What If Toho Was Able To Use King Kong Again Post 62?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
_JNavs_
Keizer

Re: What If Toho Was Able To Use King Kong Again Post 62?

Post by _JNavs_ »

Terasawa wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:Both lol, but mainly I was thinking, Jet was a kids drawing brought to life from a contest right? Could it be possible that they originally had Kong lined up, but since the license couldn't be agreed to they decided to get a contest going?
There has never been any evidence that suggests that was ever a possibility. No English sources, no Japanese sources, nothing.
I only said likely because I think he'd fit well in that film in the place of Jet. I probably could've worded it better.

I also said "Could it be possible" as a question. Not a statement.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

_JNavs_ wrote:I also said "Could it be possible" as a question.
And you got an answer.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

And I answered it.

It's technically possible that Kong could have been considered for any Godzilla movie from 1963 to 19XX but it's unreasonable to think his character was ever seriously considered, at least after King Kong Escapes and Destroy All Monsters (apparently the last time Toho considered the character in the Showa era, dubious source).
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Smuggers wrote:
And you got an answer.
Thanks Smug, can always count on you ;)

Added in 57 seconds:
Terasawa wrote:
And I answered it.

It's technically possible that Kong could have been considered for any Godzilla movie from 1963 to 19XX but it's unreasonable to think his character was ever seriously considered, at least after King Kong Escapes and Destroy All Monsters (apparently the last time Toho considered the character in the Showa era, dubious source).
Would've liked to see a Heisei era GvK

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

_JNavs_ wrote:Would've liked to see a Heisei era GvK
What kind of beam would they give Kong? ;)
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Smuggers wrote:
Electric lightening thunder handbeams of course what kinda question is that

The entire film is just one big beam spam ending with them falling backwards into the ocean
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

I wonder what kind of character arc Kong would have if he were in the Heisei era.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:I wonder what kind of character arc Kong would have if he were in the Heisei era.
Probably one brought to life with the bast speshal effecks evar!!1!!!one!!
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:I wonder what kind of character arc Kong would have if he were in the Heisei era.
Easy. Kong was a normal gorilla, or even a gorilla found in skull island, until he was expiremented with by an evil doctor who injected him with G Cells! He grows, escapes captivity, and pursues the female doctor/nurse that protected and took care of him. When Godzilla inadvertently attacks and kills the lady Kong goes on a rampage and fights Godzilla.

Unfortunately there’s only so much you can do with Kong.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
Easy. Kong was a normal gorilla, or even a gorilla found in skull island, until he was expiremented with by an evil doctor who injected him with G Cells! He grows, escapes captivity, and pursues the female doctor/nurse that protected and took care of him. When Godzilla inadvertently attacks and kills the lady Kong goes on a rampage and fights Godzilla.

He was being sarcastic because some people actually believe Godzilla Jr had a character arc.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:

He was being sarcastic because some people actually believe Godzilla Jr had a character arc.
Aka me because Jr actually went through skreeonk and I had said it was a "character" arc.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

_JNavs_ wrote:
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: He was being sarcastic because some people actually believe Godzilla Jr had a character arc.
Aka me because Jr actually went through skreeonk and I had said it was a "character" arc.
Oh, I'm not taking a jab at you or anything. Just clearing it up.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: He was being sarcastic because some people actually believe Godzilla Jr had a character arc.
Oh, I'm not taking a jab at you or anything. Just clearing it up.
Oh yeah I know lol, I just know ever since I said that GojiNWatch has had a vendetta lmao

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I answer sarcastic questions seriously; oh no the horror. The point is that Kong’s on history is limiting.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

Would have been neat had they gone through with it. I especially wonder how a Heisei-era Kong suit would have looked, or if it would have been a worthy successor to the original KKvG or not.

Is there any reason to believe that Universal would have let them go through with it had Toho known Turner didn’t have the rights to Kong?
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

LSD Jellyfish wrote:I answer sarcastic questions seriously; oh no the horror. The point is that Kong’s on history is limiting.
I wasn't disagreeing with that. :D

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Smuggers wrote:
I believe that has been answered by our very own Chris55

"Kong would fling poop so fast it would turn into a beam".
Last edited by goji89 on Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

KingKong2005
EDF Instructor

Post by KingKong2005 »

I think we can all picture a longer arm, buffer, longer face 1976 design for King Kong in the Heisei series, but HOW do you think he'd look in the Showa series if he came back for say either a Jet Jaguar replacement or being in DAM? By the way, not saying there is any evidence he was legit considered for either films, it's just fun speculation.

How do you think he'd look if he replaced Godzilla in Godzilla's Vs The Sea Monster? Literal King Kong Escapes suit?

Another one, but could someone clarify about the recently uncovered evidence that Toho was screwed over due to King Kong's title and design being in Public Domain, meaning they could have used him? Something like that recently came up, not sure if you guys have heard of it or I'm just being crazy.
Image Image

Poe Ghostal
JXSDF Technician

Post by Poe Ghostal »

UltramanGoji wrote:Alright, so it cites an article by August Ragone in an issue of Famous Monsters of Filmland...one that I happen to own actually. Ragone also mentions Ebirah and the Gargantuas being considered.

Honestly, it still reeks of bullshit to me. I’ve looked in Ragone’s own book as well as others and this article is the only place I’ve ever seen say that King Kong was considered for DAM.
John LeMay mentions it on page 171 of his Big Book of Japanese Giant Monster Movies 1954-1982 as well. He doesn’t cite his source though, so it could be the Ragone article or even the Wikipedia page for all I know.
Poe Ghostal's Points of Articulation - Toy news, reviews, & commentary

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

I don't own the first of LeMay's books, but I do own the Lost Films book and none of the DAM draft entries mention Kong.