Talkback Thread #5: Ghidorah, the Three Headed Monster(1964)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Vinv1989
Samurai

Re: Talkback Thread #5: Ghidorah, the Three Headed Monster(1

Post by Vinv1989 »

This movie will always have a special place in my heart as a Godzilla for it was my very first Godzilla movie. I got this along with "Son of Godzilla" on Easter back when I was just 4 years old. That great day would be a day that I would never forget as it introduced me to the wonderful world of Japanese Kaiju and Science Fiction films. This is also one of my favorite Showa films. It introduced King Ghidorah, had Godzilla, Rodan, and Mothra teaming up and it had a great pace. When I was young I would always watch the scenes where Godzilla and Rodan are battling throughout the countryside. I also loved the scene when Godzilla shoots Rodan in the face with his atomic ray and Rodan starts pecking him classic just classic. The final showdown with King Ghidorah was awesome, three kaiju’s vs. one! On a five star rating scale, I would give this movie 5 out of 5 stars.
"All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies. And whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first, they must catch you. Be cunning and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed."

GodzillaDude
Futurian

Post by GodzillaDude »

One of my favorites of the Showa era. Only behind Godzilla vs Gigan and Godzilla vs Hedorah. I got the DVD with both the English dubbed version and the original Japanese masterpiece version. Which of course I always watch the original Japanese version. The whole movie has a very fun vibe to it. And the final battle is both fun and good at the same time. Surely one of the more memorable Showa era Godzilla films.
SA
W: 72 L: 72

Instagram: @bloodeejacobreviews

Youtube channel (TV shows, movies, games, horror in general, etc): http://www.youtube.com/c/BloodeeJacob

GodzillaXGomoraFight
Gotengo Officer

Post by GodzillaXGomoraFight »

Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster is my favorite because it is the first real monster brawl in the series.

Leunames
G-Force Personnel

Post by Leunames »

GodzillaXGomoraFight wrote:Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster is my favorite because it is the first real monster brawl in the series.
word. among other reasons why i love this movie, that's one of them too

TitanosaurusFan
Yojimbo

Post by TitanosaurusFan »

Even though the dark atmosphere would be long gone until Terror of Mechagodzilla,I say it was a good change of atmosphere due to seeing more personality to the monsters and the scene with the Shojibin(is that correct?) translating what the monsters are saying and seeing the monsters talk is kind of an example("oh Godzilla,what terrible language!")However there are flaws.Most of the animation budget went to Ghidorah's gravity beams and made Godzilla's atomic breath,looks like a spray of water when compared to Mothra vs Godzilla (1964) atomic breath.Another issue which was only in the U.S version was that when Godzilla first appeared at the bay,he then is on land,then back in the water 4 seconds later,then on ground again.The dubbing,while better then Godzilla Raids Again dubbing,is still mediocre.The Godzilla suit here I dont really like,especially the head even though this is a repaired version of the better Mothra vs Godzilla suit.Rodan looked too goofy here then his much better appearence in Rodan.
Japanese version:7.5/10
American version:6.5/10

TokyoVigilante
Futurian

Post by TokyoVigilante »

The American Version actually fixes a couple continuity issues. Also gives motivation for Godzilla to even come ashore (Sees Rodan and follows him). The American Version is better, IMO.
“I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.” - Ray Bradbury

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

The U.S. cut has it's charm, but better as a whole? I don't know that I'd really go that far. The re-editing of certain scenes are definitely the good aspects of it, but the dubbing is still not quite up to par with some of the films that Titra dubbed. It does serve as a good alternate version, and is admittedly pretty fun to watch. The missing Ifukube scores, are definitely missed though. At least the stock music that's used fits pretty well.

Godzilla's arrival though, is completely butchered, and edited horribly.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Ethan
G-Grasper

Post by Ethan »

TokyoVigilante wrote:The American Version actually fixes a couple continuity issues. Also gives motivation for Godzilla to even come ashore (Sees Rodan and follows him). The American Version is better, IMO.
The American version creates continuity errors. The reordering of footage seems haphazard at points.
"If only all garden variety fans had just one neck!"

TokyoVigilante
Futurian

Post by TokyoVigilante »

The U.S. cut has it's charm, but better as a whole? I don't know that I'd really go that far. The re-editing of certain scenes are definitely the good aspects of it, but the dubbing is still not quite up to par with some of the films that Titra dubbed. It does serve as a good alternate version, and is admittedly pretty fun to watch. The missing Ifukube scores, are definitely missed though. At least the stock music that's used fits pretty well.
I thought the dubbing was beyond passable. By it's very nature, dubbing will never be perfect. But it was far from distracting and I thought they did a perfectly fine job at it.

Besides, the edits gave us;
A) It gives Godzilla motivation for him to even come ashore, and foreshadows the battle with Rodan later in the film.

B) The day/night mix-up with King Ghidorah was fixed.

These two things in particular, strengthen the film considerably. The only things lost, as far as I know, is some banter between the sibling characters, Princess Selna coming from Mars instead of Venus. and Ifukube's score.

Besides, Honda himself would go on mimic these same edits for the 70s re-release of this film for the Champions Festival.
The American version creates continuity errors. The reordering of footage seems haphazard at points.
Uh, like when?
“I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.” - Ray Bradbury

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

There's some sibling banter lost, but it really doesn't add much to the film except a little humor.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Ethan
G-Grasper

Post by Ethan »

TokyoVigilante wrote:Uh, like when?
When Rodan first appears, the scene is reorganized to the point where he unearths himself, is then seen completely buried, and finally appears in the air in the last shot. Godzilla's landing in Yokohama is even more bewildering, as the creature is first seen on land, only to appear in the sea in the next shot.
Besides, the edits gave us;
A) It gives Godzilla motivation for him to even come ashore, and foreshadows the battle with Rodan later in the film.
I think Godzilla's entrance works better without Rodan being present. It's much more simple. In the US version it makes it seem like Godzilla destroys the ocean liner because he was annoyed by Rodan's flight, as opposed to his usual antagonism against humanity. Besides, the sound editing in that scene is terrible.
B) The day/night mix-up with King Ghidorah was fixed.
There wasn't a mix-up in the Japanese version. Changes in day and night were a sign of days passing.
Besides, Honda himself would go on mimic these same edits for the 70s re-release of this film for the Champions Festival.
True, but Honda wasn't too happy about reediting his films. It was done so they could easily be double-billed.
"If only all garden variety fans had just one neck!"

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Godzilla never "needed motivation" to go ashore in the 4 films prior, so I don't see how that's really a positive. Godzilla's arrival is just plain badly done in the American cut. Seeing Godzilla on land...and then back in the sea..then back on land..is very jarring.

Everything else about GHIDRAH isn't distracting. It's a fun Americanization, that's for sure. Easily one of the most enjoyable next to GODZILLA KING OF THE MONSTERS, out of all the early (prior to Titra's dub jobs) Showa (Godzilla) films.
Last edited by Goji on Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

godzillafan
Samurai

Post by godzillafan »

i love this movie and they have it on the playstation network store
kaiju fan for life

Toxic Toast
Monsterland Worker

Post by Toxic Toast »

I watched the Japanese cut of Ghidorah last night and I enjoyed it more than the U.S. version.

This is a good movie, but I feel that if not for its hurried development cycle it would have been even better. The monster scenes would have really benefited from some time spent refining them. Not that there aren't some great moments in the film as-is, like Mothra climbing on Rodan's back and using him as an aerial weapons platform.
Mothra's promise: "As long as you remain friends of the the Earth, then Mothra will remain your ally."

bananaoil
G-Force Personnel

Post by bananaoil »

Rodan and Mothra look so dirty in this picture that, not only would I never want to touch them, I also feel compelled to shower after each viewing of the film.
Daikaiju is better with rainbows!!!

Mini-Godzilla
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mini-Godzilla »

Mothra is particularly grimy and disgusting! It's probably the most realistic-looking prop because of that.
Godzilla says I should learn to fight my own battles!

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

I also just watched the japan version last night and I'm pissed at how the US Version changed this movie. Ghidorah was my fav showa flim before and now that I've watched the real version I wish a fan could dube it.

Godzilla and Rodan's battle is even more even instead of one sided in favor of Rodan.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Mulder
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mulder »

Batarang wrote:i don't like this movie. it inradoused king ghidorah, the communist space draggon, and stupid mothra.
Mothra as interdouced in "Mothra" 1961 not Ghidorah BTW how do ya feel about Baragon?

Mulder
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mulder »

Batarang wrote:
Mike55 v2 wrote:
Batarang wrote:i don't like this movie. it inradoused king ghidorah, the communist space draggon, and stupid mothra.
Mothra as interdouced in "Mothra" 1961 not Ghidorah BTW how do ya feel about Baragon?
hes the best monster besides godzilla
One question how old are you?

Mulder
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mulder »

Batarang wrote:
Mike55 v2 wrote:One question how old are you?
I'm 13. my birth day was today
Ok this dude is Lamango OR someone trying to copy my trolling.