Talkback: The War of the Gargantuas (1966)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Patrick Alan
Interpol Agent

Re: The War of the Gargantuas (1966)

Post by Patrick Alan »

This video along with the song prove how awesome War of the Gargantuas was!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MC7Im-G9mDs
The world would be so much nicer if people only used guns on themselves.

Poe Ghostal
JXSDF Technician

Post by Poe Ghostal »

I just watched this straight through for the first time this past weekend. It's definitely an enjoyable kaiju flick. I don't think Tamblyn was as bad as most people seem to think he is - I suspect he was mumbling his lines so as to make the Japanese dubbing work better. But then, I'm fond of Tamblyn from his appearance in Cabin Boy as the shark-man. Yes, I'm that one person in the world who loves that movie (it has an awesome snow-monster, btw).

Frankly I'm a bit bummed Sanda and Gaira were never brought into the Godzilla monster universe proper - I'd love to see them pop up in the new IDW Comics (and get a throw-down between Gaira and Godzilla). Kind of odd, really, given that Baragon became a beloved Godzilla gang member. I guess they were "dead," though.

I'm also bummed we never got a Bandai vinyl of either Gargantua. Seems like a no-brainer since you automatically get two uses out of the sculpt.

I've never seen Frankenstein Conquers the World. Just added it to my Netflix queue.
Poe Ghostal's Points of Articulation - Toy news, reviews, & commentary

menschenjaeger
Monsterland Worker

Post by menschenjaeger »

Poe Ghostal wrote:Yes, I'm that one person in the world who loves that movie (it has an awesome snow-monster, btw)
You might be. I like it, but I can't go all the way to "love." The bit with Letterman and Elliot is the purest gold. If you grew up watching Letterman and enjoyed Elliot's many appearances during that show's heyday, it's pure platinum

I'm bummed about how much one has to pay for a vinyl Sanda + Gaira set.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Poe Ghostal wrote:I suspect he was mumbling his lines so as to make the Japanese dubbing work better.
Part of the reason I think he "sounds so bored", as some people like to say, is that his original was lost, and had to be re-recorded prior to the film's Japanese release. I can't imagine he was too thrilled about the idea.

Frankly I'm a bit bummed Sanda and Gaira were never brought into the Godzilla monster universe proper - I'd love to see them pop up in the new IDW Comics (and get a throw-down between Gaira and Godzilla).
I think integrating them into the IDW comics would be a great idea, actually. You probably already know this, but Gaira actually does exist in the universe of the two Kiryu films, and is mentioned (and shown) in a flashback sequence in GODZILLA X MECHAGODZILLA, though, it's just that; a flasback. :(
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Poe Ghostal
JXSDF Technician

Post by Poe Ghostal »

Goji wrote:I think integrating them into the IDW comics would be a great idea, actually. You probably already know this, but Gaira actually does exist in the universe of the two Kiryu films, and is mentioned (and shown) in a flashback sequence in GODZILLA X MECHAGODZILLA, though, it's just that; a flasback. :(
Right, they're only ever shown in stock footage. I wonder why they were never used in the regular Toho-verse - unless, again, Toho's official position is that they're dead. Maybe they're just honoring Sanda's heroic sacrifice.
Poe Ghostal's Points of Articulation - Toy news, reviews, & commentary

The H-Man
GPN Volunteer

Post by The H-Man »

I watched the Japanese version, so I didn't have to deal with the lackluster Tamblyn dub. I admit to hoping the female nightclub singer would get eaten by Gaira, it would have been a just punishment for singing that horrendous song.

And I enjoy Cabin Boy as well, actually saw it in the theater when it first came out.

menschenjaeger
Monsterland Worker

Post by menschenjaeger »

The H-Man wrote:I watched the Japanese version, so I didn't have to deal with the lackluster Tamblyn dub. I admit to hoping the female nightclub singer would get eaten by Gaira, it would have been a just punishment for singing that horrendous song.

And I enjoy Cabin Boy as well, actually saw it in the theater when it first came out.
"These pipes...ARE CLEAN!!!!" Saw it with my mates back in the day, just out of High School. Good times.

I'm guessing they were shooting for a King-Kong-picking-up-a-helpless-dame feel? I always felt that was a really formulaic part of the movie (we should ad a musical number, and a few parts where the monsters carry pretty girls!), but what a great formula.

When I finally saw the Japanese version, I was a little bummed out by how DARK that print was. But I got to watch it interactively, lighting up my Aoshima maser cannon and pointing it at the screen. :D (no, that's not a euphemism)

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

From what I understand, the singer (Kipp Hamilton), was a friend of UPA president/ WOTG producer Henry G. Saperstein, which is probably why she was in the film at all.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

menschenjaeger
Monsterland Worker

Post by menschenjaeger »

Oh, no, I didn't mean her, specifically - there's just a lot more women getting picked up by kaiju than one usually sees (other than kong films).

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Poe Ghostal wrote: I wonder why they were never used in the regular Toho-verse - unless, again, Toho's official position is that they're dead. Maybe they're just honoring Sanda's heroic sacrifice.
If Toho had that kind of mentality, I doubt they would have invented Destoroyah.

GotengoXGodzilla
EDF Instructor

Post by GotengoXGodzilla »

Goji wrote:From what I understand, the singer (Kipp Hamilton), was a friend of UPA president/ WOTG producer Henry G. Saperstein, which is probably why she was in the film at all.
That's what I would have guessed.

Though, as I've said before, I still hate that scene. Not because of it's presence, but because of how badly incorporated into the film it is. In the long run, that scene serves no purpose, when it could have.
Check out my film blog - Seeing Is Believing

kaiju115
JXSDF Technician

Post by kaiju115 »

I take back what I said earlier. War of the Gargantuas is one of Toho's better films outside of the Godzilla series. Even thought it does that God awful singer and one of Russ Tamblyn's worst acting performances, it's certainly one those movies where the more I watch it, the more and more I like it.
SHIN GOJIRA IS AWESOME!!!!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/user/kaiju115

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Kaiju115
Hope Legendary's Godzilla gets more than a Trilogy

Patrick Alan
Interpol Agent

Post by Patrick Alan »

Yeah....Russ Tamblyn's acting was pretty emotionless I think.

kaiju115
JXSDF Technician

Post by kaiju115 »

It was almost like he was sleepwalking during his performance, he was so boring.
SHIN GOJIRA IS AWESOME!!!!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/user/kaiju115

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Kaiju115
Hope Legendary's Godzilla gets more than a Trilogy

Patrick Alan
Interpol Agent

Post by Patrick Alan »

I agree fully

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

At last, I have seen War of the Gargantuas!!!

This is definitely an interesting movie. The film is pretty well written. Although the film begins with the "mystery angle", there's a surprising amount of dramatic irony, as the audience gets to see quite a bit of Gaira, and learns that "Gargantuas" are already heard of, though not confirmed to exist. We are given a lot of information, yet very little at the same time, making things all the more tantalizing for us as the human cast tries to put all the pieces together. Is there actually a monster, and is it a Gargantua? Could it be the same creature the good scientists once harbored? Why would it have become hostile?
Chaos builds when Gaira makes a definitive appearance at the airline. Now the military springs into action. After the annoying musical number (they should have scripted Gaira to eat that lady), we are treated to a terrific cat-and-mouse hunt in the forest (and it is a very impressive miniature forest). I almost felt sorry for Gaira as he tries to elude discovery. We get some great action (maser tanks! Yay!) which culminates with the surprise appearance from Sanda. From here on, the conflicts continue to rise, ending with an awesome climactic battle between Sanda, Gaira and the military.

The special effects for this movie are exceptional. The miniature sets, like the aforementioned forest, and the city for the climax, are probably some of Toho's best work. The Gargantua suits are pretty good too, as is the Giant Octopus marionette, and the laser/electricity effects for the military weapons.

Although this film is well-written, it's hindered by one thing - the dialogue. I watched this movie dubbed, so I don't know whether it's the fault of the dubbers or the original script, but the dialogue seems awkward at times. Discussion seems to be rushed, and some subjects appear to be skipped over. For example, after Gaira's attack on the airline, the reporters ask Dr. Stewart if they plan to continue growing the Gargantua cells. Wait, WHAT Gargantua cells?! When was this mentioned?? Another example would be when the possibility of two Gargantuas existing is first brought up, but then completely dropped until Sanda is actually seen.

Overall, however, this is a good movie. I'll give the film a 6/10 for now, due to the dub, but I suspect I will like it more upon future viewings, especially once I get to see it in Japanese.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

It gets a little better with the Japanese version.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

GodzillaDude
Futurian

Post by GodzillaDude »

Just curious what did everyone think of the ending?
SA
W: 72 L: 72

Instagram: @bloodeejacobreviews

Youtube channel (TV shows, movies, games, horror in general, etc): http://www.youtube.com/c/BloodeeJacob

Gojira1963
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira1963 »

GodzillaDude wrote:Just curious what did everyone think of the ending?
I always felt sad that both of them died. I at least wanted Sanda to live.
Liam F.

My science fiction/Fantasy blog. with Godzilla content! http://foleyfunfilmfacts.wordpress.com/

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

The random volcano thing that happens in more than one Toho kaiju film is, well, random, but having both die was a fitting ending for what is in a way a tragedy film. I don't necessarily have any ideas for a different ending off the top of my head.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren