Lost Project Discussion - Continuation: King Kong vs. Godzilla (1963)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Lost Project Discussion - Continuation: King Kong vs. Godzilla (1963)

Post by SonOfGorgo »

Since I couldn't find a thread about this pretty scarce yet really interesting piece in the history of the two most famous film monsters, I thought I'd make one myself.

What do you would've happened in this project should it have seen the light of day? What do you think would've been different from its predecessor? Do you think Godzilla would've won this time? Do you think another monster or tow would've been added into the mix?

Please feel free to express your ideas, thoughts & opinions in the comments down below. Thank you.

Link below:
https://www.tohokingdom.com/cutting_roo ... dzilla.htm
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

GojiraGuy2016
GPN Volunteer

Re: Lost Project Discussion - Continuation: King Kong vs. Godzilla (1963)

Post by GojiraGuy2016 »

John LeMay discussed the topic on his THE BIG BOOK OF JAPANESE MONSTER MOVIES - THE LOST FILMS from pages 24 to 27. He translated the info from the Japanese book: "Godzilla: Toho Tokusatsu Unpublished Material Archive: The Era of Tomoyuki Tanaka".

Since the 1962 movie was my introduction to the genre, I think this sequel could have been made, but as a direct follow-up, because Sekizawa planned the end for Godzilla and King Kong at the erupting Mount Aso, which wouldn't not really much to my taste.

On the other hand, a lot of other un-used movies should be made right now. Their potential for good entertainment shouldn't be missed.
Last edited by GojiraGuy2016 on Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

I'm glad we got Mothra vs Godzilla instead.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

GojiraGuy2016
GPN Volunteer

Post by GojiraGuy2016 »

I'm glad we got Mothra vs Godzilla instead.
Oh yes, MOTHRA VS. GODZILLA (1964) is a great, if not one of the greatest sequels EVER! I do remember the moment when I watched the movie for the very first time completely: i got goosebumps from the opening, because of Ifukube's music + the storm scenes. Since I watched the movie without ever seeing a trailer before it.

And to think that this was so long ago and still on my mind: fantastic! You said it!

ArchdukeSquidlyIII
G-Force Personnel

Post by ArchdukeSquidlyIII »

Ivo-goji wrote:I'm glad we got Mothra vs Godzilla instead.
To be fair, there was no Godzilla movie in 1963, so GvKK 2 could have taken that spot that year.

The entire outline of the script was featured in LeMay’s book, and to answer OP’s post, Godzilla and King Kong were both supposed to fall into an active volcano, which surely would have killed Kong.
Last edited by ArchdukeSquidlyIII on Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Please refer to me as jiggy22 (or just jiggy!)

GojiraGuy2016
GPN Volunteer

Post by GojiraGuy2016 »

On the other hand, I personally don't want to miss ATRAGON and MATANGO.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

This is one lost project I'm glad was never put to screen. I think it would've been repetitive and a waste of a film.

MinorBone Good
G-Force Personnel

Post by MinorBone Good »

Since it is going to be a squeal, and no other monsters were going to fight in the battle from the looks of it, I don't think it wouldn't be that good. The only thing that I can see from this that would be different is a better chance of Godzilla to win, but I'm assuming Godzilla would still be the villain. So Kong would just win again.
Current Quatheral Population: 600!
Current Quatheral's Perfected: 283!
The Quatheral Wiki!: https://quatheral.fandom.com/wiki/Quatheral_Wiki
The Quatheral Voices!:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSRtkOo-Lhs

PM me if you wanna join my Discord to see the updates about Quatheral!

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

A detailed plot came out recently and it's nothing new. Moving to Mothra vs Godzilla was a better choice.

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

Godzillian wrote:A detailed plot came out recently and it's nothing new. Moving to Mothra vs Godzilla was a better choice.
Really? Where is it?
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

The plot would have been the following

A Japanese plane crashes in Africa resulting in a search party lead by a man named Nomura. He discovers a single child survived the crash and is being cared for by Kong in the ruins of an ancient city. When a giant scorpion arrives and battles Kong Nomura rescues the child and they flee to Japan with Kong hot on their trail. At the same time Godzillas body is found and transported to a theme park on an island in the Seto inland sea. When Kong arrives at the theme park Godzilla is awoken by electricity and the two battle again. It ends in a draw with each kaiju going their own ways but Kong goes straight to Japan looking for the child. Eventually Kong and Godzilla have a finally battle at Mt. Aso which erupts with both the kaiju being swallowed up by the Volcano.

This is according to The Big Book of Japanese Monster Movies: The Lost Films by John LeMay with all his sources cited from reliable places.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Man, Toho really loved having their monsters devoured by natural cataclysms, didn't they? (Or in the case of Rodan, 'slightly-encouraged-cataclysms'...)
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

It would of only been the 2nd after Rodan, but yeah that is my least favorite way of dealing with the kaiju threat at the end of the film. Worst offender is "The War of the Gargantuas" where it just happens and they are gone, it just ruins the film for me.
Last edited by szmigiel on Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MinorBone Good
G-Force Personnel

Post by MinorBone Good »

I enjoy the idea of having a scorpion kaiju. And the imagery of Godzilla and Kong fighting on an erupting volcano. Other then that, I'm glad this movie never happened.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Sounds like this film would have be okay. I would have gladly taken it as long as we still got the two 64 films.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

Godzillian wrote:The plot would have been the following

A Japanese plane crashes in Africa resulting in a search party lead by a man named Nomura. He discovers a single child survived the crash and is being cared for by Kong in the ruins of an ancient city. When a giant scorpion arrives and battles Kong Nomura rescues the child and they flee to Japan with Kong hot on their trail. At the same time Godzillas body is found and transported to a theme park on an island in the Seto inland sea. When Kong arrives at the theme park Godzilla is awoken by electricity and the two battle again. It ends in a draw with each kaiju going their own ways but Kong goes straight to Japan looking for the child. Eventually Kong and Godzilla have a finally battle at Mt. Aso which erupts with both the kaiju being swallowed up by the Volcano.

This is according to The Big Book of Japanese Monster Movies: The Lost Films by John LeMay with all his sources cited from reliable places.
I wonder where John got that info from.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Shhh! The Octopus wrote:I wonder where John got that info from.
Can confirm there's a 6-page plot synopsis in "Godzilla" Toho Special Effects Unpublished Material Archive: Producer Tomoyuki Tanaka and His Era, a book John sources several times for other projects.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

I don't know if this belongs in the KWC section, but I'll just throw it in the water and see if it floats. A long time ago I made up an idea for a second battle. Somehow Godzilla and King Kong were going to be captured and brought to a giant stadium/amphitheater in Japan with a giant clear dome over it and made to fight each other until both of them were killed. Not only that, the battle was also going to be televised all over the world. Think of it as a dogfight, but with kaiju. It's only an idea, though; I'm not that good at writing it out or anything. If anyone wants to do anything with it, go right ahead.
Last edited by mikelcho on Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:12 am, edited 3 times in total.

MinorBone Good
G-Force Personnel

Post by MinorBone Good »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Godzilla vs Hedorah 2 supposed to take place in Africa too? Also on location as well?

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

MinorBone Good wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Godzilla vs Hedorah 2 supposed to take place in Africa too? Also on location as well?
I think that you're right on both counts. At least, I know that you're right on the first one.