Talkback Thread #9: Destroy All Monsters (1968)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
RedZillaKing

Re: Talkback Thread #9: Destroy All Monsters (1968)

Post by RedZillaKing »

JVM... two things. 1, who quotes themself in a signature... 2, what's with the anti Godzilla series sentiment in said signature?

Anyways, this movie had the potential to be so much more. Just the actual inclusion of Baragon and Varan would've knocked it up a couple notches.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

I almost asked the same thing a little while ago, then I realized; it's JVM. :?

Also, what's this "weakness of Rodan" business?
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

RedZillaKing

Post by RedZillaKing »

Maybe he's referring to the fact that the Fire Dragon took him out with ease. I dunno.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Yeah, it's not like we saw a horrible Rodan miniature twirl, and smash into a nearby mountain. ;)
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

RedZillaKing

Post by RedZillaKing »

Well it certainly isn't my favorite Showa film. And it sure looked like it knocked him down to me.

@Goji: Lol... You forgot "in ridiculous slow motion".

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

For anyone asking about Rodan's weakness in the film I assume he means when Rodan gets hit with Gravity beams and runs away from the battle where in Monster Zero they barely have an effect on him.

I chalk it up to old age.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

miguelnuva wrote:For anyone asking about Rodan's weakness in the film I assume he means when Rodan gets hit with Gravity beams and runs away from the battle where in Monster Zero they barely have an effect on him.

I chalk it up to old age.
I chalk it up the the humans controlling him. Maybe they wanted to keep him unharmed in case they needed him to help out somewhere else. After all, Rodan was the fastest they had.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

menschenjaeger
Monsterland Worker

Post by menschenjaeger »

To me, the Rodan effects were not that great at a few points. I assume that's what is meant by "weakness" because that was my impression of him during the movie (which I like a LOT. Like, "like" it, like it. :D), too.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

The flying Rodan marionette is pretty poor in comparison to the wonderful one from MONSTER ZERO. It's just kind of...stiff.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Rodan's '68 suit is downright terrible. It saddens me to see my favorite kaiju look so miserable.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Out of all the monsters in DAM Rodan's suit is the only one that makes me think the film takes place in 99 instead of 68. Does anyone know what happened to Rodan's 68 suit?

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

What does the condition of the suit have to do with the film taking place in '99? It was still filmed in the 60's.

It was already 3 years old at the time. That's "what happened to it".

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Goji wrote:What does the condition of the suit have to do with the film taking place in '99? It was still filmed in the 60's.

It was already 3 years old at the time. That's "what happened to it".
When I say the suit makes me think the film takes place in 99 is because how old the suit looks compared to how it looked in Monster Zero, it looks like Rodan aged.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

menschenjaeger
Monsterland Worker

Post by menschenjaeger »

THAT'S why G and Rodan couldn't take down the SY-3...they're geezers. Also explains Godzilla's constant "gumming:" he's trying to keep those huge dentures* in place.

*space titanium?

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

I think Rodan's role was small simply due to logistics and the challenges the SFX crew faced in pulling off such a massive battle. King Ghidorah alone takes numerous people/technicians to operate, and adding another flying monster in Rodan would have added even more challenges to an already ambition battle scene. The regular standing/crawling kaiju (Godzilla/Gorosaurus/Angilas) were most likely far easier to operate, hence why they had the biggest roles in their battle. Of course, like everyone else, I wish Rodan would have had a bigger role in the battle...but I still think this battle was vintage Tsuburaya and co. at their best...
GIANT CONDOR!!!!!!!! :shock:

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

Killswitch
G-Force Personnel

Post by Killswitch »

I like this film, but find it hard to beleive humans can capture all those monsters and place them on an island - lol

Now thats something I would like to see!

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

I would assume that they didn't so much capture and transport them as they probably lured and confined them there.

Of course, Mothra might have gone voluntarily. All it would take would be one impassioned speech about keeping an eye on the other monsters for the sake of all life on Earth or some such.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

I think Mothra went to the island because by 1999 Godzilla had done his superhero thing, Angurius and Rodan were loyal to him, Rodan also to Mothra maybe so once the 4 of them got the the island any other monster had no other choice but to obey.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

miguelnuva wrote:I think Mothra went to the island because by 1999 Godzilla had done his superhero thing, Angurius and Rodan were loyal to him, Rodan also to Mothra maybe so once the 4 of them got the the island any other monster had no other choice but to obey.
And, if we assume that GvsGigan and GvsMegalon take place in the years that they were released, most of the monsters seem to have gravitated towards the island decades before the events of DAM.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Terrier
JXSDF Technician

Post by Terrier »

We know that Mothra tried to escape at the begining, but couldn't because of the defense mechanisms... I makes me wonder, did the mechanisms activate to stop Mothra from leaving, meaning that humans actually have her prisioner? Or did they activate to stop Godzilla, who was trying to escape at the same time, so preventing Mothra from leaving for the time being?

Her last scenne is similar to her first scenne, she is going the same direction while Gorosaurus watches, wich would mean that she is trying to leave again, and this times tere is nothing stoping her. My guess is that she returned to the island to make sure that everything is alright with the monsters, and now is returning to Infant Island.

And does anyone know what is that "typhoon from 20 years ago" that is mentioned?