Favourite Non-Godzilla Tokusatsu Kaiju movie

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.

Favorite Showa Tokusatsu film that doesn't have the Big G

Rodan
27%
The Mysterians
No votes
Varan
4%
Mothra
31%
Gorath
4%
Atragon
No votes
Dogora
No votes
Frankenstein vs Baragon
15%
War of the Gargantuas
8%
King Kong Escapes
8%
Space Amoeba
4%

Total votes: 26

JAGzilla
Sazer

Re: Favourite Non-Godzilla Tokusatsu Kaiju movie

Post by JAGzilla »

I've only seen four of these, so I'll default to the only one I've seen several times, Rodan. I haven't seen it since 2011, but as of then I loved the Meganula sequence and was somewhat bored with the actual Rodan content, though the spectacular suit and some highly impressive shots during the Fukuoka attack elevate it.

Mothra I've only seen twice, last in about 2013. Pretty sure I came out of it impressed, but it didn't stick with me especially well. Will be giving it another try soonish.

WOTG I've seen once. It was okay. I think I was a bit disappointed, but I'd built up high expectations for years, so that may not have been the movie's fault.

And then my lone viewing of Space Amoeba is still pretty fresh in my mind, but of course it's just Space Amoeba. Decently fun, but not exactly fine art.

I have the King Kong Escapes Blu-ray en route from Amazon, and will be watching it in a week or so, looking forward to that. Varan the Unbelievable I've had available on Amazon for years, but haven't gotten to it yet for some reason. FCTW I've never had a ton of interest in, but all this praise is changing that. The others are all on my list of things to watch before I die, too.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Crazy Jim Films
Monarch Researcher

Re: Favourite Non-Godzilla Tokusatsu Kaiju movie

Post by Crazy Jim Films »

I'll go with Rodan just slightly over War of the Gargantuas then King Kong Escapes.
Check out the PG version of my short film, "Destroy All Sisters".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNVCmLaqznA&t=1s