Talkback Thread #5: Ghidorah, the Three Headed Monster(1964)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Primevalgodzilla V2
Futurian

Re: Talkback Thread #5: Ghidorah, the Three Headed Monster(1

Post by Primevalgodzilla V2 »

Oh please. Name one Godzilla film that doesn't have some instance of questionable screen writing. You really can't lose yourself in a movie and are using minor trivialities in order the criticize Sekizawa's screenplay? Really?

Considering this woman is from a foreign country and is acting and dressing completely different than how she should be it's not entirely unlikely that people might get confused. It's not even that big a deal. Why it's necessary to attack the movie's writing in a way that could be easily construed as flamebait is beyond me.

It's like you went into this thread thinking, "I know everyone loves this film and considers it one of the classics. But I'm going to pick at something in such a way that's surely going to piss someone off. That should knock this movie and it's fans down a notch." Now I apologize if that's not your intent, but it definitely seems that way to me.
You really need to chill out. Funny how this constitutes as flamebait to you, yet when the Mill or Heisie films get similar treatment, you don't give a damn. Stop getting so crazy overreactive over a little joke. Its almost butthurt.

You are right, its not a big deal. You are the one who's pretty much making a mountain out of a molehill.

BOT, Kumonga is one of my favourite monsters. It was pretty awesome how he could take down Godzilla, a rare feat for monsters of of that time. And he's just a spider too.
It is a simple story. There is nothing that brings me happiness. Be it believing in others or them believe in me, it did not matter.
What others called happiness simply did not bring me joy.

HedorahLives
Monsterland Worker

Post by HedorahLives »

Chris55 wrote:I thought it funny that a girl can be unrecognizable if she takes off her BRACELET. How's that for great writing eh?
I agree, but you know what's worse? Announcing on live television where the princess/martian/venus woman is being kept when THERE ARE MEN TRYING TO KILL HER. Sheesh, talk about decreasing a character's brain cells by 900% just to move the plot forward.

Legionmaster
Xilien Halfling

Post by Legionmaster »

Bad writing is bad writing, no matter how much you like a film.
bleep bloop

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Christ... what's with the nitpicking? With all things considered, the film is pretty great.

This is one of the absolute best Godzilla films in the entire franchise. It's shortcomings don't really get in the way, (slightly rushed feel, a few inconsistent SPX shots, etc.) though I do (personally) feel that the film is slightly overshadowed by MOTHRA VS. GODZILLA. Ifukube delivers one of his best scores, and the film wouldn't be the same without his extra touch (though the same could be said about all Godzilla films that have Ifukube scores).
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Legionmaster
Xilien Halfling

Post by Legionmaster »

Goji wrote:Christ... what's with the nitpicking? With all things considered, the film is pretty great
How is pointing out bad writing nitpicking?
bleep bloop

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Legionmaster wrote:
Goji wrote:Christ... what's with the nitpicking? With all things considered, the film is pretty great
How is pointing out bad writing nitpicking?
Pointing out something like that in a film that's considered a classic over 45 years later, in a time when Toho was churning these films out, including 4 other films (all now considered some of Toho's very best), is nitpicking. These were films about giant monsters made for general audiences in 1960's Japan, not obnoxious American's who tear apart every aspect about them that rubs them the wrong way.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

HedorahLives
Monsterland Worker

Post by HedorahLives »

I can understand suspension of disbelief, especially in a Japanese monster flick, and I can understand overlooking the negatives to enjoy the whole. That doesn't mean I can't rightfully point something out as particularly dumb, clumsy, or poorly done, especially when it pretty blatantly is.

I mean, I'd place Ghidorah '64 amongst my favorite in the franchise (probably in the lower depths of my top ten), but I can freely admit when the screenplay has faults. Not stuff indicative of the era, mind you, but blatant dumbness, like the revelation of the princess' whereabouts on national tv or Shindo being a total movie cop (who apparently doesn't understand the concept of taking cover in a gun fight). In the end, none of that really matters much to me because the overall storyline and intensive kaiju stuff is pretty kick ass, but why act like these films are perfect or excuse away their faults?

August
GPN Volunteer

Post by August »

If a Princess from a small Asian country was walking around in men's clothes and without her makeup, looking like a transient, I doubt many people would even want to notice her. The only people in the story who know her face are the Japanese Police and the Assassins. The Assassins want to make sure it's really her, and not a double (which was an element of the plot in THE PHANTOM MEANCE), they needed to confirm her identity with the bracelet. This is an old story conceit that the audience of the time would be familiar with. So, it's hardly "bad", Chris.

As for the ECT (electroconvulsive therapy), I really don't think that they want anything constricting to one's body while undergoing this procedure. Years ago, a girlfriend of mine underwent this "therapy" in Canada (it was outlawed in the US), and she did mention the embarrassment of being nude or only wearing a hospital gown. In Japan, there's not the same "taboo" about nudity as in the US, where people are stark naked in Public Bathhouses to this day in Japan (I've been to a few myself, and it's something that takes a long time for a westerner to get used to).

The scene were Naoko blurts out that the Princess is at Dr. Tsukamoto's lab, I could see as a character flaw — she gave up the ghost, answering a direct question from a Government Official — and it's on live TV, no less. How many times have people made embarrassing mistakes, or said too much, on live television?

Before we get too serious, we have to remember that these movies were made as disposable entertainment — Honda and Tsuburaya never imagined that these films would be so widely viewed decades after their first release when they were made — so, in order to avoid fainting, keep repeating:

"It's only a movie... It's only a movie... It's only a movie... It's only a movie... It's only a movie..."

Legionmaster
Xilien Halfling

Post by Legionmaster »

Legion1979 wrote:You guys have to stop thinking you're too smart for these movies. With an attitude like that you're going to see flaws all over the place. As far as I'm concerned, that's not really fair.
Not fair? To who? Most of the people who made these movies are dead. Even if they aren't, screw them. I can think what I want about them. That's the power of being a viewer. I don't have to hold anything up on a pedestal just because it's old or just because August says so. And you don't have to be bothered by the fact that I don't like certain things about certain movies. It's really pathetic to take such offense over what someone else thinks. At least I'm mature enough to be able to like a film and be able to accept its flaws. No movie is perfect, and it's quite laughable that you treat these old movies like they are.
bleep bloop

Primevalgodzilla V2
Futurian

Post by Primevalgodzilla V2 »

I really don't see why Legion1979 is bitching so much over aa half-serious comment that Chris made, even calling it flamebaiting, yet he doesn't give a damn about the threads ENTIRELY devoted to similar stuff about GMK and G3, not the Heisei nitpicks we had in the old baord ('Its heading..towards Spaceodzilla' and 'NIIIIIIICE!). And it doesn't exactly help that to support your case, you have to put down another Godzilla writer. Its pathetic.
It is a simple story. There is nothing that brings me happiness. Be it believing in others or them believe in me, it did not matter.
What others called happiness simply did not bring me joy.

Arrow
Gotengo Officer

Post by Arrow »

Primevalgodzilla V2 wrote:I really don't see why Legion1979 is bitching so much over aa half-serious comment that Chris made, even calling it flamebaiting, yet he doesn't give a damn about the threads ENTIRELY devoted to similar stuff about GMK and G3, not the Heisei nitpicks we had in the old baord ('Its heading..towards Spaceodzilla' and 'NIIIIIIICE!). And it doesn't exactly help that to support your case, you have to put down another Godzilla writer. Its pathetic.
My god... dude, this debate ended hours ago. Why bring it back up? For what reason? Nothing you've said hasn't been said before and it has the potential to expand into another war. Please, just let it die.

No Ghidorah isn't a flawless movie, but it's one of my favorites. My favorite part of the thing is the final battle. Seeing Godzilla, Mothra, and Rodan against King Ghidorah was amazing.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

You sure do like that ignore option, don'tcha'?

Oh wait...

baragon123
Samurai

Post by baragon123 »

Geez who knew this movie cause such a commotion.....

Anyway I really like this movie. It has an ensamble cast, great special effects, cool villians, awesome monster action and it introduces Godzilla's greatest enemy King Ghidrah. I really have no complaints towards this film at all.
Out of the grave, Death is stalking you, You can't escape, YOU'RE EATEN ALIVE!-Eaten Alive by Repulsion

Mac
Samurai

Post by Mac »

Goji on ignore? He seems nice enough. As for primevalgodzilla, he's like a younger version of me so I can't really hate him.

I've been thinking about this fantastical film lately, and I'm growing more fond of it as a result, to the point where it might be one of my favorites. The reason for this is that Godzilla, Mothra, and Rodan feel like real characters, not just catalysts to move some tepid human plot. While there are many who feel Godzilla's decision to aid humanity was a poor direction to take the series, I enjoy Godzilla's change of heart, as it reveals the growth of Godzilla's overall character, and gives the monster the semblance of a character arc. Criticisms are also occasionally thrown at the puppets used in this film, but I think they help give the monsters more clearly defined characteristics and features, no matter how silly they appear.

The story of the monsters overcoming their differences to fight a greater foe is fun and endearing, even more so because we know the history that such characters as Mothra and Godzilla have with each other. I mean, watching Godzilla help Mothra up the large mountain is just kind of precious. King Ghidorah is wonderfully built up as a grand, foreboding threat, and while I realize that some of the effects in this film are lacking, there is a reason why those Tokyo destruction scenes were consistently used as stock footage for later films, just incredible. The movie also benefits from the fact that the Kaiju plot-line runs parallel with one great supernatural, espionage tale filled with Toho's best character actors!

GotengoXGodzilla
EDF Instructor

Post by GotengoXGodzilla »

I really need to rewatch this one. Its been a few years since I last watched Ghidorah, The Three-Headed Monster, and it seems that this film has gained some popularity since then. The last time I watched it, it seemed...okay. It introduced Ghidorah, brought back Rodan, and had some decent monster fights. I always overlook it when compared to the film made before it, Mothra vs. Godzilla, and the film made after it, Invasion Of The Astro Monster.

So, going off of the last time I watched it, Ghidorah, The Three-Headed Monster is a decent entry, but with the films the surround it, it can be forgettable.
Check out my film blog - Seeing Is Believing

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

I found an old VHS video where i taped this film, Son of Godzilla, an Godzilla vs the Sea Monster off of T.V.

To be honest i really enjoy this film, I love seeing Rodan i even have his original film.. Godzilla's appearance was great. The battle scene's between Godzilla an Rodan are fun as hell. Ghidorah had a awesome entrance an was a solid opening to one of Godzilla's greatest enemy's. I also pleased me very much to see Mothra get her ass handed to her during the beginning of the battle.

As some have said when all 3 monster's Godzilla, Mothra an Rodan sit an have a conversation is just pure entertainment esp when you say Rodan laugh at Godzilla, an Godzilla laugh at Rodan after being sprayed by Mothra. A Classic film in it's own right.

NebulaMSpacehunter
Samurai

Post by NebulaMSpacehunter »

Chris55 wrote:
Legion1979 wrote:
Chris55 wrote:I thought it funny that a girl can be unrecognizable if she takes off her BRACELET. How's that for great writing eh?
Oh please. Name one Godzilla film that doesn't have some instance of questionable screen writing. You really can't lose yourself in a movie and are using minor trivialities in order the criticize Sekizawa's screenplay? Really?

Considering this woman is from a foreign country and is acting and dressing completely different than how she should be it's not entirely unlikely that people might get confused. It's not even that big a deal. Why it's necessary to attack the movie's writing in a way that could be easily construed as flamebait is beyond me.

It's like you went into this thread thinking, "I know everyone loves this film and considers it one of the classics. But I'm going to pick at something in such a way that's surely going to piss someone off. That should knock this movie and it's fans down a notch." Now I apologize if that's not your intent, but it definitely seems that way to me.

I'll take any Sekizawa script over any of Omori's any day. That's for sure.
My God you're annoying. You're like a 13 year old girl on the rag. Just bitch, bitch, bitch. It's all you do. You're gonna be the only person I put on the ignore list.
Wow way to overreact about a joke, you wrote like 3 paragraphs justifying some sloppy script writing. Its not a big deal, just a funny little ridiculous thing put in there. Does this film really mean that much to you? hahaha

NebulaMSpacehunter
Samurai

Post by NebulaMSpacehunter »

Legion1979 wrote:
NebulaMSpacehunter wrote: Wow way to overreact about a joke, you wrote like 3 paragraphs justifying some sloppy script writing. Its not a big deal, just a funny little ridiculous thing put in there. Does this film really mean that much to you? hahaha
Way to turn on the guy who once gave you such an awesome sig quote. :P

And as August wrote a little earlier, it may not have been sloppy at all. And even if it was, who cares the movie rocks anyway.
Not trying to be mean, just saying it's a little odd you got so defensive, they were just joking around about some of the script choices. Not to offend but I never really understood why this film is so acclaimed

Mini-Godzilla
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mini-Godzilla »

Shortly after the events of the previous movie, Mothra talks Godzilla into giving up his life of terrorism for a chance at heroism. Everyone's favorite golden dragon takes over the role of evil incarnate. Aliens are first introduced into Godzilla's domain, sorta. The three-headed monster steals the show, and Godzilla comes off as a little pathetic for the first time.
Godzilla says I should learn to fight my own battles!

W2daERN
Monarch Researcher

Post by W2daERN »

This was one of the movies I watched most as a kid and is still one of my favorites. The only thing that I thought could have been better (other than godzilla's beam) was the music score during the big fight. There should have been some dramatic change in music when godzilla and rodan showed up to help.
My Fan Films:
Godzilla Awakening: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_GhDjsPvjY
Godzilla and Anguirus at the beach: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDiCIKCRxNk
Godzilla Alliance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onZBf8jGfKo