Yoshio Tsuchiya Passes Away 1927-2017

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
TheSecondComing
Futurian

Re: Yoshio Tsuchiya Passes Away 1927-2017

Post by TheSecondComing »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:One thing I remember is that he really really wanted to work on the original Godzilla but was unable to do so as he was filming Seven Samurai at the time. So whenever he'd get a break from filming he'd head over to the Godzilla set to watch them film.

That's way cool, I've not heard this story before. A facebook comment I read said that he was the final surviving actor from Seven Samurai though.

UltimateDitto
EDF Instructor

Post by UltimateDitto »

Rest in peace Mr. Tsuchiya, I will always remember you as Mr. Shindo from GvKG, I would watch it on an almost weekly basis as a kid and out of all the human scenes, the one where Mr. Shindo stands eye to eye with Godzilla one last time, always stuck with me.

God bless you Mr. Tsuchiya!
"There's no respect for Legendary Godzilla on this site. None. Bemular? Really?" - Juan, 2019

Tournament stats: 2 wins - 3 losses
I ♡ Image

GalacticPetey
Gotengo Officer

Post by GalacticPetey »

Really late on this, but this is devastating. The Controller and Shindo are some of the most memorable characters across all the films. Recently I've been reading some of his comments and I'm seeing just how big a fan he was.

Rest In Peace.
I can't believe that Godzilla was the only surviving member of its species, but if we continue conducting nuclear tests, it's possible that another Godzilla might appear somewhere in the world again.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Shindo and the Controller... What an actor. Brought such depth to his roles. Rest in peace. Still heartbroken.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

HerryGrail
Yojimbo

Post by HerryGrail »

I'm coming about a month late to this sad news...he is one of my all-time favorites. In fact, this year I've been catching up on his work, including the revival of "Funeral Parade of Roses" that's been making the art-house rounds thanks to a recent restoration. I had hoped he was enjoying the notices he was getting, but he had in fact already passed.

Just last year he appeared in the Mifune documentary "The Last Samurai" (very nicely billed), and his performance in "Seven Samurai" was truly star-making. (Now only Yukiko Shimazaki, who appeared briefly as his wife, survives among the cast.) I regret missing my usual routine last month because of the hurricanes and sharing in the news when it was first reported. But knowing he actually died in February suggests to me that his spirit may have inspired my heightened interest in his work over these past several months.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

RIP good sir, at least you lived a long good life. :(