Varan's popularity and Gtthm

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
miguelnuva
Justiriser

Varan's popularity and Gtthm

Post by miguelnuva »

GTTHM united Godzilla, Mothra and Rodan who had started in their own solo films before coming together for Ghidorah's debut. I have often wondered though why Varan wasn't included in this film as he was the only other monster to have a solo film at this time.

Was Varan just not as popular , was the suit damaged or was their any other reasons he missed the film?
Last edited by miguelnuva on Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

TitanoGoji16
KWC Kontroller
KWC Kontroller

Re: Varsn's popularity and Gtthm

Post by TitanoGoji16 »

Huh. I never really thought about how Varan was the only "major" kaiju star to not be in Ghidrah.
"Name me one fight where Anguirus didn't get his dick kicked in."

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Varsn's popularity and Gtthm

Post by eabaker »

Godzilla, Rodan and Mothra were all very successful movies, in Japan and internationally. Varan was a footnote by comparison.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Re: Varan's popularity and Gtthm

Post by KaijuCanuck »

I know that the American version of Varan was essentially re-edited into a crappy TV movie, but I’m not sure about how popular it was in Japan. Interesting question!
Last edited by KaijuCanuck on Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

KaijuCanuck wrote:I know that the American version of Varan was essentially re-edited into a crappy TV movie
It wasn't re-edited into an American TV movie, it was originally going to be an American TV movie, before changing their minds and releasing it theatrically (Later, it would be re-edited into a crappy theatrical American movie). So that right there would indicate they never put much care into Varan, and while I'm not sure of its exact numbers, I don't think it was ever the big hit Godzilla, Rodan or Mothra were. So I doubt including Varan was ever even on their mind.
Last edited by MaxRebo320 on Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

While his relative lack of success was presumably the biggest factor, there are a few other things that may have held him back. First and foremost, bringing him into the final battle would've meant using a lot more wires to move his flying prop around, and I'm sure Ghidorah and Rodan were already complicated enough. Also, he would kind of needlessly clutter the story; they already had an ambitious thing going with Earth's two most destructive kaiju butting heads, Mothra coming in to play peacemaker, and then Ghidorah as the threat that brings them together. I don't see how Varan could've added anything important there, and he'd have taken screentime and budget away from the others. Then there's the fact that he doesn't bring anything new to the table in terms of abilities: they already had Godzilla to do the T&C brawling, and Rodan to fly. Varan would've been redundant.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

ThunderScore
Monarch Researcher

Post by ThunderScore »

MaxRebo320 wrote:
KaijuCanuck wrote:I know that the American version of Varan was essentially re-edited into a crappy TV movie
It wasn't re-edited into an American TV movie, it was originally going to be an American TV movie, before changing their minds and releasing it theatrically (Later, it would be re-edited into a crappy theatrical American movie). So that right there would indicate they never put much care into Varan, and while I'm not sure of its exact numbers, I don't think it was ever the big hit Godzilla, Rodan or Mothra were. So I doubt including Varan was ever even on their mind.
I think VARAN THE UNBELIEVABELE was actually pretty enjoyable.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

GTTHM wasn't DAM, the intent was never to throw in a huge number of kaiju. It was meant to build on some of the dynamic they'd established in Mothra vs Godzilla, as it's mainly a sequel to that movie. DAM had a ton of kaiju like Varan and Anguirus because it was supposed to be a grand finale that tributed all their previous sci fi movies. GTTHM wasn't made under that logic.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

MaxRebo320 wrote:
And even calling it "re-edited" is being generous - they borrowed the title and some stock footage from Giant Monster Varan to make an entirely new movie. Less than half of Varan the Unbelievable uses footage from Giant Monster Varan (about 30 minutes out of a 70 minute runtime) and a huge chunk of that 30 minutes is just playing the same handful of shots of the military firing on Varan over and over to pad it out. It doesn't even have the same cast!

But, yeah, I've read before that Giant Monster Varan didn't do particularly well at the time so when it came time to do GTTHM I don't think he was ever really considered.
Last edited by Pkmatrix on Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

ThunderScore
Monarch Researcher

Post by ThunderScore »

I prefer this -

Last edited by ThunderScore on Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Varan has never had the popularity of the big kaiju. Varan's film is mediocre, while better films and more popular kaiju have over shadowed him. I doubt Varan will ever escape that shadow.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.