What if the original Godzilla had survived?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Kaeyas
GPN Volunteer

What if the original Godzilla had survived?

Post by Kaeyas »

I was inspired to write this post after seeing all the interesting scenarios which could play out in the "What If Anguirus had Killed Godzilla" post.
I am interested to see what you guys think. I'm mostly interested to see how fellow G-ites would see the Showa series play out had this occurred. Things like: would the series have played out pretty similarly? Would it have gone on longer or ended sooner? Etc. In my opinion, this opens up a TON of possible scenarios. This should be VERY interesting. To a lesser degree, I'm also curious as to how ya'll think G could have somehow survived the Oxygen Destroyer. Lots of possibilities there as well. Here's the scenario. Godzilla has somehow survived the O2 Destroyer but Japan and the rest of the world believe him to be dead. He doesn't show back up again until the final battle between the other Godzilla and Anguirus begins to take place. Near the beginning of the battle, he's spotted rising out of the water and returning to shore.

My opinion of how things play out will probably be a bit long so I will only post what I think happens first. I will continue adding to the progression over the next few weeks or so. I'm very interested to see others opinions on this so tell me how you think things play out differently.

So Serizawa enters the water and activates the O2 Destroyer, sacrificing himself in the process. Godzilla is resting near the ocean floor when the device is activated. His tail is sticking up vertically so it's the first part of Godzilla's body to feel it's immense power. With his tail quickly being evaporated, Godzilla's survival instinct goes into overdrive and he quickly begins to burrow into the sand beneath him and finds a huge sinkhole (beneath some sort of hardened ocean debris)which he's able to enter under the sand. He's quick about burrowing down, but not quick enough and he's severely wounded. Although, he escapes death, he's on the brink with nearly half of his body disintegrated. (I'm going to assume, for the purpose of this post at least, that he has a similar ability to regenerate as his future Heisei brother). He manages to pull himself 1000 meters or so into this hidden hole all the while it's caving in around him. He survives after basically being buried alive and goes into a brief hibernation allowing his body to slowly regenerate his massive injuries. A year or so passes, and he's about 80% recovered. He's regrown most of his tissue and damaged limbs besides his dorsal plates (which had been basically completely dissolved off by the O2 Destroyer) which have only had time to grow half the size they were before. He's awakened by the loud sounds of bombs, destruction and the cries of two battling creatures. He is still in a somewhat weakened state, but feels threatened. So he digs his way out and surfaces not to far from where G#2 and Anguirus are fighting. It now becomes a triple threat as all monsters now feel threatened by the presence of the others. I still see Anguirus meeting a similar fate regardless of which G kills him. I then see G#2 having a slight advantage over OG(original Godzilla) since he's still not completely recovered from the O2 Destroyer. I don't see either monster killing the other(at least not at this point) but probably see G#2 being the victor. After being defeated and again a bit more wounded, I see OG returning to the ocean to recover (Perhaps back to the hole he had been in?). G#2(who is also a somewhat wounded) battles the JDF for a bit longer before returning to the ocean and finding his own spot to recover. I do not see him getting led to and trapped by the ice as his instinct now is to rest and recover.

This changes alot! Lol the entire timeline is probably MASSIVELY twisted from just the fact that G#2 was not stopped let alone the return of OG! I will continue soon. Opinions?
Dedicated To Darkness..

Cybermat47
Interpol Agent

Re: What if the original Godzilla had survived?

Post by Cybermat47 »

Interesting idea. I haven't seen many Shōwa movies (and I still haven't finished watching GRA), but I'll do my best to theorise what would happen.

Concept art for G54 showed a whole pack of Godzillas living with each other. While this isn't canon, nothing really contradicts it either. Based on this, I would imagine that Shodai Godzilla and Shōwa Godzilla would co-operate, killing Anguirus and laying waste to Osaka.

The Godzillas would routinely raid Japan and other Asian nations, leading to increasing co-operation between Communist and Democratic states, perhaps even preventing the Vietnam War from starting - the Godzillas were a greater threat.

King Kong would be killed by the Godzilla pair, due to their immense combined strength.

If the Mothra twins could divide the Godzillas and over-power them, though, I would imagine that their fight would have pretty much the same results.

Rodan is overpowered and killed by the Godzillas, who then, possibly with Mothra's aid, defeat King Ghidorah.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Well the two Godzillas would wreck Showa KG, I know that.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

What if the original DID survive all along and there actually were two Godzilla's throughout the Showa series?

It would explain where Minilla came from.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

Kaeyas
GPN Volunteer

Post by Kaeyas »

I agree that King Ghidorah wouldn't have much of a chance in this scenario. In fact, I doubt he would even survive the first encounter which in itself changes the time line. Be interesting to see what happens when Hedorah shows up. If both Godzilla's are still "bad"(and I use this lightly as really just not helping or intentionally hurting humanity.) I still believe they would see Hedorah as a threat to their survival. This may be the point when a surviving Mothra (if there are any by now) convinces the two monsters to side with humanity to beat the bigger threat that is Hedorah. Up until that point, I don't see any reason why they would join up with Mothra and or Rodan since they would probably have killed Ghidorah on their own.
Dedicated To Darkness..

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Kaeyas wrote:I agree that King Ghidorah wouldn't have much of a chance in this scenario. In fact, I doubt he would even survive the first encounter which in itself changes the time line. Be interesting to see what happens when Hedorah shows up. If both Godzilla's are still "bad"(and I use this lightly as really just not helping or intentionally hurting humanity.) I still believe they would see Hedorah as a threat to their survival. This may be the point when a surviving Mothra (if there are any by now) convinces the two monsters to side with humanity to beat the bigger threat that is Hedorah. Up until that point, I don't see any reason why they would join up with Mothra and or Rodan since they would probably have killed Ghidorah on their own.
If this be the case, then there might be a severe problem before then; if there is no Mothra, doesn't everyone on the Red Bamboo Island die? And if one (or both) Godzillas are there, don't they perish in the explosion (without the 'warning' to leave before the island explodes)? (Or, if some fan theories are true, are empowered/mutated further by absorbing the radiation while not being killed by the shockwave?)

In best-case scenario, only one Godzilla is there and is blown to smithereens. Worst case, both are there and are destroyed (Hedorah conquers the world unless... well, I already speculated that AU in another thread... :) ) or are mutated into horrific aberrations, vs. Destroyah-style, that become a clear and present threat to humanity.

(Unless, of course, we take Godzilla's canonball to be a spontaneous action that he would've performed even if he hadn't been distracted by a mini-fight with Mothra, and the shouted warnings of both humans and- potentially- Mothra itself?)
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Two Godzillas would create a serious situation for shipping routes in the Pacific. There'd be a constant military presence monitoring the water and shore, but the threat would increase cooperation between nations. I could also see an increasing arms race to try and deal with the monsters.

The twin larvae would be in big trouble with two Godzillas. I can't see them winning against two of them.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Cybermat47
Interpol Agent

Post by Cybermat47 »

edgaguirus wrote:The twin larvae would be in big trouble with two Godzillas. I can't see them winning against two of them.
If they could seperate the two Godzillas, and ambush one at a time, I think they could win.

GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

Would King Ghidorah really be doomed? Rodan seemed to be Godzilla's equal in that movie, and if Rodan and Mothra are dead/unable to fight, then it would just be the two Gojis. I'm not saying KG wouldn't be driven away, but I don't think it would be that different. I'll give my thoughts on the rest of this what-if timeline later, just wanted to get that out.
KWC Co-Operations Manager
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

GodzillavsRayquaza wrote:Would King Ghidorah really be doomed? Rodan seemed to be Godzilla's equal in that movie, and if Rodan and Mothra are dead/unable to fight, then it would just be the two Gojis. I'm not saying KG wouldn't be driven away, but I don't think it would be that different. I'll give my thoughts on the rest of this what-if timeline later, just wanted to get that out.
Exactly.

Plus, all this speculation is assuming the two Godzilla's would be cooperative with each other or even be in the same locations at various points in the timeline. Being large predators they would more likely be fairly territorial.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Well G54 would probably want to team up with the other Godzilla, since G54 lost his family to the atomic bomb. They would probably become best friends "Step Brothers" style. Sure Rodan may have been Godzilla's equal in a way, but thats like two atomic beams hitting ya. Xiliens would probably take control of them, but then the humans would brake them free. Then Minilla would come along, and eventually there would be 3 Godzillas.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Unless they died on the Red Bamboo island. ;)

Added in 31 minutes 43 seconds:
GodzillavsRayquaza wrote:Would King Ghidorah really be doomed? Rodan seemed to be Godzilla's equal in that movie, and if Rodan and Mothra are dead/unable to fight, then it would just be the two Gojis. I'm not saying KG wouldn't be driven away, but I don't think it would be that different. I'll give my thoughts on the rest of this what-if timeline later, just wanted to get that out.
Let's find out.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

The Royal SCP
Yojimbo

Post by The Royal SCP »

What comes to my mind is that the Godzilla Against MechaGodzilla and Tokyo S.O.S. would not have happened or would be vastly different, since MechaGodzilla 3 was built around the original Godzilla's bones!
The TRUE Royal SCP

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

I can tell you, there wouldn't be some -------- Godzilla team-up, I'd say they'd either go their separate ways, one going to America and one staying in Japan, or they'd just fight it out Raids Again style until the end of time.
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Lain Of The Wired wrote:I can tell you, there wouldn't be some -------- Godzilla team-up, I'd say they'd either go their separate ways, one going to America and one staying in Japan, or they'd just fight it out Raids Again style until the end of time.
How is it --------? :|

Cybermat47
Interpol Agent

Post by Cybermat47 »

Lain Of The Wired wrote:I can tell you, there wouldn't be some -------- Godzilla team-up, I'd say they'd either go their separate ways, one going to America and one staying in Japan, or they'd just fight it out Raids Again style until the end of time.
Actually, concept art for G54 showed a pack of Godzillas living together, before the H-bomb tests destroyed their environment, so it's not inconveivable.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

I don't think that's concept art. It was probably done many years after the film came out.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Its not concept art at all...

Cybermat47
Interpol Agent

Post by Cybermat47 »

Terasawa wrote:I don't think that's concept art. It was probably done many years after the film came out.
Lain Of The Wired wrote:Its not concept art at all...
My apologies, it was listed as concept art where I found it.

However, if the art was released after the film, doesn't that make it even more relevant?

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

No, not really. Retcon is stupid.