What If Toho Was Able To Use King Kong Again Post 62?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
UltramanGoji

Re: What If Toho Was Able To Use King Kong Again Post 62?

Post by UltramanGoji »

mikelcho wrote:
Terasawa wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:None of the literary sources I've looked through say that. I'm calling bullshit.
Yep, Wikipedia is not good enough on this one, especially without a cited source. Friendly reminder that the Wikipedia entry for DAM once stated that a song and dance routine for Minya was cut from that film.
It's in the Legacy section of the article, footnote #16.
What are you talking about? There's no "Legacy" section on Destroy All Monsters' Wikipedia page nor does footnote #16 lead to anything about Kong.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

The reference that I previously mentioned-Legacy section, footnote #16-is in the King Kong Escapes Wikipedia article. Sorry if I wasn't too clear.
Last edited by mikelcho on Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Alright, so it cites an article by August Ragone in an issue of Famous Monsters of Filmland...one that I happen to own actually. Ragone also mentions Ebirah and the Gargantuas being considered.

Honestly, it still reeks of bullshit to me. I’ve looked in Ragone’s own book as well as others and this article is the only place I’ve ever seen say that King Kong was considered for DAM.

KingKong2005
EDF Instructor

Post by KingKong2005 »

Yeah i don't think Toho would consider King Kong if the knew the rights would revert after King Kong Escapes.
Image Image

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

UltramanGoji wrote:Alright, so it cites an article by August Ragone in an issue of Famous Monsters of Filmland...one that I happen to own actually. Ragone also mentions Ebirah and the Gargantuas being considered.

Honestly, it still reeks of bullshit to me. I’ve looked in Ragone’s own book as well as others and this article is the only place I’ve ever seen say that King Kong was considered for DAM.
Well, we all know that both Ebirah and Maguma were planned for DAM before they were replaced by Minilla, Anguirus and-at the very last minute-Gorosaurus. As for Sanda and Gaila, this is the first time that I've heard that both of them were considered. I knew from a recent article in G-Fan that Sanda had been considered, but I didn't even know about Gaila until now. Maybe they would've been the replacements for Kong if Kong couldn't have been used.
Last edited by mikelcho on Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:45 am, edited 4 times in total.

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

The only ones I've ever heard that were supposed to be in DAM but but didn't make the final cut were Ebirah and Maguma.

But man oh man, if the Gargantuas had gotten in there. Oh what could have been?!
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

There are many reasons why Kong was absent from DAM, I think. Perhaps the rights were just too expensive. Perhaps the suit was in too bad a condition to be used again (however, given a third attempt at making it, Eiji Tsuburaya might've succeeded in making it look better than the other two were (at least to most fans)). Or perhaps Toho felt that Monsterland wasn't big enough for two monster stars (in this case, King Kong and Godzilla). In any case, I guess we'll never know.
Last edited by mikelcho on Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:17 am, edited 5 times in total.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

mikelcho wrote:Perhaps the suit was in too bad a condition to be used again (however, given a third attempt at making it, Eiji Tsuburaya might've succeeded in making it look better than the other two were (at least to most fans)).
The Kong suit looked to be in OK condition by 1973-4 when he was used as "Gorilla" in Greenman, so I doubt it's condition little over a year after creation would have been deemed too bad to use.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

That Kong suit is so damn creepy..
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

_JNavs_ wrote:That Kong suit is so damn creepy..
Great with children though!
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

MaxRebo320 wrote:
omg :lol: :lol: :lol:

Why did all Japanese children actors wear those extremely short shorts?
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

_JNavs_ wrote:
MaxRebo320 wrote:

All children did in the 60's and 70's.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Maritonic wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:
MaxRebo320 wrote: Great with children though!

I really didn't see too many American children actors wear them as prominently though, like almost every early kaiju film with kids as the main characters wore them lol

Edit: Oh you mean like in general it was just what kids wore at the time?
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

_JNavs_ wrote:
Maritonic wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote: omg :lol: :lol: :lol:

I really didn't see too many American children actors wear them as prominently though, like almost every early kaiju film with kids as the main characters wore them lol

Edit: Oh you mean like in general it was just what kids wore at the time?
Yes, I meant it was just what children wore at the time.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

If Toho had been allowed to use Kong more than they did, I'm sure we would have gotten a Godzilla/Kong team up at some point.

In the 70s during Godzilla's superhero run, it would have been too hard to resist.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

GojiDog wrote:If Toho had been allowed to use Kong more than they did, I'm sure we would have gotten a Godzilla/Kong team up at some point.

In the 70s during Godzilla's superhero run, it would have been too hard to resist.
Kong likely would have replaced Jet Jaguar in Godzilla vs Megalon

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

_JNavs_ wrote:
GojiDog wrote:If Toho had been allowed to use Kong more than they did, I'm sure we would have gotten a Godzilla/Kong team up at some point.

How do you figure that? Or is that just a joke referring to the German version where Jet Jaguar is named "King Kong?"
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Terasawa wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:

How do you figure that? Or is that just a joke referring to the German version where Jet Jaguar is named "King Kong?"
Both lol, but mainly I was thinking, Jet was a kids drawing brought to life from a contest right? Could it be possible that they originally had Kong lined up, but since the license couldn't be agreed to they decided to get a contest going?

I only said likely because I think he'd fit well in that film in the place of Jet. I probably could've worded it better.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

mikelcho wrote:There are many reasons why Kong was absent from DAM, I think. Perhaps the rights were just too expensive.
You have your answer right there. Toho didn't want to pay that much money for one kaiju.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

_JNavs_ wrote:Both lol, but mainly I was thinking, Jet was a kids drawing brought to life from a contest right? Could it be possible that they originally had Kong lined up, but since the license couldn't be agreed to they decided to get a contest going?
There has never been any evidence that suggests that was ever a possibility. No English sources, no Japanese sources, nothing.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.