Talkback Thread #7: Ebirah, Horror of the Deep (1966)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
JAGzilla
Sazer

Re: Talkback Thread #7: Ebirah, Horror of the Deep (1966)

Post by JAGzilla »

I really like that it was originally going to be a Kong film. That gives it a different feel, with Godzilla displaying Kong-like behavior and fighting a pointless, out-of-nowhere monster in The Giant Condor. It's unique, you know?
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

JAGzilla wrote:I really like that it was originally going to be a Kong film. That gives it a different feel, with Godzilla displaying Kong-like behavior and fighting a pointless, out-of-nowhere monster in The Giant Condor. It's unique, you know?
Once you know it was supposed to be a Kong film, everything makes a lot more sense. For me, at least.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

JAGzilla wrote:I really like that it was originally going to be a Kong film. That gives it a different feel, with Godzilla displaying Kong-like behavior and fighting a pointless, out-of-nowhere monster in The Giant Condor. It's unique, you know?
And being unique is very important in the kaiju genre.
Maritonic wrote:Once you know it was supposed to be a Kong film, everything makes a lot more sense. For me, at least.
Fair call...
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

God I love this movie. I only watched it for the first time sometime last year I believe, and before that I never thought it would find its way onto my top ten list, but here we are. It's just so much fun.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

Dr. Professor wrote:God I love this movie. I only watched it for the first time sometime last year I believe, and before that I never thought it would find its way onto my top ten list, but here we are. It's just so much fun.
Hear Hear!

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Agreed!
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

My biggest problems with Ebirah:
1)The Giant Condor fight is a completely disposable sequence that makes the film an easy target to pick on due to the shoddiness of the puppet and questionable filming.
2)The amount of time it takes to wake up Mothra is a little hard to believe. I could see if she had to hatch or finish transitioning to her adult form. But she just decides to wake up when it's convenient for the plot.

Freebleeper
Yojimbo

Post by Freebleeper »

This one was a true childhood memory with the music, the human enemies and the fact that occurs mostly on an island (as did Son of Godzilla) makes it more a different tone than seeing the Kaijus destroy a Japanese metropolitan city all the time.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Watching this one right now! Love the stakes and cast.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

kamilleblu wrote:The Giant Condor fight is a completely disposable sequence that makes the film an easy target to pick on due to the shoddiness of the puppet and questionable filming.
I think they did a decent job obscuring the puppets' problems with the aggressive editing. It also makes it seem credibly fast, too fast for Godzilla to fight until it flies far enough away for him to train his atomic breath on it. It's pretty strange though that a giant bird just shows up without any warning. Maybe it would have been better to have it introduced earlier in the film as another of the Red Bamboo's "guard dogs." Or maybe they should have just extended Godzilla's battle with the Red Bamboo jet squadron.

I love this movie but the special effects sequences are some of the weakest in any Godzilla film in conception and execution. The best SFX scene is probably early on when Ebirah wrecks the Yahlen. The monster fights are among the first to be really silly (and especially unengaging except for the monsters acting so human), although Godzilla's second fight with Ebirah is a decent sequence. Godzilla's rampage in the Red Bamboo base is pretty all-around awful. Anyway, I guess my point is that the film is still pretty successful as an escapist adventure despite the disappointing special effects in a special effects movie.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

Terasawa wrote:
kamilleblu wrote:The Giant Condor fight is a completely disposable sequence that makes the film an easy target to pick on due to the shoddiness of the puppet and questionable filming.
I think they did a decent job obscuring the puppets' problems with the aggressive editing. It also makes it seem credibly fast, too fast for Godzilla to fight until it flies far enough away for him to train his atomic breath on it. It's pretty strange though that a giant bird just shows up without any warning. Maybe it would have been better to have it introduced earlier in the film as another of the Red Bamboo's "guard dogs." Or maybe they should have just extended Godzilla's battle with the Red Bamboo jet squadron.

I love this movie but the special effects sequences are some of the weakest in any Godzilla film in conception and execution. The best SFX scene is probably early on when Ebirah wrecks the Yahlen. The monster fights are among the first to be really silly (and especially unengaging except for the monsters acting so human), although Godzilla's second fight with Ebirah is a decent sequence. Godzilla's rampage in the Red Bamboo base is pretty all-around awful. Anyway, I guess my point is that the film is still pretty successful as an escapist adventure despite the disappointing special effects in a special effects movie.
My thoughts exactly. It's in my top ten, but that's almost entirely due to the great cast of characters.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Terasawa wrote: I love this movie but the special effects sequences are some of the weakest in any Godzilla film in conception and execution. The best SFX scene is probably early on when Ebirah wrecks the Yahlen.

My first thought when reading that first sentence was "But what about-", and then you mentioned the boat attack scene. :lol: It's been a while since I've watched this one, but I definitely remember that being one of the real standout moments. It wasn't often that the Showa series was able to really successfully show the size of these monsters from a human standpoint, but this was one of those shining moments. Very well-done scene.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

You literally see the Godzilla suits condition worsen as the film plays out. Surprised they wouldn't film all the water scenes last to try and keep the suit looking fresh

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

Godzillian wrote:You literally see the Godzilla suits condition worsen as the film plays out.
True...but at least its not as bad as the Godzilla suit in vs. Gigan.

It literally has pieces hanging off it...and the Son of Godzilla suit used
for the swimming scenes is horrendous.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Freebleeper wrote:This one was a true childhood memory with the music, the human enemies and the fact that occurs mostly on an island (as did Son of Godzilla) makes it more a different tone than seeing the Kaijus destroy a Japanese metropolitan city all the time.
I agree. In fact, someone (I don't remember who, though) said about this film and Son of Godzilla "This is what Godzilla does when he's not destroying cities."

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

JAGzilla wrote:
Terasawa wrote: I love this movie but the special effects sequences are some of the weakest in any Godzilla film in conception and execution. The best SFX scene is probably early on when Ebirah wrecks the Yahlen.

My first thought when reading that first sentence was "But what about-", and then you mentioned the boat attack scene. :lol: It's been a while since I've watched this one, but I definitely remember that being one of the real standout moments. It wasn't often that the Showa series was able to really successfully show the size of these monsters from a human standpoint, but this was one of those shining moments. Very well-done scene.
I agree.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Grievous wrote:
Godzillian wrote:You literally see the Godzilla suits condition worsen as the film plays out.
True...but at least its not as bad as the Godzilla suit in vs. Gigan.

It literally has pieces hanging off it...and the Son of Godzilla suit used
for the swimming scenes is horrendous.
I'll agree on the 67 water shots but I don't think the 68 suit is looking worse than the water damaged 65

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

Godzillian wrote:I'll agree on the 67 water shots but I don't think the 68 suit is looking worse than the water damaged 65
Fair call...Fair call.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

I love the pacing of this one, it's so action packed yet it's not too fast or too slow.
Having the Infant Islanders (ala Kumi Mizuno) be part of the main cast was a great choice, and this might be one of my favorite Takarada performances; him being a theif was a great idea. The whole cast feels organic together, and after a rewatch I'm fine with how the film ended up. It being switched to a Godzilla film rather than a King Kong film isn't bad thing at all, in fact I'm happier with how KKE turned out.
Godzilla's entrance is fantastic, the build up to him is great. Mothra herself isn't all that engaging, but it's forgiven due to her appearing so late with little screentime, as it works for the story. Man, I really overlooked Ebirah. I would love to see him recieve a proper return, as long as he doesn't get massacred by mutants.......

The characters aren't that developed, but they feel alive and react to everything naturally. I geninouly see most of the Showa films as really great films, but I would've loved to see what might've happened had they had longer production schedules. I give the film a 7/10.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

MorgansTShirt
Samurai

Post by MorgansTShirt »

Uh, I wasn't sure where else to post this, but found this amazing colorized pic of Kumi Mizuno in her role as Dayo (daiyo?).

https://mobile.twitter.com/timetunnel3/ ... 52?lang=en