What If Toho Was Able To Use King Kong Again Post 62?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
The Octopus
G-Grasper

Re: What If Toho Was Able To Use King Kong Again Post 62?

Post by The Octopus »

Ragone mentioned this a couple of years ago on the CHFB. I think he came across the info in some Japanese periodical. This was after his book was already published and before he wrote the FMOF article.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Bear in mind that the term “considered for” is vague and useless at best. Is it that some of the producers over beers said,”hey wouldn’t it be cool if we had X monster in a movie?” And sortve never went beyond that? Is it that concept art was made, or there was a version of the script that had said monster? Did Tanaka or someone propose something formally? I say unless it moves beyond the proposal stage in any capacity it’s sortve worthless debating what could have been. I garuntee you that for each showa film there’s dozens of unused monsters or monsters shifted around that we haven’t heard of but exist only being mentioned.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Dr. Professor wrote:I think it would've been really cool to see Godzilla and King Kong become allies. But hopefully Toho would've eventually made a better Kong suit. :lol:
Yeah, was a shame he couldn't be in Destroy All Monsters. But then again that might be why a relativly unknown C lister like Gorosauras had his moment to shine where he helped kill King Ghidorah.

Poe Ghostal
JXSDF Technician

Post by Poe Ghostal »

Gorosaurus was in DAM, so I'm sure if Toho could have put King Kong in it they would have. But the rights expired. I'm sure the idea of putting Kong in there was considered or would have been considered if they had the rights.

The only real question is whether the Kong rights and the plans for DAM overlapped enough for there to be some concept art or production notes or something.
Poe Ghostal's Points of Articulation - Toy news, reviews, & commentary

KingKong2005
EDF Instructor

Post by KingKong2005 »

Do you guys think King Kong would have kept his electricity powers in DAM? How much damage would he take/inflict upon King Ghidorah in the final battle?
Image Image

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

I think Godzilla would have stayed a Villain or anti-hero at best. I could see Kong being Monster Zero One and Godzilla Monster Zero Two in IOAM and of course Kong would headline DAM.

The biggest change here is we would have Gotten Godzilla vs King Kong in 91.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I agree with G vs KK 91.

However, I don't think Kong would have shadowed over Godzilla. Godzilla was Toho's baby and they would have likely kept him the star rather than an American monster. As for DAM, I could see Kong taking the place of Gorosaurus. Kong gets behind KG and shocks him, and this allows the other monsters to move in and take KG down.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

KingKong2005
EDF Instructor

Post by KingKong2005 »

edgaguirus wrote:As for DAM, I could see Kong taking the place of Gorosaurus. Kong gets behind KG and shocks him, and this allows the other monsters to move in and take KG down.
Kong holding Ghidorah's tails in place as he shocks them while the other monsters work their magic is total erection.

Y'all think the 1962 suit would be used again for DAM or would there have been a new suit entirely? I would hate the 67 suit being used, 62 suit woulda looked awesome in that crowd.
Image Image

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Absolutely not. The 1968 Godzilla suit was rotting by 1972, there's no way the 1962 Kong suit would have survived that long and looked just as good (well, as good as it could look anyway).

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Also considering the fact the 62 suit was salvaged for certain scenes (Most notably the fight between Kong and the sea serpent), no. Unless you would have been cool with a scummy-looking suit with an abnormally large head. Who knows if they would have been keen enough on the 67 suit to keep using it (It was certainly in good enough condition), or make another new suit (Like in the case with Godzilla).
Last edited by MaxRebo320 on Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

MaxRebo320 wrote:Also considering the fact the 62 suit was salvaged for certain scenes (Most notably the fight between Kong and the sea serpent), no.
Almost forgot that it was used for the Ultra Q monster Goro as well. If Baragon couldn't be salvageable post-Ultraman, I doubt Kong would've.

AllosaurHell
Monarch Researcher

Post by AllosaurHell »

I would have loved to have seen more Toho Kong, I think King Kong Escapes is underrated and seeing the King Kong from that movie interact with DAM Godzilla would be so epic to me. I also think Godzilla and Kong would have become friends and hell, maybe he would have assisted Anguirus and Godzilla in Godzilla vs Gigan, just a cool thought that came to my head so of course it's just wishful thinking.
A maker of fun cartoons and puppets for everyone's entertainment on my YouTube channel "Allosaur House"
Your local stan of Lone Wolf Baron Corbin, Shin Godzilla and Dinosaur enthusiast and Mexican young adult that lives in Canada.

You can find me elsewhere here: https://linktr.ee/AllosaurHouse

KingKong2005
EDF Instructor

Post by KingKong2005 »

AllosaurHell wrote:I would have loved to have seen more Toho Kong, I think King Kong Escapes is underrated and seeing the King Kong from that movie interact with DAM Godzilla would be so epic to me. I also think Godzilla and Kong would have become friends and hell, maybe he would have assisted Anguirus and Godzilla in Godzilla vs Gigan, just a cool thought that came to my head so of course it's just wishful thinking.
Not to mention how smart that particular version of King Kong was! Creating stone steps for himself and shiit! I have a thing for '62 Kong, seeing that one interact with Godzilla as a teammate would be rad!
Image Image

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

KingKong2005 wrote:
edgaguirus wrote:As for DAM, I could see Kong taking the place of Gorosaurus. Kong gets behind KG and shocks him, and this allows the other monsters to move in and take KG down.
Kong holding Ghidorah's tails in place as he shocks them while the other monsters work their magic is total erection.

Y'all think the 1962 suit would be used again for DAM or would there have been a new suit entirely? I would hate the 67 suit being used, 62 suit woulda looked awesome in that crowd.
He would have ripped and tear Ghidorah's three testicles off.

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

KingKong2005 wrote:Not to mention how smart that particular version of King Kong was!
He also understood English.

"Koooooong. I eat and drink on this ship Koooong."
"Stop rocking the ship Koooong"
"Kooooooooooooooooooong!"

Last edited by The Octopus on Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

I think King Kong would have showed up at the end of Destroy All Monsters and they would have made one or two more solo Kong movies with a better suit.

Ebirah, Horror of the Deep might be a King Kong movie.

Long term? I don't see much of a difference. Godzilla started becoming a cash cow, and was more viable as a long term money maker. King Kong was getting more and more fringe and might have performed worse.
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

Could you imagine being a kid and seeing this face on the cover of a magazine back in 1967?

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Octopus,why must you feel the need to show us this nightmare Kong stuff? :P

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

We needed a MusukoGoji and GoroKong wayer suit team up movie.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Red-Death Gigan
Interpol Agent

Post by Red-Death Gigan »

Kong & Sandy vs Gaira & Oodaku!
... Godzilla lives inside each one of us.