Talkback Thread #5: Ghidorah, the Three Headed Monster(1964)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
ebirahsmeg1
G-Grasper

Re: Talkback Thread #5: Ghidorah, the Three Headed Monster(1

Postby ebirahsmeg1 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:49 pm

HayesAJones wrote:Is it wrong that my firsts thoughts on this picture were that it looked like Godzilla's about to get it up the ass? 'Cause I'm pretty sure it is.

Considering your Avatar, I'm sure you'd know from first hand experience.

Anywho....that's all I'm saying on this...back on topic...

....Here are some more pics:

GIANT CONDOR!!!!!!!! :shock:

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

Rody
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Rody » Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:24 pm

ebirahsmeg1 wrote:Image

Obviously, I need to watch the Ghidorah films again -- I thought this scene was from Invasion of Astro-Monster.

VamprisArachne
Samurai

Postby VamprisArachne » Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:28 pm

^ Well I don't remember Rodan in the shot, but Godzilla was thrown into that bridge in Ghidorah

Leunames
Interpol Agent

Postby Leunames » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:29 pm

This is my favorite Godzilla film of al time. It's just FUN and each monster gets heralded throughout the film. I really couldnt care lessabout the criticsims in regards to the fx either. This film was released in the same year as godzilla vs mothra and to have four monsters in the movie, including the most difficult suit to operate in king ghidorah, in such quick turnaround time is a masterful feat.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Uncrazimatic

Godzilla and reviews, from vintage to modern day.

ebirahsmeg1
G-Grasper

Postby ebirahsmeg1 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:52 am

Some more interesting pics:

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

Rody
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Rody » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:41 am

I love that shot of Rodan colliding with Ghidorah.

I bet that silk was a real pain to clean up.

Space Hunter M
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Space Hunter M » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:50 am

Yeah, apparently they had to douse the costumes in gasoline to clean them up.
TK's only diehard RMA King Arthur series historian
"All you did was download the ROMs anyway! You can hardly call yourself a real fan!"

I THINK IT STINKS!
SuperMonsterZero wrote:Mire Goji. That must be the Godzilla from the Italian Dogora poster.

ImageImageImage
"Follow the light. The light is your guide."
"Cherenkov light?"

ก็อตซิลลา
哥吉拉

Follow me on the tumblebox

The H-Man
Samurai

Postby The H-Man » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:21 pm

The pictures make me want to go back and watch the movie, just to see if I can catch a glimpse of Rodan in the scene where Godzilla gets thrown into the bridge. The one pic he's flying directly up behind Ghidorah, but it's probable that none of that was used in the film.

Rody
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Rody » Sun May 06, 2012 2:09 pm

I watched both Ghidrah and Monster Zero today. Here are my thoughts on the former.

Ghidrah, The Three Headed Monster has a great story; aliens, international incidents, and giant monsters all wrapped into one. It's very clever, and I like the ominous tone the movie tries to adopt.

However, a good story still needs to be executed properly; unfortunately, the presentation in Ghidrah is somewhat lacking. The pacing seems a little slow, and the balance between the different plots isn't handled as well as it should have been: I think it focuses too much on the political assassination plot and not enough on the IMPENDING DOOM AND DESTRUCTION AT THE CLAWS OF THREE GIANT MONSTERS. Granted, Godzilla, Rodan, and Ghidorah all have impressive intros, but then it takes a long time before they actually start doing stuff -- and once again, the menace these monsters present seems underplayed.

On to the action. This is, of course, what we want to see most, but once again the film gives a mixed performance. There are some great shots (I don't think I need to say which ones), but there are a lot of bad ones as well. The mediocre-looking puppets are greatly overused, and shifting scenes from puppets to suits is a bit jarring. Once everyone gangs up on Ghidorah, pretty much everything improves.

Like previous viewings, this one was the dubbed version - and I really realized this time how bad the dub is. You can easily imagine these voice actors reading their lines straight off the script, and what's more, some of them don't even sound like they know English well. I really need to see this movie in Japanese, because the dub greatly detracts from the viewing experience.

Overall, Ghidrah is still a good movie, but I can't call this one of the best. 5/10.

(EDIT: would someone bump the thread for ASTRO-MONSTER? I was the last one to post there.)

menschenjaeger
Samurai

Postby menschenjaeger » Mon May 07, 2012 6:51 am

Whoah, 5?! I agree with almost everything you said, review wise (except maybe for the dubbing bit), but...5 out of 10?

I watched the English version again about a week or so ago, just for fun, and it did seem to drag just a bit. My VHS copy was one of my most heavily played tapes during my college years, and I LOVED that movie. I got it on DVD mostly to see the Japanese version. It's a shame the Japanese version doesn't have the "what terrible language!" bit which is really one of the highlights, but I do like the interplay between Natsuke and Hoshi which we lose in the English version. The English version does have slightly better pacing due to the editing (at the expense of some of Ifukube's music), but the Japanese version is good without any real "cheese factor"...it's a shame there isn't some version that has the best of both.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Tohosaurus » Mon May 07, 2012 7:40 am

It's a classic and one everyone has to smile at while watching if you're into this sort of thing. That aside, I can't help but prefer Astro Monster somehow. Can't really put my finger on why.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

Rody
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Rody » Mon May 07, 2012 1:01 pm

menschenjaeger wrote:Whoah, 5?! I agree with almost everything you said, review wise (except maybe for the dubbing bit), but...5 out of 10?

Hopefully, my opinion will change for the better when I manage to see it in Japanese. The dub was really distracting.

Tohosaurus wrote: That aside, I can't help but prefer Astro Monster somehow. Can't really put my finger on why.

Having watched the two films back to back yesterday, I agree with this. I'll give a review once somebody bumps Astro-Monster's thread.

Goji
Kwaidan

Postby Goji » Mon May 07, 2012 6:19 pm

Rody, do you not have the GHIDORAH DVD from CM?
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you

Rody
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Rody » Tue May 08, 2012 8:43 am

I do not. I've tried to get ahold of it through my library, but to no avail.

One of these days (when I can better afford it) I'll break down and just BUY all of these blasted DVD's. :lol:

Goji
Kwaidan

Postby Goji » Tue May 08, 2012 8:48 am

Ah, I see. Yeah, I suggest just buying the Godzilla Collection that CM offers. It's only like $20 on amazon, I believe.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you

GodzillaDude
EDF Soldier

Postby GodzillaDude » Wed May 09, 2012 5:38 pm

I really like this one. The final battle with Godzilla, Rodan and Mothra Larvae fighting Ghidorah is good and I liked the process it took them to cooperate! That was fun to watch/listen to. The only slight problem I have with it is that I didn't like how often Godzilla resorted to kicking/throwing/hitting big rocks at Rodan and sometimes Ghidorah. I would rather have seen Godzilla go melee more often like Showa Godzilla usually does but that is only a minor nit picking complaint! Also Ghidorah had a good presence in this movie.
Last edited by GodzillaDude on Thu May 10, 2012 11:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
SA
W: 72 L: 72

Youtube channel (TV shows, movies, games, horror in general, etc): http://www.youtube.com/c/BloodeeJacob

My Top Godzilla Films & Top 10 Favorite Kaiju!
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9344&p=359739#p359739
http://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewto ... 63#p534263

menschenjaeger
Samurai

Postby menschenjaeger » Thu May 10, 2012 5:27 am

I always liked the way Rodan and Godzilla were shamed into fighting King G. Godzilla looks so uncomfortable when Mothra declares he's going to fight by himself and crawls away. :D

locomike65
Ronin

Postby locomike65 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:30 pm

one thing that always bothered me. In the last movie there were 2 mothra caterpillars. Now suddenly there is only 1 and no explanation. The fairys explain that "the older one died you know" (adult mothra) but that must be referring to the one that died in Godzilla vs Mothra. It seems they just dropped the ball on that detail????

locomike65
Ronin

Postby locomike65 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:34 pm

hmm ill check it out. i have the classic media dvd on its way to me now. I dont see how it would die form the fight though since Godzilla really didnt hurt either one of them much.
at what point in the movie (japanese version) do they sate that?

ebirahsmeg1
G-Grasper

Postby ebirahsmeg1 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:21 pm

locomike65 wrote:hmm ill check it out. i have the classic media dvd on its way to me now. I dont see how it would die form the fight though since Godzilla really didnt hurt either one of them much.
at what point in the movie (japanese version) do they sate that?

He blasted at them with his atomic breath numerous times...exposure to the radiation could have done some serious damage, and he whacked the living sh*t out of one of them pretty good with his tail...very easy to see how one of them could have died from injuries later on...

Return to “Showa Series (1930's-1970's)”