Talkback Thread #7: Ebirah, Horror of the Deep (1966)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
User avatar
MechaGoji Bro7503
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 5320
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:02 pm
Location: Black Hole Planet 3
Contact:

Re: Talkback Thread #7: Ebirah, Horror of the Deep (1966)

Postby MechaGoji Bro7503 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:52 am

LockBite wrote:A sucky movie that none of us want to dislike. It has the classic Showa look and vibe, but it's also just ill-conceived and boring. Its best moment is definitely the phony yellow liquid payoff, and even that could've been hidden from the viewer for a nice surprise.

Not everyone thinks its a "sucky movie". I enjoy this one alot- but thats your opinion and I respect that.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

Dv-218 wrote:This is so sad, Alexa play "Bio-Wars".

Dr. Professor wrote:If I had a dollar for every "SAVE MOTHRA" joke, I'd be able to buy Legendary Pictures, renew the license for Godzilla, acquire the rights to the rest of the Toho monsters, and make a Godzilla film that totally bombs without even putting a dent in my bank account.

User avatar
HeiseiGodzilla117
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 4921
Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:20 pm

Re: Talkback Thread #7: Ebirah, Horror of the Deep (1966)

Postby HeiseiGodzilla117 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:08 pm

szmigiel wrote:Godzilla's behavior in the film is odd and out of place, at least when I view it.


I don't think so. It fits the ongoing change in the character of Godzilla in the Showa films. In fact, the end with the humans rooting for him to get off the island perfectly sets up his sympathetic side in Son of Godzilla and eventually his superhero-like behavior in Godzilla vs Hedorah and subsequent movies.

User avatar
Grievous
Terminated
Terminated
Posts: 1564
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:27 pm

Re: Talkback Thread #7: Ebirah, Horror of the Deep (1966)

Postby Grievous » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:22 pm

This one is just a lot of fun...

Was it originally a Kong film? It doesn't matter
because I still enjoy it for what it is.

It was a major shift for the series & took Godzilla
away from smashing cities & had him engaging in
combat with Ebirah, Mothra, Ookondoru & the Red
Bamboo as a plucky band of shipwreck survivors
try to make it off the Island alive while freeing the
captives from the nearby Infant Island.

I will admit this one gets a spin in my Blu-ray player
at least once a year...and speaking of which...I may
watch this one on Christmas day.

:thumbsup:
Image
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

User avatar
JAGzilla
Kwaidan
Posts: 6436
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:45 pm
Location: Georgia

Re: Talkback Thread #7: Ebirah, Horror of the Deep (1966)

Postby JAGzilla » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:05 am

I really like that it was originally going to be a Kong film. That gives it a different feel, with Godzilla displaying Kong-like behavior and fighting a pointless, out-of-nowhere monster in The Giant Condor. It's unique, you know?

User avatar
Maritonic
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5559
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:26 am
Location: UberRichNewYork

Re: Talkback Thread #7: Ebirah, Horror of the Deep (1966)

Postby Maritonic » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:06 am

JAGzilla wrote:I really like that it was originally going to be a Kong film. That gives it a different feel, with Godzilla displaying Kong-like behavior and fighting a pointless, out-of-nowhere monster in The Giant Condor. It's unique, you know?


Once you know it was supposed to be a Kong film, everything makes a lot more sense. For me, at least.
Resized Image

All Hope Is Gone.

goji89 wrote:So.......are we gonna Kinkshame the skreeonking birds or what?

User avatar
Grievous
Terminated
Terminated
Posts: 1564
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:27 pm

Re: Talkback Thread #7: Ebirah, Horror of the Deep (1966)

Postby Grievous » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:30 am

JAGzilla wrote:I really like that it was originally going to be a Kong film. That gives it a different feel, with Godzilla displaying Kong-like behavior and fighting a pointless, out-of-nowhere monster in The Giant Condor. It's unique, you know?

And being unique is very important in the kaiju genre.

Maritonic wrote:Once you know it was supposed to be a Kong film, everything makes a lot more sense. For me, at least.

Fair call...
Image
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

User avatar
Dr. Professor
EDF Soldier
Posts: 3503
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:37 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: Talkback Thread #7: Ebirah, Horror of the Deep (1966)

Postby Dr. Professor » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:50 pm

God I love this movie. I only watched it for the first time sometime last year I believe, and before that I never thought it would find its way onto my top ten list, but here we are. It's just so much fun.
goji89 wrote: :shock: ...Sweet Yeet

Resized Image

User avatar
Grievous
Terminated
Terminated
Posts: 1564
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:27 pm

Re: Talkback Thread #7: Ebirah, Horror of the Deep (1966)

Postby Grievous » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:53 pm

Dr. Professor wrote:God I love this movie. I only watched it for the first time sometime last year I believe, and before that I never thought it would find its way onto my top ten list, but here we are. It's just so much fun.

Hear Hear!
Image
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

User avatar
Zarm
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 4769
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:21 pm
Location: USA, East Coast
Contact:

Re: Talkback Thread #7: Ebirah, Horror of the Deep (1966)

Postby Zarm » Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:44 pm

Agreed!
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:


Winner of the last-ever(?) TK Fantasy Match tournament.

#ProLife

The Zone Fighter campaign is funded and complete, with translations in progress! PM me if you want to be part of the Facebook updates group.

Maranatha!

User avatar
kamilleblu
G-Grasper
Posts: 1354
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:46 pm

Re: Talkback Thread #7: Ebirah, Horror of the Deep (1966)

Postby kamilleblu » Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:41 pm

My biggest problems with Ebirah:
1)The Giant Condor fight is a completely disposable sequence that makes the film an easy target to pick on due to the shoddiness of the puppet and questionable filming.
2)The amount of time it takes to wake up Mothra is a little hard to believe. I could see if she had to hatch or finish transitioning to her adult form. But she just decides to wake up when it's convenient for the plot.

User avatar
Freebleeper
Ronin
Posts: 35
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:12 am

Re: Talkback Thread #7: Ebirah, Horror of the Deep (1966)

Postby Freebleeper » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:18 am

This one was a true childhood memory with the music, the human enemies and the fact that occurs mostly on an island (as did Son of Godzilla) makes it more a different tone than seeing the Kaijus destroy a Japanese metropolitan city all the time.

User avatar
Major sssspielberg!
Samurai
Posts: 135
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:48 am

Re: Talkback Thread #7: Ebirah, Horror of the Deep (1966)

Postby Major sssspielberg! » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:03 pm

Watching this one right now! Love the stakes and cast.
PitchBlackProgress wrote:Minya’s got class, dude one-shot Ghidorah and got all that MonsterLand p****y afterwards.


:xilien: :xilien: :xilien: Join me in.... Escape! :xilien: :xilien: :xilien:

User avatar
Terasawa
G-Grasper
Posts: 1172
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:06 am

Re: Talkback Thread #7: Ebirah, Horror of the Deep (1966)

Postby Terasawa » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:44 pm

kamilleblu wrote:The Giant Condor fight is a completely disposable sequence that makes the film an easy target to pick on due to the shoddiness of the puppet and questionable filming.


I think they did a decent job obscuring the puppets' problems with the aggressive editing. It also makes it seem credibly fast, too fast for Godzilla to fight until it flies far enough away for him to train his atomic breath on it. It's pretty strange though that a giant bird just shows up without any warning. Maybe it would have been better to have it introduced earlier in the film as another of the Red Bamboo's "guard dogs." Or maybe they should have just extended Godzilla's battle with the Red Bamboo jet squadron.

I love this movie but the special effects sequences are some of the weakest in any Godzilla film in conception and execution. The best SFX scene is probably early on when Ebirah wrecks the Yahlen. The monster fights are among the first to be really silly (and especially unengaging except for the monsters acting so human), although Godzilla's second fight with Ebirah is a decent sequence. Godzilla's rampage in the Red Bamboo base is pretty all-around awful. Anyway, I guess my point is that the film is still pretty successful as an escapist adventure despite the disappointing special effects in a special effects movie.

User avatar
Dr. Professor
EDF Soldier
Posts: 3503
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:37 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: Talkback Thread #7: Ebirah, Horror of the Deep (1966)

Postby Dr. Professor » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:12 pm

Terasawa wrote:
kamilleblu wrote:The Giant Condor fight is a completely disposable sequence that makes the film an easy target to pick on due to the shoddiness of the puppet and questionable filming.


I think they did a decent job obscuring the puppets' problems with the aggressive editing. It also makes it seem credibly fast, too fast for Godzilla to fight until it flies far enough away for him to train his atomic breath on it. It's pretty strange though that a giant bird just shows up without any warning. Maybe it would have been better to have it introduced earlier in the film as another of the Red Bamboo's "guard dogs." Or maybe they should have just extended Godzilla's battle with the Red Bamboo jet squadron.

