Godzilla on Fire

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Godzilla on Fire

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Maybe this doesn’t need its own topic but I wasn’t really sure where to ask it - can someone confirm with me whether both times the Godzilla suit is on fire - thinking Mothra vs. Godzilla here and Terror of Mechagodzilla - it was a total accident from the pyrotechnics that was left in the movie because it looked so cool? I remember hearing somewhere that this was the case, but I’m not sure if it was for both movies or just one of them, and the other was actually a planned special effect.
Last edited by KaijuCanuck on Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Re: Godzilla on Fire

Post by Ivo-goji »

Mothra vs Godzilla's audio commentary said something to that effect I think, but who knows if they were right or not.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

Yes they're accidents. Nobody wants to set a rubber suit with an actor inside on fire.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:Yes they're accidents. Nobody wants to set a rubber suit with an actor inside on fire.
Speak for yourself.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

eabaker wrote: Speak for yourself.
:angel:
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

Tsubaraya would strap bombs to the actors to achieve the right effect. Setting people on fire isn't all that unlikely.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

They were accidental fires from all I've heard. Suit actors had enough problems in those suits. The idea of being purposely set ablaze would be very worrisome for them.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Ivo-goji wrote:Tsubaraya would strap bombs to the actors to achieve the right effect. Setting people on fire isn't all that unlikely.
Bombs is a huge exaggeration. The best sources in the fandom basically all agree they're accidental.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

It seems to me most likely they were accidental - what's interesting though is that the cameras kept rolling long enough to have some footage to put in the movies. It's almost like in both cases if the set crew was in panic because someone was on fire, Honda went "yeah, just two more seconds..."
Last edited by KaijuCanuck on Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

KaijuCanuck wrote:It seems to me most likely they were accidental - what's interesting though is that the cameras kept rolling long enough to have some footage to put in the movies. It's almost like in both cases if the set crew was in panic because someone was on fire, Honda went "yeah, just two more seconds..."
As a director myself... yeah, that's what you'd do... :)
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Godzilla2004fan
Samurai

Post by Godzilla2004fan »

Yeah, I remember that scene when MosuGoji starts to ignite.
"The King of Monsters That Appeared in 1954" is Godzilla!
My DeviantArt account: https://www.deviantart.com/sonic2006fan

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Well, Godzilla is a hot commodity.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.