Talkback Thread #10: All Monsters Attack (1969)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
User avatar
Terasawa
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2031
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:06 am

Re: Talkback Thread #10: All Monsters Attack (1969)

Postby Terasawa » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:16 pm

Maritonic wrote:Question, can anyone tell me what song is played on the Japanese Version menu from the Classic Media DVD of All Monsters Attack? I can't find it on YouTube.


It's the main title music from the American version. It's on YouTube under the title "Crime Fiction" (Ervin Jereb), but the film version is a different edit.
-- 寺沢 --
YouTube
Save All Dubs

Image

User avatar
Maritonic
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 6054
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:26 am
Location: UberRichNewYork

Re: Talkback Thread #10: All Monsters Attack (1969)

Postby Maritonic » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:17 pm

Terasawa wrote:
Maritonic wrote:Question, can anyone tell me what song is played on the Japanese Version menu from the Classic Media DVD of All Monsters Attack? I can't find it on YouTube.


It's the main title music from the American version. It's on YouTube under the title "Crime Fiction" (Ervin Jereb), but the film version is a different edit.


Hey alright! Thank you very much!
Resized Image

Everything Will Proceed Cyclically

goji89 wrote:So.......are we gonna Kinkshame the skreeonking birds or what?

User avatar
Kaijunator
Kwaidan
Posts: 6008
Joined: Sun May 18, 2014 5:19 pm
Location: Everywhere doing everything
Contact:

Re: Talkback Thread #10: All Monsters Attack (1969)

Postby Kaijunator » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:40 am

Why is the US title Godzilla's Revenge?
If you have digital copy codes for movies you want to give away, I'll gladly take them! :)

Dillyziller wrote:Evangelion 4.0: This is (not) a joke

It opens with Shinji, Asuka, and Rei walking along the lifeless, red earth. Suddenly the ground begins to shake.
Godzilla bursts from the ground, killing the 3 pilots. Godzilla will then battle his newest opponent...
parental issues.

TitanoGoji16 wrote:"Do you think C-Rex and FeMUTO could make sweet love down by the fire and give birth to Gabara?"
Best song ever.
YouTube!
Resized Image

User avatar
Terasawa
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2031
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:06 am

Re: Talkback Thread #10: All Monsters Attack (1969)

Postby Terasawa » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:49 pm

Kaijunator wrote:Why is the US title Godzilla's Revenge?


Because evidently that's what the distributor thought was the best title to sell the film as.
-- 寺沢 --
YouTube
Save All Dubs

Image

User avatar
ThunderScore
Yin-Yang Master
Posts: 301
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:13 am

Re: Talkback Thread #10: All Monsters Attack (1969)

Postby ThunderScore » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:01 pm

It should've been titled GODZILLA ON MONSTER ISLAND.

User avatar
Maritonic
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 6054
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:26 am
Location: UberRichNewYork

Re: Talkback Thread #10: All Monsters Attack (1969)

Postby Maritonic » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:04 pm

ThunderScore wrote:It should've been titled GODZILLA ON MONSTER ISLAND.



Godzilla vs. Gigan was released in the US as Godzilla on Monster Island, ironically enough.
Resized Image

Everything Will Proceed Cyclically

goji89 wrote:So.......are we gonna Kinkshame the skreeonking birds or what?

User avatar
ThunderScore
Yin-Yang Master
Posts: 301
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:13 am

Re: Talkback Thread #10: All Monsters Attack (1969)

Postby ThunderScore » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:06 pm

I think GODZILLA RAIDS AGAIN should be called GODZILLA'S REVENGE.

User avatar
LockBite
Interpol Agent
Posts: 593
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:21 am

Re: Talkback Thread #10: All Monsters Attack (1969)

Postby LockBite » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:09 am

Without question, the worst Godzilla film ever made. From the excessively boring and depressing setting to its terrible moral about becoming the alpha ape, it's an absolute disaster.

User avatar
Zarm
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 4909
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:21 pm
Location: USA, East Coast
Contact:

Re: Talkback Thread #10: All Monsters Attack (1969)

Postby Zarm » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:00 am

The movie is actually Godzilla's Revenge against gumanity. For all the times they've managed to drive him off, he can still hurt them in a way they never expected. A really terrible movie smack dab in the middle of his canon- they never saw it coming. ;)
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:


Winner of the last-ever(?) TK Fantasy Match tournament.

#ProLife

The Zone Fighter campaign is funded and complete, with translations in progress! PM me if you want to be part of the Facebook updates group.

Maranatha!

User avatar
JAGzilla
Kwaidan
Posts: 6829
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:45 pm
Location: Georgia

Re: Talkback Thread #10: All Monsters Attack (1969)

Postby JAGzilla » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:38 am

LockBite wrote:Without question, the worst Godzilla film ever made. From the excessively boring and depressing setting to its terrible moral about becoming the alpha ape, it's an absolute disaster.


While I won't disagree that the moral was clumsily handled, I really like the setting. It shows a side of Japan we don't often see in the other movies, and is part of what makes the movie unique. It could be called depressing, yeah, but that was the point: Ichiro fantasized about Monster Island so much because he wanted an escape from his underwhelming reality.

