Talkback Thread #10: All Monsters Attack (1969)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
User avatar
Zarm
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 4772
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:21 pm
Location: USA, East Coast
Contact:

Re: Talkback Thread #10: All Monsters Attack (1969)

Postby Zarm » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:09 am

Maritonic wrote:
Zarm wrote:
Grievous wrote:Yes...I liked Godzilla 2014...Loved it even.

Jesus I'd been waiting 10 years for it & was just happy that Big G was back.

I stood up & cheered when he blasted the female M.U.T.O for the first time.

I'm a "Glass Half Full" kind of guy.

:thumbsup:


Likewise- and likewise for that scene. Just checking; in that case, I agree with your overall statement. For me, both 2014 and the anime trilogy represent positive developments in the franchise (and 2014 is either in my top 5, or #6 just below it). There hasn't been a movie since 2014 that I dislike. (Only a couple that I 'meh,' and neither of those is 2014!)


I thought you hated Shin?


No, I really don't. I think it is an entirely decent movie. Just not the amazing thing that everyone else thinks it is.

It's just hard to argue 'it's not that awesome' without hyperbolizing/emphasizing the negatives.

I actually do that a lot. My board game group thinks I hate 7 Wonders; I just don't want to play it every other week. But it's hard to argue a positive should be a neutral; arguing against a positive always sounds like you're saying it should be a negative of equal and opposite proportion. :) It's kind of like those toasters or washing machines where, if you twist the knob just a couple of ticks, it doesn't even turn on- you have to crank it way further than you actually want to get it to turn on, then dial it back to where you actually want it to be.

For me, Shin, Monster Planet (and Skull Island, if that counts), were all decent, just not stellar. Whereas 2014 and City on the Edge of Battle were stellar.

...Which is definitely a statement that belongs on the 'Unpopular Godzilla Opinions' thread, I know. ;)
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:


Winner of the last-ever(?) TK Fantasy Match tournament.

#ProLife

The Zone Fighter campaign is funded and complete, with translations in progress! PM me if you want to be part of the Facebook updates group.

Maranatha!

User avatar
Maritonic
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5589
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:26 am
Location: UberRichNewYork

Re: Talkback Thread #10: All Monsters Attack (1969)

Postby Maritonic » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:10 am

Zarm wrote:
Maritonic wrote:
Zarm wrote:
Likewise- and likewise for that scene. Just checking; in that case, I agree with your overall statement. For me, both 2014 and the anime trilogy represent positive developments in the franchise (and 2014 is either in my top 5, or #6 just below it). There hasn't been a movie since 2014 that I dislike. (Only a couple that I 'meh,' and neither of those is 2014!)


I thought you hated Shin?


No, I really don't. I think it is an entirely decent movie. Just not the amazing thing that everyone else thinks it is.

It's just hard to argue 'it's not that awesome' without hyperbolizing/emphasizing the negatives.

I actually do that a lot. My board game group thinks I hate 7 Wonders; I just don't want to play it every other week. But it's hard to argue a positive should be a neutral; arguing against a positive always sounds like you're saying it should be a negative of equal and opposite proportion. :) It's kind of like those toasters or washing machines where, if you twist the knob just a couple of ticks, it doesn't even turn on- you have to crank it way further than you actually want to get it to turn on, then dial it back to where you actually want it to be.

For me, Shin, Monster Planet (and Skull Island, if that counts), were all decent, just not stellar. Whereas 2014 and City on the Edge of Battle were stellar.

...Which is definitely a statement that belongs on the 'Unpopular Godzilla Opinions' thread, I know. ;)


I see. We disagree on a lot of that, but I see what you're saying.
Resized Image

All Hope Is Gone.

goji89 wrote:So.......are we gonna Kinkshame the skreeonking birds or what?

User avatar
MechaGoji Bro7503
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 5328
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:02 pm
Location: Black Hole Planet 3
Contact:

Re: Talkback Thread #10: All Monsters Attack (1969)

Postby MechaGoji Bro7503 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:06 pm

PitchBlackProgress wrote:I think it’s fun and well acted :shrug:
The only people that really hate this one are 15 year olds..

I always thought this one felt kinda........ well it really felt like Ishiro Honda made it ya know? Obviously he did direct it but it's his style that really elevates this film for me. It's definitely not one of my favorites but if you put Revenge on a table with vs Mothra '92 and vs Spacegodzilla, I'd definitely pick Revenge to watch.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

Dv-218 wrote:This is so sad, Alexa play "Bio-Wars".

Dr. Professor wrote:If I had a dollar for every "SAVE MOTHRA" joke, I'd be able to buy Legendary Pictures, renew the license for Godzilla, acquire the rights to the rest of the Toho monsters, and make a Godzilla film that totally bombs without even putting a dent in my bank account.

User avatar
Grievous
Terminated
Terminated
Posts: 1564
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:27 pm

Re: Talkback Thread #10: All Monsters Attack (1969)

Postby Grievous » Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:41 pm

Zarm wrote:My board game group

I wish I had a board game group...
Image
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

Online
User avatar
MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 876
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:57 pm
Location: Celery
Contact:

Re: Talkback Thread #10: All Monsters Attack (1969)

Postby MikeSTZillak » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:35 pm

Can believe this will be 50 years old soon.
Image


Resized Image


#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

User avatar
PitchBlackProgress
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2189
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:15 pm

Re: Talkback Thread #10: All Monsters Attack (1969)

Postby PitchBlackProgress » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:50 am

I’m still waiting for this one to receive the praise it deserves.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

Online
User avatar
eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 10694
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:16 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Talkback Thread #10: All Monsters Attack (1969)

Postby eabaker » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:48 am

PitchBlackProgress wrote:I’m still waiting for this one to receive the praise it deserves.


Well, a few of us on this board to come to its defense from time to time.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

User avatar
Maritonic
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5589
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:26 am
Location: UberRichNewYork

Re: Talkback Thread #10: All Monsters Attack (1969)

Postby Maritonic » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:50 am

PitchBlackProgress wrote:I’m still waiting for this one to receive the praise it deserves.


Okay, no snark here, real talk. I want you to explain to me, in your own words, what makes this movie worthy of praise OTHER THAN "it gets ripped on all the time and it's not as bad as everyone says". To be crystal clear: not being sarcastic.

Because I've rewatched this sober, drunk, clear minded, angry, happy, trying to love it, trying to hate it, trying to see all the good in it, and no matter what this still comes in bottom 5 for me.

So, on it's own, not compared to any other film in the franchise, what makes this movie worthy of praise?
Resized Image

All Hope Is Gone.

goji89 wrote:So.......are we gonna Kinkshame the skreeonking birds or what?

User avatar
Grievous
Terminated
Terminated
Posts: 1564
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:27 pm

Re: Talkback Thread #10: All Monsters Attack (1969)

Postby Grievous » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:53 am

PitchBlackProgress wrote:I’m still waiting for this one to receive the praise it deserves.

Praise? Well no...

But I'd like to think I understand what this film actually is...
and its not really a Godzilla film.

Do I like it for what it is? Not really...
but it doesn't deserve the hate it gets.
Image
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

User avatar
HillyHulk
Yin-Yang Master
Posts: 321
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:59 pm

Re: Talkback Thread #10: All Monsters Attack (1969)

Postby HillyHulk » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:27 am

This movie is weird (Minilla talking was just off-putting) and kind of lazy with the stock footage, but it has a strange charm. I like the movie well enough. Also, I kind of like the moral about standing up for yourself.
Last edited by HillyHulk on Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
8-) ... because I can.

User avatar
Zarm
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 4772
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:21 pm
Location: USA, East Coast
Contact:

Re: Talkback Thread #10: All Monsters Attack (1969)

Postby Zarm » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:30 am

And becoming a bully and vandal by doing so. A very immoral moral. ;)
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:


Winner of the last-ever(?) TK Fantasy Match tournament.

#ProLife

The Zone Fighter campaign is funded and complete, with translations in progress! PM me if you want to be part of the Facebook updates group.

Maranatha!

Online
User avatar
eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 10694
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:16 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Talkback Thread #10: All Monsters Attack (1969)

Postby eabaker » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:52 am

Maritonic wrote:So, on it's own, not compared to any other film in the franchise, what makes this movie worthy of praise?


Well, I'm not sure I can talk about it without making some references/comparisons to other movies in the franchise, but I'll do my best to talk about what makes it work.

First off, Ichiro is a very sympathetic protagonist for many viewers. Smaller than many of his peers, not really fitting in, prone to escape the harsh realities of his life through escape into fantasy... as a young Godzilla fan (although not one whose reality was quite as harsh as Ichiro's, as I was middle class, lived in a more suburban region, and went to a smaller school with no real bulying problems), I could definitely relate to certain aspects of his character. And, as an adult, I certainly haven't lost sight of what it's like to feel beat down by the world, and need some encouragement to get back up.

"Kid escapes ugly reality by escaping into parallel fantasy and comes back with important life lessons" is, of course, hardly an original story. But this one does a pretty good job of interweaving the two, both in terms of pacing (never too long or too brief in either "world") and in terms of narrative/thematic linkage.

The use of locations, and the photography, for the urban scenes is really effective, establishing some regions as a chaotic, claustrophobic, traffic-and-smog-soaked nightmare, and others as barren wasteland. And this makes for a very effective contrast with the fantasy scenes set in the kind of lust island settings that dominated Toho's kaiju output of the era.

HillyHulk wrote:This movie is weird (Minilla talking was just off-putting) and kind of lazy with the stock footage


There's nothing lazy about this movie's use of stock footage, though. They didn't just slap it in and call it a day; Sekizawa built his script around it, and Honda made sure to integrate it as smoothly as possible.

The use of stock footage was about budget, not effort. It's not like the effects crew just decided, "Eh, we don't feel like shooting a bunch of new stuff."
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

User avatar
Maritonic
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5589
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:26 am
Location: UberRichNewYork

Re: Talkback Thread #10: All Monsters Attack (1969)

Postby Maritonic » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:05 am

eabaker wrote:
Maritonic wrote:So, on it's own, not compared to any other film in the franchise, what makes this movie worthy of praise?


Well, I'm not sure I can talk about it without making some references/comparisons to other movies in the franchise, but I'll do my best to talk about what makes it work.

First off, Ichiro is a very sympathetic protagonist for many viewers. Smaller than many of his peers, not really fitting in, prone to escape the harsh realities of his life through escape into fantasy... as a young Godzilla fan (although not one whose reality was quite as harsh as Ichiro's, as I was middle class, lived in a more suburban region, and went to a smaller school with no real bulying problems), I could definitely relate to certain aspects of his character. And, as an adult, I certainly haven't lost sight of what it's like to feel beat down by the world, and need some encouragement to get back up.

"Kid escapes ugly reality by escaping into parallel fantasy and comes back with important life lessons" is, of course, hardly an original story. But this one does a pretty good job of interweaving the two, both in terms of pacing (never too long or too brief in either "world") and in terms of narrative/thematic linkage.

The use of locations, and the photography, for the urban scenes is really effective, establishing some regions as a chaotic, claustrophobic, traffic-and-smog-soaked nightmare, and others as barren wasteland. And this makes for a very effective contrast with the fantasy scenes set in the kind of lust island settings that dominated Toho's kaiju output of the era.


I see what you're saying, I guess for me it's concept vs. execution. What you're talking about is all beautiful sounding; but it's not executed properly, and other things in the film bog it down. I'd say the locations, photography, and urban setting are absolutely a plus for this film, I'll definitely agree with you on that. But I can't get behind Ichiro as a character, I guess, and Minillia talking just takes me completely out of the film. It's a concept I have a hard time with with Godzilla vs. Gigan, but luckily it's such a quick scene that it's easier to move past. Minilla's talking is a major part of the film.

As to the stock footage, I know it's a common complaint. While I understand why it was used, it's too jarring for me. By that I mean we see them use the Mazer Tank sequence from Gargantuas in Godzilla vs. Gigan. While not seamless, it's relatively believable that it's a new scene and anyone who hadn't seen Gargantuas probably wouldn't instantly catch the stock usage. With this, the radical changes in Godzilla's suit create a really odd experience that, again, take me out of it. It's far too easy for me to go "sea monster, son of godzilla..." and so on. This is absolutely a problem in other films, no denying that, but it just seems so much less fluid here.

On a personal, very biased note? The childish tone does nothing for me. It's why I never really clicked with Ultraman. This is very obviously a children's film, which is fine, but it's almost too childish with some of the camera tricks/music/tone in general. This is not a legitimate complaint against the film, this is my own personal reason for disliking it.
Resized Image

All Hope Is Gone.

goji89 wrote:So.......are we gonna Kinkshame the skreeonking birds or what?

Online
User avatar
eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 10694
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:16 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Talkback Thread #10: All Monsters Attack (1969)

Postby eabaker » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:14 am

Maritonic wrote:It's far too easy for me to go "sea monster, son of godzilla..." and so on. This is absolutely a problem in other films, no denying that, but it just seems so much less fluid here.


I guess it doesn't bother me since none of it is supposed to be "real" anyway. Kid's seen a bunch of Godzilla movies with different suits, why wouldn't his memories/fantasies of Godzilla reflect that variety?
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

User avatar
Maritonic
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5589
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:26 am
Location: UberRichNewYork

Re: Talkback Thread #10: All Monsters Attack (1969)

Postby Maritonic » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:16 am

eabaker wrote:
Maritonic wrote:It's far too easy for me to go "sea monster, son of godzilla..." and so on. This is absolutely a problem in other films, no denying that, but it just seems so much less fluid here.


I guess it doesn't bother me since none of it is supposed to be "real" anyway. Kid's seen a bunch of Godzilla movies with different suits, why wouldn't his memories/fantasies of Godzilla reflect that variety?


No, I mean I get that. But with concept v execution; would you think the concept would be far more enjoyable if it was new footage?

I understand why people like this, but I think it does deserve the criticism it gets. I don't think it's the Halloween III of this franchise that's been unjustly crapped upon.
Resized Image

All Hope Is Gone.

goji89 wrote:So.......are we gonna Kinkshame the skreeonking birds or what?

Online
User avatar
UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 13311
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:40 am
Location: Western New York
Contact:

Re: Talkback Thread #10: All Monsters Attack (1969)

Postby UltramanGoji » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:18 am

eabaker wrote:
Maritonic wrote:It's far too easy for me to go "sea monster, son of godzilla..." and so on. This is absolutely a problem in other films, no denying that, but it just seems so much less fluid here.


I guess it doesn't bother me since none of it is supposed to be "real" anyway. Kid's seen a bunch of Godzilla movies with different suits, why wouldn't his memories/fantasies of Godzilla reflect that variety?


Does the film actually imply that Ichiro knows of Godzilla through movies? I remember it being pretty vague about whether or not Godzilla exists in this world.
Image

User avatar
Maritonic
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5589
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:26 am
Location: UberRichNewYork

Re: Talkback Thread #10: All Monsters Attack (1969)

Postby Maritonic » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:19 am

UltramanGoji wrote:
eabaker wrote:
Maritonic wrote:It's far too easy for me to go "sea monster, son of godzilla..." and so on. This is absolutely a problem in other films, no denying that, but it just seems so much less fluid here.


I guess it doesn't bother me since none of it is supposed to be "real" anyway. Kid's seen a bunch of Godzilla movies with different suits, why wouldn't his memories/fantasies of Godzilla reflect that variety?


Does the film actually imply that Ichiro knows of Godzilla through movies? I remember it being pretty vague about whether or not Godzilla exists in this world.


This is my other issue. This is more of a headcannon/fan theory. Maybe even an analysis, but it's never clear about this.
Resized Image

All Hope Is Gone.

goji89 wrote:So.......are we gonna Kinkshame the skreeonking birds or what?

User avatar
Mr. Yellow
Interpol Agent
Posts: 409
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:12 am
Contact:

Re: Talkback Thread #10: All Monsters Attack (1969)

Postby Mr. Yellow » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:20 am

I agree above, All Monsters Attack was one of the first I saw when young and I instantly became attached to it. I dreamt of Godzilla and similar things. Minya talking was only in my mind and I think it was to give him some more character. I understood the real life comparison and the actors were silly but good. It’s just a fun romp and seeing Gabara get pummeled will never get old.
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda

User avatar
Zarm
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 4772
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:21 pm
Location: USA, East Coast
Contact:

Re: Talkback Thread #10: All Monsters Attack (1969)

Postby Zarm » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:24 am

UltramanGoji wrote:
eabaker wrote:
Maritonic wrote:It's far too easy for me to go "sea monster, son of godzilla..." and so on. This is absolutely a problem in other films, no denying that, but it just seems so much less fluid here.


I guess it doesn't bother me since none of it is supposed to be "real" anyway. Kid's seen a bunch of Godzilla movies with different suits, why wouldn't his memories/fantasies of Godzilla reflect that variety?


Does the film actually imply that Ichiro knows of Godzilla through movies? I remember it being pretty vague about whether or not Godzilla exists in this world.


It is a great debate.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:


Winner of the last-ever(?) TK Fantasy Match tournament.

#ProLife

The Zone Fighter campaign is funded and complete, with translations in progress! PM me if you want to be part of the Facebook updates group.

Maranatha!

User avatar
Maritonic
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5589
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:26 am
Location: UberRichNewYork

Re: Talkback Thread #10: All Monsters Attack (1969)

Postby Maritonic » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:26 am

I mean, I saw it when I was a kid too and I felt the same way I do now.
Resized Image

All Hope Is Gone.

goji89 wrote:So.......are we gonna Kinkshame the skreeonking birds or what?


Return to “Showa Series (1930's-1970's)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests