: All Monsters Attack (1969)

Postby Terasawa » Thu May 16, 2019 3:48 pm

UltramanGoji wrote:Speaking of suits, this would technically be the film with the largest amount of distinct designs used to represent a single Godzilla (NankaiGoji, SoshingekiGoji, MusukoGoji).


What about Godzilla vs. Gigan? Soshingeki and Musuko in new footage plus Daisenso and Mosu in stock footage.

User avatar
UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 13311
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:40 am
Location: Western New York
Contact:

Re: Talkback Thread #10: All Monsters Attack (1969)

Postby UltramanGoji » Thu May 16, 2019 3:56 pm

Terasawa wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:Speaking of suits, this would technically be the film with the largest amount of distinct designs used to represent a single Godzilla (NankaiGoji, SoshingekiGoji, MusukoGoji).


What about Godzilla vs. Gigan? Soshingeki and Musuko in new footage plus Daisenso and Mosu in stock footage.


Oh damn, you're right. Totally forgot about the Daisenso footage in Gigan.
Image

User avatar
Terasawa
G-Grasper
Posts: 1190
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:06 am

Re: Talkback Thread #10: All Monsters Attack (1969)

Postby Terasawa » Thu May 16, 2019 4:02 pm

UltramanGoji wrote:
Terasawa wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:Speaking of suits, this would technically be the film with the largest amount of distinct designs used to represent a single Godzilla (NankaiGoji, SoshingekiGoji, MusukoGoji).


What about Godzilla vs. Gigan? Soshingeki and Musuko in new footage plus Daisenso and Mosu in stock footage.


Oh damn, you're right. Totally forgot about the Daisenso footage in Gigan.


I just realized there are also four in Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla: MogeGoji, RadoGoji, and BatoGoji in new footage and BioGoji in stock footage.

User avatar
Zarm
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 4772
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:21 pm
Location: USA, East Coast
Contact:

Re: Talkback Thread #10: All Monsters Attack (1969)

Postby Zarm » Thu May 16, 2019 4:14 pm

Can anyone do 5? :)
Last edited by Zarm on Thu May 16, 2019 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:


Winner of the last-ever(?) TK Fantasy Match tournament.

#ProLife

The Zone Fighter campaign is funded and complete, with translations in progress! PM me if you want to be part of the Facebook updates group.

Maranatha!

User avatar
LSD Jellyfish
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 4890
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:57 pm
Location: Mt. Fuji

Re: Talkback Thread #10: All Monsters Attack (1969)

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Fri May 17, 2019 7:19 am

Zarm wrote:Can anyone do 5? :)

Godzilla final wars takes the cake if you count the opening credits ;)
Then, everything changed when the Giant Condor became the Giant Eagle.

User avatar
Gojirawars 03
Yin-Yang Master
Posts: 254
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:18 am

Re: Talkback Thread #10: All Monsters Attack (1969)

Postby Gojirawars 03 » Fri May 17, 2019 7:54 am

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
Zarm wrote:Can anyone do 5? :)

Godzilla final wars takes the cake if you count the opening credits ;)

The intro sequence to the American cut of Terror of Mechagodzilla technically uses footage of almost every Showa suit from 1964-1975.
"The time has come, finally, to put our technology to the final test."
-Dr. Asimov

Image
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8S9RqfL3pOgHr78nzbs-FQ


Return to “Showa Series (1930's-1970's)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests