Jet Jaguar updated for modern times?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Re: Jet Jaguar updated for modern times?

Post by Tohosaurus »

Gojira-Fan wrote:
Tohosaurus wrote:Speaking of that, it'd be fun to see the much of the Showa series remade. Completely unrealistic but still.
Depends on your definition of remake. You could argue that a good portion of the heisei series was remakes.
This is true, because I especially would like to see more of a relationship between the films and so the plots would probably be revised. For example, Ghidorah and Astro Monster are right next to each other and a similar plot (alien invasion via KG) but they aren't related. Some kind of connection would be nice.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

Patrick Alan
Interpol Agent

Post by Patrick Alan »

He looked like a pointy headed Power Ranger! How do you update that?
The world would be so much nicer if people only used guns on themselves.

Patrick Alan
Interpol Agent

Post by Patrick Alan »

Wow, that actually looks pretty cool....

Patrick Alan
Interpol Agent

Post by Patrick Alan »

Cimmerian Dragon wrote:
That'd make a hell of a nice super-articulated action figure.
F@cking A' right it would!

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Old JJ updated for modern times? You know, as crazy as it may sound, I can actully see that happening. After all, Ultraman does seem to be the hot stuff in Japan right now. If Toho were to do another Godzilla series, I could see them using Jet Jaguar to cash in on the Ultraman stuff.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

I like the art designs, but I feel they give him too thick of legs in a few of them. I think he would do with a nice Iron man type of look like from the Iron man movies and the upcoming avengers movie. Keep the same colors but make the colors a darker shade like the Iron man suit is in the films.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

Jet Jaguar would be cool if you gave him the Iron Giant type of personality, you know protector
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

KaijuDuke
G-Force Personnel

Post by KaijuDuke »

Lain Of The Wired wrote:Jet Jaguar would be cool if you gave him the Iron Giant type of personality, you know protector

JJ should definitely always be a defender/protector, whether he be a sentient android or a human piloted mech.

Cosbydaf
JXSDF Technician

Post by Cosbydaf »

I think a lot of the problem with Jet Jaguar is that he's nearly impossible to take seriously. While he could be altered to be more serious that just begs the question "How much can you change him before it stops being Jet Jaguar?" If all that remains is "giant humanoid robot" it might as well be a new creation.

I don't think it's impossible to give Jet Jaguar a good revision, but it is tricky.

on that subject my favorite redesign of him is this:
http://th07.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/i/2 ... 4salkl.png

Megalon-5
JXSDF Technician

Post by Megalon-5 »

I think it's certainly possible for Jet to be updated, but it'd be a challenge of getting rid of the camp factor while keeping Jet Jaguar the same guy we know and love. Maybe the size changing could be explained by some sort of alien technology?
Cosbydaf wrote:http://th07.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/i/2 ... 4salkl.png
That's probably one of the best redesigns of any Toho creation I've ever seen.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Holy shit..that's actually a bitchin' redesign!
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

junkerde
Terminated
Terminated

Post by junkerde »

maybe if they continued the story, where godzilla wasnt seen again after megalon (or terror of mechag if it's chronological). and they did say jet was waiting for the day he would be needed again. how bout it takes a turn in a different light, and the military confiscated jet after the megalon events. and how many years later in the future, godzilla seems to be a threat, they decide to relaunch jet updated, so jet has to fight his " friend" godzilla, a twist in the story, plus it would be even more interesting if jet had memory of godzilla inside himself, but that sounds a bit corny there....

Tomzilla
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by Tomzilla »

At one time nobody thought Gamera could ever be anything more than a campy, ridiculous character. Then the '90s happened. Now whenever I think about Gamera, I picture the Heisei incarnation.

Jet Jaguar could easily be updated. His name, however, would have to go. If it didn't, it'd be either a hit or a miss. It'd just depend on the execution of the new and improved Jet Jaguar. If he ever did return, I beg thee 'o great and mighty Kaiju Gods, please... keep the groovy grin. Jet Jaguar needs it everywhere he goes.
Monster Sightings Video: GHIDORAH | King of Terror!
“Everyone, deep in their hearts, is waiting for the end of the world to come.”

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

^ you can't change Jet J's name!
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Lain Of The Wired wrote:^ you can't change Jet J's name!
The kid who designed the character might dispute that assertion.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Red Alone sounds far more badass.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

KaijuDuke
G-Force Personnel

Post by KaijuDuke »

MaxRebo320 wrote:Red Alone sounds far more badass.

Red Alone is a pretty cool name, but it may be hard to get away with changing JJ's name decades later. His name can be explained away as something his eccentric fanboy inventor cooked up :P