Monster Discussion #38: Titanosaurus

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
MekaGojira3k
Samurai

Re: Monster Discussion #38: Titanosaurus

Post by MekaGojira3k »

My favorite Showa kaiju tend to be the plain dinosaurs, but often (Angilas, Rodan, Varan, Baragon) they're all very similar in terms of either basic layout or color scheme. Titanosaurus stands upright and has a very distinctive...well everything. His color scheme is great, his roar is annoyingly perfect, and he has a bizarre combination of aquatic abilities/whirlwind land based attacks.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

In the 22 years I've been a fan, "Being too fishy" is easily the most random reason I've ever heard for someone not liking Titanosaurus. :lol:
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

DoctorMafune
Monarch Researcher

Post by DoctorMafune »

Goji wrote:The suit is anything but "ugly". It's very detailed, and one of the better suits seen in the 70's Godzilla films.
I agree. A great design, an even more beautiful sculpt, superb detail, unique and striking coloration... what's not to like?

There is the small matter of his tongue, but that's a technicality.

I wasn't crazy about Titanosaurus's roar, at the outset (a little too clearly based on an elephant... though less so that Death Ghidorah's), but it grows on you.
"Rudeness is the weak person's imitation of strength." -- Eric Hoffer

shinmattiathekaiju
EDF Instructor

Post by shinmattiathekaiju »

my 4th favourite Godzilla's monster.

Sucks that he appaers in only one movie.
Living Corpse wrote:Being underrated and underground is overrated.
Varan Bon Ziller wrote:The lack of Bay is always a plus...

http://www.youtube.com/user/Ultramanmattia1

Varan1957
Yojimbo

Post by Varan1957 »

He's probably one of my favorite late Showa monsters. I like how he was more simplistic like earlier monsters such as Anguirus, Rodan, etc. It sucks how his tail fin doesn't close up in Godzilla: Unleashed.
You don't mess with the Baradagi.

GotengoXGodzilla
EDF Instructor

Post by GotengoXGodzilla »

I never really liked Titanosaurus. He's just a pawn in Dr. Mafune/Black Hole Aliens plans. Every time you see him, he's usually being controlled by something. So, it's never really him doing anything.
Check out my film blog - Seeing Is Believing

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

Is Titanosaurus even that popular in Japan?
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

tymon
Futurian

Post by tymon »

^From what I've heard, no. It took him decades to even get a Bandai figure.

Cool monster - not the most appealing design to my eyes, but the suit is fantastic, very well-made and well-detailed. He had a very entertaining fighting style, too.
JAGzilla wrote:And then there was The Giant Condor. He...seemed very dedicated to what he was doing?

GotengoXGodzilla
EDF Instructor

Post by GotengoXGodzilla »

Tyler wrote:
GotengoXGodzilla wrote:I never really liked Titanosaurus. He's just a pawn in Dr. Mafune/Black Hole Aliens plans. Every time you see him, he's usually being controlled by something. So, it's never really him doing anything.
You could say the same about Ghidorah most of the time.
True, but at least Ghidorah did have one film where he was in control of himself (Ghidrah, The Three-Headed Monster). Plus, there's a certain charm that Ghidorah has, even if he was being controlled most of the time, and Titanosaurus lacks that charm.
Check out my film blog - Seeing Is Believing

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

GotengoXGodzilla wrote:
Tyler wrote:
GotengoXGodzilla wrote:I never really liked Titanosaurus. He's just a pawn in Dr. Mafune/Black Hole Aliens plans. Every time you see him, he's usually being controlled by something. So, it's never really him doing anything.
You could say the same about Ghidorah most of the time.
True, but at least Ghidorah did have one film where he was in control of himself (Ghidrah, The Three-Headed Monster). Plus, there's a certain charm that Ghidorah has, even if he was being controlled most of the time, and Titanosaurus lacks that charm.
Are you kidding? Titanosaurus gets all the ladies!

Jokes aside, I've rethought Titanosaurus after rewatching ToMG today and he's... well I don't know how to put it. He's utilized well but it's not fair to call him a great monster since we never really hear Titanosaurus himself.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

Alucard
Xilien Halfling

Post by Alucard »

Titanosaurus is compared to three monsters.

Manda-Stupid
Rodan-Yes!!!
King Ghidorah-Hell yeah

If something is compared to King Ghidorah he is automatically awsome.
SuperSaiyan4Godzilla wrote:
wataru wrote:It's not huge and it's white.
LIKE YO DICK!

Marcin7282
Young Farmer

Post by Marcin7282 »

It is one of my favorite monsters.
Maybe my mind are different to another people but I still think that Titanosaurus is main character in "Terror of Mechagodzilla".
The storyline based on Titano and movie should be called "Godzilla VS Titanosaurus".
This monster was very strong(stronger than Mecha) but unfortunately he also had stupid weak point.
Sorry for my English

By The Way:
http://marcin7282.blogspot.com/

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

Marcin7282 wrote:It is one of my favorite monsters.
Maybe my mind are different to another people but I still think that Titanosaurus is main character in "Terror of Mechagodzilla".
The storyline based on Titano and movie should be called "Godzilla VS Titanosaurus".
This monster was very strong(stronger than Mecha) but unfortunately he also had stupid weak point.
What? There are so many things wrong with this post.... :dizzy:

EDIT: Oh shit, it's a bot! I'm sorry yaburu, spare me from your wrath! :shock:
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

Kubo
Sazer

Post by Kubo »

^ It's da best damn bot ever. He seems ok. I ain't gonna jump the gun on this one...not yet.

Titanosaurus...eh, his cry kinda gets annoying after a while, but he's pretty cool. The bumpy skin was a nice feature.
Giving myself brain damage wishing too hard upon a star.

Twitter: @Dawn_of_the_DED
If you follow me on there, shoot me a DM so I know you're from the forums.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

It always perplexed me that Titanosaurus and Anguirus weren't very popular in Japan, yet they have these cult followings in the U.S. It's interesting, to say the least.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

For JVM.
Despite being characterized in Mafune's journals as a gentle dinosaur. The first time I ever saw the daikaiju, not to mention learned of his exitence , was on the VHS cassette I rented of Godzilla Vs. Monster Zero(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pfkdux4aVFw), in the previews for other available G-flicks through Paramount. The preview opened up with a close-up of Titanosaurus bellowering his trademark roar. I always thought with that high pitched sound, and rather thin features he was something a bit of a psycho based on that. But finally viewing the entire flick a few years later I learned the bloke was actually doing what he was doing against his will. Despite this Titanosaurus can really dish out some punishment. Even take some in the process. Although his sensitivity to ultra-sonics really takes the wind out of his sails. Like a French soldier in combat.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

He's okay. Nowhere near my favorite kaiju, but he served his purpose well and gave Godzilla a decent fight. He has an interesting design, too, sort of a weird bipedal take on the classic sea serpent look. The fan tail is certainly original, too. It's a strange and unlikely weapon, but a good way to give him a long-range weapon that's not yet another beam.

I don't particularly want to see him appear again, though. He was great for the movie and era he was in, but doesn't really strike me as good material for today's kaiju movies or a credible opponent for the overpowered modern versions of Godzilla.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Godzillaprime05
Monsterland Worker

Post by Godzillaprime05 »

Lets remember he's a gentle giant by nature . I was confused as to why he ass classed with the mutants in GU, because he strikes me as an earth defender with no one controlling him.
Dr. Niko Tatopoulus: This is not good! This is not good!-a truer statement was never made

therealmccoy
EDF Instructor

Post by therealmccoy »

"Ass classed?" I don't know if that was intentional or not, but it was funny. :lol:

And I never got that either; it's pretty clear he wasn't a mutant. But I guess since he was a bad guy and wasn't an alien, they had to put him somewhere.
Join the Zone Fighter DVD initiative:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7065
Check out Jahgee's Hall of Awesome:
http://jahgeeshallofawesome.forumotion.com/
Check out my monster movie reviews at:
http://skreeonk.com/

Godzillaprime05
Monsterland Worker

Post by Godzillaprime05 »

Might have accidentally coined a phrase : ass classed. Freaking great auto correct
Dr. Niko Tatopoulus: This is not good! This is not good!-a truer statement was never made