Talkback Thread #5: Ghidorah, the Three Headed Monster(1964)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Goji
Kwaidan

Re: Talkback Thread #5: Ghidorah, the Three Headed Monster(1964)

Postby Goji » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:29 am

Really? Didn't know that. I trust that that is true, but where does that information originate from? Just curious.

UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby UltramanGoji » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:16 pm

Goji wrote:Really? Didn't know that. I trust that that is true, but where does that information originate from? Just curious.

It can be found in the Ishiro Honda biography by Steve Ryfle and Ed Godziszewski.

Goji
Kwaidan

Postby Goji » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:18 pm

Ah, okay. I read that a looong time ago, so that's probably why I don't remember. There's a lot of information to digest in that book.

Godzillian
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Godzillian » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:53 pm

Anyone else prefer the American cut? I feel like it's editing just moves the movie a little faster

eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby eabaker » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:09 pm

Godzillian wrote:Anyone else prefer the American cut? I feel like it's editing just moves the movie a little faster

I definitely prefer the way that the American cut intersperses the human and monster action during the final confrontation; they feel totally separate in the Japanese cut.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Terasawa
JXSDF Technician

Postby Terasawa » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:15 am

I think the sequence of events in the American version is more logical than in the Japanese version, especially considering the introduction of Ghidorah.

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Postby kamilleblu » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:58 am

I think the American cut tightens the overall continuity and flow of the film. Plus including the monster roars during the gunfight is a vast improvement over the silence of the Japanese version of that same sequence. My only complaint is that the American editors completely butcher Godzilla's "attack" on the city. Obviously, Godzilla coming ashore twice is jarring. But the stock track and how much they cut up the scene is a travesty. Makes it feel like a generic attack. Ikufube's score worked perfectly with the editing and Rodan's flight sound effect in the Japanese cut. Somehow it exudes a unique sense of dread and Godzilla's frustration with Rodan is priceless. And Rodan silhouetted against the night sky is an awesome visual. It's not just one of my favorite sequences in the film, it's one of my favorite sequences in the entire series.

GojiDog
Yin-Yang Master

Postby GojiDog » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:38 am

One of my favorite things about this movie is that I can be a jerk to Marvel fans.

"Marvel did the shared universe thing first!"

And then I can be like "ACTUALLY, Toho did it decades ago with their monsters. Godzilla, Rodan, and Mothra were their three biggest mon-stars. Mothra Vs. Godzilla was their first crossover, and then Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster was like their Avengers".

And heck Toho weren't even the first ones to do it. The Universal Monsters of the 30s and 40s did it with Frankenstein Meets The Wolfman and then the House of Dracula and House of Frankenstein monster mashes.

And for a more recent example, lest we forget Kevin Smith's View Askewniverse with Jay and Silent Bob being the glue that held all those movies together.

For some reason it ticks off Marvel fans when I point this out. I don't know why it does (it doesn't really matter who did it first and Marvel owns the cinematic world right now, so whatever), but I like to needle them and troll them just a bit, lol.
Last edited by GojiDog on Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

Maritonic
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Maritonic » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:47 am

If I had a dollar for every time someone brought up Marvel/MCU/DCU in a non-related thread I could afford every single X-Plus release.
Resized Image

What doesn't kill me makes me Vicious

goji89 wrote:So.......are we gonna Kinkshame the skreeonking birds or what?

MandaSaurus wrote:I think a lot of you here don't exactly know what LOGIC actually means.

Rodan
Futurian

Postby Rodan » Mon May 21, 2018 5:49 am

This is one of the very few films in the series where I really think I prefer the American cut. The original is a pretty lively film as it is, but the US version does a little scene-re-positioning to really bring it together.

eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby eabaker » Mon May 21, 2018 11:04 am

Rodan wrote:This is one of the very few films in the series where I really think I prefer the American cut. The original is a pretty lively film as it is, but the US version does a little scene-re-positioning to really bring it together.

I just re-watched the US cut on Saturday night. As I've mentioned in this thread previously, I definitely prefer the way that the final human fight sequence and the final kaiju fight sequence are intercut in that version. However, in some earlier parts of the movie the re-shuffling feels a little disjointed, and the altered music cues really don't do much for me.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

edgaguirus
E.S.P.Spy

Postby edgaguirus » Tue May 29, 2018 11:31 am

The scene editing of the American cut towards the end is a little neater than the original. However, I find both versions to be satisfactory.
Kaiju are just like people- giant, radioactive people.

Megalon went into a bar and saw Gigan. Megalon said, " Again? I thought you gave this up."
" What can I say," Gigan asked. " I'm hooked."

Jeff-Goldblum1
Interpol Agent

Postby Jeff-Goldblum1 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:22 pm

Considering this movie has the monster line up for Legendary's King of The Monsters this movie was prime for a rewatch this weekend.

Such an awesome movie. I particularly like when it delves into the conversation between Mothra, Rodan and Godzilla most notably the line about Godzilla considering the humans to be the bullies. Just adds something to Godzilla and marks a part of the franchise where he became more of a character and not just a monster.

Even though the scene could be considered exposition there isn't many other ways to translate monster roars other than the faeries interpreting their language.

I noticed Godzilla cops it in the dick more twice in this movie. Once when Rosan drops him on the powerline and another when Ghidorah blasts him in the groin with his lightning. Ouch! That's probably the worst he ever had it.

PitchBlackProgress
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby PitchBlackProgress » Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:16 am

Am I the only one who thought Shindo totally wanted to smash Selno towards the end?
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

MechaGoji Bro7503
E.S.P.Spy

Postby MechaGoji Bro7503 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:37 am

PitchBlackProgress wrote:Am I the only one who thought Shindo totally wanted to smash Selno at the end?

You're not alone.
The world is very sexy, it's part of my collapse.

"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"I dont piss on broken ego's.....I poop them out MechaGoji Bro Seven Thousand Five Hundred and Three or Seventy Five Zero Three choose...." - goji89 (12/20/2018) aka god

eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby eabaker » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:59 am

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:
PitchBlackProgress wrote:Am I the only one who thought Shindo totally wanted to smash Selno at the end?

You're not alone.

Weird. I always just figured he wanted to skreeonk her.

KaijuCanuck
EDF Soldier

Postby KaijuCanuck » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:50 am

eabaker wrote:
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:

You're not alone.

You’re all wrong. He wanted to have sex with her.

MechaGoji Bro7503
E.S.P.Spy

Postby MechaGoji Bro7503 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:37 am

KaijuCanuck wrote:
eabaker wrote:
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:You're not alone.

You’re all wrong. He wanted to have sex with her.

Well played, Canadian.
The world is very sexy, it's part of my collapse.

"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"I dont piss on broken ego's.....I poop them out MechaGoji Bro Seven Thousand Five Hundred and Three or Seventy Five Zero Three choose...." - goji89 (12/20/2018) aka god

PitchBlackProgress
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby PitchBlackProgress » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:47 pm

Just how far do you think Naoko would go for a scoop?
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

Godzillian
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Godzillian » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:14 am

PitchBlackProgress wrote:Just how far do you think Naoko would go for a scoop?

Not as far as you're implying with the prophet

Return to “Showa Series (1930's-1970's)”