User avatar
LockBite
Interpol Agent
Posts: 593
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:21 am

Re: Talkback Thread #10: All Monsters Attack (1969)

Postby LockBite » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:04 am

JAGzilla wrote:
LockBite wrote:Without question, the worst Godzilla film ever made. From the excessively boring and depressing setting to its terrible moral about becoming the alpha ape, it's an absolute disaster.


While I won't disagree that the moral was clumsily handled, I really like the setting. It shows a side of Japan we don't often see in the other movies, and is part of what makes the movie unique. It could be called depressing, yeah, but that was the point: Ichiro fantasized about Monster Island so much because he wanted an escape from his underwhelming reality.

The setting was just endlessly bleak, though, and it really doesn't help that nobody acknowledges it. Also keep in mind that what Ichiro escapes to is the dullest version of Monster Island ever, stunningly lifeless in comparison to the islands in previous movies. It seems like everything is covered in a haze of dust.

User avatar
JAGzilla
Kwaidan
Posts: 6829
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:45 pm
Location: Georgia

Re: Talkback Thread #10: All Monsters Attack (1969)

Postby JAGzilla » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:28 am

LockBite wrote:
JAGzilla wrote:The setting was just endlessly bleak, though, and it really doesn't help that nobody acknowledges it. Also keep in mind that what Ichiro escapes to is the dullest version of Monster Island ever, stunningly lifeless in comparison to the islands in previous movies. It seems like everything is covered in a haze of dust.


Again, bleak was what the filmmakers were going for, and we see that Ichiro does acknowledge it, even if he doesn't outright say so: he hates the place so much that he dreams about leaving it. And I never particularly noticed that this take on Monster Island was any different from the others; I'll have to pay attention to that on my next viewing. Low budget would be a factor there, though.

User avatar
Jeff-Goldblum1
Interpol Agent
Posts: 602
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:44 am

Godzilla's Revenge isn't that bad

Postby Jeff-Goldblum1 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:16 pm

The story and structure are decent enough.

The movie is firmly within it's intended young target audience. Which isn't inherently a bad thing.

Seems people hate it just because some kid imagines the monster scenes.

Plus it has more personality than some of the duller entries like Godzilla Raids Again.

User avatar
JAGzilla
Kwaidan
Posts: 6829
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:45 pm
Location: Georgia

Re: Godzilla's Revenge isn't that bad

Postby JAGzilla » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:35 pm

I would say that there are a lot more reasons people hate it than that one in particular. Barney-voiced Minya, obnoxious kid in short shorts, mountains of stock footage, and clunky execution of the moral, for example.

I'm on your side, though; Revenge is actually one of my favorites. This is a very unique, unconventional Godzilla movie that nevertheless manages to feel right at home with the other experimental entries the series was putting out at the time. And it's a lot of fun, so long as you're able to laugh at/with its weirdness instead of cringing, as most of the fandom traditionally does.

The stock footage does grate on me a little, though. I understand that it's a clip show, the stock footage is half the point of the film, but still. I'd rather watch those scenes in the movies they're from. This opinion extends to kaiju-movie stock footage in general, for the record.

Online
User avatar
LSD Jellyfish
Kwaidan
Posts: 6296
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:57 pm
Location: 富士山

Re: Talkback Thread #10: All Monsters Attack (1969)

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:08 pm

I think it’s not as bad as people make it out to be (I’ll argue GRA is waaaay worse), but if anyone on this site had a choice, I’m sure they’d choose even the lesser entries like Godzilla vs the Sea Monster/Ebirah or megalon over this. Most of it comes down to the poop dub and Minya.

The story isn’t that bad, like it’s actually pretty heartwarming, the plot about the robbers, how the kid is alone and even the cliche bullies plot,..but it contrasts way too much with the monster plot, which is mostly stock footage. And yeah, as someone that’s seen all the movies that it takes stock footage from it’s hard to watch without being completely taken out of the film. And ultimately, the plot is just a clipshow. Look how cool Godzilla is as he beats up Ebirah and Kamacuras. On top of that, the whole film is is a total,”it’s all a Dream”. You could have new fights between monsters, and you’d actually have a half decent sequel to Son of Godzilla.

Beyond all the stock footage, Gabara is easily the worst designed monster in the series. Sure, something like megalon is just a group of parts with a bug, but the costume looks really bulky and good. Gabara is a heavily modified Godzilla suit that just looks ugly, gross and lazy. To top that off the action isn’t so great, minus the brief fight of Godzilla vs Gabara. Minya isn’t an interesting monster, because they removed the dynamic of father and son from son of Godzilla, and when he’s size changing and making dumb noise he just isn’t fun to look at. It would’ve been totally acceptable to give him a beam, and make the fight better, even without removing the plot of standing up to bullies.

I also understand the movie was made on a budget, and for some children’s festival or something, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t bad.

TLDR: GRA isn’t bad for starring a child, it’s bad for using way too much stock footage, not having an impressive villain, and not connecting or tying together the two plots so well.
_JNavs_ wrote:The MV is like cheap imitation crabmeat, it tastes good, but it isn't real, while Shin is kino peak Japanese performance.

Rodan95 wrote:The Shobijin are sat on by a fatass explorer and killed. Mothra is pissed and destroys Japan.

User avatar
Gojira-Fan
G-Grasper
Posts: 1439
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:45 pm

Re: Talkback Thread #10: All Monsters Attack (1969)

Postby Gojira-Fan » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:20 pm

LSD Jellyfish wrote:I think it’s not as bad as people make it out to be (I’ll argue GRA is waaaay worse), but if anyone on this site had a choice, I’m sure they’d choose even the lesser entries like Godzilla vs the Sea Monster/Ebirah or megalon over this. Most of it comes down to the poop dub and Minya.

The story isn’t that bad, like it’s actually pretty heartwarming, the plot about the robbers, how the kid is alone and even the cliche bullies plot,..but it contrasts way too much with the monster plot, which is mostly stock footage. And yeah, as someone that’s seen all the movies that it takes stock footage from it’s hard to watch without being completely taken out of the film. And ultimately, the plot is just a clipshow. Look how cool Godzilla is as he beats up Ebirah and Kamacuras. On top of that, the whole film is is a total,”it’s all a Dream”. You could have new fights between monsters, and you’d actually have a half decent sequel to Son of Godzilla.

Beyond all the stock footage, Gabara is easily the worst designed monster in the series. Sure, something like megalon is just a group of parts with a bug, but the costume looks really bulky and good. Gabara is a heavily modified Godzilla suit that just looks ugly, gross and lazy. To top that off the action isn’t so great, minus the brief fight of Godzilla vs Gabara. Minya isn’t an interesting monster, because they removed the dynamic of father and son from son of Godzilla, and when he’s size changing and making dumb noise he just isn’t fun to look at. It would’ve been totally acceptable to give him a beam, and make the fight better, even without removing the plot of standing up to bullies.

I also understand the movie was made on a budget, and for some children’s festival or something, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t bad.

TLDR: GRA isn’t bad for starring a child, it’s bad for using way too much stock footage, not having an impressive villain, and not connecting or tying together the two plots so well.


The stock footage is the biggest perceived flaw with this one. You either accept it or you don't (I'm pretty used to stock footage in Godzilla movies so it doesn't bother me). I understand your point of you thinking the film is like a clip show. However, I think the biggest thing this film has is something you mentioned: it's a heartwarming story.

I like the cutesy, child-like vibe the film has. It is ultimately a children's film after all. I think I might be a bit biased because I watched this film as a kid and I would find it comforting.

It might not be a big, impressive epic with spectacular set-pieces and high stakes drama like Mothra vs. Godzilla or Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster, but it has it's own unique charm because it is so different than the rest of films in the series. It deals with human-centric themes on an individual level not usually seen in these films. This film arguably exemplifies Ishiro Honda's humanism more than any other of the many kaiju films he directed. Which is a big deal, considering he often longed to direct human drama films.

User avatar
UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 14017
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:40 am
Location: Western New York
Contact:

Re: Talkback Thread #10: All Monsters Attack (1969)

Postby UltramanGoji » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:22 pm

In terms of stock footage, I think this one fares far better than Godzilla vs. Gigan, which has easily the worst stock footage in the Showa series. The tinted footage from Ghidorah the Three-Headed Monster made to look like nightfall just doesn't work at all. It's super obvious.

With AMA, at least the footage doesn't look out of place (and the brightness increase for Godzilla and Ebirah's fight is a far better accomplishment).
Image

Online
User avatar
eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 11124
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:16 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Talkback Thread #10: All Monsters Attack (1969)

Postby eabaker » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:35 pm

I think some of the stock scenes, particularly the ones from Sea Monster, play better here than in their original context.

And I would definitely take this flick over Megalon any day. Revenge works around its limitations in inventive ways; Megalon just succumbs to its limitations almost completely.
Last edited by eabaker on Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

User avatar
UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 14017
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:40 am
Location: Western New York
Contact:

Re: Talkback Thread #10: All Monsters Attack (1969)

Postby UltramanGoji » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:53 pm

I think Megalon gives its monsters much more of a personality (or at least, much more of an enjoyable one). Gigan and Megalon have so many quirks and pantomimes that really bring them to life. Jet Jaguar as well, though not as lifelike (which makes sense considering he's a robot).

I will agree that Revenge has a much more tolerable human story and acting, though.
Image

User avatar
Jeff-Goldblum1
Interpol Agent
Posts: 602
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:44 am

Re: Talkback Thread #10: All Monsters Attack (1969)

Postby Jeff-Goldblum1 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:31 am

The anthromorphisms of the monsters in Godzilla Vs Megalon are fun. I think my favorite though is Godzilla's Bruce Lee style taunts in Godzilla Vs Hedorah.


Return to “Showa Series (1930's-1970's)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests