What If Toho Was Able To Use King Kong Again Post 62?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
KingKong2005
G-Grasper

What If Toho Was Able To Use King Kong Again Post 62?

Postby KingKong2005 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:27 am

What do you guys think King Kong's role would be in future films? Would he even appear in future films after King Kong Vs Godzilla? Would he be an earth defender or turn to the dark side :freak:? What monsters do you think he would hold a similarity to?

Personally, I think King Kong would have appeared in GTTHM or GVMZ, he would have definitely appeared in DAM as one of the heavy's like Rodan and Godzilla, and maybe in GvMG with King Caesar. I think King Kong would have been shown as a heavyweight like Rodan was with Godzilla and King Caesar. I also think King Kong and Mothra would be very tight (always helping one another out), but King Kong is peaceful and friendly with monsters like Anguirus, King Caesar, Rodan, and other earth defenders. What do you guys think?
Image Image Image Image Image Image

Maritonic

Re: What If Toho Was Able To Use King Kong Again Post 62?

Postby Maritonic » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:31 am

I think after King Kong vs. Godzilla he would have fought Gorosaurus and Mechani-Kong in King Kong Escapes.
Last edited by Maritonic on Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Resized Image

Everything Will Proceed Cyclically

goji89 wrote:So.......are we gonna Kinkshame the skreeonking birds or what?

Dr. Professor
EDF Soldier

Postby Dr. Professor » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:38 am

I think it would've been really cool to see Godzilla and King Kong become allies. But hopefully Toho would've eventually made a better Kong suit. :lol:
goji89 wrote: :shock: ...Sweet Yeet

Resized Image

eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby eabaker » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:46 am

I think, had Toho used Kong in more movies, they likely would have been along the lines of KKE, in that they would have been Kong movies. They wouldn't have just added Kong into more Godzilla movies; that would have been a waste of a headlining property.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Dr. Professor
EDF Soldier

Postby Dr. Professor » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:48 am

eabaker wrote:I think, had Toho used Kong in more movies, they likely would have been along the lines of KKE, in that they would have been Kong movies. They wouldn't have just added Kong into more Godzilla movies; that would have been a waste of a headlining property.

You've got a good point. Do you think they would've at least put him in DAM if they could've?
goji89 wrote: :shock: ...Sweet Yeet

Resized Image

MechaGoji Bro7503
E.S.P.Spy

Postby MechaGoji Bro7503 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:55 am

It's nice seeing KK2005 post outside of the MV threads, now the fun begins! :P

I would loved to see more of Toho's Kong, in any scenario to be honest. Imagine all the cool foes he would of gotten.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

Dv-218 wrote:This is so sad, Alexa play "Bio-Wars".

Dr. Professor wrote:If I had a dollar for every "SAVE MOTHRA" joke, I'd be able to buy Legendary Pictures, renew the license for Godzilla, acquire the rights to the rest of the Toho monsters, and make a Godzilla film that totally bombs without even putting a dent in my bank account.

"Wake the fruck up Godzilla, we got a city to burn." - Goro Maki, 2016.

eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby eabaker » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:59 am

Dr. Professor wrote:
eabaker wrote:I think, had Toho used Kong in more movies, they likely would have been along the lines of KKE, in that they would have been Kong movies. They wouldn't have just added Kong into more Godzilla movies; that would have been a waste of a headlining property.

You've got a good point. Do you think they would've at least put him in DAM if they could've?

I suspect yes. There they could probably have put him on an equal footing (in terms of story and marketing) with Godzilla.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

KingKong2005
G-Grasper

Postby KingKong2005 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:23 am

eabaker wrote:
Dr. Professor wrote:

I suspect yes. There they could probably have put him on an equal footing (in terms of story and marketing) with Godzilla.

Godzilla and King Kong Vs The Astro Monsters Anguirus and Rodan cameos!?

Idk, but headlining wouldn't be an issue if you just put King Kong in the title and cover.

