Talkback Thread #6: Invasion of the Astro Monster (1965)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Arrow
Gotengo Officer

Talkback Thread #6: Invasion of the Astro Monster (1965)

Post by Arrow »

Godzilla and Rodan face off against King Ghidorah.

Discuss this all-time classic. I will say this: Akira Ifukube's "Monster War March" theme has been one of my favorite Godzilla themes to this day.

HayesAJones
Keizer

Re: Talkback Thread #6: Invasion of the Astro Monster (1965)

Post by HayesAJones »

This is a great movie. While I tend to overlook it because it comes after one of my favorite films of the series, it really is a lot of fun. It's stand out a lot for first introducing the idea of a alien race controlling the monsters as weapons, a plot point that would be used in a good number of future movies. And I love the "Monster War March" too.

Terrier
JXSDF Technician

Post by Terrier »

One of my favourites too. I just love it. The monster scennes, though short, are great, specially the destruction scenne at the climax (Besides the stock footage scennes).

King Ghidorah is awesomly animated; there is a scenne that got stuck in my mind, before the space battle, with King Ghidorah flying in the distance like a shadow covered with mist... The space scennes are also great, I loved the design of the Xian kingdom.

But what made me respect this film are the references to the time it was made... you may remember from the other forum, that topic about the portray of communism, the space race, and Japan relationship with USA and wonder about the communist countries...

tokyostateofmind
Monarch Researcher

Post by tokyostateofmind »

Yes. it gave us the great and immortal Monster Zero March, which no one can deny gets in your head quite easily.

DaikaijuSokogeki!
JXSDF Technician

Post by DaikaijuSokogeki! »

Hmm, what to say about this film that hasn't already been said...the fact that Nick Adams gives one of the most convincing gaijin performances in a kaiju film ever? That Godzilla's jig is irresistibly cool? That this movie set the standard by which all future Toho alien invasion flicks would be based upon? Anyways, it's a highly entertaining movie and the last truly great work from the original four in my opinion. The final monster battle leaves a bit of a sour taste in my mouth because of its length and unsatisfying conclusion, though. *SPOILERS* I wouldn't have minded King Ghidorah running away if it hadn't given us the impression that Godzilla and Rodan may have died. :| *END SPOILERS*

So yeah, it's a great film and one definitely worth making a high priority if you're new to the genre.

Hedorah
Xilien Halfling

Post by Hedorah »

I love this movie, sure it was a similar situation to the last movie, Ghidorah is back oh noez! But it has a great soundtrack, great fighting, and Godzilla showing off like a football player who just scored, it's a great movie!
#1 DEXTER FAN ON TK!

Godzilla 2000 wrote:tl;dr is just l33tsp34k for "you talk too damn much."
I wrote: Fuck the Dave the isn't footings happen

TokyoVigilante
Futurian

Post by TokyoVigilante »

Probably one of the most interesting human stories in any Godzilla film. The cast is incredibly likable and charismatic and the kaiju perform with charm and personality. King Ghidorah looks better here, I think then in his debut. Mostly due to the suit looking more natural. The solid Gold hue is a bit duller and looks more convincing that way.

Easily my favorite Godzilla film.
“I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.” - Ray Bradbury

ZigraDude
Monarch Researcher

Post by ZigraDude »

Monster Zero is one of my favorite Godzilla movies. The human cast really shines in this movie and makes up for the short battles, although I still enjoy them. The controller of Planet X is just awesome as well as Akira Takarada and Nick Adams. You really had a sense of feeling that those two were really good friends. And Godzilla dancing on Planet X is just made of win.

Blackout286
JXSDF Technician

Post by Blackout286 »

Mmmm, I enjoy is Godzilla film fairly much. Great human cast, awesome Monster destruction and a great final bout against King Ghidorah. Although, at times there are some moments that do seem a bit dull and boring...But it doesn't over-shadow how great the movie is in general. But, Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster still holds the crown as the best Ghidorah movie out of the Ghidorah trilogy imo.

g2kmaster
JXSDF Technician

Post by g2kmaster »

This film is maybe the best of the "alien invasion films" because of how it is handled. We get a good plot twist and we see our heroes on another planet then ours. Now, I perfer the MG duology but this film did it better. Plus, Nick Adams just kicks ass. This film is tits.

http://www.scifijapan.com/news%20bites/mz32.jpg

And I enjoy watching it more than GTTHM.

Hellblaze
JXSDF Technician

Post by Hellblaze »

Great film :D I have this movie on VHS and saw it on Monster Vision. Godzilla and Rodan team up and win against Ghidorah.

GotengoXGodzilla
EDF Instructor

Post by GotengoXGodzilla »

Amazing film. Great characters, an interesting plot, the villain wasn't just a monster this time around and another great score by Ifukube. True, there aren't a lot of fight scenes throughout the film, but that obviously wasn't the main focus of the film. And I appreciate that from a Godzilla film.
Check out my film blog - Seeing Is Believing

Dash 7
Monarch Researcher

Post by Dash 7 »

I love this film. Probably my favorite Showa film alongside the original and ToMG. It's very well directed and the characters are enjoyable.
Official Tokusatsu TV expert of TK.

Mini-Godzilla
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mini-Godzilla »

An improvement over the previous Ghidorah movie. The alien invasion is now on in full force, and both Godzilla and Rodan must face the evil space dragon once again. Solid 60's camp, complete with delightfully hokey aliens and memorable scenes all around.
Godzilla says I should learn to fight my own battles!

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

One of my favorite movies of all time. Period. Yes, the monsters don't have a lot of screen time, but that's okay. When they ARE on screen, they look bloody fantastic. The soundtrack to this film is also one of Akira Ifukube's very best, IMO. The Xians were awesome, and are definitely the "best" Aliens in the Godzilla series, IMOHO. The was also the last film where King Ghidorah actually looked good (He's already a little haggard looking by the time of DAM) in the Showa series. The film also has my personal favorite flying Rodan prop in the entire series. It looks really great in a few shots. Also, the DaisensoGoji suit looks SO much better in this film than it does in SEA MONSTER...
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

Godzilla dances... Automatic Awesomeness. It's overall a pretty good film. I do have to say I prefer Ghidrah: The Three Headed Monster over this one. But it's still really good.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Just watched Monster Zero today

Post by miguelnuva »

I noticed some things while I rewatched monster zero today.

1.Ghidorah burned Godzilla hands down to the bone for a brief second.

2.Rodan who took no damage from Godzilla's ray was hurt by Ghidorah's gravity beams.

3.Godzilla and Rodan either won and tied with Ghidorah I think it was a win.

4.(This may be me thking to hard about the movie) but Godzilla and Rodan seem to have made a pact of some sort and work better as a team as Godzilla begins more ariel attacks and better T&C skills and Rodan beings going into the water more and they are found close together by the xlians and were going to attack japan together once again acording to the xlians.

Anyway I going to go off on a limb and Say King Ghidorah is the most powerful Showa monster and could probely beat hedorah as his beams are hotter and more powerful then Godzilla's ray.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Re: Just watched Monster Zero today

Post by Arbok »

miguelnuva wrote:1.Ghidorah burned Godzilla hands down to the bone for a brief second.
Going to say no, until I see pics otherwise. Assuming its the scene I'm thinking of, the hands were simply grayish due to the explosion effects that were used.
miguelnuva wrote:2.Rodan who took no damage from Godzilla's ray was hurt by Ghidorah's gravity beams.
Rodan's tough. He wasn't phased much by Godzilla's beam, and while he cried out when King Ghidorah struck him... he was still strong enough to stay airborne. Still, a point could probably be made that King Ghidorah's gravity bolts are more powerful than Godzilla's atomic ray.
miguelnuva wrote:3.Godzilla and Rodan either won and tied with Ghidorah I think it was a win.
Generally assumed, since King Ghidorah has a habit of fleeing after being defeated. If he had the upper hand, he probably would have stuck around causing destruction as he did in his debut film.
miguelnuva wrote:Anyway I going to go off on a limb and Say King Ghidorah is the most powerful Showa monster and could probely beat hedorah as his beams are hotter and more powerful then Godzilla's ray.
Well Hedorah wouldn't have been immune to his beams, since they weren't radiation based like Godzilla's is. However, his gravity beams don't have a prayer of drying Hedorah out, and he's really outclassed there. Shadorah, Hedorah and Mechagodzilla are pretty much the defacto forces to be reckoned with from the Showa series monsters.
If it bites... don't mess with it!

GodzillaDude
Futurian

Post by GodzillaDude »

King Ghidorah's gravity bolts are more powerful then Godzilla's atomic breath/ray in the Showa series anyway.
SA
W: 72 L: 72

Instagram: @bloodeejacobreviews

Youtube channel (TV shows, movies, games, horror in general, etc): http://www.youtube.com/c/BloodeeJacob

godzillafan
Samurai

Post by godzillafan »

very good acting and this is my second favorite from the showa series
kaiju fan for life