1954-55 hand puppet?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Pandadug
Ronin

1954-55 hand puppet?

Post by Pandadug »

I know that the suits for these years never survived, but I was wondering about the hand puppets. There seems to have been maybe two separate ones: the puppet for basic roars and interaction with the scenery, and the one for breathing its radioactive fire. I'm not sure if the 1955 hand puppet was the same as the 1954 version. I just love these two movies and think they are the best versions of Godzilla; before he had any real personality and was just a raw "monster". the puppets really gave him a sense of being alive. I think it's interesting that hand puppets were never used again in the Godzilla movies (that I recall).
Does anyone know if these hand puppets survived these long years?
Thanks!

LegendZilla
Sazer

Re: 1954-55 hand puppet?

Post by LegendZilla »

The 1955 Hand puppet makes Godzilla look like he’s from the south.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Pandadug wrote: Does anyone know if these hand puppets survived these long years?
Thanks!
100% not. Considering the Godzilla suits were deteriorating and falling apart only after about five years of wear, there's no way the puppets are anything but landfill material at this point.
Pandadug wrote:I think it's interesting that hand puppets were never used again in the Godzilla movies (that I recall).
Probably because they ranged from looking mediocre and obvious to blatantly obvious and horrible.

Even as a fan of the Showa series, I can safely say that the puppet shots are some of the worst effects in the series.
Last edited by UltramanGoji on Sun May 20, 2018 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Omegamorph
Interpol Agent

Post by Omegamorph »

Pandadug wrote:I think it's interesting that hand puppets were never used again in the Godzilla movies (that I recall).
Actually they were... IIRC on Ghidrah and Sea Monster (but I may be wrong). Here's an example

Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.
miguelnuva wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:47 pm With this being an Oscar for best visual effects you can also joke and say Godzilla really did win the oscar.

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

A puppet was used in Mothra vs. Godzilla as well.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

LegendZilla wrote:The 1955 Hand puppet makes Godzilla look like he’s from the south.
We don't take kindly to that round these parts.

Malchik
EDF Instructor

Post by Malchik »

Toho took little concern properly archiving their films let alone old props.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

Pandadug wrote:I know that the suits for these years never survived, but I was wondering about the hand puppets. There seems to have been maybe two separate ones: the puppet for basic roars and interaction with the scenery, and the one for breathing its radioactive fire. I'm not sure if the 1955 hand puppet was the same as the 1954 version. I just love these two movies and think they are the best versions of Godzilla; before he had any real personality and was just a raw "monster". the puppets really gave him a sense of being alive. I think it's interesting that hand puppets were never used again in the Godzilla movies (that I recall).
Does anyone know if these hand puppets survived these long years?
Thanks!
While the original hand puppets from the first few films are surely long gone, the franchise has continued using animatronic puppets right up to today. They built a HUGE animatronic puppet for Shin Godzilla, and supposedly they're going to be using some animatronics and other practical effects for Godzilla: King of the Monsters next year. :)

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Of course Return of Godzilla introduced the use of animatronics to the franchise but even they mostly disappeared by the end of the Heisei era. Shin was the first time in a long time where animatronics were considered before they abandoned it for a solely CG creation. There were also animatronics and puppetry used to convey that Shin's severed flesh was regenerating but that footage was cut from the final product.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

The 54 hand puppet was the best of them. The face had a primitive and animal quality that suited the film.

The one is G3HM looks a little silly in places, but it worked.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

GodzillaRangerPrime
JXSDF Technician

Post by GodzillaRangerPrime »

I love how freaky the first couple Showa Godzilla puppets were.

Shin Godzilla’s head definitely had their vibe.
Last edited by GodzillaRangerPrime on Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris55 wrote:
Underworld54 wrote:
GalacticPetey wrote:They're not half-assing the Star Wars movies.
I very much consider TFA to be half-assed. What a generic film which only fed on nostalgia, it brought nothing new to the table.
That's not true. C3PO had a red arm.