Talkback Thread #7: Ebirah, Horror of the Deep (1966)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
User avatar
eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 10653
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:16 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Talkback Thread #7: Ebirah, Horror of the Deep (1966)

Postby eabaker » Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:20 pm

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
Freebleeper wrote:I found this one quite significant as it officially would make Godzilla a hero as yes in Ghidrah, the three headed monster he did help the human race against Ghidrah but still immediately the next film he's under alien control to wreck havoc and just seeing the human characters in Ebriah, Horror of the Deep encouraging him to leave the island before the atomic bomb destroys and than are happy he did made it pretty much makes him an official hero in the series now. :D :) ;)


Jesus I thought this was Eabaker for a moment thanks to that avatar. I was wondering why he was suddenly pulling out the emojis.


Hahaha!

I changed my pic a couple of months ago, though. :D :) ;)
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

User avatar
Tyrant_Lizard_King
Keizer
Posts: 8894
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:57 am
Location: The Planet Trade HQ
Contact:

Re: Talkback Thread #7: Ebirah, Horror of the Deep (1966)

Postby Tyrant_Lizard_King » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:21 am

Hell even through most of Son of Godzilla he is viewed as a threat. He even causes my inadverdant destruction when he first comes ashore.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983
Image

User avatar
Gojirawars 03
Yin-Yang Master
Posts: 250
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:18 am

Re: Talkback Thread #7: Ebirah, Horror of the Deep (1966)

Postby Gojirawars 03 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:29 am

Terasawa wrote:
Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:
Gojirawars 03 wrote:This one is inoffensive to me. It's not really bad, but its definitely not good...
It's just kinda there...


What makes it "definitely not good"


No beam locks.

Nah, just the fact that Godzilla barely shows up until like an hour in, and even then, his design looks off (even for mid-Showa suit standards) and his personality is more like that of King Kong, due to the sudden replacement, which I assume is the only reason Godzilla is as "heroic" as he is in this film. Not to mention the fight is literally just a game of 1965 green-screen volleyball.

The Giant Condor is a blessing upon this Earth, however. He's easily the most important and most powerful kaiju in the franchise. so powerful that Godzilla is helpless against his power, and pleads for mercy, which the gracious Condor grants him. I mean, even the editor wasn't able to show a single shot of the Condor onscreen for more than half a second, because no-one can handle that much sheer power for more than a second.
"The time has come, finally, to put our technology to the final test."
-Dr. Asimov

Image
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8S9RqfL3pOgHr78nzbs-FQ

User avatar
Mr_Goji_and_Watch
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2330
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:34 pm
Location: le kinoplex locale
Contact:

Re: Talkback Thread #7: Ebirah, Horror of the Deep (1966)

Postby Mr_Goji_and_Watch » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:51 am

Gojirawars 03 wrote:Nah, just the fact that Godzilla barely shows up until like an hour in, and even then, his design looks off (even for mid-Showa suit standards) and his personality is more like that of King Kong, due to the sudden replacement, which I assume is the only reason Godzilla is as "heroic" as he is in this film. Not to mention the fight is literally just a game of 1965 green-screen volleyball.


This explains everything
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)

on 12-31-2017, Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:Nobody in the West can do the Oxygen Destroyer justice, especially not for some new Godzilla popcorn flick.

User avatar
Terasawa
G-Grasper
Posts: 1160
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:06 am

Re: Talkback Thread #7: Ebirah, Horror of the Deep (1966)

Postby Terasawa » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:54 am

Godzilla doesn't show up until an hour into Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah either, which as I recall may be one of your favorites. It's also not like nothing of any interest happens in that hour, unless you only watch these movies for the monsters. And "when does Godzilla first show up?" generally isn't established as a solid critique of a film. Fine if you don't like it for that reason but it's not a reason the movie is "definitely not good." Neither is "Godzilla looks weird." I agree it's far from the very best Godzilla costume but it's not the only time Toho has produced a subpar monster suit. I mean, I think Rodan looks weird in Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II but I try not to use that as my strongest criticism of that movie.

Also you've assumed wrong. The only sequence where Godzilla is portrayed heroically is when he saves Daiyo from the Giant Condor and then admires her. That's almost certainly a direct carry over from the film's origins as a King Kong vehicle. Otherwise Godzilla is feared by pretty much everyone, even Daiyo in that very same sequence. If that's not enough for you, consider the reactions of the male characters: they cower in terror and so Godzilla won't see them. Only at the end do the same characters try to get Godzilla to leave the island before it 'splodes. Ichino also states his belief that Godzilla won't destroy the world. This is a reflection of the character's growth over the last two films in which, when acting of his own accord, Godzilla in fact doesn't try to destroy the world. Aside from occasional talks with Mothra, dancing, and Young Guy impressions, Godzilla's characterization from 1964-1968 isn't too different from his characterization in the later Heisei films.

There's been a discussion about that in this very thread since your last post.

It's also not literally just rock volleyball. (And while we're at it, the technique the FX artists used to composite a rock into frame is probably very much like the technique used to do this.) Godzilla blasts Ebirah a few times and the two fight in close proximity both under the surface and above it. Their rematch at the end of the film doesn't have a volleyball match either but of course the detractors of this film aren't going to mention that because it doesn't support their biases. Or maybe they just weren't watching (their loss).
Last edited by Terasawa on Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Mr_Goji_and_Watch
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2330
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:34 pm
Location: le kinoplex locale
Contact:

Re: Talkback Thread #7: Ebirah, Horror of the Deep (1966)

Postby Mr_Goji_and_Watch » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:10 am

Terasawa wrote:And while we're at it, the technique the FX artists used to composite a rock into frame is probably very much like the technique used to do this.


I forgot how goofy this looked lol. Tanaka really did go back to the franchise's realistic roots and made up for the mistakes in the Showa series....
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)

on 12-31-2017, Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:Nobody in the West can do the Oxygen Destroyer justice, especially not for some new Godzilla popcorn flick.

MorgansTShirt
Yojimbo
Posts: 57
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:17 am

Re: Talkback Thread #7: Ebirah, Horror of the Deep (1966)

Postby MorgansTShirt » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:40 am

Gojirawars 03 wrote:Nah, just the fact that Godzilla barely shows up until like an hour in, and even then, his design looks off (even for mid-Showa suit standards) and his personality is more like that of King Kong, due to the sudden replacement, which I assume is the only reason Godzilla is as "heroic" as he is in this film. Not to mention the fight is literally just a game of 1965 green-screen volleyball.

I don't understand how your points make this movie "not good." It sounds more like there are some minor details you dislike, which is different from saying it's not a good movie.

If it had actors with zero charisma, characters who are written inconsistently, effects more shoddy than godzilla vs megalon, and camera angles that focus on some random trees and walls while the characters are talking about important details, then I'd say "Wow, this is definitely not good." But Godzilla showing up a little late doesn't exactly make it a bad or displeasing experience. And I don't think this is a Godzilla movie as much as it is an adventure movie that happens to feature Godzilla and Mothra, which is what a lot of kaiju movies were like around this time.

And I don't fully agree with those who say Godzilla acts like Kong in this movie. Aside from his vague, very vague, crush on Dayo(Daiyo?), I don't see anything especially Kong-like about him. Godzilla was already demonstrating very anthropomorphic tendencies in the last couple of films, and even used boulders as weapons. And even in the case with Dayo, it's not like he carried her around like a barbie doll.

And even if Godzilla did act like Kong, even if Godzilla pounded his fists on his chest and walked around like a gorilla and, I don't know, ate bananas, that still doesn't say anything about the quality of the film in itself as it plays out.
Last edited by MorgansTShirt on Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:46 am, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
MechaGoji Bro7503
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 5316
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:02 pm
Location: Black Hole Planet 3
Contact:

Re: Talkback Thread #7: Ebirah, Horror of the Deep (1966)

Postby MechaGoji Bro7503 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:29 pm

Ugh, it never ceases to amaze me when people complain bout Godzilla not showing up till half way through, especially when a film actually has entertaining, well acted characters.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

Dv-218 wrote:This is so sad, Alexa play "Bio-Wars".

Dr. Professor wrote:If I had a dollar for every "SAVE MOTHRA" joke, I'd be able to buy Legendary Pictures, renew the license for Godzilla, acquire the rights to the rest of the Toho monsters, and make a Godzilla film that totally bombs without even putting a dent in my bank account.

User avatar
Godzillian
Kwaidan
Posts: 5553
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:36 pm

Re: Talkback Thread #7: Ebirah, Horror of the Deep (1966)

Postby Godzillian » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:43 pm

Now here is a something I'm not saying to troll, why do people like these characters so much? I always found them a bit dull. What makes you guys like them so much? Their acting is all fine but I just can't get invested in them (except for Takarada and Daio)

Added in 1 minute 18 seconds:
Terasawa wrote:Godzilla doesn't show up until an hour into Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah either, which as I recall may be one of your favorites. It's also not like nothing of any interest happens in that hour, unless you only watch these movies for the monsters.

WHEN KAIJU :evil:
Image

User avatar
Ivo-goji
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2577
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:54 am

Re: Talkback Thread #7: Ebirah, Horror of the Deep (1966)

Postby Ivo-goji » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:06 pm

It's a much, much better cast than most of the films from the following nine years of the Showa series, granting a couple of exceptions.
Resized Image

Kaiju-King42 wrote:Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

User avatar
Terasawa
G-Grasper
Posts: 1160
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:06 am

Re: Talkback Thread #7: Ebirah, Horror of the Deep (1966)

Postby Terasawa » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:12 pm

Godzillian wrote:Now here is a something I'm not saying to troll, why do people like these characters so much? I always found them a bit dull. What makes you guys like them so much? Their acting is all fine but I just can't get invested in them (except for Takarada and Daio)


I think you're right for the most part. Takarada and Mizuno are the stars and they don't disappoint, although this obviously isn't either's best role.

Toru Watanabe (playing Ryota) gives a very one-note performance as the young man dedicated to finding his brother, but to his credit, at least he's convincing. This is a character I identified with as a kid and always considered him the "lead." (He's like eighth billed in the Japanese version even though his character gets everyone to the island.) Nita (Hideo Sunazuka) is the comic relief so Sunazuka's performance is also very one-dimensional but he has a few nice scenes with the Infant Island slaves.

Chotaro Togin, as Ichino, is given the least to do. Among the initial cast his is the character with the least defined personality. Only when Ryota escapes to Infant Island and Nita is captured does Togin get to show out (and then not for very long). Ichino creates the plan to wake Godzilla and is also (I think) the first human character in one of these movies to suggest that Godzilla isn't just a big destructive monster. (Yoshimura: "And Godzilla would [destroy the world.]" Ichino: "No, he wouldn't. I know that.") This is a really nice scene for him: Takarada is a bit reserved here and Togin definitely steals the spotlight from him as he convinces Yoshimura and Daiyo to wake Godzilla. The only Toho tokusatsu movie with a showy role for Togin is Yog and unfortunately for him I don't think "angry" was his type. He doesn't get any opportunities in his other films (bit parts in SOG and Revenge and he's totally overshadowed as Akira Kubo's SY-3 co-pilot in DAM) but I'd still like to see what else he could do in other genres.

I have nothing at all against these^ performers and I actually like that Fukuda or Tanaka decided to go with younger actors. But it's no surprise that the best supporting player in the movie is Akihiko Hirata. He didn't usually play villains in these movies but he totally shines here. I wish he'd had more scenes against Akira Takarada, maybe one in which he thinks he's finally caught his pray but is killed as Takarada escapes.

User avatar
Gojirawars 03
Yin-Yang Master
Posts: 250
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:18 am

Re: Talkback Thread #7: Ebirah, Horror of the Deep (1966)

Postby Gojirawars 03 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:41 am

Terasawa wrote:Godzilla doesn't show up until an hour into Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah either, which as I recall may be one of your favorites. It's also not like nothing of any interest happens in that hour, unless you only watch these movies for the monsters. And "when does Godzilla first show up?" generally isn't established as a solid critique of a film. Fine if you don't like it for that reason but it's not a reason the movie is "definitely not good." Neither is "Godzilla looks weird." I think Rodan looks weird in Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II!

Yes, it technically takes Godzilla around an hour to show up in GvKG, but at least in that film , when he shows up, it feels worth the wait. Not to mention we're watching actually interesting plot and characters in the meantime while the movie builds up his arrival. Plus we get stuff like the Godzillasaurus attack on Lagos or King Ghidorah's rampage to tide us over in terms of monster action. What do we get in EHotD? A bunch of guys stuck on an island while a puppet claw shows up to smash a toy boat every 25 minutes or so. Also, disliking the design of kaiju is a perfectly relevant criticism of a film, especially when the focus of these films are the monsters. Ebirah looks fine, I guess. But I'm actually holding in laughter every time I see these guys "cowering in fear" at the Cookie Monster suit.

Terasawa wrote:Also you've assumed wrong. The only sequence where Godzilla is portrayed heroically is when he saves Daiyo from the Giant Condor and then admires her. That's almost certainly a direct carry over from the film's origins as a King Kong vehicle. Otherwise Godzilla is feared by pretty much everyone, even Daiyo in that very same sequence. If that's not enough for you, consider the reactions of the male characters: they cower in terror and so Godzilla won't see them. Only at the end do the same characters try to get Godzilla to leave the island before it 'splodes. Ichino also states his belief that Godzilla won't destroy the world. This is a reflection of the character's growth over the last two films in which, when acting on his own, Godzilla in fact doesn't try to destroy the world. Aside from occasional talks with Mothra, dancing, and Young Guy impressions, Godzilla's characterization from 1964-1968 isn't too different from his characterization in the later Heisei films.

There's been a discussion about that in this very thread since your last post.


No. Godzilla in 1964-1968 is not much like his Heisei counterpart. The Showa Godzilla, even if reluctantly at first, becomes a sot of hero. Godzilla of the Heisei era is never a real hero. You sympathize with him, but he only really fights other monsters that threaten him directly, or his son in later films.

Terasawa wrote:It's also not literally just rock volleyball. (And while we're at it, the technique the FX artists used to composite a rock into frame is probably very much like the technique used to do this.) Godzilla blasts Ebirah a few times and the two fight in close proximity both under the surface and above it. Their rematch at the end of the film doesn't have a volleyball match either but of course the detractors of this film aren't going to mention that because it doesn't support their biases. Or maybe they just weren't watching (their loss).


Well, from what I recall, the actual fighting happens almost entirley underwater, so it's nearly impossible to see.

But then, I'm trying to criticize a Showa film on Toho Kingdom forums, so I assume my replies will fall on deaf ears.
Last edited by Gojirawars 03 on Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The time has come, finally, to put our technology to the final test."
-Dr. Asimov

Image
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8S9RqfL3pOgHr78nzbs-FQ

User avatar
Godzillian
Kwaidan
Posts: 5553
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:36 pm

Re: Talkback Thread #7: Ebirah, Horror of the Deep (1966)

Postby Godzillian » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:16 am

Gojirawars 03 wrote:But then, I'm trying to criticize a Showa film on Toho Kingdom forums, so I assume my replies will fall on deaf ears.

Or maybe if your criticism wasn't middle school tier and isn't summed up in the phrase "when Godzilla?" people would take you seriously
Image

MorgansTShirt
Yojimbo
Posts: 57
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:17 am

Re: Talkback Thread #7: Ebirah, Horror of the Deep (1966)

Postby MorgansTShirt » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:32 am

Gojirawars 03 wrote:But then, I'm trying to criticize a Showa film on Toho Kingdom forums, so I assume my replies will fall on deaf ears.


The problem isn't that you're criticizing a movie; the problem is you're kinda sorta bad at criticizing a movie. The majority of your points are opinionated issues over the most minor, shallow details that have little to do with the quality of the film, and you don't really expound any of those points either.

You say Godzilla vs King Ghidorah has an "interesting plot and characters", but that's pretty much just your vaguely worded opinion. You state it as thought it were an undeniable fact, so am I an aberration of nature for finding that film kinda boring, even if I do appreciate its strong points? You say Godzilla's appearance in GvKG was "worth the wait", and yet I found Godzilla's appearance in Ebirah to be worth the wait as well. I thought it had good, simple buildup.

And while the appearance of monsters is a legitimate criticism, it's hardly the major driving point of the film itself. This movie isn't exactly about the monsters; it's about the people and their relationship with the monsters and how they use them. It's not like this movie's lead actor is Godzilla; it's not like this movie is about Godzilla's daily existence and struggles. It's about a group of heroes and their plan to escape an island and free its prisoners, using the monsters at hand to their advantage. Godzilla is only a star in that everyone recognizes him and wants to see him in action, and for plenty of people around here, what he does in this movie is satisfying.

Also, the way you try to simplify and exaggerate the movie doesn't help your case. You say the movie is about "a bunch of guys stuck on an island while a puppet claw shows up to smash a toy boat every 25 minutes or so", and yet I can easily do that to any of your favorite movies as well. I could say "GvKG is about some poorly acted white guys from the future who want to replace Godzilla with a bunch of furbies", and unfairly put it down in an argument.

Ebirah isn't even one of my favorite Godzilla films, btw. It's one I can enjoy but also live without. I just like to analyze most things critically, deeply, and fairly.
Last edited by MorgansTShirt on Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:47 am, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
Terasawa
G-Grasper
Posts: 1160
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:06 am

Re: Talkback Thread #7: Ebirah, Horror of the Deep (1966)

Postby Terasawa » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:41 am

MorgansTShirt got his comment in before me and we cover a lot of the same ground in our responses... but I spent some time typing this up so I'm going to post it anyway. I hope it's clear that I'm not trying to gang up on Gojirawars 03, this is just how the timing of these posts worked out. In regards to MorgansTShirt, he really states the same things I'm trying to say much more articulately. If you have to respond to one post I hope it's his.

Gojirawars 03 wrote:Yes, it technically takes Godzilla around an hour to show up in GvKG, but at least in that film , when he shows up, it feels worth the wait. Not to mention we're watching actually interesting plot and characters in the meantime while the movie builds up his arrival. Plus we get stuff like the Godzillasaurus attack on Lagos or King Ghidorah's rampage to tide us over in terms of monster action. What do we get in EHotD? A bunch of guys stuck on an island while a puppet claw shows up to smash a toy boat every 25 minutes or so.


OK, so you don't think anything that happens in the first ~50 minutes of the movie is engaging. You aren't caught up in the frequent chases and the sneaking around the villains' base. Why aren't the characters or plot in this film interesting?

You keep throwing out comments like "puppet claw," "toy boat," and "Cookie Monster suit" to show your disdain for this movie. Are you aware that anyone can find similar examples in the movies you like? That puppet claw isn't too different in execution from the Godzillasaurus prop foot or tail that's haphazardly composited into shots of actors laying down on a beach. The model tanks that G-Force sends at Godzilla in Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II aren't exactly photo-realistic either.

Also, disliking the design of kaiju is a perfectly relevant criticism of a film, especially when the focus of these films are the monsters. Ebirah looks fine, I guess. But I'm actually holding in laughter every time I see these guys "cowering in fear" at the Cookie Monster suit.


Yeah that's fair. Godzilla is the star of the film and his appearance is a product of Toho's special effects staff. An extreme hypothetical comparison would be like a Bond film in which the costumers only gave Daniel Craig a ratty t-shirt or the makeup crew didn't touch up any noticeable blemishes on his face. But at least Godzilla is still Godzilla here. I'm sorry for any fans that can't get past what the monsters look like. For example, King Kong vs. Godzilla is a fun film despite the all-time worst version of Kong. I think the Mire-Goji costume is embarrassingly bad in a lot of shots in Godzilla 2000 but I don't let that draw me out of the movie. "Godzilla looks weird" is a relevant criticism, I'll give you that, but it's not the only one.

No. Godzilla in 1964-1968 is not much like his Heisei counterpart. The Showa Godzilla, even if reluctantly at first, becomes a sot of hero. Godzilla of the Heisei era is never a real hero. You sympathize with him, but he only really fights other monsters that threaten him directly, or his son in later films.


Where else does Godzilla act especially heroically from 1964-68? Off the top of my head I can think of two: teaming up with Mothra and Rodan to fight Ghidrah, as well as the sequence I mentioned from this film. How are his fights against Ghidrah in Monster Zero all that different from the Heisei Godzilla who only fights monsters that "threaten him directly"? What about in this film, where Godzilla rises from hibernation and spends the last 35 minutes of the film fighting Ebirah, the Red Bamboo, and the adult Mothra in self defense? What about in Son of Godzilla where all three monster fights involve Godzilla protecting Minya? Or in DAM, where Godzilla is contained at Monsterland (not exactly a response to a hero, is it?) and only fights of his own free will at the end of the film against the Kilaak base and the Fire Dragon -- two elements of the same threat that had previously placed him under their control and had just sent Ghidrah to fight him and the other monsters.

I also provided examples in this film in which the characters (both good and bad) react in total fear to Godzilla. Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla and Godzilla vs. Destoroyah notably have characters admiring Godzilla (even crying at his death in the latter!) which isn't too different from the characters trying to tell Godzilla to escape Letchi Island at the end of this movie. Like it or not, the late '60s Godzilla was something of an anti-hero too. He was just given more humorous pop culture references than the '90s version of the character.

Well, from what I recall, the actual fighting happens almost entirley underwater, so it's nearly impossible to see.


How are you watching the movie? It's not "nearly impossible to see" if you watch the Sony/Kraken releases. It's no more obscure than Godzilla and Battra's underwater battle in Godzilla vs. Mothra. In fact, in that film, that fight is more than nearly impossible to see because of the way it's edited and especially because of those damn bubbles.

But then, I'm trying to criticize a Showa film on Toho Kingdom forums, so I assume my replies will fall on deaf ears.


No one is telling you you have to like this movie any more than any other Godzilla movie. But you come in here with the statement that it's "definitely not good" and when you're asked to elaborate on it you choose to criticize stuff like the Godzilla costume and a single monster fight (which you recalled incorrectly anyway). It's not that your critique is falling on deaf ears because we're all too high on Showa movies, it's that no one who's responded to you thinks you've offered any solid arguments as to why this movie is "definitely not good." As MorgansTShirt said the other day:

MorgansTShirt wrote:I don't understand how your points make this movie "not good." It sounds more like there are some minor details you dislike, which is different from saying it's not a good movie.
Last edited by Terasawa on Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Ivo-goji
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2577
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:54 am

Re: Talkback Thread #7: Ebirah, Horror of the Deep (1966)

Postby Ivo-goji » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:00 pm

Minor correction, Godzilla was actually under human mind control at the end of DAM.

But yes, Showa Godzilla didn't become a really proactive hero until Godzilla vs Hedorah, before then he mostly fights other kaiju out of self-interest much like Heisei Godzilla.
Resized Image

Kaiju-King42 wrote:Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

User avatar
Terasawa
G-Grasper
Posts: 1160
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:06 am

Re: Talkback Thread #7: Ebirah, Horror of the Deep (1966)

Postby Terasawa » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:22 pm

Ivo-goji wrote:Minor correction, Godzilla was actually under human mind control at the end of DAM.


I was actually referring to Godzilla's attack on the underground base which happens after the Fire Dragon destroys the human control device on Monsterland. Katsuro says something like "The monsters don't need the control device, they know their natural enemy."

But yes, Showa Godzilla didn't become a really proactive hero until Godzilla vs Hedorah, before then he mostly fights other kaiju out of self-interest much like Heisei Godzilla.


Even Ichiro, the biggest Godzilla fanboy in 1969 Japan, is afraid of him at the end of his dream in Godzilla's Revenge. Godzilla wasn't directly against mankind in the late '60s (only when under alien influence or in the case of this film where he's first attacked by the Red Bamboo) but he was still very much feared. DAM is usually placed at the end of the Showa timeline but its treatment of the monsters is obviously more rooted in the late '60s approach than what we saw later. The monsters are caged in DAM because they'd caused frequent destruction and mankind couldn't trust them. Putting them on Monsterland allowed them to study them but also to keep them from rampaging, either willfully or accidentally, like if Godzilla created some collateral damage while trying to fight another monster.

User avatar
Ivo-goji
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2577
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:54 am

Re: Talkback Thread #7: Ebirah, Horror of the Deep (1966)

Postby Ivo-goji » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:29 pm

Terasawa wrote:
I was actually referring to Godzilla's attack on the underground base which happens after the Fire Dragon destroys the human control device on Monsterland. Katsuro says something like "The monsters don't need the control device, they know their natural enemy."

Herp. Completely forgot about that.

DAM is usually placed at the end of the Showa timeline but its treatment of the monsters is obviously more rooted in the late '60s approach than what we saw later.

The focus on the aliens controlling the kaiju in DAM conveniently makes Godzilla's less hostile personality at the end of the Showa series non-problematic. Humanity of course would be inclined to exercise maximum caution with every kaiju and try to contain Godzilla regardless of his temperament, as you say.
Last edited by Ivo-goji on Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Resized Image

Kaiju-King42 wrote:Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

User avatar
Terasawa
G-Grasper
Posts: 1160
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:06 am

Re: Talkback Thread #7: Ebirah, Horror of the Deep (1966)

Postby Terasawa » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:44 pm

Ivo-goji wrote:
Terasawa wrote:DAM is usually placed at the end of the Showa timeline but its treatment of the monsters is obviously more rooted in the late '60s approach than what we saw later.

The focus on the aliens controlling the kaiju in DAM conveniently makes Godzilla's less hostile personality at the end of the Showa series non-problematic. Humanity of course would be inclined to exercise maximum caution with every kaiju and try to contain Godzilla regardless of his temperament, as you say.


See, I don't think it really fits with the characterization of the '70s Godzilla. In vs. Megalon at least no one cares that this potentially destructive creature should show up in Japan. In fact, his appearance in Japan is part of an SDF operation. Then flash to the late '90s and the same creature and his son are effectively imprisoned by the UN. Of course we don't know what happened between 1975 and 1999 and I don't care to make up any events to make it all fit. It's just another quirk of having DAM set in the future and the decision to not let the next six films be influenced by those developments. In my opinion that's all the more reason to watch the Showa films in their release order, but that's a discussion for another day. ;) We both agree that the '60s Godzilla was not the overtly heroic version introduced in the '70s.

User avatar
Mr_Goji_and_Watch
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2330
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:34 pm
Location: le kinoplex locale
Contact:

Re: Talkback Thread #7: Ebirah, Horror of the Deep (1966)

Postby Mr_Goji_and_Watch » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:30 pm

Gojirawars 03 wrote:.
But then, I'm trying to criticize a Showa film on Toho Kingdom forums, so I assume my replies will fall on deaf ears.


Why do you throw this out as a shield to preemptively dismiss any contradictory opinions instead of crtiscising elements of the films form and content? Try posting more than surface level complaints that ultimately have no real bearing on the visual storytelling before you assume the dreaded Showa elitists are gonna ignore you on the premise of disliking a showa movie.
Last edited by Mr_Goji_and_Watch on Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)

on 12-31-2017, Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:Nobody in the West can do the Oxygen Destroyer justice, especially not for some new Godzilla popcorn flick.


Return to “Showa Series (1930's-1970's)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests