Lost Project Discussion - All Monsters Attack Directive (1968)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Lost Project Discussion - All Monsters Attack Directive (1968)

Post by SonOfGorgo »

In anticipation of the 50th anniversary of the Godzilla Showa installment 'Destroy All Monsters' this August, I thought I'd celebrate by making a thread about its earlier draft which features a slightly different lineup of Kaiju.

I'd like to see Ebirah as an ally of Godzilla's and love to see Maguma in more Godzilla films and other media. I also personally think they should've planned this for '69 or '74 to celebrate either Godzilla's 15th or 20th anniversary, just like how Godzilla vs. Spacegodzilla & vs. Destoroyah both celebrated the 40th; and have it be a battle between a team of Earth-defending monsters & alien monsters as opposed to just Ghidorah being beat down by ten kaiju.

But those are just my thoughts? How are yours? Please feel free to express your ideas, thoughts & opinions in the comments below. Thank you.

Link below:
https://www.tohokingdom.com/cutting_roo ... ective.htm
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Re: Lost Project Discussion - All Monsters Attack Directive (1968)

Post by Maritonic »

Hmm. I love having Gorosaurus and Anguirus, but it would have been great to have Maguma and Ebirah. Especially having Maguma as some sort of guardian of the base, that just sounds way too cool.

Tricky, though, to wonder how much different it would have been since it sounds like it would have been more or less the same, just with a slightly altered roster.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

I'm sure the movie would've been just as bland and boring with equally boring monsters added to the roster.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

"Bland and boring" are definitely not words I would use to describe Destroy All Monsters.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Maritonic wrote:"Bland and boring" are definitely not words I would use to describe Destroy All Monsters.
It's a movie that's completely carried by its (very well done) special effects sequences. The human scenes are so dull and uninteresting that I find myself falling asleep more often then not while watching it. There's not a single memorable character or scene, aside from maybe when Akira Kubo rips out the lady's earrings.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Though I wouldn't have minded seeing Ebirah (Though I doubt his suit was capable of doing much on land) and Maguma in the film, I'm fine with the roster we got. Also, the lack of Minilla is a bit concerning. Kong in the final film would have been the tits though.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

UltramanGoji wrote:
Maritonic wrote:"Bland and boring" are definitely not words I would use to describe Destroy All Monsters.
It's a movie that's completely carried by its (very well done) special effects sequences. The human scenes are so dull and uninteresting that I find myself falling asleep more often then not while watching it. There's not a single memorable character or scene, aside from maybe when Akira Kubo rips out the lady's earrings.
Huh. Different strokes for different folks, I guess. I've always enjoyed this one. Everything, except for the "Fire Dragon" scene which I completely despise, keeps me entertained. But hey, again, different strokes.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

While it would've been cool to see Ebirah and Maguma return, this movie was Anguirus' big break that took him from what would've been one-hit-wonder, relic of the '50s obscurity to B-list stardom (at least on this side of the Pacific) and planted the seeds for his role as Godzilla's best friend. I wouldn't want to see that taken away from him. Freaking Maguma is that same role is an incredible idea, though.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Maguma and Ebirah are both really boring monsters, just giant animals, and it was smart of Toho or whoever to remove them.

Maguma is just a filler monster in Gorath to add some extra tension.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:Maguma and Ebirah are both really boring monsters, just giant animals, and it was smart of Toho or whoever to remove them.

Maguma is just a filler monster in Gorath to add some extra tension.
And even then, Maguma still doesn't feel like he belongs in Gorath. He's a roadblock in an otherwise satisfying finale.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Honestly, if Maguma wasn't in Gorath I probably wouldn't ever revisit it. He added added a unique concept, that I TRULY wish they explored more, to the story.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Maritonic wrote:Honestly, if Maguma wasn't in Gorath I probably wouldn't ever revisit it. He added added a unique concept, that I TRULY wish they explored more, to the story.
I immensely disagree. He adds nothing to the film as a whole and serves only to be a temporary objective for our heroes that is quickly disposed of as soon as he arrived. He simply doesn't have enough screen-time or thought put into him to be anything major to the story.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

UltramanGoji wrote:
Maritonic wrote:Honestly, if Maguma wasn't in Gorath I probably wouldn't ever revisit it. He added added a unique concept, that I TRULY wish they explored more, to the story.
I immensely disagree. He adds nothing to the film as a whole and serves only to be a temporary objective for our heroes that is quickly disposed of as soon as he arrived. He simply doesn't have enough screen-time or thought put into him to be anything major to the story.
I simply love the concept that immense heat could free an unknown species onto the planet. That's what I meant by a concept that I wish they had explored more; they could have done a lot more with it, but they simply didn't.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Maguma's fun because he's a giant fucking walrus, and I wouldn't have minded seeing him in DAM (or another movie), but to say he's the only reason you'd revisit Gorath is pretty dumb. His scenes certainly don't bring the movie down, but I doubt it'd be much different without them.
Star-studded story of mankind putting aside their differences to save Earth from a dire threat, featuring some excellent effects work < Giant walrus.
Last edited by MaxRebo320 on Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

MaxRebo320 wrote:Maguma's fun because he's a giant fucking walrus, and I wouldn't have minded seeing him in DAM (or another movie), but to say he's the only reason you'd revisit Gorath is pretty dumb. His scenes certainly don't bring the movie down, but I doubt it'd be much different without them.
Star-studded story of mankind putting aside their differences to save Earth from a dire threat, featuring some excellent effects work < Giant walrus.
Thanks for saying my opinion's dumb! 'preciate it!

Not saying it's a bad film, but as i said, I felt the consequences of man's actions unleashing a giant walrus added a flavor to it that made it a cool entry in the "Mankind putting aside differences to save Earth" genre. It was just an added seasoning that made the movie that much more enjoyable for me. Not sure how that constitutes as some sort of "dumb" or offensive thing, but you know around here who the hell ever knows.
Last edited by Maritonic on Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Maritonic wrote:Thanks for saying my opinion's dumb! 'preciate it!

Not saying it's a bad film, but as i said, I felt the consequences of man's actions unleashing a giant walrus added a flavor to it that made it a cool entry in the "Mankind putting aside differences to save Earth" genre. It was just an added seasoning that made the movie that much more enjoyable for me. Not sure how that constitutes as some sort of "dumb" or offensive thing, but you know around here who the hell ever knows.
Well, then allow me to rephrase. I personally find it somewhat bizarre that a single scene that lasts maybe two minutes combined is the only real factor that would make you want to revisit the movie when I feel there's so much else it has to offer. Again, I don't mind the scenes and agree with what you're saying there, but it hardly makes a difference with or without them (Though the Brenco cut is pretty bad from what I've seen).

TitanoGoji16
KWC Kontroller
KWC Kontroller

Post by TitanoGoji16 »

While I would've liked to have seen Ebirah help fight King Ghidorah in the final battle (I can see him latching onto Ghidorah's tails with his claws and being tossed around how Mothra Larva was in Ghidrah), if it meant gaining Minya, Gorosaurus, and especially Anguirus? Yeah, I'm glad things went the way they did.
JAGzilla wrote:While it would've been cool to see Ebirah and Maguma return, this movie was Anguirus' big break that took him from what would've been one-hit-wonder, relic of the '50s obscurity to B-list stardom (at least on this side of the Pacific) and planted the seeds for his role as Godzilla's best friend. I wouldn't want to see that taken away from him. Freaking Maguma is that same role is an incredible idea, though.
Just imagine an alternate timeline in which Maguma teams up with Godzilla to fight Gigan and King Ghidorah, gets thrashed by Mechagodzilla, and is sent by Planet X along with Rodan and King Caesar to take him out. Complete with dialogue like:

Godzilla: "Hey, Maguma! Something funny going on. You better check!"

Shimizu: "Something's wrong. Maguma shouldn't attack his friend, Godzilla."

Karyu Captain: "Damn that seal!"
"Name me one fight where Anguirus didn't get his dick kicked in."

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Mechagodzilla would have a harder time breaking Maguma's jaw, so maybe he'd have ripped one or both tusks out instead. :freak:

Some of the tag-team scenes from Gigan could've been awesome, too. I can picture Godzilla using Maguma like a pickaxe, lifting him up and slamming him tusks-first into Gigan or Ghidorah.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Maguma was easily the dumbest Toho monster up to this point so it's no great loss that it didn't make the final cut.
SonOfGorgo wrote: I also personally think they should've planned this for '69 or '74 to celebrate either Godzilla's 15th or 20th anniversary
That never would have happened. The kaiju boom ended in '67 and it was clear that the second Toho monster cycle was winding down. The Japanese studio system was falling apart, audiences weren't into these films anymore, and the ones who were were able to watch that kind of entertainment for free on television. Holding the movie 'til 1969 to celebrate Godzilla's 15th anniversary makes no sense, it just wouldn't have worked. It makes even less sense to imagine it would have happened in 1974. It was made in 1968 because that's when Tanaka realized he had one chance to bring his A-team (Honda, Tsuburaya, Ifukube) back together for one last hurrah.
just like how Godzilla vs. Spacegodzilla & vs. Destoroyah both celebrated the 40th
Neither of those celebrated Godzilla's 40th anniversary. Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II did.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

Terasawa wrote:That never would have happened. The kaiju boom ended in '67 and it was clear that the second Toho monster cycle was winding down. The Japanese studio system was falling apart, audiences weren't into these films anymore, and the ones who were were able to watch that kind of entertainment for free on television. Holding the movie 'til 1969 to celebrate Godzilla's 15th anniversary makes no sense, it just wouldn't have worked. It makes even less sense to imagine it would have happened in 1974. It was made in 1968 because that's when Tanaka realized he had one chance to bring his A-team (Honda, Tsuburaya, Ifukube) back together for one last hurrah.
Fair enough. Just a thought, that's all. :roll:
Terasawa wrote:Neither of those celebrated Godzilla's 40th anniversary. Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II did.
GvMGII was released in Dec '93, GvSG was released '94, forty years after the original. Right? :eh:
Still the best, 1955... 8-)