Cozzilla - Restored!!

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
GenoCuddy
Ronin

Re: Cozzilla - Restored!!

Post by GenoCuddy »

Maritonic wrote:
goji1986 wrote:
Maritonic wrote:I'm unsure if this has been asked before, forgive me if it has, but would/could you sell DVD copies of this? Any sort of plan? I know that it wouldn't be official, but I know sometimes fans do this (such as one fan who was passionate about The Last Shark and released his own restoration on DVD).

If he did, not only would that be highly illegal, but the mere discussion of it on these forums would not be permitted. You're better off just downloading the movie from the site he's provided and finding your own means of burning if that's how you wish to preserve it.
I wasn't *entirely* clear in my wording, my apologies. I wasn't really asking for myself, I just wasn't sure if there was any intention of doing so. As I said, there was that fan restoration of The Last Shark that comes to mind when I think of this, so I wasn't sure if something similar could be done here. Sorry about the lack of clarity there.

This looks really awesome, from what little I've seen of the restoration.
As much as I would love to release a pristine DVD/Blu of this, the licensing would be a nightmare. Toho has a very heavy legal foot and have showed no interest in preserving this film, there is also footage from other films that were thrown in, The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms and a French film called The Train. I suppose the analogous to this would be The Man Who Saved The World, known better as the Turkish Star Wars, a film that no matter how much fans beckon for it, the rights issues will be hectic to say the least. I remain optimistic, and not to be a narcissist, but at this point I feel my restoration will be the best we will ever see of this particular title.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Maritonic wrote:I wasn't *entirely* clear in my wording, my apologies. I wasn't really asking for myself, I just wasn't sure if there was any intention of doing so. As I said, there was that fan restoration of The Last Shark that comes to mind when I think of this, so I wasn't sure if something similar could be done here. Sorry about the lack of clarity there.
I know the person responsible for that release, and he went through the actual rights holder in order to be able to release it on home video. It wasn't really a "fan restoration", since he was given film elements to work with from the rights holder, had them scanned, and then released it on his Retrovision label; which was an officially licensed product.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

GenoCuddy
Ronin

Post by GenoCuddy »

Goji wrote:
Maritonic wrote:I wasn't *entirely* clear in my wording, my apologies. I wasn't really asking for myself, I just wasn't sure if there was any intention of doing so. As I said, there was that fan restoration of The Last Shark that comes to mind when I think of this, so I wasn't sure if something similar could be done here. Sorry about the lack of clarity there.
I know the person responsible for that release, and he went through the actual rights holder in order to be able to release it on home video. It wasn't really a "fan restoration", since he was given film elements to work with from the rights holder, had them scanned, and then released it on his Retrovision label; which was an officially licensed product.
Good old Brannon Carty, had on my podcast a few years back, we talked about the Turkish Star Wars.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Goji wrote:
Ahh, I stand corrected then. Really came across like a fan restoration, in the best way possible of course.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Relair
Monsterland Worker

Post by Relair »

Oh wow, nice! I just recently learned this existed in the 3rd volume of The Big Book of Japanese Giant Monster Movies. Excellent job!

GenoCuddy
Ronin

Post by GenoCuddy »

I pulled the first two attempts from Archive.org, I am working closely with a friend to create a better version, it will be released through his Cinemageddon account and possibly elsewhere, I am looking to film an intro which will be tacked on to the restoration, please be patient during this process, thank you.

FloorMat116
Ronin

Post by FloorMat116 »

Can’t wait to see what you come up with!

Kore321
Yojimbo

Post by Kore321 »

Awesome, great work. Will there be subtitles?

Thank you again for your hard work!!

GenoCuddy
Ronin

Post by GenoCuddy »

Kore321 wrote:Awesome, great work. Will there be subtitles?

I have a friend who is helping me with that, thanks for the kind words.

Snake
Samurai

Post by Snake »

You know, I once friended Luigi Cozzi on Facebook. We never spoke though, and it was on an old account.
They never found any corpse.

GenoCuddy
Ronin

Post by GenoCuddy »

Snake wrote:You know, I once friended Luigi Cozzi on Facebook. We never spoke though, and it was on an old account.
We rarely speak but he's in support of my efforts as far as I know.
Last edited by GenoCuddy on Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

GenoCuddy
Ronin

Post by GenoCuddy »

Well everyone, here is the sad story, my computer bit the bullet last week and I wound up losing everything on my hard drive including the new Cozzilla restoration that was in progress, luckily though I had saved one of my attempts on a DVD so I present to you my ultimate Cozzilla restoration, here is the file, ripped from DVD, this is all that survives of my efforts, thank you for the kind comments and support.
https://archive.org/details/CozzillaRestoredGenoCuddy
Last edited by GenoCuddy on Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

G-MAN
Interpol Agent

Post by G-MAN »

GenoCuddy wrote:

There already are subtitles that were included with the original version of this before you changed the frame rate as I've seen the original version that you got your copy from.

GenoCuddy
Ronin

Post by GenoCuddy »

G-MAN wrote:
GenoCuddy wrote:

There already are subtitles that were included with the original version of this before you changed the frame rate as I've seen the original version that you got your copy from.
Alright, I've had it with you attacking me and telling me I intentionally changed the FPS, you are just being an asshole now, and you are incorrect about the copy I got having subs, show me proof bro, would love to see it, btw, I know where you got it, Ed Glaser. I trusted him with the file and he leaked it out without my permission. I am sick of replying to you, and your salacious attacks, I sent you a civil message about this, but you chose to ignore it, instead choosing to keep up with your unwarranted attacks against me, you are nothing more than a mere troll, looking to get some kicks, I am no longer feeding your ego and am blocking you on this site.