Talkback Thread #6: Invasion of the Astro Monster (1965)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
The Octopus
JXSDF Technician

Re: Talkback Thread #6: Invasion of the Astro Monster (1965)

Postby The Octopus » Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:37 am

That cartoon on the top right. If that was in a western publication it would be considered racist.
Last edited by The Octopus on Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Keizer

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:34 am

Shhh! The Octopus wrote:That cartoon on the top right. If that was in a western publication it would be considered racist.

Sunday Boys
(Title of the magazine, or maybe Boy’s Sunday?)

Anyways, that character in the top right is Iyami from Osomatsu-kun .

He’s the one that does the original pose.

Iyami is a strange character, but he’s also based off of Tony Tani, a rather strange Japanese comedian/performer from the early 1950’s:

I don’t think the original image or character you posted is intended to be racist or anything. Japan just has a lot of incredibly stylized art, and since it’s “Japanese” I don’t think Japanese artists/audiences are thinking “hey that looks like a western caricature of a Japanese/Asian person. There is definitely still a lot of racist caricatures in Japanese media though...

You can see more from the magazine you posted here:
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:45 am, edited 3 times in total.
_JNavs_ wrote:The MV is like cheap imitation crabmeat, it tastes good, but it isn't real, while Shin is kino peak Japanese performance.

Rodan95 wrote:The Shobijin are sat on by a fatass explorer and killed. Mothra is pissed and destroys Japan.

LockBite
G-Force Personnel

Postby LockBite » Wed Dec 25, 2019 12:52 pm

Shhh! The Octopus wrote:That cartoon on the top right. If that was in a western publication it would be considered racist.

Holy poop, Osomatsu and Godzilla, together at last!

Gothicserpent
Gotengo Officer

Postby Gothicserpent » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:33 pm

I always thought it was weird that they didn't show Rodan flying out of the water as well. We can assume the one in DAM is the same Rodan, so he clearly survived. But its just a bit odd that he doesn't fly out as well.
"HAY ANGUIRUS"
"WHADDA WANT?"
"SUMPTIN FUNNEH GOIN ON, YOU BETTAH CHECK!"
"OKAY"

GTU wrote:There are so many concept versions of Bagan they could give him his own toyline. That's why I'm banking on a Monsterarts sub-line called SH Baganarts.

VoyagerGoji
Gotengo Officer

Postby VoyagerGoji » Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:05 pm

I believe that King Ghidorah looks better in this film than he did in GTTHM. I just wish they had him be more... gold. The longer necks look great though. I wish I could say the same for Godzilla and Rodan's designs.
TK's Resident Australian.

Jetty_Jags
Interpol Agent

Postby Jetty_Jags » Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:20 pm

Honestly this is one of my favorite showa films. I think everything just clicks. The design/aesthetic is sleek and exactly what I'm looking for in a 60s sci-fi movie, the whole cast has some great chemistry, especially Nick Adams with Akira Takerada as well as Kumi Mizuno, and as always has a kicking soundtrack.
He Jock it Made of Steel

edgaguirus
Xilien Halfling

Postby edgaguirus » Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:36 pm

The main theme is one of the best of the series.
Kaiju are just like people- giant, radioactive people.

Megalon went into a bar and saw Gigan. Megalon said, " Again? I thought you gave this up."
" What can I say," Gigan asked. " I'm hooked."

Terasawa
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Terasawa » Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:05 pm

I think the cue that opens the U.S. version is a better fit and sets a more appropriate mood.
Save All Dubs. Sub All Tohos.

Resized Image

eabaker

Postby eabaker » Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:23 pm

I prefer the Kaiju Daisenso March as the opening, largely because it juxtaposes so sharply with the tone/pace/style of the opening scenes. It gives a flavor of the action and energy to come later.

But, then, when don't I favor juxtaposition?
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Kaiju-King42
Xilien Halfling

Postby Kaiju-King42 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:14 pm

Terasawa wrote:I think the cue that opens the U.S. version is a better fit and sets a more appropriate mood.

I'll have to agree with this. Monster Zero may be one of the very few Godzilla films where I actually prefer the US cut.
JAGzilla wrote:Somebody skreeonking sig this. :lol:

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Postby Tamura » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:15 am

Jetty_Jags wrote:Honestly this is one of my favorite showa films. I think everything just clicks. The design/aesthetic is sleek and exactly what I'm looking for in a 60s sci-fi movie, the whole cast has some great chemistry, especially Nick Adams with Akira Takerada as well as Kumi Mizuno, and as always has a kicking soundtrack.

If you like this film for all those reasons you'll love The Killing Bottle.

Jetty_Jags
Interpol Agent

Postby Jetty_Jags » Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:03 pm

Tamura wrote:
Jetty_Jags wrote:Honestly this is one of my favorite showa films. I think everything just clicks. The design/aesthetic is sleek and exactly what I'm looking for in a 60s sci-fi movie, the whole cast has some great chemistry, especially Nick Adams with Akira Takerada as well as Kumi Mizuno, and as always has a kicking soundtrack.

If you like this film for all those reasons you'll love The Killing Bottle.

Wow man, thanks! This looks right up my alley. I'll definitely have to check it out. Is there any place I can easily get it, I don't mean pirating, just I know foreign movies can sometimes be hard to get stateside.
He Jock it Made of Steel

Terasawa
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Terasawa » Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:24 pm

Jetty_Jags wrote:Wow man, thanks! This looks right up my alley. I'll definitely have to check it out. Is there any place I can easily get it, I don't mean pirating, just I know foreign movies can sometimes be hard to get stateside.

That's the only option outside of an extremely rare early '80s Japanese VHS release for rental businesses.
Save All Dubs. Sub All Tohos.

Resized Image

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Postby MaxRebo320 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:41 am

That, or move to Japan and wait in vain for it to air on cable television again.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Postby Tamura » Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:25 am

sUpPoRrT oFfIcIaL rElEaSeS oNlY! Multinational corporations need the mahhhney and you (fans of Toho movies) don't need the unprofitable intellectual property!
Last edited by Tamura on Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

Omegazilla
Interpol Agent

Postby Omegazilla » Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:09 am

One of the things I really like about this one is that we got a monster fight on another planet and that still hasn't been done since.

Return to “Showa Series (1930's-1970's)”