Talkback: Atragon (1963)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
User avatar
Monster Zero
EDF Soldier
Posts: 3093
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:57 am
Location: Guy City, Minnesota
Contact:

Re: Talkback: Atragon (1963)

Postby Monster Zero » Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:42 pm

I never saw this movie before. The only reason I would ever watch this would be because it's a kaiju film.
Resized Image
Hey You! Do you like Comics?! Me too! Which is why I Partnered With my Best Friend to Create a Comic that we Love to Make! It's Called "Roomies!"
https://tapas.io/series/RoomiesofGuyCity
Please Check it Out if You're Interested!
And here's the official Twitter page! Give us a follow for updates, please!
https://twitter.com/RoomiesComic

20th Century Boy
EDF Soldier
Posts: 3615
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:39 pm

Re: Talkback: Atragon (1963)

Postby 20th Century Boy » Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:53 pm

monster zero wrote:I never saw this movie before. The only reason I would ever watch this would be because it's a kaiju film.

Manda only appears briefly at the end, but trust me, the rest of the movie is worth watching. One of Toho's best, really. The DVD is going in and out of print here and there, so if I were you, I'd jump on it fast.

20th Century Boy
EDF Soldier
Posts: 3615
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:39 pm

Re: Talkback: Atragon (1963)

Postby 20th Century Boy » Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:01 pm

Godzilla 1995 wrote:Can I disagree? I found the movie mediocre at best, really.

Why is that? Can you elaborate?

20th Century Boy
EDF Soldier
Posts: 3615
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:39 pm

Re: Talkback: Atragon (1963)

Postby 20th Century Boy » Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:06 pm

I'll admit, the action scenes were a little less than stellar, but I thought the characters were what made the movie compelling. Captain Jinguji was a great character because he was initially blinded by his strong nationalism to Japan, enough to live in secrecy away from his daughter and society, and refusing to use his warship to fight the Mu. When he reunites with his daughter, she attempts to talk to him kindly, but even she is disgusted by his arrogance and blind nationalism. However, in the end, he decides to overcome these feelings and use the Atragon for the good of humanity and not just his own and his country's interests. When the ship finally takes flight, I really felt that emotional charge that I felt for the Mothras in Mothra vs. Godzilla. It's the character that truly compliments the special effects scenes, and gives us something to care about. In my opinion, Captain Jinguji and his daughter drove the movie, and were better characters than our "front row" protagonists. Their personalities reflect on the themes of the movie, which is why they were given more focus than the Mu Empire. It's a movie about the solution more than the problem, hence why it's called Atragon, after the ship that saves the day, instead of something that focuses on the ostensible antagonist like Attack of the Mu Empire.

User avatar
MandaSaurus
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 10564
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:40 pm
Location: Somewhere between Copperas Cove & Huntsville TX

Re: Talkback: Atragon (1963)

Postby MandaSaurus » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:02 am

So much talk about me here!!! ;)

Actually, I've never seen this movie, but I'd like to! I think of the MOVIE as "Atragon", the ship by it's Japanese name, 'Gotengo'( Roaring Heaven ). I happen to own the Revoltech 'Gotengo' - it's pretty nice.

User avatar
Godzillian
Kwaidan
Posts: 5558
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:36 pm

Re: Talkback: Atragon (1963)

Postby Godzillian » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:44 pm

Have yet to see it but I wish manda wasn't just thrown into the mix and was focused a little more in the film.
Image

Moonewe73
Ronin
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:12 pm

Re: Talkback: Atragon (1963)

Postby Moonewe73 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:11 am

Gonna turn 50 on the 22nd next month! I know what my Sunday afternoon matinee is gonna be. :huge:

User avatar
Kaiju no Kami
Futurian
Posts: 1707
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:46 pm
Location: Colorado

Re: Talkback: Atragon (1963)

Postby Kaiju no Kami » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:04 pm

I just watched this for the first time and it was quite good. I do feel like the movie dropped in quality during its last 20 minutes because they just killed the Mus in cold blood, but other than that, I enjoyed it. The effects on Manda were not the greatest though and he really didn't do much. Overall, I'd give it a 7/10.

Online
User avatar
Pkmatrix
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2970
Joined: Fri May 06, 2011 12:19 pm

Re: Talkback: Atragon (1963)

Postby Pkmatrix » Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:40 am

I should give this another watch, but I recall when I first watched it a year or so ago I felt a little let down. I think I let the movie's reputation build up my expectations too much. It was a fine movie and all, just not as good as I'd hoped it would be. I think I just need to sit with it again. :)

Also: has anyone here read the original novel, Kaitei Gunkan by Shunro Oshikawa? I've been intrigued by the book ever since I read the detailed plot summary published in G-Fan back in the '90s and have always wanted to read it. It's interesting just how different Toho's movie is from the book it adapted, the two share so little in common.

User avatar
eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 10694
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:16 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Talkback: Atragon (1963)

Postby eabaker » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:48 pm

I agree that the reputation of this one can build expectations that it doesn't quite live up to. I consider it a collection of really good elements that doesn't quite tie together into an effective whole. But lord is Jun Tazaki good!
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

User avatar
ThunderScore
Yin-Yang Master
Posts: 301
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:13 am

Re: Talkback: Atragon (1963)

Postby ThunderScore » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:10 pm

Image

Bubbazilla
Ronin
Posts: 29
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:41 pm

Re: Talkback: Atragon (1963)

Postby Bubbazilla » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:34 pm

I liked the when they used freeze rays to kick barbarian butt. I want Manda to get a stand alone monster movie, too. Manda is such a fascinating monster, too.

