Is the 2nd Showa Godzilla the older brother?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
LSD Jellyfish
E.S.P.Spy

Is the 2nd Showa Godzilla the older brother?

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:02 pm

I’m currently reading, and sortve translating an older Godzilla manga, that is a particularly humorous take on GRA. It features a monster named Gyotsu and other strange monsters in addition to Angurius and Godzilla.

Anyways, while reading it, there’s a rather humorous part where Godzilla tells Angurius and Gyotsu, that “Hey, I’m busy now. Leave me alone, because I’m off to take revenge on japan for my younger brother”. The implication here, is that the Godzilla in this manga, is the older brother to the 1954 Godzilla. Obviously, this manga is non cannon, and clearly a parody of GRA. However, I was wondering if there’s any other references to the second showa Godzilla being 54’s older brother, or if it’s just a joke.
Then, everything changed when the Giant Condor became the Giant Eagle.

Rhedosaurus
Interpol Agent

Re: Is the 2nd Showa Godzilla the older brother?

Postby Rhedosaurus » Thu May 02, 2019 8:18 am

I always thought that the Showa Godzilla was the brother of the first one myself.

Ivo-goji
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Ivo-goji » Thu May 02, 2019 8:21 am

Odd that the first one introduced would be the younger brother.

At least neither of them are girls and Minilla isn't their baby.
Resized Image

Kaiju-King42 wrote:Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

King of the Monsters
Yin-Yang Master

Postby King of the Monsters » Thu May 02, 2019 9:20 pm

I don't know of any official source that comments on any relationship between the Showa Godzillas outside of both originating from the same species, which is generally the only connection given between different incarnations of Godzilla or between Godzilla and his adopted sons. We know the 1954 Godzilla lived with a family of his kind and was supposedly the only one to survive the H-bomb, but I suppose one could interpret that the second Godzilla was part of the family who happened to survive the explosion as well.

The closest thing we have to a relationship between Godzilla incarnations is Shogo Tomiyama and Masaaki Tezuka acknowledging the interpretation that Kiryu is the 2002-2003 Godzilla's father as valid, albeit not necessarily canon.
Bureaucrat on Wikizilla. No, not the site on Wikia.

Rhedosaurus
Interpol Agent

Postby Rhedosaurus » Fri May 03, 2019 2:49 am

Ivo-goji wrote:Odd that the first one introduced would be the younger brother.

I remember hearing a rumor on a Godzilla FB group that the first one was female, but all the rest were males. But since nobody knew where that rumor came from, that was discarded as something that was made up.

Monster Zero
EDF Soldier

Postby Monster Zero » Sat May 04, 2019 9:57 am

Rhedosaurus wrote:

I remember hearing a rumor on a Godzilla FB group that the first one was female, but all the rest were males. But since nobody knew where that rumor came from, that was discarded as something that was made up.

I think Nakajima said something once about how he thought that the second Godzilla was a female.
Resized Image
Hey You! Do you like Comics?! Me too! Which is why I Partnered With my Best Friend to Create a Comic that we Love to Make! It's Called "Roomies!"
https://tapas.io/series/RoomiesofGuyCity
Please Check it Out if You're Interested!
And here's the official Twitter page! Give us a follow for updates, please!
https://twitter.com/RoomiesComic

LSD Jellyfish
E.S.P.Spy

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Sat May 04, 2019 9:50 pm

Many of the films refer to the second Godzilla as a male so it’s sortve conclusive. The question I have is that if anyone can find any other sources, related to the showa Godzilla, that refers to Showa Godzilla as the younger brother, or it this is just made up by the whimsical non cannon manga.
Then, everything changed when the Giant Condor became the Giant Eagle.

miguelnuva
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby miguelnuva » Mon May 06, 2019 1:03 am

I always felt Showa Godzilla was the younger brother and 54 was the Alpha of the group and Minya's father. Showa Godzilla's stroy arc is forgiving those who killed his brother, becoming their savior, adopting his nephew and then being Alpha in his own right but of all Earth monsters versus a tribe of Godzilla.
The one thing I want to see in life,TOHO buy Gamera.

Shadow Area 1-0

Rhedosaurus
Interpol Agent

Postby Rhedosaurus » Mon May 06, 2019 2:48 am

Monster Zero wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:

I think Nakajima said something once about how he thought that the second Godzilla was a female.

But even then, that rumor has never been confirmed and we don't know when it was said, so that's largely discredited.

AllosaurHell
Ronin

Postby AllosaurHell » Tue May 07, 2019 12:38 pm

I like to think that Showa Godzilla is definitely his brother, it's always been that way in my head canon.
"I guess one person can make a difference, nuff said."
- Stan Lee from his cameo in Spider-Man 3.

"If you make yourself more than just a man, if you devote yourself to an ideal and if they can't stop you, you become something else entirely - legend, Mr Wayne."
- Henri Ducard from Batman Begins.

"Listen, it's a free country. It's not rent-free country."
- Mr. Ditkovich from Spider-Man 3.

Return to “Showa Series (1930's-1970's)”