Talkback: Atragon (1963)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Terasawa
G-Grasper

Re: Talkback: Atragon (1963)

Postby Terasawa » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:29 pm

Manda is the best integrated in its film of all the "only in the movie because Tanaka wanted to cash in on Godzilla" kaiju. Manda then Mogera then Maguma lagging far behind.

Major sssspielberg!
Samurai

Postby Major sssspielberg! » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:08 pm

It's been years since I've seen this one. Loaned it to a friend and haven't got it back. One of my personal favorites tho. As @Terasawa said Manda is the best instance of a "Tanaka Kaiju" though I wish he'd had a little more to do. The soundtrack is excellent, my buddy actually turned one of the themes into a beat for me to freestyle to years ago! If you bear in mind the immensely rushed production scheduale the film is very impressive, though I can understand if some parts of the climax are a bit underwhelming for some. The Media Blasters dub is a skreeonking riot too. "Imma Gohst?!?!"
PitchBlackProgress wrote:Minya’s got class, dude one-shot Ghidorah and got all that MonsterLand p****y afterwards.

:xilien: :xilien: :xilien: Join me in.... Escape! :xilien: :xilien: :xilien:

Gothicserpent
Futurian

Postby Gothicserpent » Wed May 22, 2019 10:25 am

Just watched it.

Its bad.
"HAY ANGUIRUS"
"WHADDA WANT?"
"SUMPTIN FUNNEH GOIN ON, YOU BETTAH CHECK!"
"OKAY"

GTU wrote:There are so many concept versions of Bagan they could give him his own toyline. That's why I'm banking on a Monsterarts sub-line called SH Baganarts.

MaxRebo320
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby MaxRebo320 » Wed May 22, 2019 12:17 pm

Gothicserpent wrote:Just watched it.

Its bad.

You wanna elaborate on that, or is it just because Manda was hardly in it?
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Mr_Goji_and_Watch » Wed May 22, 2019 12:27 pm

It's a bit slow at times but there are some really great scenes that elevate the production.

Wait I mean WTF is this globalist libcuck propaganda??!
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)

on 12-31-2017, Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:Nobody in the West can do the Oxygen Destroyer justice, especially not for some new Godzilla popcorn flick.

Gothicserpent
Futurian

Postby Gothicserpent » Wed May 22, 2019 12:38 pm

MaxRebo320 wrote:
Gothicserpent wrote:Just watched it.

Its bad.

You wanna elaborate on that, or is it just because Manda was hardly in it?

Its slow, there's hardly any focus on Mu, the Atragon itself really doesn't do much, Manda feels like an afterthought, aside from the captain the characters are all forgettable, the climax is weak.

I will say that some of the effects work is great and I like how big the film feels, but that's really it.
"HAY ANGUIRUS"
"WHADDA WANT?"
"OKAY"

GTU wrote:There are so many concept versions of Bagan they could give him his own toyline. That's why I'm banking on a Monsterarts sub-line called SH Baganarts.

Terasawa
G-Grasper

Postby Terasawa » Wed May 22, 2019 12:50 pm

Considering the entire movie was made in approximately three months this is one of the best Honda/Tsuburaya/Ifukube films.

Gothicserpent
Futurian

Postby Gothicserpent » Wed May 22, 2019 5:36 pm

Terasawa wrote:Considering the entire movie was made in approximately three months this is one of the best Honda/Tsuburaya/Ifukube films.

Just because it was made quickly and looks very good doesn't mean that it is.
"HAY ANGUIRUS"
"WHADDA WANT?"
"OKAY"

MaxRebo320
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby MaxRebo320 » Thu May 23, 2019 11:44 am

I will give you this, I do feel the movie is bloated with a few too many characters that wind up serving little to no purpose once they arrive on the island. I feel with minor adjustments, you could remove Yu Fujiki (As much as I love his chemistry with Takashima) and Hiroshi Koizumi (Likewise, that's how I feel about his character in Dogora) and have pretty much the same movie.
Last edited by MaxRebo320 on Thu May 23, 2019 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Joseph Goodman
Samurai

Postby Joseph Goodman » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:24 pm

What's the deal with the 1968 "revised" version of this film? Is it a short version a la the Champion Festival cuts?

Return to “Showa Series (1930's-1970's)”