Godzilla Power Hour. [1978-1979]

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
tyrantgoji
G-Force Lieutenant

Godzilla Power Hour. [1978-1979]

Postby tyrantgoji » Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:54 pm

well, the 90's series got a thread, why can't this show?

i think this one is OK, sometimes it comes up with really good ideas, but other times it feels so dull i just wanna bash my head on the desk. Though i will admit, it did come up with some really unique monsters when they weren't just making giant versions of normal animals. Axor is still my favorite.

what do you think of this one?

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Re: Godzilla Power Hour. [1978-1979]

Postby MikeSTZillak » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:08 pm

It was definitely fun. Wish I could find good quality versions of episodes 9-13 of the first season.

Resized Image

#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Postby cloverfan98 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:19 pm

Not my cup of tea personally but a really influential series. The 90's show was clearly based on this show and it helped introduce a lot of people to the character for the first time.

Terasawa
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Terasawa » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:32 pm

I think it's pretty bad. The limited animation and dull characters (and Godzooky!) really hurt it unless you happen to be right in its target audience or have a lot of nostalgia for it. I don't, unfortunately: I knew about it for a long time but wasn't able to see any episodes until I was a teen.

I do kinda like the dumb "just a big green dinosaur that spits fire" style of Godzilla we saw here and in the Marvel comic that was published at the same time. It's not very true to the character but it's nostalgic. This was the kind of Godzilla I usually drew with my limited artistic abilities as a kid, maybe that's why I like it.

The HG Toys Godzilla from the same era is a more realistic version of the same style and a nostalgic favorite as well.

Last edited by Terasawa on Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-- 寺沢 --
YouTube
Save All Dubs

tbeasley
JXSDF Technician

Postby tbeasley » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:22 pm

^ The William Stout design also has that same vibe going on.

I grew up with reruns of this and the later Showa era films so Godzilla was very much my hero growing up. I think it's one of the big reasons the character had such a long-lasting impact on me. The HB series is simple but there's something to that formula other shows like Space Ghost and Herculoids had that tapped into everything I liked as a kid and never really grew out of - superheroes, monsters, aliens, weird pulpy stuff in general.
~ Tyler

Exterminate all rational thought.

JAGzilla
Kwaidan

Postby JAGzilla » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:40 pm

The best part of this show is Godzilla's 'roar'. It's literally just a guy yelling "RAARRRR!" :lol: I rewatched the Earth Eater Episode a few years ago, the first episode I'd seen in about twenty years, and oh my God. The first time he popped up on screen and roared, I laughed so hard I threw up.

Living Corpse
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby Living Corpse » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:30 am

This is the one where he has laser eyes for some reason right?

And the "sound effect" for his roar is literally some guy just saying "roar".

GojiDog
JXSDF Technician

Postby GojiDog » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:54 am

I liked the show as a kid.

When I was younger, being a Godzilla fan in the states kind of sucked. There wasn't a lot of merchandise, the video games were not great, the brand didn't get much respect, and some of the movies were hard to track down. The most fun I had as a G-fan was scanning the TV guide in hopes of finding out when these movies would be on.

Nowadays, it isn't so bad. Godzilla has his own big budget Hollywood series going on, all the Japanese films have been made available to US audiences (except for the Japanese version of King Kong Vs. Godzilla...come on Universal, get with the program), and we've had comics, video games, toys, and a more consistent presence for Godzilla, at least moreso than what we were getting back in my youth. And we have the internet and a community of fans to keep up to date on all Godzilla news.

But back then? Whoa was it bad. You just had to take what you were given and be happy with it, especially as a kid. How many foreign film kiosks or cons do you think I was going to at 6 years old? None is the answer to that question.

So when I discovered the Hanna Barbera cartoon, I was ecstatic because it was more Godzilla material for me to consume. It gave me what I was starved for.