User avatar
KaijuFiend
Rainbowzilla
Posts: 1961
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:14 pm
Location: Earth
Contact:

Re: Talkback: Atragon (1963)

Postby KaijuFiend » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:47 pm

This was a very fun film with tons of cool concepts. Definitely a great Toho scifi film. I didn't find Manda's minimal screentime to be a problem since the film isn't really about him, though it definitely would have been better if he had done a bit more.
Image

User avatar
Stevo_1985
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 916
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:42 pm

Re: Talkback: Atragon (1963)

Postby Stevo_1985 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:05 pm

I just watched this for the first time last week. I find it to be a great flick. The gotengo imo is one of the more cooler military monsters created by toho. Who the hell does not want a flying submarine. Captaij Jin was a great character and Tazaki played him well... Now. I always knew of this film, and for years was under the assumption this ship itself was called atragon, the final wars gotengo was just another class of the same varient. Then I discovered Ive been living a lie. Us silly americans goofed again and named the film and the vessel Atragon. But now I find the name Atragon just seems to roll off the tongue better. And i get the whole roaring heaven thing. But I just can't seem to break the habit. Calling it the Atragon just feels more natural to me.
Image

Sorry Kiryu
#Notmymechagodzilla

User avatar
Space Hunter M
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2802
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:47 am
Location: party city Butt
Contact:

Re: Talkback: Atragon (1963)

Postby Space Hunter M » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:36 pm


The Atoragon dub is a riot.
TK's only diehard RMA King Arthur series historian
"All you did was download the ROMs anyway! You can hardly call yourself a real fan!"

I THINK IT STINKS!
SuperMonsterZero wrote:Mire Goji. That must be the Godzilla from the Italian Dogora poster.

ImageImageImage
"Follow the light. The light is your guide."
"Cherenkov light?"

ก็อตซิลลา
哥吉拉


Follow me on the tumblebox

User avatar
Mr_Goji_and_Watch
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2330
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:34 pm
Location: le kinoplex locale
Contact:

Re: Talkback: Atragon (1963)

Postby Mr_Goji_and_Watch » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:53 am

Watched this movie again yesterday with a furry friend of mine. He though it was alright, but I liked it. Admiral dude and his daughter played great roles and the allegory to Imperial Japan and WW2 was well done. The effects by Tsuburaya and crew were well done for the time and the score by Ifukube is great. The Gotengo itself has a great presence all throughout the movie. Manda was shoehorned in and there's some shoddy effects scenes but for the most part it's a good movie.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)

on 12-31-2017, Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:Nobody in the West can do the Oxygen Destroyer justice, especially not for some new Godzilla popcorn flick.

User avatar
Grievous
Terminated
Terminated
Posts: 1564
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:27 pm

Re: Talkback: Atragon (1963)

Postby Grievous » Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:43 am

I've never been able to "Get" this one.

I think it has some great ideas...but overall it falls kind of flat for me.
Image
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

User avatar
eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 10694
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:16 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Talkback: Atragon (1963)

Postby eabaker » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:49 pm

I was watching Atragon last night, and I found myself really wishing that Akihiko Hirata and Kenji Sahara shared more screentime in that flick. Sahara is chewing so much scenery and Hirata is so restrained, they'd make a great straight man/second banana team.

It'd probably make it a much more entertaining, memorable movie overall.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

GojiDog
Interpol Agent
Posts: 640
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:16 pm

Re: Talkback: Atragon (1963)

Postby GojiDog » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:56 pm

I am kind of torn on Manda in this film.

The build up is great, the payoff is lame as Manda barely does anything.

If you take him out, you probably don't lose that much. But then again, would I have watched this movie if it wasn't the movie that introduced Manda?

I mean I am the same guy that stayed up till 5:00AM to watch Frankenstein Conquers the World just so I could see Baragon's first movie.

So on one hand, the movie works without the monster, but because of the monster, I got introduced to a pretty cool Sci-Fi/War movie that often gets overlooked.

Its almost like they used a monster to trick me into watching something different, but neat.

User avatar
Godzillian
Kwaidan
Posts: 5558
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:36 pm

Re: Talkback: Atragon (1963)

Postby Godzillian » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:09 pm

GojiDog wrote:I am kind of torn on Manda in this film.

The build up is great, the payoff is lame as Manda barely does anything.

If you take him out, you probably don't lose that much. But then again, would I have watched this movie if it wasn't the movie that introduced Manda?

I mean I am the same guy that stayed up till 5:00AM to watch Frankenstein Conquers the World just so I could see Baragon's first movie.

So on one hand, the movie works without the monster, but because of the monster, I got introduced to a pretty cool Sci-Fi/War movie that often gets overlooked.

Its almost like they used a monster to trick me into watching something different, but neat.

He was just throw in to cash in on the growing kaiju craze
Image


Return to “Showa Series (1930's-1970's)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests