Talkback Thread #5: Ghidorah, the Three Headed Monster(1964)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
PitchBlackProgress
G-Force Lieutenant

Re: Talkback Thread #5: Ghidorah, the Three Headed Monster(1964)

Postby PitchBlackProgress » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:36 am

Godzillian wrote:
PitchBlackProgress wrote:Just how far do you think Naoko would go for a scoop?

Not as far as you're implying with the prophet

I wasn’t implying with the prophet ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
She seemed real friendly towards Professor Meri
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

miguelnuva
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby miguelnuva » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:55 am

KaijuCanuck wrote:
eabaker wrote:
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:You're not alone.

Weird. I always just figured he wanted to skreeonk her.

You’re all wrong. He wanted to have sex with her.

He was going to make sweet sweet love to her.

While Godzilla and Rodan watched.
Last edited by miguelnuva on Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
The one thing I want to see in life,TOHO buy Gamera.

Shadow Area 1-0

PitchBlackProgress
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby PitchBlackProgress » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:03 am

I’m not saying Selno would have let him tap it, I’m just saying Shindo looked at her a lil too endearingly towards the end, and he def drank himself to death later on for not saying something.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

Anguirus'BiggestFan
Ronin

Postby Anguirus'BiggestFan » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:49 pm

PitchBlackProgress wrote:I’m not saying Selno would have let him tap it, I’m just saying Shindo looked at her a lil too endearingly towards the end, and he def drank himself to death later on for not saying something.

I was thinking the same thing...
...but I think he asked to be put in a coffin filled with liquor after he died.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Postby Grievous » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:02 am

Okay...so to me this one is equal parts goofy & weird while also being important & legacy
defining.

I mean it is filled with many, MANY important moments for the franchise as a whole...but
the film itself feels uneven & silly.

I mean its better than Godzilla vs. Monster Zero...but still...its never really clicked for me.

The "Hollywood remake" should be interesting.
Last edited by Grievous on Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

Maritonic

Postby Maritonic » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:00 am

Anyone smarter than me know why they (officially) switched the rainbow design to gold?
Resized Image

All Hope Is Gone.

goji89 wrote:So.......are we gonna Kinkshame the skreeonking birds or what?

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Postby Grievous » Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:47 pm

Maritonic wrote:Anyone smarter than me know why they (officially) switched the rainbow design to gold?

Ghidorah decided to stay in the closet?

:P

Terasawa
G-Grasper

Postby Terasawa » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:05 pm

Maritonic wrote:Anyone smarter than me know why they (officially) switched the rainbow design to gold?

From the "Kaiju Guide" for the PlayStation Godzilla game: "The original King Ghidorah was a full-body costume at first, with a blue body and iridescent wings. However, some of the crew mistakenly thought it was supposed to be golden, and special-effects director Eiji Tsuburaya liked the idea so much he gave the word, having the crew change the color right before filming. As the arch-enemy of Godzilla, King Ghidorah had a costume that required 25 people to operate its three heads and two tails."

canofhumdingers
Samurai

Postby canofhumdingers » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:00 am

I don’t remember the source, but I remember reading somewhere that the original red white and blue space demon was intended as a not-so-subtle commentary about the western style capitalism that had taken the country by storm during and after the U.S. occupation. The change to gold was meant to make it a less on-the-nose and more generic dig at the same greed inspired by the new-style capitalism.

But since I have no reference at the moment, I wouldn’t take that as God-given fact. It’s just what I remember.

Crazy Jim Films
Yin-Yang Master

Postby Crazy Jim Films » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:57 am

Grievous wrote:Okay...so to me this one is equal parts goofy & weird while also being important & legacy
defining.

I mean it is filled with many, MANY important moments for the franchise as a whole...but

I thought it did a good job of balancing the tone. The series was clearly going in a far lighter, more sci-fi/fantasy direction. The talking monsters and alien prophetess stuff is certainly a drastic shift from the somber tone of the '54 original but I have almost come to look at that as existing in a different universe altogether.

I have, however, always wondered how all the families of the people Godzilla killed on that ship, feel about him now getting a hero's ovation.
Check out the trailer for my debut feature film, "The Angry World of Brian Webster".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPaRxruc2oo&t=17s
https://www.facebook.com/angryworld2014

eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby eabaker » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:08 am

Crazy Jim Films wrote:
Grievous wrote:Okay...so to me this one is equal parts goofy & weird while also being important & legacy
defining.

I thought it did a good job of balancing the tone. The series was clearly going in a far lighter, more sci-fi/fantasy direction. The talking monsters and alien prophetess stuff is certainly a drastic shift from the somber tone of the '54 original but I have almost come to look at that as existing in a different universe altogether.

I have, however, always wondered how all the families of the people Godzilla killed on that ship, feel about him now getting a hero's ovation.

It's very much a transitional movie within the franchise/genre, and as such it features some pretty distinct juxtapositions. It works for me, but that's in part because, well, I just love a weird juxtaposition. Godzilla as villain and Godzilla as hero are both pretty great, but there's a special pleasure for me in a movie that goes for both, and throws in a little "Godzilla as petulant child" as a transition.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

MechaGoji Bro7503
E.S.P.Spy

Postby MechaGoji Bro7503 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:46 pm

"Oh Godzilla what terrible language" is the greatest line in the franchise.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

Dv-218 wrote:This is so sad, Alexa play "Bio-Wars".