Maritonic

Postby Maritonic » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:39 am

eabaker wrote:
Dr. Professor wrote:

King Kong...on EQUAL footing with Godzilla?! HA!
Last edited by Maritonic on Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Resized Image

Everything Will Proceed Cyclically

goji89 wrote:So.......are we gonna Kinkshame the skreeonking birds or what?

KingKong2005
G-Grasper

Postby KingKong2005 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:48 am

Maritonic wrote:
eabaker wrote:
Dr. Professor wrote:You've got a good point. Do you think they would've at least put him in DAM if they could've?

To hell with that mammal! Leave it to the butterfly to be on equal footing and greater! :lol:

UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby UltramanGoji » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:17 am

I think they would’ve made Continuation: KKVG and Operation Robinson Crusoe and then be done with it. They wouldn’t have Kong replace or join anyone in the other films because he’s not their monster. I think Toho would’ve been more interested in building their own brands than using someone else’s.

KingKong2005
G-Grasper

Postby KingKong2005 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:39 am

UltramanGoji wrote:I think they would’ve made Continuation: KKVG and Operation Robinson Crusoe and then be done with it. They wouldn’t have Kong replace or join anyone in the other films because he’s not their monster. I think Toho would’ve been more interested in building their own brands than using someone else’s.

Huh, I heard King Kong was in the Destroy All Monsters first draft? Would anyone happen to know if this is true or not?

tyrantgoji
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby tyrantgoji » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:51 pm

he did, it's called King Kong Escapes :lol:

in all seriousness, i think he would have stayed the same size he was in 62 and would have joined Destroy all Monsters. i also feel like the King Kong vs Godzilla remake planned for the 90's would have happened as well.

mikelcho
Interpol Agent

Postby mikelcho » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:59 pm

KingKong2005 wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:I think they would’ve made Continuation: KKVG and Operation Robinson Crusoe and then be done with it. They wouldn’t have Kong replace or join anyone in the other films because he’s not their monster. I think Toho would’ve been more interested in building their own brands than using someone else’s.

Huh, I heard King Kong was in the Destroy All Monsters first draft? Would anyone happen to know if this is true or not?
I think that I remember seeing in a Toho Kong Wikipedia article that King Kong was considered for DAM,, but was dropped because Toho's contract for the character was about to expire.

UPDATE: I was right; it's the Wikipedia article on King Kong Escapes.
Last edited by mikelcho on Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby UltramanGoji » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:06 pm

None of the literary sources I've looked through say that. I'm calling bullshit.

ROMG4
Interpol Agent

Postby ROMG4 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:33 pm

Maritonic wrote:
eabaker wrote:
Dr. Professor wrote:You've got a good point. Do you think they would've at least put him in DAM if they could've?

Godzilla: It's over Kong, I have the HIGH GROUND

Terasawa
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Terasawa » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:09 pm

UltramanGoji wrote:None of the literary sources I've looked through say that. I'm calling bullshit.

Yep, Wikipedia is not good enough on this one, especially without a cited source. Friendly reminder that the Wikipedia entry for DAM once stated that a song and dance routine for Minya was cut from that film.
-- 寺沢 --
YouTube
Save All Dubs

KingKong2005
G-Grasper

Postby KingKong2005 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:08 pm

UltramanGoji wrote:None of the literary sources I've looked through say that. I'm calling bullshit.

Most likely right :lol:

edgaguirus
Kwaidan

Postby edgaguirus » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:40 pm

Personally, I don't think Kong would have been in that many movies. Kong could have made money, but Godzilla was their big draw, and we all know how much Toho loves that money. Maybe one or two films after ORC, but not a big career.
Kaiju are just like people- giant, radioactive people.

Megalon went into a bar and saw Gigan. Megalon said, " Again? I thought you gave this up."
" What can I say," Gigan asked. " I'm hooked."

mikelcho
Interpol Agent

Postby mikelcho » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:07 pm

Terasawa wrote:

Yep, Wikipedia is not good enough on this one, especially without a cited source. Friendly reminder that the Wikipedia entry for DAM once stated that a song and dance routine for Minya was cut from that film.
It's in the Legacy section of the article, footnote #16.

Return to “Showa Series (1930's-1970's)”