Talkback Thread #5: Ghidorah, the Three Headed Monster(1964)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Talkback Thread #5: Ghidorah, the Three Headed Monster(1964)

Post by eabaker »

UltramanGoji wrote:
Golden Bat wrote:One thing that's always baffled me...

The Japanese title is San Daikaiju - Three Giant Monsters...

But there is FOUR of them? How did they work that out?
I always interpreted that as referring to Godzilla, Rodan, and Mothra facing Ghidorah in "The Greatest Battle on Earth".
Exactly. The heroes are the "Three Giant Monsters."

There are way more than seven samurai in Seven Samurai, but those seven are a unit.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Ivo-goji wrote:You weren't supposed to know King Ghidorah would be in this film.
Uh... what makes you say that? As Golden Bat noted, he's featured very prominently on the posters and even at the end of the trailer. No one seeing this movie at the theater would have been surprised.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

That's just how I always interpreted the set up of having Godzilla, Mothra, and Rodan cross over in much the same manner as KKvsG and MvsG, only for the appearance of a entirely new monster to provide a 'twist', as explaining the logic behind the title.

Dissonance between how a film reveals a character and how the promotional material reveals a character is pretty common, it never occurred to me to question that, but you've got a point there.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

King of the Monsters
Monarch Researcher

Post by King of the Monsters »

Ironically enough the film was re-released as Godzilla, Mothra, King Ghidorah: Greatest Battle on Earth for the Toho Champion Festival, with Rodan being absent from the title.
Bureaucrat on Wikizilla. No, not Gojipedia.

123go
Samurai

Post by 123go »

King of the Monsters wrote:Ironically enough the film was re-released as Godzilla, Mothra, King Ghidorah: Greatest Battle on Earth for the Toho Champion Festival, with Rodan being absent from the title.
That's what i'm talking about. Rodan's rep got tarnished when he just flew off in DAM. He never recovered from that. Sad.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

So this movie is the original GMK?

No wonder Toho somehow thought such a long name like 'Godzilla x Mothra x King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All Out Attack' was no problem, they were honoring an ancient tradition.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Just look at the original title of G vs TSM.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

What was the average time of production for a Godzilla movie, during the time? I understand that this movie was pretty rushed, and came out only a few months after Mothra vs. Godzilla, which seems apparent. While I love this movie, it feel like a dip in quality.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

KingKaiju wrote:What was the average time of production for a Godzilla movie, during the time? I understand that this movie was pretty rushed, and came out only a few months after Mothra vs. Godzilla, which seems apparent. While I love this movie, it feel like a dip in quality.
Don't quote me on this, but as far as I know they usually took about 4-5 weeks. Mothra vs Godzilla had an even longer production, which is probably why it stands head and shoulders above the other 60's entries.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:
KingKaiju wrote:What was the average time of production for a Godzilla movie, during the time? I understand that this movie was pretty rushed, and came out only a few months after Mothra vs. Godzilla, which seems apparent. While I love this movie, it feel like a dip in quality.
Don't quote me on this, but as far as I know they usually took about 4-5 weeks. Mothra vs Godzilla had an even longer production, which is probably why it stands head and shoulders above the other 60's entries.
Oooooohhhh, that makes sense. Yeah, that movie is definitely my gold standard for Godzilla movies.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

You really need to realize that the Godzilla movies weren't made in a vacuum. The same Honda crew was working probably nearly continuously in 1963, 1964, and 1965. Atragon was made in a very brief period at the end of '63. Mothra vs. Godzilla, an April release, probably had a very short production schedule too. Certainly Ghidorah was rushed (made during the gap between Dogora's release in August and Ghidorah's release in December), but probably not a whole lot more so than the other tokusatsu films of this period.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

I might be mistaken, though wasn't Ghidorah a last minute affair to substitute for a delayed Kurosawa film? Red Beard I think?

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

kamilleblu wrote:I might be mistaken, though wasn't Ghidorah a last minute affair to substitute for a delayed Kurosawa film? Red Beard I think?
Yes.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Really? Didn't know that. I trust that that is true, but where does that information originate from? Just curious.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Goji wrote:Really? Didn't know that. I trust that that is true, but where does that information originate from? Just curious.
It can be found in the Ishiro Honda biography by Steve Ryfle and Ed Godziszewski.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Ah, okay. I read that a looong time ago, so that's probably why I don't remember. There's a lot of information to digest in that book.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Anyone else prefer the American cut? I feel like it's editing just moves the movie a little faster

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Godzillian wrote:Anyone else prefer the American cut? I feel like it's editing just moves the movie a little faster
I definitely prefer the way that the American cut intersperses the human and monster action during the final confrontation; they feel totally separate in the Japanese cut.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

I think the sequence of events in the American version is more logical than in the Japanese version, especially considering the introduction of Ghidorah.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

I think the American cut tightens the overall continuity and flow of the film. Plus including the monster roars during the gunfight is a vast improvement over the silence of the Japanese version of that same sequence. My only complaint is that the American editors completely butcher Godzilla's "attack" on the city. Obviously, Godzilla coming ashore twice is jarring. But the stock track and how much they cut up the scene is a travesty. Makes it feel like a generic attack. Ikufube's score worked perfectly with the editing and Rodan's flight sound effect in the Japanese cut. Somehow it exudes a unique sense of dread and Godzilla's frustration with Rodan is priceless. And Rodan silhouetted against the night sky is an awesome visual. It's not just one of my favorite sequences in the film, it's one of my favorite sequences in the entire series.