Talkback Thread #5: Ghidorah, the Three Headed Monster(1964)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
User avatar
szmigiel
Interpol Agent
Posts: 509
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:54 am
Location: Detroit
Contact:

Re: Talkback Thread #5: Ghidorah, the Three Headed Monster(1964)

Postby szmigiel » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:56 am

Praises
    Love the parallel plot between the humans and the Kaiju. They mix well when needed, but remain separate till the last act.

    The over all pace of the story, 1st act is character and plot introduction, with Rodan, Godzilla, and then King Ghidorah appearing in the 2nd act, the final act is a nicely handled and has plenty of Kaiju scenes and a nice battle if you don’t mind the break in the middle (see nitpicks later).

    Love the build up of investigating the meteor and it’s strange magnetic pull, the mention it is growing in size, and the eventual glowing.

    Dividing the Godzilla Vs. Rodan battle into small snippets, I think staying to long on their fight it would have gotten boring. It was already getting silly when Mothra breaks it up.

    King Ghidorah emerging from the meteor is still one of the best effects of the Showa franchise.

    King Ghidorah gravity beams are some of my favorite effects in the whole franchise. Love the ways they run across the ground causing destruction.

    Still love the Shobijin translating the kaiju’s debate, it made them more then just rampaging monsters, something that stuck through at least the rest of the Showa era.


Nitpicks
    Hate the saucer people talk in the very beginning and going back for the explanation of how the Princess surived her fall. We don’t see him interacting with anyone in that scene, it is almost like an aside to the audience.

    Malmess is ordered to kill the Princess with royal guards posted right by the doors. Strikes me as odd that you would be so open about murdering another royal.

    The Shobijin appearing on a TV just to give us another song and quick look at the Mothra larva that survived. It seemed forced and just a little to convenient to have them around to get involved with the Princess.

    King Ghidorah isn’t controlled that well in all scenes, often some of his heads are in odd positions. They do a much better job in the next film

    Going back the aerosol breath for Godzilla instead of optical effect because of the rush production

    The break in the 3 on 1 match to watch Malmess try to kill the Princess then catch and hug a boulder. It is only 3 minutes but it takes away from the pace of the film since you see about 3 minutes of kaiju battle before and after the scene. if it was cut into two parts and spliced in better with the battle I think it wouldn’t be as jarring.

User avatar
eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 10923
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:16 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Talkback Thread #5: Ghidorah, the Three Headed Monster(1964)

Postby eabaker » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:08 pm

szmigiel wrote:The break in the 3 on 1 match to watch Malmess try to kill the Princess then catch and hug a boulder. It is only 3 minutes but it takes away from the pace of the film since you see about 3 minutes of kaiju battle before and after the scene. if it was cut into two parts and spliced in better with the battle I think it wouldn’t be as jarring.[/list]


This is one respect in which many people (myself included) consider the Americanization and improvement, as it intercuts the two sequences more, and gives a better sense of the rock fall being caused by the fight.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

User avatar
szmigiel
Interpol Agent
Posts: 509
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:54 am
Location: Detroit
Contact:

Re: Talkback Thread #5: Ghidorah, the Three Headed Monster(1964)

Postby szmigiel » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:33 pm

That part is an improvement, and I don't mind them moving the Ghidorah footage around.

However the two edits;
Godzilla and the boat, where they show him looking a Rodan while dry then cutting back to him still dripping water and destroying the boat.
Then Godzilla coming on land, then cutting to a scene where he was back in the water.

Both those edits are not an improvement.

Golden Bat
Young Farmer
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:59 am

Re: Talkback Thread #5: Ghidorah, the Three Headed Monster(1964)

Postby Golden Bat » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:43 pm

One thing that's always baffled me...

The Japanese title is San Daikaiju - Three Giant Monsters...

But there is FOUR of them? How did they work that out?

User avatar
Ivo-goji
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2656
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:54 am

Re: Talkback Thread #5: Ghidorah, the Three Headed Monster(1964)

Postby Ivo-goji » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:07 pm

You weren't supposed to know King Ghidorah would be in this film.
Resized Image

Kaiju-King42 wrote:Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

Golden Bat
Young Farmer
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:59 am

Re: Talkback Thread #5: Ghidorah, the Three Headed Monster(1964)

Postby Golden Bat » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:54 pm

Ah I see!

Trailer and poster must have spoiled that one. And the surprise is spoilt on the DVD even if you watch the Japanese version because they call it Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster!

User avatar
UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 13670
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:40 am
Location: Western New York
Contact:

Re: Talkback Thread #5: Ghidorah, the Three Headed Monster(1964)

Postby UltramanGoji » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:14 pm

Golden Bat wrote:One thing that's always baffled me...

The Japanese title is San Daikaiju - Three Giant Monsters...

But there is FOUR of them? How did they work that out?


I always interpreted that as referring to Godzilla, Rodan, and Mothra facing Ghidorah in "The Greatest Battle on Earth".
Image

User avatar
eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 10923
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:16 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Talkback Thread #5: Ghidorah, the Three Headed Monster(1964)

Postby eabaker » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:15 pm

UltramanGoji wrote:
Golden Bat wrote:One thing that's always baffled me...

The Japanese title is San Daikaiju - Three Giant Monsters...

But there is FOUR of them? How did they work that out?


I always interpreted that as referring to Godzilla, Rodan, and Mothra facing Ghidorah in "The Greatest Battle on Earth".


Exactly. The heroes are the "Three Giant Monsters."

There are way more than seven samurai in Seven Samurai, but those seven are a unit.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

User avatar
Terasawa
Futurian
Posts: 1566
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:06 am

Re: Talkback Thread #5: Ghidorah, the Three Headed Monster(1964)

Postby Terasawa » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:33 pm

Ivo-goji wrote:You weren't supposed to know King Ghidorah would be in this film.


Uh... what makes you say that? As Golden Bat noted, he's featured very prominently on the posters and even at the end of the trailer. No one seeing this movie at the theater would have been surprised.
-- 寺沢 --
YouTube

Image

User avatar
Ivo-goji
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2656
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:54 am

Re: Talkback Thread #5: Ghidorah, the Three Headed Monster(1964)

Postby Ivo-goji » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:22 pm

That's just how I always interpreted the set up of having Godzilla, Mothra, and Rodan cross over in much the same manner as KKvsG and MvsG, only for the appearance of a entirely new monster to provide a 'twist', as explaining the logic behind the title.

Dissonance between how a film reveals a character and how the promotional material reveals a character is pretty common, it never occurred to me to question that, but you've got a point there.
Resized Image

Kaiju-King42 wrote:Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

User avatar
King of the Monsters
Yin-Yang Master
Posts: 305
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:00 pm
Contact:

Re: Talkback Thread #5: Ghidorah, the Three Headed Monster(1964)

Postby King of the Monsters » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:38 am

Ironically enough the film was re-released as Godzilla, Mothra, King Ghidorah: Greatest Battle on Earth for the Toho Champion Festival, with Rodan being absent from the title.
Bureaucrat on Wikizilla. No, not the site on Wikia.

123go
Yojimbo
Posts: 61
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:18 am

Re: Talkback Thread #5: Ghidorah, the Three Headed Monster(1964)

Postby 123go » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:50 am

King of the Monsters wrote:Ironically enough the film was re-released as Godzilla, Mothra, King Ghidorah: Greatest Battle on Earth for the Toho Champion Festival, with Rodan being absent from the title.


That's what i'm talking about. Rodan's rep got tarnished when he just flew off in DAM. He never recovered from that. Sad.

User avatar
Ivo-goji
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2656
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:54 am

Re: Talkback Thread #5: Ghidorah, the Three Headed Monster(1964)

Postby Ivo-goji » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:43 pm

So this movie is the original GMK?

No wonder Toho somehow thought such a long name like 'Godzilla x Mothra x King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All Out Attack' was no problem, they were honoring an ancient tradition.
Resized Image

Kaiju-King42 wrote:Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

edgaguirus
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 5448
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:25 pm

Re: Talkback Thread #5: Ghidorah, the Three Headed Monster(1964)

Postby edgaguirus » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:42 pm

Just look at the original title of G vs TSM.
Kaiju are just like people- giant, radioactive people.

Megalon went into a bar and saw Gigan. Megalon said, " Again? I thought you gave this up."
" What can I say," Gigan asked. " I'm hooked."

User avatar
KingKaiju
Futurian
Posts: 1944
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:31 pm

Re: Talkback Thread #5: Ghidorah, the Three Headed Monster(1964)

Postby KingKaiju » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:54 pm

What was the average time of production for a Godzilla movie, during the time? I understand that this movie was pretty rushed, and came out only a few months after Mothra vs. Godzilla, which seems apparent. While I love this movie, it feel like a dip in quality.
Image

User avatar
Mr_Goji_and_Watch
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2523
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:34 pm
Location: キノプレックス
Contact:

Re: Talkback Thread #5: Ghidorah, the Three Headed Monster(1964)

Postby Mr_Goji_and_Watch » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:24 pm

KingKaiju wrote:What was the average time of production for a Godzilla movie, during the time? I understand that this movie was pretty rushed, and came out only a few months after Mothra vs. Godzilla, which seems apparent. While I love this movie, it feel like a dip in quality.

Don't quote me on this, but as far as I know they usually took about 4-5 weeks. Mothra vs Godzilla had an even longer production, which is probably why it stands head and shoulders above the other 60's entries.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)

on 12-31-2017, Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:Nobody in the West can do the Oxygen Destroyer justice, especially not for some new Godzilla popcorn flick.

User avatar
KingKaiju
Futurian
Posts: 1944
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:31 pm

Re: Talkback Thread #5: Ghidorah, the Three Headed Monster(1964)

Postby KingKaiju » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:07 pm

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:
KingKaiju wrote:What was the average time of production for a Godzilla movie, during the time? I understand that this movie was pretty rushed, and came out only a few months after Mothra vs. Godzilla, which seems apparent. While I love this movie, it feel like a dip in quality.

Don't quote me on this, but as far as I know they usually took about 4-5 weeks. Mothra vs Godzilla had an even longer production, which is probably why it stands head and shoulders above the other 60's entries.


Oooooohhhh, that makes sense. Yeah, that movie is definitely my gold standard for Godzilla movies.
Image

User avatar
Terasawa
Futurian
Posts: 1566
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:06 am

Re: Talkback Thread #5: Ghidorah, the Three Headed Monster(1964)

Postby Terasawa » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:40 pm

You really need to realize that the Godzilla movies weren't made in a vacuum. The same Honda crew was working probably nearly continuously in 1963, 1964, and 1965. Atragon was made in a very brief period at the end of '63. Mothra vs. Godzilla, an April release, probably had a very short production schedule too. Certainly Ghidorah was rushed (made during the gap between Dogora's release in August and Ghidorah's release in December), but probably not a whole lot more so than the other tokusatsu films of this period.
-- 寺沢 --
YouTube

Image

User avatar
kamilleblu
G-Grasper
Posts: 1354
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:46 pm

Re: Talkback Thread #5: Ghidorah, the Three Headed Monster(1964)

Postby kamilleblu » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:16 am

I might be mistaken, though wasn't Ghidorah a last minute affair to substitute for a delayed Kurosawa film? Red Beard I think?

User avatar
Mr_Goji_and_Watch
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2523
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:34 pm
Location: キノプレックス
Contact:

Re: Talkback Thread #5: Ghidorah, the Three Headed Monster(1964)

Postby Mr_Goji_and_Watch » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:25 am

kamilleblu wrote:I might be mistaken, though wasn't Ghidorah a last minute affair to substitute for a delayed Kurosawa film? Red Beard I think?

Yes.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)

on 12-31-2017, Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:Nobody in the West can do the Oxygen Destroyer justice, especially not for some new Godzilla popcorn flick.


Return to “Showa Series (1930's-1970's)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests