Talkback Thread #10: All Monsters Attack (1969)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
MinorBone Good
G-Force Personnel

Re: Talkback Thread #10: All Monsters Attack (1969)

Post by MinorBone Good »

I feel like the arc that Ichiro went through made sense with his character. While I personally don't like the ending, it made sense for him to act that way. While on my rewatch of the movie, I found myself relating to him. I recalled back to my childhood and I felt it was very similar, being alone with only one friend sort of thing. He doesn't even become a bully at the end. He just fights back, and causes small mischief at the end. It's never implied that Ichiro will now start bulling other kids. Kids often play tricks on neighbors and strangers because it gives them some entertainment. They're not malicious.
Current Quatheral Population: 600!
Current Quatheral's Perfected: 283!
The Quatheral Wiki!: https://quatheral.fandom.com/wiki/Quatheral_Wiki
The Quatheral Voices!:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSRtkOo-Lhs

PM me if you wanna join my Discord to see the updates about Quatheral!

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Excluding the paint can scene, which I can understand being a problem even if I'm in the camp that doesn't see real malice in it, what does Ichiro do that makes him such a brat? I'd like to see specific examples.

Everyone is free to their own opinion, for the record, I'm not trying to put down or convert anyone. I'd just like to see this claim substantiated, is all.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

JAGzilla wrote:Excluding the paint can scene, which I can understand being a problem even if I'm in the camp that doesn't see real malice in it, what does Ichiro do that makes him such a brat? I'd like to see specific examples.

Everyone is free to their own opinion, for the record, I'm not trying to put down or convert anyone. I'd just like to see this claim substantiated, is all.
More so his overall attitude/demeanor than anything else. And the voice (Not even just the English Dub here). I would list specific examples beyond the paint can but it has been a while since I watched the film so I'd need to freshen up. If I can stomach sitting through it again naturally or my VHS works properly lol

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

godjacob wrote:
JAGzilla wrote:Excluding the paint can scene, which I can understand being a problem even if I'm in the camp that doesn't see real malice in it, what does Ichiro do that makes him such a brat? I'd like to see specific examples.

More so his overall attitude/demeanor than anything else. And the voice (Not even just the English Dub here). I would list specific examples beyond the paint can but it has been a while since I watched the film so I'd need to freshen up. If I can stomach sitting through it again naturally or my VHS works properly lol
It's a strange film, that's for sure. Gabara makes everything worth it tho, trust me. :P

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

tyrantgoji wrote:
godjacob wrote:

It's a strange film, that's for sure. Gabara makes everything worth it tho, trust me. :P
The true king of the monsters XD

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote:
godjacob wrote:Point break, the worst Godzilla movie in the franchise. The kid character was annoying enough to challenge the worst kids in the Showa Gamera films and the stock footage fatigue became draining. It's basically a downgraded version of Son of Godzilla only with less charm.

The status of it being a true "kids movie" doesn't help as it seems to betray its own moral. As for an anti-bullying movie it ends with our kid joining with the bullies to prank some random guy who did nothing wrong to get their approval. So it doesn't even work in that regard.

The only "highlight" is Gabara; who is so ridiculous and such a petty bully Kaiju it is somewhat amusing. But is far from enough to save anything.
Now here's something we totally agree on. I'm not gonna lie, I think 90% of people defend this movie purely because it's made by Honda and he said that he liked the film. I hate Ichiro and I think claims that he's a well-rounded character are a pretty big reach. He's a bratty ass kid who gets picked on at the beginning, and a bratty ass kid who picks on others at the end. And yeah, sure, his absent parents are probably to blame, but he's still an annoying little prick.

And I don't think the limited budget and production schedule are an excuse for the excess of stock footage, as some try to claim. The film could've focused solely on Godzilla, Minilla and Gabara and had the other kaiju only make stock footage cameos (as Anguirus, Manda and Gorosaurus do) to make Monster Island seem more populated, and I'd have a lot more respect for it.
I want to backtrack a bit to address this: it's non-objective to suggest "90% of people defend this movie purely because it's made by Honda." Perhaps those people see something in the movie you can't or don't want to see, or maybe they have a different criteria for what makes a good (Godzilla) movie. Because you don't understand or can't accept why someone likes a movie doesn't mean that his or her appreciation of it is unjustified.

I've said several times before that I think the filmmakers succeeded in what they tried to do despite the limitations forced on them. To say that the movie "could've focused solely on Godzilla, Minilla and Gabara..." blatantly ignores the context of what happened behind the scenes. No, they could not have filmed exclusively new footage of the three title characters: the budget did not allow it, it did not fit with Tanaka's plan (to save money by reusing content from previous films), and there was no SFX director on the production. I'd suggest that, instead of focusing on what the movie isn't, fans should try to critique the movie on what it is and what its filmmakers set out to do. (Extreme analogy: Would Godzilla have been a better movie if the special effects had been produced with stop motion as originally intended? There could be an argument there, but it's obviously beyond the realm of possibility.)

And of course you are allowed to dislike whatever characters you want, Ichiro is no exception. However, the vitriol for this character is absurd. "An annoying little prick" is an extreme and distasteful way to describe a child character who is by no means intended as anything of the sort.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

Terasawa wrote:
HedorahIsBestGirl wrote:I'm not gonna lie, I think 90% of people defend this movie purely because it's made by Honda and he said that he liked the film. I hate Ichiro and I think claims that he's a well-rounded character are a pretty big reach. He's a bratty ass kid who gets picked on at the beginning, and a bratty ass kid who picks on others at the end. And yeah, sure, his absent parents are probably to blame, but he's still an annoying little prick.

And I don't think the limited budget and production schedule are an excuse for the excess of stock footage, as some try to claim. The film could've focused solely on Godzilla, Minilla and Gabara and had the other kaiju only make stock footage cameos (as Anguirus, Manda and Gorosaurus do) to make Monster Island seem more populated, and I'd have a lot more respect for it.
I want to backtrack a bit to address this: it's non-objective to suggest "90% of people defend this movie purely because it's made by Honda." Perhaps those people see something in the movie you can't or don't want to see, or maybe they have a different criteria for what makes a good (Godzilla) movie. Because you don't understand or can't accept why someone likes a movie doesn't mean that his or her appreciation of it is unjustified.

I've said several times before that I think the filmmakers succeeded in what they tried to do despite the limitations forced on them. To say that the movie "could've focused solely on Godzilla, Minilla and Gabara..." blatantly ignores the context of what happened behind the scenes. No, they could not have filmed exclusively new footage of the three title characters: the budget did not allow it, it did not fit with Tanaka's plan (to save money by reusing content from previous films), and there was no SFX director on the production. I'd suggest that, instead of focusing on what the movie isn't, fans should try to critique the movie on what it is and what its filmmakers set out to do. (Extreme analogy: Would Godzilla have been a better movie if the special effects had been produced with stop motion as originally intended? There could be an argument there, but it's obviously beyond the realm of possibility.)

And of course you are allowed to dislike whatever characters you want, Ichiro is no exception. However, the vitriol for this character is absurd. "An annoying little prick" is an extreme and distasteful way to describe a child character who is by no means intended as anything of the sort.
Are you really going to pretend that people don't defend this movie purely because they see Honda's name in the credits? I promise you that if this film was directed by Jun Fukuda or anyone else, it would still be the subject of universal hatred in the fanbase. Maybe 90% was a stretch, but a bit of hyperbole doesn't change the fact that there are plenty of people out there who will love (or hate) a movie just because of its director. Obviously I have no way of proving this, but I've seen it happen with lots of other films. As an example of the opposite happening, people hated both Batman vs. Superman and Justice League before they even came out because they hated Zack Snyder. Granted, both movies were deeply flawed, but people decided they were bad the second they saw Snyder's name attached. People's reasons for liking or disliking a film aren't always great. Sometimes it's not a matter of understanding or appreciating someone else's opinions; sometimes, someone else formed their opinions for a bad reason. If you genuinely love this film and not purely because it is a Honda film, then great. People like what they like. But don't assume that no one claims to like this film for that reason alone.

I'm aware Honda had to assume effects director duties, but given that he did okay with the final kaiju fight, I don't see why he couldn't have thrown in a couple more in place of excessive stock footage. The Gabara suit was made, the Monster Island set was made, so why couldn't there have been a few new scenes with the kaiju, which wouldn't have needed to involve expensive pyrotechnics and animation, instead of several straight minutes ripped from two other Godzilla movies? As I said above, I see no issue with having small stock footage shots for other kaiju to make cameos or for brief effects shots (like Godzilla firing his ray) to be reused, but reusing entire fight scenes is ridiculous. And if Tanaka's plan was to reuse footage from previous films, that was a lazy ass plan and he should've given Godzilla a few more years off and saved the small amount he spent on this movie. Also, saying stock footage shouldn't have been overused isn't even close to saying a movie should've used a completely different style of effects work to bring its monsters to life. That's not really beyond the realm of possibility.

Why is the hatred for Ichiro any more absurd than, say, the hatred for Kazuma Aoki in GvMG2? I happen to like that character, but a large portion of the fanbase (at least here on TK) hates his guts with a fiery passion and talks about how he's the "worst Godzilla character ever." If it's because Ichiro is a child, then I don't accept that. There are plenty of amazingly talented child actors out there. Pretty much everyone from It and Stranger Things, and Dafne Keen from Logan if you want a few recent examples. The child actor who played Ichiro isn't one of them. To be fair, I don't think he's an inaccurate portrayal of a child, he's just a child character who I find annoying and dislike. Clearly, a lot of fans agree with me, and quite a few disagree as well. But I don't think being a child absolves him of being a bad character. To use an example from the Godzilla series itself, I like Ken Yano from Godzilla vs. Hedorah. I found his love of Godzilla relatable when I was a child; even though Ichiro is also a young boy who loves Godzilla, I never found him relatable. Maybe if I'd grown up with absentee parents I would have, but who knows?

As it stands, Godzilla's Revenge/All Monsters Attack is a strange movie which, in my opinion, was poorly made and has no need to exist. Because many regard it as the worst Godzilla film, and some don't consider it a "real" Godzilla film at all, there has been a concerted effort in recent years by a portion of the fanbase to defend this movie. Personally, I have yet to see a compelling argument for why this is a good movie. The three arguments I see, over and over, are:
1 - The filmmakers did there best with what they were given.
2 - Ichiro has a good character arc compared to most Godzilla protagonists.
3 - The film was personal for Honda and is misunderstood by fans, especially in the West.
I disagree with points one and two. Point three may be true; perhaps, having not grown up in Japan, I am missing something that is more obvious to others with a better understanding of Japanese culture than I possess. All I know is that I despised this film as a child then, a few years ago, after reading a wealth of material defending the film, I tried to watch it again on two separate occasions and my opinions did not change.
Last edited by HedorahIsBestGirl on Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

godjacob wrote:But irregardless dropping paint on that random guy and having fun at his expense is bullying,
No, it is not. Bullying is an act taken against those less powerful (physically or socially) than oneself. Ichiro has no power over the painter.

His behavior is obnoxious and inappropriate, but it is not bullying.

Added in 9 minutes 51 seconds:
HedorahIsBestGirl wrote:Are you really going to pretend that people don't defend this movie purely because they see Honda's name in the credits? I promise you that if this film was directed by Jun Fukuda or anyone else, it would still be the subject of universal hatred in the fanbase. Maybe 90% was a stretch, but a bit of hyperbole doesn't change the fact that there are plenty of people out there who will love (or hate) a movie just because of its director. Obviously I have no way of proving this, but I've seen it happen with lots of other films. As an example of the opposite happening, people hated both Batman vs. Superman and Justice League before they even came out because they hated Zack Snyder. Granted, both movies were deeply flawed, but people decided they were bad the second they saw Snyder's name attached.
I think you're missing a causal relationship here. People don't dismiss Zack Snyder movies that they haven't seen because they are Zack Snyder movies; they dismiss Zack Snyder movies that they haven't seen because they are Zack Snyder movies, and those people already know themselves to dislike the stylistic and thematic approaches Snyder takes to his work. Meanwhile, many people who like Honda's style and themes, and who have seen AMA, like it because they have a positive response to what Honda brings to the movie.

People may be more willing to reevaluate it based on Honda's involvement, and I'm sure knowledge of that involvement informs how most of us read the movie, but I don't see any reason to assume that people's opinion of the movie is totally unrelated to the content of the movie.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

I already answered the bulk of your arguments in my original post.
Perhaps those people see something in the movie you can't or don't want to see, or maybe they have a different criteria for what makes a good (Godzilla) movie. Because you don't understand or can't accept why someone likes a movie doesn't mean that his or her appreciation of it is unjustified.
I'd suggest that, instead of focusing on what the movie isn't, fans should try to critique the movie on what it is and what its filmmakers set out to do.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

eabaker wrote:
godjacob wrote:But irregardless dropping paint on that random guy and having fun at his expense is bullying,
No, it is not. Bullying is an act taken against those less powerful (physically or socially) than oneself. Ichiro has no power over the painter.

His behavior is obnoxious and inappropriate, but it is not bullying.

Added in 9 minutes 51 seconds:
HedorahIsBestGirl wrote:Are you really going to pretend that people don't defend this movie purely because they see Honda's name in the credits? I promise you that if this film was directed by Jun Fukuda or anyone else, it would still be the subject of universal hatred in the fanbase. Maybe 90% was a stretch, but a bit of hyperbole doesn't change the fact that there are plenty of people out there who will love (or hate) a movie just because of its director. Obviously I have no way of proving this, but I've seen it happen with lots of other films. As an example of the opposite happening, people hated both Batman vs. Superman and Justice League before they even came out because they hated Zack Snyder. Granted, both movies were deeply flawed, but people decided they were bad the second they saw Snyder's name attached.
I think you're missing a causal relationship here. People don't dismiss Zack Snyder movies that they haven't seen because they are Zack Snyder movies; they dismiss Zack Snyder movies that they haven't seen because they are Zack Snyder movies, and those people already know themselves to dislike the stylistic and thematic approaches Snyder takes to his work. Meanwhile, many people who like Honda's style and themes, and who have seen AMA, like it because they have a positive response to what Honda brings to the movie.

People may be more willing to reevaluate it based on Honda's involvement, and I'm sure knowledge of that involvement informs how most of us read the movie, but I don't see any reason to assume that people's opinion of the movie is totally unrelated to the content of the movie.
My point was that Ichiro doing the same behavior that his bullies had done is off in a movie that seemed to want to sympathize his plight when he was the victim is a bit of a thematic issue. I consider tossing a paint can on a poor guy who isn't in position to do anything about it bullying but apples and oranges there.

Irregardless I do agree it is obnoxious and inappropriate behavior. The kid is unlikable so he makes an already bad movie worse as he is the focus of the story.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

For the longest time, thanks to scathing reviews from multiple G fans like myself, I avoided this movie like the plague. ESPECIALLY after my brother watched it. He told me it was skreeonking TERRIBLE, the worst Godzilla film ever made!

Christmas 2019, however, I got the Blu-Ray Criterion Showa Era collection as a gift, and thus I decided to watch all the movies. Thinking it would be best to start with everyone's least favorite, I watched All Monsters Attack. And I was in for a shock.

Not only did I find it nowhere near as bad as my brother had described, but I absolutely loved the movie. And to this day, I see it as a hugely underrated masterpiece.

I give it 4/5.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

ShinGojira14 wrote:For the longest time, thanks to scathing reviews from multiple G fans like myself, I avoided this movie like the plague. ESPECIALLY after my brother watched it. He told me it was skreeonking TERRIBLE, the worst Godzilla film ever made!

Christmas 2019, however, I got the Blu-Ray Criterion Showa Era collection as a gift, and thus I decided to watch all the movies. Thinking it would be best to start with everyone's least favorite, I watched All Monsters Attack. And I was in for a shock.

Not only did I find it nowhere near as bad as my brother had described, but I absolutely loved the movie. And to this day, I see it as a hugely underrated masterpiece.

I give it 4/5.
Wow, I'm one of this movie's more staunch defenders on TK, and even I've never gone as far as "masterpiece," but I kinda love that you did.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

ShinGojira14 wrote:For the longest time, thanks to scathing reviews from multiple G fans like myself, I avoided this movie like the plague. ESPECIALLY after my brother watched it. He told me it was skreeonking TERRIBLE, the worst Godzilla film ever made!

I give it 4/5.
:applause: 10/10 story, like dis if u cri evry time. :cry:
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

Is "Gabara" an actual Japanese name, or is it just Ichiro's name for the bully. I can almost imagine an exchange between them going like:

"Gimme the vacuum tubes back, Gabara!!"
"What the hell are you talking about, Ichiro? My name is Yoshifumi! We've been through this before!"

GalacticPetey
Gotengo Officer

Post by GalacticPetey »

I asked this in another thread but never got a response. Do we know why this film isn't on HBO Max with the rest of the Showa films. The rest of the Criterion released stuff is there aside from King Kong vs. Godzilla, but the legal issues with that movie make it pretty obvious as to why it wasn't included.

I don't think it'd be an issue of perceived quality as Megalon has received similar levels of derision and yet it's still on there. I would also hope that such a line of thinking would prevent its addition to streaming. Is there some weird licensing issue with this movie?
I can't believe that Godzilla was the only surviving member of its species, but if we continue conducting nuclear tests, it's possible that another Godzilla might appear somewhere in the world again.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Man, the fantasy sequences of this with Ichiro hanging out with Minilla on Monster Island are ripe for being turned into a kids cartoon series and/or movie.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Definitely a cartoon series.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Manilla is ugly-cute. The next baby Yoda!

Crazy Jim Films
Monarch Researcher

Post by Crazy Jim Films »

Terasawa wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:45 am I want to backtrack a bit to address this: it's non-objective to suggest "90% of people defend this movie purely because it's made by Honda." Perhaps those people see something in the movie you can't or don't want to see, or maybe they have a different criteria for what makes a good (Godzilla) movie. Because you don't understand or can't accept why someone likes a movie doesn't mean that his or her appreciation of it is unjustified.

Pretty spot on. Never really liked Godzilla's Revenge growing up and is still probably close to the bottom of my list of Showa era Godzilla films. When arguing with members of a specific fandom, I do come across quite a few who do have trouble when it comes to critiquing films on what they are over what they feel they should have been. I can cop to have fallen down the well a few times myself. As a Godzilla fan, it is hard to view this one without some sense of disappointment but looking at the film for specifically what it is, it is well-executed on most levels.
Check out the PG version of my short film, "Destroy All Sisters".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNVCmLaqznA&t=1s

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

It does serve as a good introduction into the series for kids.
Last edited by edgaguirus on Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.