Talkback Thread #7: Ebirah, Horror of the Deep (1966)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Gothicserpent
Futurian

Re: Talkback Thread #7: Ebirah, Horror of the Deep (1966)

Postby Gothicserpent » Wed May 08, 2019 9:40 am

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
Gothicserpent wrote:Its an alright godzilla film that could have been better if a few changes were made.

Make the Ebirah fights longer and less choppy.

Have more human action. Show the heroes and the natives fighting against Red Bamboo.

And either beef Mothra's role or cut her out entirely.

I agree with the points on Ebirah and Mothra. The main issue I have with the Ebirah fight is how it keeps cutting back and forth to Mothra. The film suddenly becomes super cluttered and unsure what it wants the climax to be in its final moments.

However, in regards to the human protagonists fighting against the Red Bamboo I disagree. First the infant island natives are general portrayed as peaceful and it also wouldn’t make sense if they knew how to use guns or whatever. Second, a large part of the film is, and as the thief character directly states,”Let’s use our brains to defeat the Red Bamboo”. Which is true; throughout the film they repeatedly trick the Red Bamboo, during the cliffside scene, when they infiltrate the factory multiple times, the whole replacement yellow liquid etc... Third, it just wouldn’t make much sense if it suddenly became a more proactive action movie as the Red Bamboo is a military force and has loads of weapons, while the heroes have no military or action training to speak of. Them picking up weapons and firing directly wouldn’t make sense both physically and thematically.

Eh, that's fair about the human action. It makes sense now that you've explained it.

I forgot one big praise I have for this film. Godzilla's attack on the Red Bamboo base.

Ignore the TERRIBLE Godzilla suit, its a great destruction scene and easily the highlight of the movie. Seeing Godzilla curbstomp evil slavers is very cool and a great way of making him the guy to root for without being too blatant about it.
"HAY ANGUIRUS"
"WHADDA WANT?"
"SUMPTIN FUNNEH GOIN ON, YOU BETTAH CHECK!"
"OKAY"

GTU wrote:There are so many concept versions of Bagan they could give him his own toyline. That's why I'm banking on a Monsterarts sub-line called SH Baganarts.

eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby eabaker » Wed May 08, 2019 10:37 am

Gothicserpent wrote:Ignore the TERRIBLE Godzilla suit

I've always really liked DaisensoGoji. He's kind of cute, but still looks mean; not at all cloying, like say MegaroGoji.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Godzillian
Kwaidan

Postby Godzillian » Wed May 08, 2019 10:50 am

One of the big problems for me is a lack of tension in the battles. Godzilla is far more powerful than everything in the film. Sure he had a great fight with Ebirah but the tension of him being dragged underwater doesn't really hit home for me since he is a known sea creature

Gothicserpent
Futurian

Postby Gothicserpent » Wed May 08, 2019 11:23 am

Godzillian wrote:One of the big problems for me is a lack of tension in the battles. Godzilla is far more powerful than everything in the film. Sure he had a great fight with Ebirah but the tension of him being dragged underwater doesn't really hit home for me since he is a known sea creature

I disagree on the battles being great. I think they could have used Ebirah's aquatic nature more. After he drags Godzilla under, have him overwhelm him with superior swimming skills. Sorta like in Gamera vs Zigra.

There's nothing wrong with Godzilla fighting a weaker opponent as long as the fight is good. Just look at his fight against the Kamacuras. But I feel like the Ebirah fights could have been much more unique.
"HAY ANGUIRUS"
"WHADDA WANT?"
"SUMPTIN FUNNEH GOIN ON, YOU BETTAH CHECK!"
"OKAY"

GTU wrote:There are so many concept versions of Bagan they could give him his own toyline. That's why I'm banking on a Monsterarts sub-line called SH Baganarts.

UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby UltramanGoji » Thu May 23, 2019 12:02 pm

This is honestly one of my all-time favorites. I LOVE the human cast in this one, I like how each character stands out and each has at least one moment of the film to themselves. Nobody is really treated as a third/fourth/fifth wheel, everyone has a purpose and shines in their roles. This might be one of my favorite Akira Takarada roles, honestly maybe even surpassing Ogata in G54. He’s amazing as Yoshimira, he makes a great antihero and I love his resourcefulness when it comes to sneaking around Letchi Island. Akihiko Hirata and Jun Tazaki are also great to watch and the concept of the Red Bamboo is honestly really intriguing and I hope it gets revisited some day. Kumi Mizuno is pretty great here but her best role is probably still Namikawa or Sekiguchi from Matango.

I really like how the film treats Godzilla, he’s not necessarily a purely heroic figure and is seen more as a necessary evil to defeat the Red Bamboo. I like how everyone still manages to cheer for him at the end to escape the island’s destruction. I actually didn’t notice too many Kong similarities, despite that being a common criticism. The scene with Dayo isn’t really Kong-like because Godzilla doesn’t really seem infatuated with her so much as he is just curious about a human being so close to him. Even when he “saves” her from the Giant Condor, it’s portrayed more as a territorial thing more than anything.

Ebirah isn’t too bad of an opponent, even though the focus of the film isn’t really on him. I enjoyed the fights with Godzilla, the scenes with him attacking the escaped islanders, his design and the method of keeping him at bay was unique. I liked how he “turned” on the Red Bamboo at the end, it was a really clever sequence.

The music is also fantastic and this might be my favorite Masaru Sato score yet. I love the surf rock elements to it. The only score related critique I have is the track that plays during Godzilla’s assault on the jets seems a little too upbeat.

So yeah, definitely a top 10 film for me. I love it.

Ben Shapiro
Interpol Agent

Postby Ben Shapiro » Thu May 23, 2019 8:54 pm

^ Oooh I love the post above.

This too is one of my all time favorites, such an underrated entry in the series and it really deserves more praise than it gets.
Facts don't care about your feelings

edgaguirus
Kwaidan

Postby edgaguirus » Sat May 25, 2019 12:08 pm

One of my favorite as well.
Kaiju are just like people- giant, radioactive people.

Megalon went into a bar and saw Gigan. Megalon said, " Again? I thought you gave this up."
" What can I say," Gigan asked. " I'm hooked."

Freebleeper
Ronin

Postby Freebleeper » Thu May 30, 2019 1:11 pm

I completely agree with you UltramanGoji when talking about the role of Akria Takarada as he was superb and great all around the film.

Return to “Showa Series (1930's-1970's)”