Say something negative about the Showa series

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
LegendZilla
Sazer

Say something negative about the Showa series

Post by LegendZilla »

Hey guys, LegendZilla here with another thread. As we all know it's become a time honored tradition in this fandom to use the Heisei series as a punching bag for our nitpicks and over time it's gotten really tiresome. So to balance things out, I thought I'd create a thread dedicated to what complaints you have about the oh-so perfect and flawless series of films that started it all, the Showa series. Hopefully this thread can expose as many double standards as possible.

Mine are :

For all the endless bitching and moaning there is over not being able to connect the dots of the Heisei timeline, may I remind you that the Showa’s own continuity is quite convoluted in its own right. I could make an entire thread about how various Showa films contradict one another, bit for now I will not state the specific reasons

The overusage of stock footage in the late 1960’s and early 70’s.

Campiness found all across the Showa series whether it be Godzilla dancing, flying, doing Kung-fu or acting like King Kong.

That’s all I can think of for now.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Re: Say something negative about the Showa series

Post by GigaBowserG »

Some of the more overused Godzilla suits were beginning to fall apart on camera. Not a huge negative, but it can be distracting sometimes. Also, some of the puppets used in the early movies don't hold up very well.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

Repeat 1000 times.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

AbelCesar
Ronin

Post by AbelCesar »

LegendZilla wrote:Campiness found all across the Showa series whether it be Godzilla dancing, flying, doing Kung-fu or acting like King Kong.
I don't think those elements can qualify as "camp" so much as straight out comedy. If we're to delve into the term's most commonly accepted definitions, then Tokusatsu as a whole may be considered camp, regardless of the tone in each individual film. In Notes on "Camp", Susan Sontag specifies "There is Camp in such bad movies as The Prodigal and Samson and Delilah, the series of Italian color spectacles featuring the super-hero Maciste, numerous Japanese science fiction films (Rodan, The Mysterians, The H-Man) because, in their relative unpretentiousness and vulgarity, they are more extreme and irresponsible in their fantasy - and therefore touching and quite enjoyable."
Last edited by AbelCesar on Tue May 29, 2018 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

It set the bar too high for the following era and series.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Stock footage. I understand why they did it, but it’s always disappointing and immersion breaking when you see it.
Last edited by KaijuCanuck on Tue May 29, 2018 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Stock footage.

Over-use of King Ghidorah (though sometimes, that was probably to complement the stock footage.)

Honestly... a lot of the rest are matters of personal taste. The era doesn't grab me as much... but it has relatively few actual flaws in production or construction that I can think of.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

The only one I have is the voice of Minya in AMA.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Really haphazard continuity. Although in fairness to them, I don’t think continuity was cared about in quite the same way by audiences back then.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

KaijuCanuck wrote:Really haphazard continuity. Although in fairness to them, I don’t think continuity was cared about in quite the same way by audiences back then.
Like what? If you're just going by the Godzilla movies (And not counting Toho's other Kaiju/SFX films that may or may not be canon), I cannot think of any instances where the continuity between films is haphazard. They just follow a very episodic format.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

MaxRebo320 wrote:
KaijuCanuck wrote:Really haphazard continuity. Although in fairness to them, I don’t think continuity was cared about in quite the same way by audiences back then.
Like what? If you're just going by the Godzilla movies (And not counting Toho's other Kaiju/SFX films that may or may not be canon), I cannot think of any instances where the continuity between films is haphazard. They just follow a very episodic format.
Like, there just wasn’t a ton of planning to make things cohesive. For example, Rodan never mentions Godzilla’s attack on Tokyo, which you’d think would come up. Just stuff like that.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

There's the whole Monster Island thing, Earth's technology level going from contemporary to interstellar travel and advanced space-age weaponry, then seemingly reverting back to contemporary Earth technology levels, Minilla just disappearing after Godzilla's Revenge, Anguirus suddenly appearing at the same time... pretty sure there are other examples within the Godzilla series itself, but those are the only ones I recall off the top of my head. Personally, I prefer to think of the whole thing as a continuity anyway, but I do remember there being a few elements that make it fairly hard to do so.
Last edited by Zarm on Thu May 31, 2018 2:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

KillCrites
Interpol Agent

Post by KillCrites »

I guess the stock footage in later films is my only real complaint I can think of. Overall the Showa series is really solid and easily the best era for Godzilla movies.
why did i have to be the chosen one?

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

KillCrites wrote:I guess the stock footage in later films is my only real complaint I can think of. Overall the Showa series is really solid and easily the best era for Godzilla movies.
Stock footage and continuity issues aside, I would agree. There’s quite a lot I like in later eras, but for me the showa era is definitely the golden age.
Zarm wrote:There's the whole Monster Island thing, Earth's technology level going from contemporary to interstellar travel and advanced space-age weaponry, then seemingly reverting back to contemporary Earth technology levels, Minilla just disappearing after Godzilla's Revenge, Anguirus suddenly appearing at the same time... pretty sure there are other examples within the Godzilla series itself, but those are the only ones I recall off the top of my head. Personally, I prefer to think of the whole thing as a continuity anyway, but I do remember there being a few elements that make it fairly hard to do so.
Yeah, there’s quite a few holes you can poke when you sit down and really think about it. I do think it was the filmmakers intentions to have them all as one continuity, it they just didn’t have the same culture back then of worrying about it too much. It’s kind of like the James Bond films of the same era. How is this guy never aging?

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

KaijuCanuck wrote:Like, there just wasn’t a ton of planning to make things cohesive. For example, Rodan never mentions Godzilla’s attack on Tokyo, which you’d think would come up. Just stuff like that.
Well, Rodan was only retroactively integrated into canon after his appearance in Ghidorah, though I do suppose it did create a minor plothole in the process. But just because nobody brings it up doesn't mean it didn't happen. I guess there just wasn't much of a reason to do so.
Zarm wrote:Earth's technology level going from contemporary to interstellar travel and advanced space-age weaponry, then seemingly reverting back to contemporary Earth technology levels
Well, never mind the fact that DAM is set at the end of the 20th century, while the films made afterward are assumed to be set before it. It's never made abundantly clear in the films, but most, if not all publications place them before it.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s kind of like the James Bond films of the same era. How is this guy never aging?
If you wanna get technical here, Bond actually DOES age fairly cohesively from 1962 to 1985 (As Connery and Moore were around the same age). It's after that where things get muddled, but I personally like to consider the Dalton/Brosnan films a separate continuity (Though one where a lot of the events in the classic films still took place, only in a different decade). I'm all about facts!
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

MaxRebo320 wrote:
Zarm wrote:Earth's technology level going from contemporary to interstellar travel and advanced space-age weaponry, then seemingly reverting back to contemporary Earth technology levels
Well, never mind the fact that DAM is set at the end of the 20th century, while the films made afterward are assumed to be set before it. It's never made abundantly clear in the films, but most, if not all publications place them before it.
I was thinking more of the Monster Zero stuff. Plus weather control tech in SoG and various maser weapons... and then, in the 70s post-DAM films (and admittedly, that's, like, 70% of the continuity issues there, in those last 5 films) seem to regress back to modern-day technology (or at least, no mention of what they had in the 60s, particularly any maser weaponry or the like when they're trying to fight Hedorah), then back up to the space age by DAM.

I mean, don't get me wrong- I'm an advocate for the showa era being a continuity (at least the G-films), and these things in no way bother me greatly. I was merely offering evidenciary support to KaijuCanuck's assertion.

MaxRebo320 wrote: If you wanna get technical here, Bond actually DOES age fairly cohesively from 1962 to 1985 (As Connery and Moore were around the same age). It's after that where things get muddled, but I personally like to consider the Dalton/Brosnan films a separate continuity (Though one where a lot of the events in the classic films still took place, only in a different decade). I'm all about facts!
Bond continuity is the strangest continuity of all. I mean, there are strong indications that Connery's films happened to Lazenby, so he's the same guy? But then moore's era acts more like a reboot, with SPECTRE and the like dropping out entirely (never mind the real-life reasons). And then it seems to soft-reboot with Dalton (and hard-reboot with Craig), but Brosnan is still a 'relic of the cold war' and seems to have Bond's history despite not having the requisite age? Plus, Q continues to age consecutively throughout, while Moneypenny and M join in the soft reboot...

It is the most conceptual, 'don't-think-about-it-too-hard' version of continuity ever maintained. It's like... 'general gist' continuity. It's closest to comic books' sliding timescale, really- except it's tied to real-world politics and cutting-edge technological developments, so it's a lot harder to fudge the timescale in the imagination.

Added in 2 minutes 19 seconds:
MaxRebo320 wrote:
KaijuCanuck wrote:Like, there just wasn’t a ton of planning to make things cohesive. For example, Rodan never mentions Godzilla’s attack on Tokyo, which you’d think would come up. Just stuff like that.
Well, Rodan was only retroactively integrated into canon after his appearance in Ghidorah, though I do suppose it did create a minor plothole in the process. But just because nobody brings it up doesn't mean it didn't happen. I guess there just wasn't much of a reason to do so.
Actually, I kinda always figured that Rodan and Mothra used Bond-style continuity (or 'Kiryu saga continuity')- essentially 'something LIKE that happened in this timeline, but not these exact events that you see in the movie.' That's always how I reckon those two films... not exactly in the Godzilla continuity, but sort of conceptual guides to the broad strokes of something that did happen in the Godzilla timeline.
Last edited by Zarm on Thu May 31, 2018 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Maranatha!

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

The only thing I can really think of is puppet shots in the earlier films. They almost always look terrible and I'm thankful they were phased out in later films.

Stock footage never really bothered me, aside from the obvious Ghidorah the Three-Headed Monster shots in Godzilla vs. Gigan.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

Mothra actually *did* mention that other monsters had appeared before Mothra.

Mothra also re-introduced the Atomic Heat Cannons first seen in Battle in Outer Space, and the Showa series stuck with BIOS-type advanced technology after that point; Artificial Lightning weapons in MvsG, the A-Cycle Light Gun and P-1 spacecraft in Monster Zero, Masers in later films, Jet Jaguar, and so on.

Perceived inconsistencies by omission fall squarely under the Law of Conservation of Detail. The films only have to give us enough information to understand what's going on within each film- which is what they do.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

Camdigidy
GPN Volunteer

Post by Camdigidy »

Zarm wrote:There's the whole Monster Island thing, Earth's technology level going from contemporary to interstellar travel and advanced space-age weaponry, then seemingly reverting back to contemporary Earth technology levels, Minilla just disappearing after Godzilla's Revenge, Anguirus suddenly appearing at the same time... pretty sure there are other examples within the Godzilla series itself, but those are the only ones I recall off the top of my head. Personally, I prefer to think of the whole thing as a continuity anyway, but I do remember there being a few elements that make it fairly hard to do so.

I had thought that the drop in technology was due to Japan's economical depression in the 70s. They couldn't keep the advanced tech up and running.
Check out my custom Godzilla blu-ray covers on my DeviantArt: https://grandkeizerghidorah.deviantart.com/

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

UltramanGoji wrote:The only thing I can really think of is puppet shots in the earlier films. They almost always look terrible and I'm thankful they were phased out in later films.

Stock footage never really bothered me, aside from the obvious Ghidorah the Three-Headed Monster shots in Godzilla vs. Gigan.
God knows why Tsuburaya was so adamant in using those puppets. KKvG and Ghidrah would be much better off without them.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.