Talkback Thread #7: Ebirah, Horror of the Deep (1966)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
MechaGoji Bro7503
E.S.P.Spy

Re: Talkback Thread #7: Ebirah, Horror of the Deep (1966)

Postby MechaGoji Bro7503 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:52 am

LockBite wrote:A sucky movie that none of us want to dislike. It has the classic Showa look and vibe, but it's also just ill-conceived and boring. Its best moment is definitely the phony yellow liquid payoff, and even that could've been hidden from the viewer for a nice surprise.

Not everyone thinks its a "sucky movie". I enjoy this one alot- but thats your opinion and I respect that.
The world is very sexy, it's part of my collapse.

"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"I dont piss on broken ego's.....I poop them out MechaGoji Bro Seven Thousand Five Hundred and Three or Seventy Five Zero Three choose...." - goji89 (12/20/2018) aka god

HeiseiGodzilla117
E.S.P.Spy

Postby HeiseiGodzilla117 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:08 pm

szmigiel wrote:Godzilla's behavior in the film is odd and out of place, at least when I view it.

I don't think so. It fits the ongoing change in the character of Godzilla in the Showa films. In fact, the end with the humans rooting for him to get off the island perfectly sets up his sympathetic side in Son of Godzilla and eventually his superhero-like behavior in Godzilla vs Hedorah and subsequent movies.

Grievous
G-Grasper

Postby Grievous » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:22 pm

This one is just a lot of fun...

Was it originally a Kong film? It doesn't matter
because I still enjoy it for what it is.

It was a major shift for the series & took Godzilla
away from smashing cities & had him engaging in
combat with Ebirah, Mothra, Ookondoru & the Red
Bamboo as a plucky band of shipwreck survivors
try to make it off the Island alive while freeing the
captives from the nearby Infant Island.

I will admit this one gets a spin in my Blu-ray player
at least once a year...and speaking of which...I may
watch this one on Christmas day.

:thumbsup:
Now that we're dead my dear...We can be together! Now that we're dead my dear...We can live forever!

JAGzilla
Kwaidan

Postby JAGzilla » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:05 am

I really like that it was originally going to be a Kong film. That gives it a different feel, with Godzilla displaying Kong-like behavior and fighting a pointless, out-of-nowhere monster in The Giant Condor. It's unique, you know?
"When you're serious about having fun, it's not much fun at all!" -Calvin

Maritonic
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Maritonic » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:06 am

JAGzilla wrote:I really like that it was originally going to be a Kong film. That gives it a different feel, with Godzilla displaying Kong-like behavior and fighting a pointless, out-of-nowhere monster in The Giant Condor. It's unique, you know?

Once you know it was supposed to be a Kong film, everything makes a lot more sense. For me, at least.
Resized Image

What doesn't kill me makes me Vicious

goji89 wrote:So.......are we gonna Kinkshame the skreeonking birds or what?

MandaSaurus wrote:I think a lot of you here don't exactly know what LOGIC actually means.

Grievous
G-Grasper

Postby Grievous » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:30 am

JAGzilla wrote:I really like that it was originally going to be a Kong film. That gives it a different feel, with Godzilla displaying Kong-like behavior and fighting a pointless, out-of-nowhere monster in The Giant Condor. It's unique, you know?

And being unique is very important in the kaiju genre.

Maritonic wrote:Once you know it was supposed to be a Kong film, everything makes a lot more sense. For me, at least.

Fair call...
Now that we're dead my dear...We can be together! Now that we're dead my dear...We can live forever!

Dr. Professor
EDF Soldier

Postby Dr. Professor » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:50 pm

God I love this movie. I only watched it for the first time sometime last year I believe, and before that I never thought it would find its way onto my top ten list, but here we are. It's just so much fun.
goji89 wrote:We're getting Picasso's up in this biitch.

Grievous
G-Grasper

Postby Grievous » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:53 pm

Dr. Professor wrote:God I love this movie. I only watched it for the first time sometime last year I believe, and before that I never thought it would find its way onto my top ten list, but here we are. It's just so much fun.

Hear Hear!

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Zarm » Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:44 pm

Agreed!
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:

The Zone Fighter campaign is funded and complete, with translations in progress! PM me if you want to be part of the Facebook updates group.

Maranatha!

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Postby kamilleblu » Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:41 pm

My biggest problems with Ebirah:
1)The Giant Condor fight is a completely disposable sequence that makes the film an easy target to pick on due to the shoddiness of the puppet and questionable filming.
2)The amount of time it takes to wake up Mothra is a little hard to believe. I could see if she had to hatch or finish transitioning to her adult form. But she just decides to wake up when it's convenient for the plot.

Freebleeper
Ronin

Postby Freebleeper » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:18 am

This one was a true childhood memory with the music, the human enemies and the fact that occurs mostly on an island (as did Son of Godzilla) makes it more a different tone than seeing the Kaijus destroy a Japanese metropolitan city all the time.

Return to “Showa Series (1930's-1970's)”