Talkback Thread #10: All Monsters Attack (1969)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Re: Talkback Thread #10: All Monsters Attack (1969)

Post by Terasawa »

eabaker wrote:Ichiro's story is not just an excuse to string monster clips together, which it easily could have been. I'm sufficiently engrossed in it, in fact, that the absence of monster action near the end doesn't bother me; by then, it has served its purpose in Ichiro's arc.
Yeah, I am too. As I've said before, Honda's direction as Sachio Sakai pulls a knife on Ichiro is some of his best work. Sakai isn't bumbling there, at least not at first, and the combination of Miyauchi's scoring and the tight editing really makes the brief sequence work well. There's humor in that entire chase, but it's also very important to remember this was a movie specifically to be screened at a children's holiday film festival. Ichiro is frightened after the robbers have been apprehended (and Yazaki plays it pretty well); I think that's a pretty realistic response to a near-death experience, especially if you have to rely on your fight-or-flight mode to survive as Ichiro did.

Also, speaking of Tomonori Yazaki, he's the only child that ever had to carry a Godzilla film as the main performer and he does a really good job.

There are a lot of types of Godzilla fans that won't enjoy this movie no matter what, including those who only watch for the monsters and those who find anything remotely funny in these movies out of place. I can understand why some people don't like this movie but I think there's enough here that removes it from serious contention as "the worst Godzilla movie."
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Terasawa wrote:

There are a lot of types of Godzilla fans that won't enjoy this movie no matter what, including those who only watch for the monsters and those who find anything remotely funny in these movies out of place. I can understand why some people don't like this movie but I think there's enough here that removes it from serious contention as "the worst Godzilla movie."
I agree with everything you and eabaker had said previously, and this last part especially. It's an interesting and memorable piece of Honda's work, in my opinion. I think it draws me in more than say, vs Megaguirus or vs Mechagodzilla (1993).
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:
Terasawa wrote:

I agree with everything you and eabaker had said previously, and this last part especially. It's an interesting and memorable piece of Honda's work, in my opinion. I think it draws me in more than say, vs Megaguirus or vs Mechagodzilla (1993).
God, yes. Ichiro at least has some kind of inner life worth exploring!
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

I dunno, I have tried watching this many many times, with many different interpretations, expectations or lack thereof, and I still can't get into it. Ichiro aggravates me to no end, I find him to be a rather unlikable protagonist. The bully angle only works for me if the kid himself isn't a bully. Ichiro isn't sympathetic, so it's hard for me to care that he's bullied or have any stake in his fight.

The stock footage is a common complaint, and while people like to defend it, it's always used as jabs against other films that use stock footage, such as Godzilla vs. Gigan, so. How it's used in this is jarring to me.

I can see how people can find some enjoyment in this, I've just never been able to. It's always been my least favorite, and I think it always will be.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Gojirawars 03
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gojirawars 03 »

JAGzilla wrote:I would say Revenge is probably around the halfway point of my amorphous, unfixed list, maybe edging into the top half. The anime trilogy would kind of have to be in the bottom five or so, due to their dull monster action, but COTEOB would be the top of the trilogy. I love the audacity of Mechagodzilla City.
As a person with a major love for Mechagodzilla as a character (if you couldn't tell), I hate how COTEOB turned him into a weird metaphor for the sake of the film's equally weird message about technology. I mean, the anime Mechagodzilla's design is already bad enough, but to add insult to injury, we never even see him do anything. Add in the way that this movie was very obviously marketed as a new Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla movie, and you just have one disappointing, boring mess of a film. Yeah, COTEOB is worse than Revenge. I've finally decided on it. It's the worst of the trilogy for me, with the best being POTM (mostly just because of the opening montage and the final scene of Godzilla Earth coming out of the mountain), and Planet Eater being in the middle (Ghidorah was cool, aside from the design, but the whole film was boring all over again). I still can't decide if I think COTEOB or Raids Again is worse. Both are an absolute chore to sit through, but I don't think anything about Raids Again is really offensive. It's just the worst film to me because it's such a boring drag, which is like a crime against humanity for a Godzilla film. Revenge was at least so incredibly ridiculous and stupid that it was ironically funny. So, I'm indecisive.
Last edited by Gojirawars 03 on Thu May 09, 2019 7:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
"The time has come, finally, to put our technology to the final test."
-Dr. Asimov

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8S9Rq ... r78nzbs-FQ

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Maritonic wrote:I dunno, I have tried watching this many many times, with many different interpretations, expectations or lack thereof, and I still can't get into it. Ichiro aggravates me to no end, I find him to be a rather unlikable protagonist. The bully angle only works for me if the kid himself isn't a bully. Ichiro isn't sympathetic, so it's hard for me to care that he's bullied or have any stake in his fight.

The stock footage is a common complaint, and while people like to defend it, it's always used as jabs against other films that use stock footage, such as Godzilla vs. Gigan, so. How it's used in this is jarring to me.

I can see how people can find some enjoyment in this, I've just never been able to. It's always been my least favorite, and I think it always will be.
In this film, the context is that Ichiro is a fan of Godzilla, either the films in universe, or perhaps if Godzilla is real in the film he is aware of the monsters Godzilla fought. It would make sense that he would imagine the monsters fighting, based on what he has seen or heard. It doesn`t work with GvGigan, because from the audiences, AND protagonists perspective, we are watching an entirely new sequence of events.

I also think that while I don`t like the ending, with Ichiro beating Gabara up and spilling the paint on the painter, I also think it`s more natural and honest. I think it`s more accurate to how kids actually behave. Of course Ichiro is younger, but I see my japanese highschool students, especially the boys, sortve rough house with each other all the time. If Ichiro was just like, `Lets be friends`, I think it would`ve excused all the bullying that Gabara did to him earlier. To be clear, I`m not condoning it, I just don`t take too much issue with it. I still find it problematic in some regards, but I have more problems with the filler with the robbers that proceeds it. The film doesn`t know if the Gabara human, is Gabara the bully, or the thieves. The analogy would make more sense if Minya fought more monsters in the film. I agree with Eabaker that it has a message, and isn`t the worst, but I don`t think it sticks the landing properly.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Oh, no, him fighting back against Gabara isn't my complaint. Standing up to someone who bullies him? No way; totally fine. The painter though? Beating on that dude's car? That's more what I'm referring to.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Maritonic wrote:Oh, no, him fighting back against Gabara isn't my complaint. Standing up to someone who bullies him? No way; totally fine. The painter though? Beating on that dude's car? That's more what I'm referring to.
Yeah, I think it’s also really damaging because earlier that’s what one of the bullies wanted Ichiro to do. In a way he agreed to being hazed.

Perhaps if Ichiro was bullied into doing that early on, and got in trouble it would’ve made way more sense.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
Maritonic wrote:Oh, no, him fighting back against Gabara isn't my complaint. Standing up to someone who bullies him? No way; totally fine. The painter though? Beating on that dude's car? That's more what I'm referring to.
Yeah, I think it’s also really damaging because earlier that’s what one of the bullies wanted Ichiro to do. In a way he agreed to being hazed.

Perhaps if Ichiro was bullied into doing that early on, and got in trouble it would’ve made way more sense.
It's something they wanted him to do, and he said something like "No, he could get hurt/that would be cruel." And then, once he's in, he's like, "Hey, check it out- this will make me popular!" That's what I hate about it. It's probably realistic, but it's just... not a good development.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

I think what they were going for with Ichiro honking the horn was he not only needed to learn how to stand up for himself, but he also needed the bravery to experience life a little bit. We all make mistakes, and its important that we learn from them, but Ichiro was so sheltered that he was basically afraid to do anything good or bad.

His experiences with the bank robbers, reconciliation with his parents, and lessons he learned from his Godzilla fantasies gave him the self esteem he needed to finally live life and be a normal kid. He stood up to his bully and showed he can't be pushed around, and then he turned around and did something stupid, which he realized right away was wrong. He made a mistake, but now his life won't be so humdrum and boring and he's more willing to expose himself to new experiences rather than be the meek and scared boy he was at the start of the film.

Now granted, the way it comes off in the film is Ichiro has basically superseded Gabara as the new alpha bully, and it probably could have been done better, but knowing Honda's mindset, I doubt that was the intention.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

GojiDog wrote:I think what they were going for with Ichiro honking the horn was he not only needed to learn how to stand up for himself, but he also needed the bravery to experience life a little bit. We all make mistakes, and its important that we learn from them, but Ichiro was so sheltered that he was basically afraid to do anything good or bad.

His experiences with the bank robbers, reconciliation with his parents, and lessons he learned from his Godzilla fantasies gave him the self esteem he needed to finally live life and be a normal kid. He stood up to his bully and showed he can't be pushed around, and then he turned around and did something stupid, which he realized right away was wrong. He made a mistake, but now his life won't be so humdrum and boring and he's more willing to expose himself to new experiences rather than be the meek and scared boy he was at the start of the film.
Thanks! I've tried to make this point in the past, but you articulated it far better than I ever have!
Now granted, the way it comes off in the film is Ichiro has basically superseded Gabara as the new alpha bully, and it probably could have been done better, but knowing Honda's mindset, I doubt that was the intention.
I've never understood this claim, though. While the movie suggests the the other kids may now follow Ichiro to some degree, is there any suggestion that he'll use this newfound power to attack those weaker than himself, or with a lower social status? Is there any indication at all of what, if anything, he'll do with this power?

Honestly, my best guess would be that, by the next day, Ichiro's back to mostly palling around with that one girl, but the other kids aren't picking on them anymore.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

I always took it as he was just going to be a bully like Gabara. That's how I interpreted it when I rewatched it not too long ago.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Good analysis, GojiDog, I think that was Sekizawa's/Honda's intent and that's how I've always read it. He stands up to his bullies and by doing so shows that, like the monster Gabara, they're not nearly as tough as they act. It's not a matter of usurping them to become the new bully at school.

As for the painter becoming a victim of Ichiro's "rampage," that's because it's a kid's movie and they're ending it on a bit of (good) physical comedy, although I agree it's an action that has unintended consequences for Ichiro's development. He doesn't mean to cause the painter to fall, he's just honking the horn because that's something a kid having fun would do. He tells his dad to apologize for him; I don't think a "bad kid" would have bothered doing that.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Maritonic wrote:I always took it as he was just going to be a bully like Gabara. That's how I interpreted it when I rewatched it not too long ago.
And I just don't see anything in the movie that suggests that.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

eabaker wrote:
Maritonic wrote:I always took it as he was just going to be a bully like Gabara. That's how I interpreted it when I rewatched it not too long ago.
I certainly do. The way he acts the entire film. He's not really a "good" kid. He's kind of a shithead haha.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Maritonic wrote:
eabaker wrote:
I certainly do. The way he acts the entire film. He's not really a "good" kid. He's kind of a shithead haha.
I can't think of any moments in which he demonstrates cruelty, or exploits any kind of power over anyone else.
Last edited by eabaker on Thu May 16, 2019 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

eabaker wrote:
Maritonic wrote:
eabaker wrote:
I can't think of any moments in which he demonstrates cruelty, or exploits any kind of power over anyone else.
From my perspective, he's simply not a "nice, good" child. He's a punk. He jumps on the guys car, punks the painter guy, laughs at the old man's pain and expense. He's not a sympathetic character. I don't like him, I think it's very easy to foresee him becoming a bully himself.

Not sure why this is a point of contention.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Maritonic wrote:Not sure why this is a point of contention.
Because not everyone perceives the character or the circumstances the same way that you do.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

eabaker wrote:
Maritonic wrote:Not sure why this is a point of contention.
Because not everyone perceives the character or the circumstances the same way that you do.
I never said everyone did. I have said that I have.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Maritonic wrote:
eabaker wrote:
Maritonic wrote:
From my perspective, he's simply not a "nice, good" child. He's a punk. He jumps on the guys car, punks the painter guy, laughs at the old man's pain and expense.
I think from my perspective, this is it, too. He demonstrates cruelty to the painter; that, to me, is the key. It's not necessarily that he is going to be a bully to those in a lower social strata- but he does go after someone unsuspecting, who has done no harm to them- and the potential for his actions to cause them harm is something he expressed awareness of earlier in the movie. That, combined with a general lack of compassion, kindness, responsibility, etc. (i.e. general being a jerk), combines to paint a poor character picture. He doesn't seem to care much about anyone else; never really thanks his saint of a neighbor, I don't recall him ever sticking up for his friend (I thought he just abandoned her when the bullies showed up, but I freely admit I don't remember clearly enough to say), doesn't respect other people's property or consider when they may be in pain or distress; sure, all of these are kid traits. But when he caps it off by doing something malicious to a person that, while not of lower social strata, is still very much someone he has power over (via the element of surprise, their unsuspecting nature, and remote position)- something that he does knowingly, having already recognized the potential consequences to their person earlier- it paints him as, if not technically a 'bully' in the traditional 'picking on the younger/weaker' sense, still someone with a bullying, cruel, or thuggish mindset... someone who has turned on the moral code he previously espoused (and which already had some significant... room for improvement, to begin with).

(Although, I do find the toymaker in pain scene ambiguous enough that I could read it as 'Ichiro didn't quite realize he'd gotten hurt, and was just being a little clueless in thinking the guy was practicing his monster roars while holding his foot.' :) I mean, let's face it- kids can be a bit dense, sometimes.) ;)
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!