And as a young kid, the show worked in that it gave me what I wanted: Godzilla fighting a weird and new monster every episode. Some of the monsters were they came up with were pretty cool. The Gold Guardians, Axor, The Magnetic Terror, and a few others were pretty neat, and monsters like the Fire Bird and Earth Eater reminded me of Toho stars Rodan and Baragon respectively. Also, MicroGodzilla deserves recognition for being a really neat Godzilla story. I got a kick out of Godzilla being the hero in this show too. At that age, I was watching shows like He-Man, Thundercats, GI Joe, Transformers, Ninja Turtles, and The Superfriends, and the heroes of those shows were like role models to me, so it was cool to have Godzilla in that same class of animated heroes.

Godzilla having laser eyes? Eh, not my cup of tea, and I would have preferred it if they used the classic roar instead of just having Lurch from the Addams Family growl, but again, I was starved for Godzilla content and I was going to take what I could get.

The human cast of characters are very basic monster movie stand in characters, so I guess they kind of fit. I could have done without Pete the kid, but everyone else is fine for what their roles are in the show.

One thing I can not forgive however is Godzuki (Okay, is it Godzuki or Godzooky? I never got confirmation on that...should I even care?). HB cartoons had a knack for creating very annoying and cutesy comedy relief characters, the most infamous of which being Scrappy Doo. However, I would argue that Scrappy has got nothing this fat winged piece of garbage. Everything you need to know about how bad Godzuki is in the intro. The intro to the show is AWESOME and captures the appropriate scale for Godzilla...and then Godzuki flies in and ruins it.

Faults aside, I'll gladly defend this show for as it helped fill a void at a time when being a Godzilla fan state side wasn't all it was cracked up to be.
Last edited by GojiDog on Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

mikelcho
Interpol Agent

Postby mikelcho » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:01 pm

Two corrections here.

First, GojiDog, his name was Godzooky and in case you don't know, he was Godzilla's nephew.

Second, tyrantgoji, the show ran from 1978-1980 and had 26 episodes (13 in 1978-79 and 13 in 1979-80).

Third, I think that I saw or heard somewhere (I don't know and can't remember where; maybe it was here) that Minilla was supposed to be on the show, but since H-B couldn't afford him, they created Godzooky instead. Take this with a grain of salt, however.

Just sayin'.
Last edited by mikelcho on Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

tyrantgoji
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby tyrantgoji » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:47 pm

mikelcho wrote:Two corrections here.

First, GojiDog, his name was Godzooky and in case you don't know, he was Godzilla's nephew.

Second, tyrantgoji, the show ran from 1978-1980 and had 26 episodes (13 in 1978-79 and 13 in 1979-80).

Third, I think that I saw or heard somewhere (I don't know and can't remember where; maybe it was here) that Minilla was supposed to be on the show, but since H-B couldn't afford him, they created Godzooky instead. Take this with a grain of salt, however.

Just sayin'.

thanks for that bit of info, wish i could update the title.
Last edited by tyrantgoji on Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Terasawa
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Terasawa » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:05 pm

Just sayin'.

The final episode aired December 1979 (Wikipedia gives December 8) and continued in reruns on NBC up to September 5, 1981, so it would be correct to say the show's run was 1978-1979.

"Godzooky" appears to be the correct spelling, but he was part of the picture from the beginning (not replacing any other character, Minya or otherwise), as Joseph Barbera himself said in Japan's Favorite Mon-Star:

Joseph Barbera wrote:...there was an executive at the network who wanted to get into the act, and urged us to lighten the story line up. So, I came up with the character Godzooky...

Maybe you're mixing that up with the idea that Barbera "originally wanted to do Godzilla more or less as a straight adaptation of the movie series," as Steve Ryfle put it. That was squashed when the Standards & Practices division got involved and forbade any city smashing, death, and destruction.

Mon-Star is the best source of information on this series that I've ever come across, even if it's limited to three pages (one of which is just the broadcast schedule with brief episode descriptions). As I said in my previous post, this series is no favorite, but it was part of an interesting era for Godzilla in the U.S.
Last edited by Terasawa on Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-- 寺沢 --
YouTube
Save All Dubs

tbeasley
JXSDF Technician

Postby tbeasley » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:55 pm

Living Corpse wrote:This is the one where he has laser eyes for some reason right?

After Shin and the Anime I guess that's not as weird anymore.
~ Tyler

Exterminate all rational thought.

mikelcho
Interpol Agent

Postby mikelcho » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:46 am

Terasawa wrote:

Just sayin'.

