Talkback Thread #10: All Monsters Attack (1969)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju

Re: Talkback Thread #10: All Monsters Attack (1969)

Postby eabaker » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:26 am

UltramanGoji wrote:
eabaker wrote:
Maritonic wrote:It's far too easy for me to go "sea monster, son of godzilla..." and so on. This is absolutely a problem in other films, no denying that, but it just seems so much less fluid here.

I guess it doesn't bother me since none of it is supposed to be "real" anyway. Kid's seen a bunch of Godzilla movies with different suits, why wouldn't his memories/fantasies of Godzilla reflect that variety?

Does the film actually imply that Ichiro knows of Godzilla through movies? I remember it being pretty vague about whether or not Godzilla exists in this world.

It is pretty vague, but this has always seemed like the reading most consistent with the reality the movie presents, and the way that the adults talk about monsters as something purely of interest to kids.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Maritonic
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Maritonic » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:31 am

Again, don't get me wrong. I can see how people find joy in this. I just don't think it's criticisms are unjustified. My ranking of the Godzilla films has changed over the years, but this has always been the bottom (now it's #4 from the bottom). But, for every single Godzilla film, i get how someone could like it and find something different in it. I just don't see this as a film that's so fantastic and great, but gets crapped on. Again, my Halloween III comparison.
Resized Image

What doesn't kill me makes me Vicious

goji89 wrote:So.......are we gonna Kinkshame the skreeonking birds or what?

MandaSaurus wrote:I think a lot of you here don't exactly know what LOGIC actually means.

eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby eabaker » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:44 am

Maritonic wrote:Again, don't get me wrong. I can see how people find joy in this. I just don't think it's criticisms are unjustified. My ranking of the Godzilla films has changed over the years, but this has always been the bottom (now it's #4 from the bottom). But, for every single Godzilla film, i get how someone could like it and find something different in it. I just don't see this as a film that's so fantastic and great, but gets crapped on. Again, my Halloween III comparison.

Is anybody really saying that it's "great," or just that the criticism is overblown?
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Maritonic
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Maritonic » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:49 am

eabaker wrote:
Maritonic wrote:Again, don't get me wrong. I can see how people find joy in this. I just don't think it's criticisms are unjustified. My ranking of the Godzilla films has changed over the years, but this has always been the bottom (now it's #4 from the bottom). But, for every single Godzilla film, i get how someone could like it and find something different in it. I just don't see this as a film that's so fantastic and great, but gets crapped on. Again, my Halloween III comparison.

Is anybody really saying that it's "great," or just that the criticism is overblown?

The claim is that it doesn't get "the praise it deserves". I mean.
Resized Image

What doesn't kill me makes me Vicious

goji89 wrote:So.......are we gonna Kinkshame the skreeonking birds or what?

MandaSaurus wrote:I think a lot of you here don't exactly know what LOGIC actually means.

eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby eabaker » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:00 pm

Maritonic wrote:
eabaker wrote:

The claim is that it doesn't get "the praise it deserves". I mean.

Since it mostly gets pretty much 0 praise, I don't think that's an unreasonable claim. If there's literally anything about it to praise, then it doesn't get the praise it deserves in most circles. :)

Terasawa
JXSDF Technician

Postby Terasawa » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:46 pm

Sometimes I wonder if fan reaction to this movie has improved since "All Monsters Attack" became the more common title. "Godzilla's Revenge" is a great title but it definitely doesn't fit this film.

MechaGoji Bro7503
E.S.P.Spy

Postby MechaGoji Bro7503 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:53 pm

This one mesmerized me as a kid, it's dreamy feel (also quite literally) was something else. Yeah it's weird, but it's got that pure weird Godzilla feel.

I also like how this was one of Ishiro Honda's favorites.
The world is very sexy, it's part of my collapse.

"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"I dont piss on broken ego's.....I poop them out MechaGoji Bro Seven Thousand Five Hundred and Three or Seventy Five Zero Three choose...." - goji89 (12/20/2018) aka god

Dr. Professor
EDF Soldier

Postby Dr. Professor » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:21 pm

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:I also like how this was one of Ishiro Honda's favorites.

Huh, I never knew that. Not surprising though considering it's more in line with slice of life dramas, which was the type of films he really wanted to be making.
goji89 wrote:We're getting Picasso's up in this biitch.

Grievous
G-Grasper

Postby Grievous » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:44 pm

Dr. Professor wrote:
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:I also like how this was one of Ishiro Honda's favorites.

Huh, I never knew that. Not surprising though considering it's more in line with slice of life dramas, which was the type of films he really wanted to be making.

Yeah.

Honda was type cast as a director sadly & never had a chance to
work on what he truly desired...which was slice of life dramas.
Now that we're dead my dear...We can be together! Now that we're dead my dear...We can live forever!

szmigiel
Interpol Agent

Postby szmigiel » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:00 am

It is a well made film, and I understand that Honda was attempting to do something very different for the new Champion Festival format. However I do think the film missed the mark. I think this is the best use of heavy stock footage, where entire scenes are pretty much reused. Previously there was stock footage, but it was mostly quick effect shots of military, destruction, or explosions. This was a time before there was anyway to rewatch the films without seeing them in the theater or on TV. So for a film aimed at a younger audience that was too young to see some of the fights used from Ebirah and Son of Godzilla it wasn't really out of place.

Overall the story isn't really bad, but it is bland. I always like to take into account the human side of any kaiju movie. If I removed the kaiju parts would I still enjoy the characters and their stories. For a lot of the 60's films it is a very positive yes. For example, I like the human story in GTTHM, if it was just a movie about a cop and his reporter sister protecting a foreign princess from an assassin it would be interesting. Both GVMZ and DAM are actually good Toho alien invasion movies to start with, with the kaiju added in. However the story here of a kid dealing with bullies and thieves isn't interesting enough by itself. Even when I was an elementary school kid in the 70's I didn't like the film when it was played on "Monster Week" or during the Saturday afternoon horor/sci-fi movie. At that time VCR's were still a decade away and TV and the late 70's films showing up in theaters was the only way I could see Godzilla films. I was arguably the target audience at the time, if not actually being Japanese.

So for me it always gets a low rating because it is bland, and due to being in the age of owning films, redundant. I only watch the film if I am doing a in order rewatch or for a review of some type. I have recently rewatched it as part of my lastest project so it is a bit fresh in my mind.

MechaGoji Bro7503
E.S.P.Spy

Postby MechaGoji Bro7503 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:12 am

On December 20th this film turns 50! Time is flying by, but these films still hold up pretty well.
The world is very sexy, it's part of my collapse.

"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"I dont piss on broken ego's.....I poop them out MechaGoji Bro Seven Thousand Five Hundred and Three or Seventy Five Zero Three choose...." - goji89 (12/20/2018) aka god

LSD Jellyfish
E.S.P.Spy

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:54 pm

Terasawa wrote:Sometimes I wonder if fan reaction to this movie has improved since "All Monsters Attack" became the more common title. "Godzilla's Revenge" is a great title but it definitely doesn't fit this film.

All Monster’s attack is still lame and sortve misleading. I do think though that the film would’ve been better off with the title,”Minya’s Revenge” or something.

As I’ve gotten older, and have been exposed to more Japanese movies, I can’t help but mentally accept what a lot of people on this thread are saying about it being a weird period piece of Japanese children.

It sortve(?), reminds me of this, a very famous movie made a few years prior:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Morning_(1959_film)

However, while I’ve grown to appreciate the human side a lot more, I’m not going to act like the film melds what it’s trying to do with Godzilla and Minya with the human side of things well. The film suffers from having a long stretch between when Minya and Godzilla beat Gabara to Ichigo besting the robbers and subsequently the bullies. Gabara should’ve gotten a lot more screen time, and posed a more significant threat, instead of all the stock footage. And, in the end, it’s Godzilla that decimated Gabara, not Minya. It sortve contradicts everything prior. And there’s Gabara the bully, but then the two robbers, and the bully, whom Gabara the monster is named after, doesn’t play a big part in the story. It would make way more sense to either have two Gabara’s for two robbers, or incorporate the bully’s role into the story more.

As much as I get budget was an issue, would it have killed them to pull any suits, or puppets, like the Kamacuras ones to just reshoot new scenes? Just because the budget was low, doesn’t excuse that the execution was lazy.
Then, everything changed when the Giant Condor became the Giant Eagle.

Return to “Showa Series (1930's-1970's)”