I love this movie but the special effects sequences are some of the weakest in any Godzilla film in conception and execution. The best SFX scene is probably early on when Ebirah wrecks the Yahlen. The monster fights are among the first to be really silly (and especially unengaging except for the monsters acting so human), although Godzilla's second fight with Ebirah is a decent sequence. Godzilla's rampage in the Red Bamboo base is pretty all-around awful. Anyway, I guess my point is that the film is still pretty successful as an escapist adventure despite the disappointing special effects in a special effects movie.

My thoughts exactly. It's in my top ten, but that's almost entirely due to the great cast of characters.
goji89 wrote: :shock: ...Sweet Yeet

Resized Image

User avatar
JAGzilla
Kwaidan
Posts: 6436
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:45 pm
Location: Georgia

Re: Talkback Thread #7: Ebirah, Horror of the Deep (1966)

Postby JAGzilla » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:58 am

Terasawa wrote:I love this movie but the special effects sequences are some of the weakest in any Godzilla film in conception and execution. The best SFX scene is probably early on when Ebirah wrecks the Yahlen.



My first thought when reading that first sentence was "But what about-", and then you mentioned the boat attack scene. :lol: It's been a while since I've watched this one, but I definitely remember that being one of the real standout moments. It wasn't often that the Showa series was able to really successfully show the size of these monsters from a human standpoint, but this was one of those shining moments. Very well-done scene.

User avatar
Godzillian
Kwaidan
Posts: 5557
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:36 pm

Re: Talkback Thread #7: Ebirah, Horror of the Deep (1966)

Postby Godzillian » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:38 am

You literally see the Godzilla suits condition worsen as the film plays out. Surprised they wouldn't film all the water scenes last to try and keep the suit looking fresh
Image

User avatar
Grievous
Terminated
Terminated
Posts: 1564
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:27 pm

Re: Talkback Thread #7: Ebirah, Horror of the Deep (1966)

Postby Grievous » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:51 am

Godzillian wrote:You literally see the Godzilla suits condition worsen as the film plays out.

True...but at least its not as bad as the Godzilla suit in vs. Gigan.

It literally has pieces hanging off it...and the Son of Godzilla suit used
for the swimming scenes is horrendous.
Image
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

mikelcho
Interpol Agent
Posts: 408
Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:23 pm

Re: Talkback Thread #7: Ebirah, Horror of the Deep (1966)

Postby mikelcho » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:24 am

Freebleeper wrote:This one was a true childhood memory with the music, the human enemies and the fact that occurs mostly on an island (as did Son of Godzilla) makes it more a different tone than seeing the Kaijus destroy a Japanese metropolitan city all the time.
I agree. In fact, someone (I don't remember who, though) said about this film and Son of Godzilla "This is what Godzilla does when he's not destroying cities."

User avatar
Zarm
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 4769
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:21 pm
Location: USA, East Coast
Contact:

Re: Talkback Thread #7: Ebirah, Horror of the Deep (1966)

Postby Zarm » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:51 am

JAGzilla wrote:
Terasawa wrote:I love this movie but the special effects sequences are some of the weakest in any Godzilla film in conception and execution. The best SFX scene is probably early on when Ebirah wrecks the Yahlen.



My first thought when reading that first sentence was "But what about-", and then you mentioned the boat attack scene. :lol: It's been a while since I've watched this one, but I definitely remember that being one of the real standout moments. It wasn't often that the Showa series was able to really successfully show the size of these monsters from a human standpoint, but this was one of those shining moments. Very well-done scene.


I agree.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:


Winner of the last-ever(?) TK Fantasy Match tournament.

#ProLife

The Zone Fighter campaign is funded and complete, with translations in progress! PM me if you want to be part of the Facebook updates group.

Maranatha!

User avatar
Godzillian
Kwaidan
Posts: 5557
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:36 pm

Re: Talkback Thread #7: Ebirah, Horror of the Deep (1966)

Postby Godzillian » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:29 am

Grievous wrote:
Godzillian wrote:You literally see the Godzilla suits condition worsen as the film plays out.

True...but at least its not as bad as the Godzilla suit in vs. Gigan.

It literally has pieces hanging off it...and the Son of Godzilla suit used
for the swimming scenes is horrendous.

I'll agree on the 67 water shots but I don't think the 68 suit is looking worse than the water damaged 65
Image


Return to “Showa Series (1930's-1970's)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests