Say something negative about the Showa series

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Say something negative about the Showa series

Post by eabaker »

jackzilla wrote:Most of the movies in the Showa series are not that good. They are remembered for being campy Godzilla classics, but if you look at the whole entire list of all the Showa films...a pretty good chunk of them are some of the worst Godzilla films out of all of them. Some of them are the best, yes, but more of them are some of the worst.
Huh. I'd describe the Showa as the only era (of the three completed eras, that is) to achieve better than about a 50% success rate. Out of the 15 movies in the era, I'd classify at least ten (probably more) as solidly good movies.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

eabaker wrote:
Huh. I'd describe the Showa as the only era (of the three completed eras, that is) to achieve better than about a 50% success rate. Out of the 15 movies in the era, I'd classify at least ten (probably more) as solidly good movies.
I agree. (I say that a lot don't I? Hehe)
I will say the Showa Era had this..... "spark" or drive that I haven't seen in this franchise since then, if that makes sense. Like even if I viewed them without a nostalgic lens, they still hold up - especially the storytelling part of them. The so called drive is probably what led it to being really good or just, satisfying all around. Megalon is really the only Showa Godzilla film that I would say is "bad". Sorry if I kinda babbled a bit.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

KillCrites
Interpol Agent

Post by KillCrites »

jackzilla wrote:Most of the movies in the Showa series are not that good. They are remembered for being campy Godzilla classics, but if you look at the whole entire list of all the Showa films...a pretty good chunk of them are some of the worst Godzilla films out of all of them. Some of them are the best, yes, but more of them are some of the worst.
I would actually say that the Showa era is the most consistent in quality of all the eras but fuck it bro it's your life
why did i have to be the chosen one?

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

The Showa era spans 3 decades, and could be divided into 2 or 3 different eras easily enough, but grouping them together as the Showa era is what fandom has done. There is a significant drop in quality of the effects once Eiji Tsuburaya passed away. During the Champion Festival films the use of stock footage and some of the suits starting to fall apart, do hurt the legacy of the Showa era. While the 70's films are still enjoyable they are not on the same quality level that the golden age of the 60's films are.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

I don't know if they're really the most "consistent", considering the Heisei films had more or less the same exact looking Godzilla for all the films (save 84 and 95) and returning characters. Then again, I *personally* feel most of the Heisei films are about on the same level of quality, whereas the Showa films there are DEFINITELY some that are significantly better and DEFINITELY some that are significantly worse.

However, as szmigiel said, it also spans THREE DECADES so there's a lot more wiggle room.

Actually, I have to agree with everything szmigiel said. He's completely right on all points. Not saying there aren't some excellent 70's films, in fact some of my all time favorites are from the 70's, but you can definitely see a dip in quality comparatively to what came before it.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

HillyHulk
Gotengo Officer

Post by HillyHulk »

In the early days of the Showa era, the fights were pretty lacking compared to later years (even in the same era). Examples being Godzilla and Anguirus (it was more a bunch of shoving then anything else) and Godzilla and Mothra (either fight can barely be called such).

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

HillyHulk wrote:Godzilla and Mothra (either fight can barely be called such).
The adult Mothra's battle with Godzilla is one of the greatest in daikaiju history.

It's a sight better than what passed for fighting in the successive three or four films!
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

HillyHulk
Gotengo Officer

Post by HillyHulk »

Ivo-goji wrote:
HillyHulk wrote:Godzilla and Mothra (either fight can barely be called such).
The adult Mothra's battle with Godzilla is one of the greatest in daikaiju history.

It's a sight better than what passed for fighting in the successive three or four films!
It's a bunch of wing flapping and dragging Godzilla across the ground. The fight after, its Godzilla kicking rocks while being beaten by larva shooting web at it. Not exactly compelling combat. Godzilla vs Mothra: Battle For Earth was much better. The clashing styles, the violence, it's much more exciting (especially when the Imago team up).

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

The battle in the 92 flick is literally just a bunch of beams and sparks going off.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

HillyHulk
Gotengo Officer

Post by HillyHulk »

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:The battle in the 92 flick is literally just a bunch of beams and sparks going off.
Well, that's your opinion and you're entitled to it. I happen to like the 1992 version more.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

HillyHulk wrote:In the early days of the Showa era, the fights were pretty lacking compared to later years (even in the same era). Examples being Godzilla and Anguirus (it was more a bunch of shoving then anything else) and Godzilla and Mothra (either fight can barely be called such).
The fight with Mothra and Godzilla in '64 was always rather disorienting to me as a kid. Mothra felt huge, but never really strong. I need to revisit that movie someday.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

HillyHulk wrote:
Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:The battle in the 92 flick is literally just a bunch of beams and sparks going off.
Well, that's your opinion and you're entitled to it. I happen to like the 1992 version more.
It’s not an opinion, it literally was a bunch of beams and sparks going off, all the Heisei fights were just that, minus Mechagodzilla, which was just awkward and clunky slapping.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

HillyHulk
Gotengo Officer

Post by HillyHulk »

PitchBlackProgress wrote:
HillyHulk wrote:
It’s not an opinion, it literally was a bunch of beams and sparks going off, all the Heisei fights were just that, minus Mechagodzilla, which was just awkward and clunky slapping.
No need to be rude. That's not entirely wrong, but I still feel that they were better fights.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

HillyHulk wrote:
PitchBlackProgress wrote:
HillyHulk wrote: Well, that's your opinion and you're entitled to it. I happen to like the 1992 version more.
No need to be rude. That's not entirely wrong, but I still feel that they were better fights.
Wasn’t being rude, just stating a fact.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Not really accurate. Biollante was primarily grappling and tendril attacks. Heisei King Ghidorah was stomping and strangling, plenty of physical action there. Vs. mothra was more beam dependent, though there were a few aspects- such as the falling Ferris Wheel- thrown in beyond a simple shootout. Vs. MechaGodzilla itself was mostly a beam-war, but Rodan's battles with Godzilla and MechaGodzilla were far more physical. Spacegodzilla was pretty much a shootout. Vs. Destroyah had a mix of melee and beams.

I mean, sure- heavier on beams and lighter on melee than any other era, yes. But beams and explosions only? Really only 2 films are guilty of that and only that.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Yeah the whole "beam wars" thing is kind of a Flanderization of the Heisei series as a whole, I think.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

BlacktimusPrime
Monarch Researcher

Post by BlacktimusPrime »

Godzilla's Revenge - it's so bad it makes Godzilla vs Megalon look like great cinema.
Coobzilla03 wrote:
goji89 wrote:Godzilla in general sucks. Just awful. I mean a man in a suit knocking down papercraft buildings?

Turn me into a twix and give me a break.

Mutated animals that are huge that fight each other.
Here goji, have a Snickers. You're not you when you're hungry.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

BlacktimusPrime wrote:Godzilla's Revenge - it's so bad it makes Godzilla vs Megalon look like great cinema.
Godzilla's Revenge is a much better written, produced and directed movie than Godzilla vs. Megalon.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

eabaker wrote:
Godzilla's Revenge is a much better written, produced and directed movie than Godzilla vs. Megalon.
Oh definitely, it's cool how even with rather limited resources Honda can still put together a pretty good film.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Calling Godzilla's Revenge better-written is kind of like arguing that Bin laden is slightly less evil than Hitler. (Boom! Godwin's law invoked!) :) I mean, I would probably agree by the slimmest of margins- because Godzilla's Revenge actually identifies who its main characters are- but I would consider the writing to still be one of the lowest points of the showa era. There may be a winner in the competition, but both are still at the bottom of the barrel. :)
Last edited by Zarm on Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!