Talkback Thread #6: Invasion of the Astro Monster (1965)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
edgaguirus
Keizer

Re: Talkback Thread #6: Invasion of the Astro Monster (1965)

Post by edgaguirus »

The music score is one of its best assets.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I am not sure if I brought this up before, but has anyone noticed that the Rodan suit from that era featured thorny protrusions in front of his eyes?

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

LegendZilla wrote:I am not sure if I brought this up before, but has anyone noticed that the Rodan suit from that era featured thorny protrusions in front of his eyes?
I have, cool isn't it? :P
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:I am not sure if I brought this up before, but has anyone noticed that the Rodan suit from that era featured thorny protrusions in front of his eyes?
I like to think that they protect his eyes while he travels at supersonic speeds.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Loganrules115
Interpol Agent

Post by Loganrules115 »

LegendZilla wrote:
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:
I like to think that they protect his eyes while he travels at supersonic speeds.
I think it makes more sense if they protect his face during a fight.
Planet X did nothing wrong. :xilien:

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

Ishiro Honda's third best Godzilla film, the best use of the alien invasion trope in a Godzilla film, and one of the highlights of the franchise. Invasion of Astro-Monster has some of the most charming performances of the genre, some of Eiji Tsuburaya's most convincing effects, and another dose of Akira Ikufube's fantastic music when it was still fresh. It's imaginative and well-crafted spectacle that never fails to be entertaining. Akira Takarada and Nick Adams are a really awesome pairing. Shame this would be Adams only involvement with the franchise. I like how Honda makes an effort to hide stock footage, both here and in Terror of MechaGodzilla; a far cry from what was about to be commonplace in most of the latter entries. Godzilla and Rodan's battles with King Ghidorah, albeit brief, are exciting and well-realized. Still the best fights involving King Ghidorah. Using a specific frequency of sound is definitely a unique means of fending off invaders and sort of reminds me of how the aliens are "defeated" in War of the Worlds. No other humanoid antagonists of the franchise even approach matching the grace and menace of the Xiliens here. As light-hearted an goofy as this film can get at times, Honda keeps things within reason and afford the film a sense of credibility the series was about to lose for a long time. The writing could be a little tighter. Most notably I wish Shinichi Sekizawa had offered a stronger motivation for the Xilien charade. Personally, I always chalked it up to arrogance on their part. Villains love playing victims like a fiddle. But I know some critics aren't as forgiving. Yet the film is so entertaining that it ultimately compensates for that shortcoming and establishes itself as one of Godzilla's best.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

I was curious if anyone knowledgeable on the version differences can tell me if it's possible to splice Nick Adams' English dialogue into the Japanese version or are there some cuts/music differences that would make it not work?

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

It's already been done by a fan who used to post here. It's my preferred version of the film.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Terasawa wrote:It's already been done by a fan who used to post here. It's my preferred version of the film.
Didn't know that. Any chance you could point me in the direction where I can see it?

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

UltramanGoji wrote:
Terasawa wrote:It's already been done by a fan who used to post here. It's my preferred version of the film.
Didn't know that. Any chance you could point me in the direction where I can see it?
I’d also be interested in this!

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

Ugh...

So to me this is the most overrated film in the entire franchise.

I just don't get what people see in this one...as cool as some
of the (limited) kaiju action is.

I mean Kumi Mizuno is stunning & all..and I guess its cool to
see Nick Adams...but...can someone explain to me why this
film is so highly regarded?
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

Grievous wrote:can someone explain to me why this
film is so highly regarded?
This movie is a Toho Sci-fi movie, with cameo appearances by Toho's top 3 kaiju stars. But I really enjoy the Sci-fi part of the story. Glenn and Fuji are great duo on screen, love the Controller and the X-Seijins. Even the side characters like the sister and her goof inventor boyfriend are fun to watch. The spaceships and saucers look great when on screen, love the look of Planet X with Jupiter in the sky. Lastly the short time we do see the kaiju in their brief cameos they look really good.

If this was a pure sci-fi entry without the kaiju it probably would be my favorite Toho sci-fi film.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

szmigiel wrote:If this was a pure sci-fi entry without the kaiju it probably would be my favorite Toho sci-fi film.
Try The Mysterians Broski.

:thumbsup:

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

Grievous wrote:Try The Mysterians Broski.
The Mysterians is good, but doesn't have Glenn and Fuji.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

szmigiel wrote:The Mysterians is good, but doesn't have Glenn and Fuji.
True...

I guess I just don't see the on screen chemistry between Glenn & Fuji.

Maybe I'd like the film more if I did...but my brain just doesn't get it.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Glenn is definitely an important factor. I'll second everything szmigiel said, and add that we get the visually interesting novelty of a brief but cool kaiju battle set on another planet.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

JAGzilla wrote:Glenn is definitely an important factor. I'll second everything szmigiel said, and add that we get the visually interesting novelty of a brief but cool kaiju battle set on another planet.
That's a fair call...

But the key word is Brief.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Nah, the key word is 'cool'. ;) Rodan's boulder bombing run is one of my favorite of his scenes in the franchise. And cool or not, Godzilla's jumping dance is iconic as hell. They actually showed it on the Jumbo Tron at a Nashville Predators game I went to once, with him jumping and King Kong '33 pounding on a gate in time with the beat of 'We Will Rock You.' That was pretty awesome to see.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

JAGzilla wrote:Nah, the key word is 'cool'.
Oh...I don't find it cool...

Only brief.
JAGzilla wrote:They actually showed it on the Jumbo Tron at a Nashville Predators game I went to once, with him jumping and King Kong '33 pounding on a gate in time with the beat of 'We Will Rock You.' That was pretty awesome to see.
That does sound pretty awesome.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

Monster Zero is the most refined and engaging of Toho's outer space films. Which isn't even a high bar by any means but nonetheless its a good movie on it's own right. Out of the entire franchise it probably has the most charming cast. Even if you only care about the monster action and special effects footage (which I always find to be the weakest parts on their own), the climax is pretty spectacular. Seeing all these detailed miniatures get destroyed as the Xillians enact their plan is pretty cool. There's some sloppy staging, iffy puppet shots, and the stock footage is obvious but it's still impressive in spite of all that.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.