So there where two King Ghidorahs in the showa series

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Re: So there where two King Ghidorahs in the showa series

Post by Maritonic »

LamangoKaijura wrote:
Maritonic wrote:
CheetoKamper wrote:Toho trying to retcon things from the Showa Era is just laughable. Like, "Oh remember those bones that you saw disappear almost 50 years ago as they disintegrated like the rest of Godzilla did? Well WE FOUND THEM NOW SO LOL JK" It's almost as silly as some of the more random fan cannons out there. Stop trying to make the Godzilla universe more expansive than it actually is by deciding things decades after the fact.

If anything just say that somehow the movies after Hedorah took place after DAM (so like in the late 90's early 2000's) so that way it's just some sort of "we revived Ghidorah or he just magically lived through DAM" Scenario. Don't make it into there being 2 Ghidorahs. By that logic there were like 8 Godzilla's just swimming around taking turns saving the world and whatnot since Godzilla's appearance changed so much.
The problem isn't that Ghidorah died in Destroy All Monsters, since Destroy All Monsters takes place in the future. The problem is that he dies in Zone Fighter, which is canon.

Personally, it's never phased me. I've never cared if he died and just came back, considering the massive holes in continuity with all the monsters that died previous to Destroy All Monsters yet still showed up. Continuity clearly wasn't a concern for Toho, so it's never been a concern for me.
No, Gigan died in Zone Fighter, not Ghidorah.
If you scroll up, you'll see I was already corrected on this.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

No, I refuse to scroll up. Ree.

Seriously, the multiple kaiju thing is goofy at this point.
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

LamangoKaijura wrote:No, I refuse to scroll up. Ree.

Seriously, the multiple kaiju thing is goofy at this point.
Yup completely agree.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Having a second Ghidorah is stupid and takes something away from the character. I much prefer the idea of Ghidorah being a unique aberration of nature. Not like it matters in the end anyway, as far as the movies themselves and the characters within them are concerned there's only one Ghidorah.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

LockBite
JXSDF Technician

Post by LockBite »

My issue with this is that it retcons GVG into being chronologically after DAM. Despite the 70s movies being... well clearly in the 70s.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Ironically, there are two King Ghidorahs in the Heisei series. (Thanks to time travel, by the end of Godzilla vs King Ghidorah, there are two different headless King Ghidorahs lying at the bottom of the ocean.) And two in the Mothra trilogy. And two in the Millennium series. :)
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

szmigiel wrote:I think it is funny that fans think Toho gave a 2nd thought about timelines and continuity when planning movies.

I also like how King Kong surfacing and leaving is considered a victory, but King Ghidorah surfacing and leaving is considered a loss.
This...all of this.

I've said it before, but the continuity in the Showa series was loose at best, so trying to make perfect sense out of it is a fruitless effort. I feel like my head canon of "GVG takes place in 72 and DAM takes place in 99, ergo, the later film took place before he died" is every bit as valid as anything Toho says in 2018 since way back when, there was clearly very little connective tissue from film to film. The same can be applied to any fan theory really because I guarantee you the film makers back then weren't thinking about that kind of stuff the way we do.

I had a similar discussion with Transformers fans about some inconsistencies in Transformers the Movie (specifically which Decepticons became which of Galvatron's new lieutenants) and after giving my theory, I also made sure to point out that there is no right answer. At best, these inconsistencies can be chalked up as mistakes/oversights and there is no definitive conclusion for.

And Showa Godzilla is loaded with them.

FOR EXAMPLE: 1) Minilla appears to be the same age in DAM as he was in the previous film, despite growing significantly in a short span of time in the earlier film.

2) Also, how did the second Mothra larva from Mothra Vs. Godzilla die? There is a throwaway line that it died (and even as a kid, I thought they were talking about the adult from the previous film).

3) Speaking of that, how does Mothra know when its time to make the cocoon and transform into an adult? In most films, it seems to be done at will and whenever she feels like it. If so, this begs the question why Mothra didn't get into the old silk sleeping bag in Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster. Adult Mothra would have fared much better against King Ghidorah, even without Rodan and Godzilla's help, no? And by this point, this larval Mothra was in this larval state much longer than the previous version and most other versions that would follow, if not all of them.

4) Does Frankenstein Vs. Baragon fit into the Godzilla continuity? If so, how is Baragon both alive after losing the fight with the Frankenstein Monster and how is he much larger than he was in that film? How are Varan, Kumonga, Gorosauras, Manda, and Anguiras all alive in DAM after being killed in their respective debut films? Also, if the standalone films fit into the Godzilla continuity, then why isn't Godzilla ever brought up in any of those films and vice versa? You would think a country that's been ravaged by Godzilla twice before would be a little less shocked by the appearance of Rodan.

The filmmakers and studios back then weren't concerned with heavy continuity between films, so there is no right answer to all this stuff. That's where the fans come in and connect the dots for ourselves. For example, in my mind I made up answers to these questions back when I was a kid: 1) The Godzilla in DAM is a grown up Minilla, and the Minilla is DAM is his own Son. The previous Showa Godzilla died up some earlier point. 2) The Larva died from injuries sustained while fighting Godzilla. The one that died is the one that got walloped by Godzilla's tail over and over again...not good for a newborn. 3) This Mothra did it deliberately, feeling that it would be more beneficial to mankind to have the Earth monsters form a brotherhood to protect the Earth rather than constantly relying on a fully grown Mothra that might not always be there. Also, waiting to go into the cocoon extends Mothra's life as becoming the adult form seems to drastically shorten its lifespan. 4) Rodan and Mothra are the only non-Godzilla films that fit into the Showa Godzilla continuity. Gorosauras, Baragon, Manda, and Varan were "rebooted" and re-purposed for this film, and this is their introduction into a new continuity. As for Anguiras, much like Godzilla before him, the one in DAM is another one of the same species that was discovered at some point preceding the film, this one becoming friends with the 2nd Godzilla. Same goes for Kumonga.

Are my answers perfect? No, but hey whatever gets me over the hump, I'll take.

Also, yes, I've never understood how the ending to KVG is considered a loss for Godzilla, yet the ending to Godzilla Vs. Monster Zero is somehow a win for Godzilla and Rodan when they are both virtually the same exact thing. Godzilla and opponent falls in the big drink, opponent comes up and goes home, but not Godzilla.

Both endings are flimsy, but I wish we could reach some kind of consistency with them. Can we all settle it and say they were both draws?
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I remember arguing over this when I first became part of Tohokingdom.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

GojiDog wrote: Also, yes, I've never understood how the ending to KVG is considered a loss for Godzilla, yet the ending to Godzilla Vs. Monster Zero is somehow a win for Godzilla and Rodan when they are both virtually the same exact thing. Godzilla and opponent falls in the big drink, opponent comes up and goes home, but not Godzilla.
Godzilla was the bad guy in the former movie and the good guy in the latter. The day isn't saved unless the bad guy is defeated, that's a no-brainer.
Can we all settle it and say they were both draws?
Over my dead body.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

I'll be honest, I don't like it. I dunno, it just feels wrong for King Ghidorah to not be one of a kind. Or at least so rare galaxies only see one and not another.
Ivo-goji wrote:Yeah, no, he was always weak. Getting gangraped by multiple kaiju isn't a demonstration that it takes multiple kaiju to beat Ghidorah.
I feel like Toho goofed and should have had King Ghidorah kicking Godzilla's ass instead of a Mothra larval, and then Rodan and Mothra come to help him fight King Ghidorah. They did a better job on the Planet X battle where King Ghidorah just walks through Godzilla's breath unfazed while Godzilla and Rodan use the mountains as cover from the Gravity Beams.

They even kind of goofed on city destruction, he was impressive in GTTHM but after that the city destruction wasn't as awe inspiring, but that's something Godzilla, Rodan, Mothra and Mechagodzilla have all suffered. They get their first city destruction scene and then after that most of them don't live up to the bar their first rampage set.
Last edited by BlankAccount on Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Living Corpse wrote:I feel like Toho goofed and should have had King Ghidorah kicking Godzilla's ass instead of a Mothra larval, and then Rodan and Mothra come to help him fight King Ghidorah.
That wouldn't have worked from a story perspective. Mothra is the only established hero of the bunch, and the one best suited to elicit the audience's sympathy, while the final act is reliant on Godzilla and Rodan being treated as secondary antagonists (well, really, tertiary, since Malmess is the secondary antagonist) until they are convinced to act for the greater good.
Last edited by eabaker on Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

GojiDog wrote: 1) The Godzilla in DAM is a grown up Minilla, and the Minilla is DAM is his own Son. The previous Showa Godzilla died up some earlier point.
Psh. A film set in the future where a previously-unknown offspring of Godzilla has matured to the exact same point that we last saw the now-current Godzilla? Like they'd if put that into a Godzilla movie... ;)
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

LockBite wrote:My issue with this is that it retcons GVG into being chronologically after DAM. Despite the 70s movies being... well clearly in the 70s.
No it doesn't, 60's King Ghidorah ran away and comes back in 99. A second weaker one just appears in the 70's.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

miguelnuva wrote:
LockBite wrote:My issue with this is that it retcons GVG into being chronologically after DAM. Despite the 70s movies being... well clearly in the 70s.
No it doesn't, 60's King Ghidorah ran away and comes back in 99. A second weaker one just appears in the 70's.
Nah, the second one is just a lie. :twisted:
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

LockBite
JXSDF Technician

Post by LockBite »

miguelnuva wrote:
Wow, that's spectacularly pointless, then.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

LockBite wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:
Isn't it? It serves absolutely 0 point.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Maritonic wrote:
LockBite wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:
Isn't it? It serves absolutely 0 point.
And we can't even say "Well, this was the one under alien control all the time," because he was in the 60s and '99, too. There's nothing that makes Ghidorah different in the 70s except being capable of being beaten by a single opponent (and even then, never killed, with each opponent being a massive powerhouse, so it's not especially incongruous with the other portrayals of him).

It's an explanation of a clerical error, and nothing more. Which is lame.

Maranatha!

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Coming back to this in Zone Fighter didn't the Garoga claim to have created Ghidorah? Maybe the second Ghidorah is a clone or something. It would give credence to the Garoga's statement.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

King of the Monsters
Monarch Researcher

Post by King of the Monsters »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Coming back to this in Zone Fighter didn't the Garoga claim to have created Ghidorah? Maybe the second Ghidorah is a clone or something. It would give credence to the Garoga's statement.
Myself and some other users on Wikizilla have gone through the episodes of Zone Fighter with King Ghidorah and could find no mention of them having created King Ghidorah. They only say they have "recruited" King Ghidorah into the ranks of their Terror-Beasts. I have no idea where the rumor of the Garogas having created King Ghidorah originated.
Bureaucrat on Wikizilla. No, not Gojipedia.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

So the presence of a second Ghidorah serves no explanatory or re-interpretive basis at all.

It's literally there for no reason.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.