The final episode aired December 1979 (Wikipedia gives December 8) and continued in reruns on NBC up to September 5, 1981, so it would be correct to say the show's run was 1978-1979.

"Godzooky" appears to be the correct spelling, but he was part of the picture from the beginning (not replacing any other character, Minya or otherwise), as Joseph Barbera himself said in Japan's Favorite Mon-Star:

Joseph Barbera wrote:...there was an executive at the network who wanted to get into the act, and urged us to lighten the story line up. So, I came up with the character Godzooky...

Maybe you're mixing that up with the idea that Barbera "originally wanted to do Godzilla more or less as a straight adaptation of the movie series," as Steve Ryfle put it. That was squashed when the Standards & Practices division got involved and forbade any city smashing, death, and destruction.

Mon-Star is the best source of information on this series that I've ever come across, even if it's limited to three pages (one of which is just the broadcast schedule with brief episode descriptions). As I said in my previous post, this series is no favorite, but it was part of an interesting era for Godzilla in the U.S.
Thanks for the information.

I was going by season time (as shown above), so thanks again for that (by season time, I meant the 1978-79 season and the 1979-80 season).

Thanks also for saying that I was wrong about Minilla, too. I could've sworn that I saw that somewhere.

I did enjoy the show when it was on (it was, I think, kinda-sorta like one of the last action shows that H-B made, like Jonny Quest, Space Ghost and Dino Boy, The Herculoids, etc.) and I wish that we could have a re-release of the three volumes of Season 1 (for reasonable prices) and maybe Season 2 in three more volumes, or maybe even a complete first season (with the 13 Jana of the Jungle episodes included) and complete second season release (DreamWorks, are you even listening out there?)
Last edited by mikelcho on Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:54 am, edited 4 times in total.

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Postby Rhedosaurus » Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:26 pm

I liked the 1990's show better. But I saw this on Cartoon Network back when it was on. It was fun. It really kept the tone of the zaniness of the Showa series.

By the way, is it out on DVD yet?

UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby UltramanGoji » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:08 pm

Rhedosaurus wrote:

Season 1 has been out for years on a set of three volumes which are now OOP.

Season 2 has never been released.

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Postby MikeSTZillak » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:43 pm

UltramanGoji wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:

Season 1 has been out for years on a set of three volumes which are now OOP.

Season 2 has never been released.

Season 1 is also available on Amazon Video.

Resized Image

#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

Terasawa
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Terasawa » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:56 pm

Not only did Classic Media never release season 2, they never even licensed it from Toho, possibly because the license was expensive and they were unsure if it would sell well. Those episodes haven't been seen since Boomerang last aired them more than 15 years ago.
-- 寺沢 --
YouTube
Save All Dubs

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Keizer

Postby Tyrant_Lizard_King » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:11 pm

TNT's Presidents Day Godzilla-rama was my first exposure to the series. I never even knew it existed before then. The only thing that really annoyed me was how Godzilla was constantly captured or frozen or something until the end. Still it did help Godzilla breaking free and bringing the beatdown all the more satisfying when it happened. My personal favorites are the valley of giant bugs episode and the one with the Red Bamboo-esque terrorist group. It was after all the only time we ever actually got to see Godzilla fight a militia in the series.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Postby Rhedosaurus » Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:23 pm

Terasawa wrote:Not only did Classic Media never release season 2, they never even licensed it from Toho, possibly because the license was expensive and they were unsure if it would sell well. Those episodes haven't been seen since Boomerang last aired them more than 15 years ago.

Was it really THAT expensive just to get the first season?! :shock:

Terasawa
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Terasawa » Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:42 pm

Rhedosaurus wrote:
Terasawa wrote:Not only did Classic Media never release season 2, they never even licensed it from Toho, possibly because the license was expensive and they were unsure if it would sell well. Those episodes haven't been seen since Boomerang last aired them more than 15 years ago.

Was it really THAT expensive just to get the first season?! :shock:

I don't actually know, it's just speculation based on what I've heard about Toho's licensing practices.
-- 寺沢 --
YouTube
Save All Dubs

Return to “Showa Series (1930's-1970's)”