Dr. Professor wrote:If I had a dollar for every "SAVE MOTHRA" joke, I'd be able to buy Legendary Pictures, renew the license for Godzilla, acquire the rights to the rest of the Toho monsters, and make a Godzilla film that totally bombs without even putting a dent in my bank account.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Postby Grievous » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:53 pm

eabaker wrote:It's very much a transitional movie within the franchise/genre, and as such it features some pretty distinct juxtapositions. It works for me, but that's in part because, well, I just love a weird juxtaposition. Godzilla as villain and Godzilla as hero are both pretty great, but there's a special pleasure for me in a movie that goes for both, and throws in a little "Godzilla as petulant child" as a transition.

That's a fair call...but for me its the "tone shifts" that kind of kill it.

Its like I can handle a Godzilla film if its serious OR goofy...just not
when they try & do both in the same film.
Last edited by Grievous on Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

edgaguirus
E.S.P.Spy

Postby edgaguirus » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:05 pm

I felt it was done pretty well in the film. We see Godzilla as his traditional role of walking disaster, and even after Mothra's speech, he still turns his back on man. Only after seeing the overmatched Mothra bravely go to fight, does Godzilla get shamed into joining the fight. I feel Godzilla only joined the fight because his ego was bruised, and that seems a realistic and convincing reason to see him turn hero.
Kaiju are just like people- giant, radioactive people.

Megalon went into a bar and saw Gigan. Megalon said, " Again? I thought you gave this up."
" What can I say," Gigan asked. " I'm hooked."

PitchBlackProgress
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby PitchBlackProgress » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:46 am

Really? I didn’t get that feeling at all, if anything I think Godzilla was curious to watch if Mothra really could defeat Ghidorah on his (her?) own, saw how outmatched she truly was and Godzilla decided to go whip up on the “big bully”.

It always thought Godzilla acted/looked offended when he sees Mothra hurled into the air with that gravity beam.
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
#slatternking

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Postby Grievous » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:31 am

PitchBlackProgress wrote:It always thought Godzilla acted/looked offended when he sees Mothra hurled into the air with that gravity beam.

I always thought it was Godzilla being like "Alright! Someone else to wail on! Hey Rodan...lets punch this guy in his multiple faces!"

Dr. Professor
EDF Soldier

Postby Dr. Professor » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:06 pm

PitchBlackProgress wrote:It always thought Godzilla acted/looked offended when he sees Mothra hurled into the air with that gravity beam.

I always saw it like that too. Like he saw Mothra get hurt and just went "NOT ON MY WATCH, YOU PIECE OF poop!"
Resized Image

miguelnuva
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby miguelnuva » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:36 pm

To me it was Godzilla and Rodan respecting Mothra trying to fight and after seeing how out matched she was they just said skreeonk it.

Its like how in every film where the brave person stands up to a fight they know that can't win and then finally the power shows up to even the fight.
The one thing I want to see in life,TOHO buy Gamera.

Shadow Area 1-0

PitchBlackProgress
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby PitchBlackProgress » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:56 pm

Ok, I’m watching this right now and this is exactly how the scene plays out-

Mothra intervenes during Godzilla and Rodan’s fight and asks the two to join her in battle, Rodan and Godzilla essentially tell Mothra to “skreeonk off” and she says “fine, I’ll fight Ghidorah by myself”.
Godzilla and Rodan watch in confusion/disbelief as she makes her way to Ghidorah.
Mothra attempts to fight, but gets hurled into the air twice before Godzilla comes over to curiously inspect the battle, sees Mothra get launched into the air and becomes visibly enraged by this and decides to charge into battle.

Seems to me like watching Mothra get whipped up on by a bigger guy really pissed Godzilla off and that’s what sent him into “go mode”.
#slatternking

Maritonic

Postby Maritonic » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:51 am

PitchBlackProgress wrote:Ok, I’m watching this right now and this is exactly how the scene plays out-

Mothra intervenes during Godzilla and Rodan’s fight and asks the two to join her in battle, Rodan and Godzilla essentially tell Mothra to “skreeonk off” and she says “fine, I’ll fight Ghidorah by myself”.
Godzilla and Rodan watch in confusion/disbelief as she makes her way to Ghidorah.
Mothra attempts to fight, but gets hurled into the air twice before Godzilla comes over to curiously inspect the battle, sees Mothra get launched into the air and becomes visibly enraged by this and decides to charge into battle.

Seems to me like watching Mothra get whipped up on by a bigger guy really pissed Godzilla off and that’s what sent him into “go mode”.

Yup, this is how I saw it completely. Their confusion/disbelief being a mix of "you realize Ghidorah will skreeonk you up right?" and "Why would you bother helping the humans?". But yeah I never saw this as a respect thing, more of a monster 5x in size stomping on little guy pissed Godzilla off.
Resized Image

All Hope Is Gone.

goji89 wrote:So.......are we gonna Kinkshame the skreeonking birds or what?

Return to “Showa Series (1930's-1970's)”