Talkback Thread #7: Ebirah, Horror of the Deep (1966)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Re: Talkback Thread #7: Ebirah, Horror of the Deep (1966)

Postby Grievous » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:36 am

Godzillian wrote:I'll agree on the 67 water shots but I don't think the 68 suit is looking worse than the water damaged 65

Fair call...Fair call.
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

MechaGoji Bro7503
E.S.P.Spy

Postby MechaGoji Bro7503 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:05 pm

I love the pacing of this one, it's so action packed yet it's not too fast or too slow.
Having the Infant Islanders (ala Kumi Mizuno) be part of the main cast was a great choice, and this might be one of my favorite Takarada performances; him being a theif was a great idea. The whole cast feels organic together, and after a rewatch I'm fine with how the film ended up. It being switched to a Godzilla film rather than a King Kong film isn't bad thing at all, in fact I'm happier with how KKE turned out.
Godzilla's entrance is fantastic, the build up to him is great. Mothra herself isn't all that engaging, but it's forgiven due to her appearing so late with little screentime, as it works for the story. Man, I really overlooked Ebirah. I would love to see him recieve a proper return, as long as he doesn't get massacred by mutants.......

The characters aren't that developed, but they feel alive and react to everything naturally. I geninouly see most of the Showa films as really great films, but I would've loved to see what might've happened had they had longer production schedules. I give the film a 7/10.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

Dv-218 wrote:This is so sad, Alexa play "Bio-Wars".

Dr. Professor wrote:If I had a dollar for every "SAVE MOTHRA" joke, I'd be able to buy Legendary Pictures, renew the license for Godzilla, acquire the rights to the rest of the Toho monsters, and make a Godzilla film that totally bombs without even putting a dent in my bank account.

MorgansTShirt
Yojimbo

Postby MorgansTShirt » Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:54 pm

Uh, I wasn't sure where else to post this, but found this amazing colorized pic of Kumi Mizuno in her role as Dayo (daiyo?).

https://mobile.twitter.com/timetunnel3/ ... 52?lang=en

Ben Shapiro
Interpol Agent

Postby Ben Shapiro » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:50 am

Ah yes, Daiyo’s classic sprite sheet
Facts don't care about your feelings

Gojirawars 03
Yin-Yang Master

Postby Gojirawars 03 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:16 am

This one is inoffensive to me. It's not really bad, but its definitely not good...
It's just kinda there...
"The time has come, finally, to put our technology to the final test."
-Dr. Asimov

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8S9RqfL3pOgHr78nzbs-FQ

Terasawa
G-Grasper

Postby Terasawa » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:04 am

It’s “just kinda there” in regards to its place in the Godzilla chronology. Nothing happens in this movie that affects later films and it doesn’t really draw on events from earlier entries either. But that’s hardly a knock against it.

Ben Shapiro
Interpol Agent

Postby Ben Shapiro » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:30 am

Terasawa wrote:It’s “just kinda there” in regards to its place in the Godzilla chronology. Nothing happens in this movie that affects later films and it doesn’t really draw on events from earlier entries either. But that’s hardly a knock against it.

Agreed, I find it to be one of the more entertaining entrees in the series.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Mr_Goji_and_Watch » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:41 pm

Gojirawars 03 wrote:This one is inoffensive to me. It's not really bad, but its definitely not good...
It's just kinda there...

What makes it "definitely not good"
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)

on 12-31-2017, Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:Nobody in the West can do the Oxygen Destroyer justice, especially not for some new Godzilla popcorn flick.

eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby eabaker » Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:27 pm

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:
Gojirawars 03 wrote:This one is inoffensive to me. It's not really bad, but its definitely not good...
It's just kinda there...

Yeah, gotta say, while I wouldn't consider it a standout of the series, I'd call it a competently told, engaging story, with some neat production design elements, a likable cast, and a decent musical score. Not a home run, but fully up to the baseline standards of "good."
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Terasawa
G-Grasper

Postby Terasawa » Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:47 pm

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:
It's just kinda there...

No beam locks.

Ben Shapiro
Interpol Agent

Postby Ben Shapiro » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:13 pm

Terasawa wrote:
Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:
It's just kinda there...

No beam locks.

Lol this is epic.

Maybe if they ever remake Ebirah, Horror Of The Deep, they’ll throw in a beam clash between Ebirah and Godzilla if we’re lucky.
Last edited by Ben Shapiro on Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ivo-goji
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Ivo-goji » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:52 pm

Terasawa wrote:It’s “just kinda there” in regards to its place in the Godzilla chronology. Nothing happens in this movie that affects later films and it doesn’t really draw on events from earlier entries either.

It's positively bizarre when people say things like that about any Godzilla film, but it makes especially little sense here where the turning point between Godzilla's status as feared sometimes-villain-sometimes-defender and his later more actively heroic persona took place.

Like imagine if this movie didn't exist and the series leapt immediately into Godzilla the Sympathetic Single Dad right off the heels of humanity trying to exile him into outer space forever in Monster Zero.
Resized Image

Kaiju-King42 wrote:Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

Terasawa
G-Grasper

Postby Terasawa » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:02 pm

Ivo-goji wrote:
Terasawa wrote:It’s “just kinda there” in regards to its place in the Godzilla chronology. Nothing happens in this movie that affects later films and it doesn’t really draw on events from earlier entries either.

It's positively bizarre when people say things like that about any Godzilla film, but it makes especially little sense here where the turning point between Godzilla's status as feared sometimes-villain-sometimes-defender and his later more actively heroic persona took place.

Like imagine if this movie didn't exist and the series leapt immediately into Godzilla the Sympathetic Single Dad right off the heels of humanity trying to exile him into outer space forever in Monster Zero.

Great point, I hadn’t even considered that. It’s definitely a crucial film for Godzilla’s development.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Zarm » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:59 pm

And what of the Giant Condor? The world would be a poorer place without him. We have EHotD to thank for him, if nothing else.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:

Winner of the last-ever(?) TK Fantasy Match tournament.

#ProLife

The Zone Fighter campaign is funded and complete, with translations in progress! PM me if you want to be part of the Facebook updates group.

Maranatha!

eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby eabaker » Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:34 pm

Zarm wrote:And what of the Giant Condor? The world would be a poorer place without him. We have EHotD to thank for him, if nothing else.

As such, this movie is extremely important for its role as a prequel to Godzilla's Revenge.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Dr. Professor
EDF Soldier

Postby Dr. Professor » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:17 pm

Zarm wrote:And what of the Giant Condor? The world would be a poorer place without him. We have EHotD to thank for him, if nothing else.

You make the most sense out of anyone around here. My life would be nothing without the Giant Condor.
goji89 wrote: :shock: ...Sweet Yeet

Resized Image

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Zarm » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:06 am

eabaker wrote:

As such, this movie is extremely important for its role as a prequel to Godzilla's Revenge.

:lol:

You know, it's said as a joke, but realistically, without the jet attack, Ebirah battles, and Giant Condor scene, I don't think they would have had enough Jungle Island footage to make Godzilla's Revenge feasible. They either would have had to change up the setting to a more generic countryside and basically just had this a 'greatest hits of King Ghidorah' movie, or make a different, more expensive movie that didn't rely much on stock footage. And if they hadn't made Godzilla's Revenge for a cheaper amount and found it to be successful, who knows if we would have gotten any of the following films.

So an argument could be made that without this movie, we wouldn't have had anything past Destroy All Monsters, because Toho might not have been convinced that they could make things profitably enough. And without Mechagodzilla, we lose a fair amount out of the Heisei, Millennium, and Anime eras as well.

Is that reaching? Absolutely! :) But, without this movie, there is the potential for an unpredictable ripple effect throughout the rest of the post-Destroy All Monsters franchise, up to and including the scenario described here.
Last edited by Zarm on Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:

Winner of the last-ever(?) TK Fantasy Match tournament.

#ProLife

The Zone Fighter campaign is funded and complete, with translations in progress! PM me if you want to be part of the Facebook updates group.

Maranatha!

LSD Jellyfish
E.S.P.Spy

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:27 pm

I am inclined to believe without EHOTD, SOG would probably be drastically different. I can’t confirm what I’m about to say, but I garuntee it being on an island, made SOG a lot more similar. The island duology sortve also created a lot of great fodder Kaiju, Ebirah, Kamaucuras, and Kumonga, so it’s all good.

I also never really thought of EHOTD being the film that really develops Godzilla as a character. The human protagonists are afraid of him, and I believe that there’s even a reference to the damage he caused in past movies, but even by the end they want Godzilla to survive the explosion because they used him as a tool to possibly overthrow a bigger threat.

Also Red Bamboo is a criminally underrated/uniquee part of the franchise that should be revisited.
Then, everything changed when the Giant Condor became the Giant Eagle.

Freebleeper
Ronin

Postby Freebleeper » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:56 pm

I found this one quite significant as it officially would make Godzilla a hero as yes in Ghidrah, the three headed monster he did help the human race against Ghidrah but still immediately the next film he's under alien control to wreck havoc and just seeing the human characters in Ebriah, Horror of the Deep encouraging him to leave the island before the atomic bomb destroys and than are happy he did made it pretty much makes him an official hero in the series now. :D :) ;)

Kaiju-King42
Kwaidan

Postby Kaiju-King42 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:42 pm

Freebleeper wrote:I found this one quite significant as it officially would make Godzilla a hero as yes in Ghidrah, the three headed monster he did help the human race against Ghidrah but still immediately the next film he's under alien control to wreck havoc and just seeing the human characters in Ebriah, Horror of the Deep encouraging him to leave the island before the atomic bomb destroys and than are happy he did made it pretty much makes him an official hero in the series now. :D :) ;)

Jesus I thought this was Eabaker for a moment thanks to that avatar. I was wondering why he was suddenly pulling out the emojis.
Godzillian wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:What is up with the American trope of hide the monster?

Jaws happened

ernesth100 wrote:
Ryguy wrote:When the new director is announced, I guarantee this fanbase will be torn through the middle...

We're always split down the middle. TK is like a giant buttcrack.

Anno wrote:never forget tadpole :godzilla:

Return to “Showa Series (1930's-1970's)”