Monster Discussion #26: Gabara

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
JVM
Xilien Halfling

Monster Discussion #26: Gabara

Post by JVM »

Discuss this Showa series "Kaiju Freddy Kruger"
Last edited by JVM on Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

Starfishman
Monarch Researcher

Re: Monster Discussion #26: Gabara

Post by Starfishman »

Gabara is a strange looking monster. He sounds like a car that won't start up.

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

JVM wrote:Yeah. I think he's overrated. Lately a lot of fans have suddenly begun to find him awesome.
He IS awesome!!! :mad:

I loved the character as a child, and my opinion is still the same. :D
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

Blackout286
JXSDF Technician

Post by Blackout286 »

Legion1979 wrote:How the hell is Gabara overrated? You want overrated? Try Biollante, Space Godzilla or Armor Mothra. I fail to see a large majority of people praising Gabara the way they do some other monsters.
^This

For the most part fans find Gabara laughable to a noticeable extent, but he is fairly awesome in his own right. Tormenting Minilla all day, even I have to admit is pretty entertaining. But really I have to agree with Legion here, he's not overrated and I haven't really notice any large fanbase for this kaiju.

Lionblaze
JXSDF Technician

Post by Lionblaze »

Well he has been getting more fans lately, thought he isnt a favorite of mine, I find him to be unique.
Shadow Area Record
Wins: 17. Losses: 14.

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

Legion1979 wrote:How the hell is Gabara overrated? You want overrated? Try Biollante, Space Godzilla or Armor Mothra. I fail to see a large majority of people praising Gabara the way they do some other monsters.
AM isn't overrated. Because if it was overrated, AH would be right, and God knows nobody on this forum would allow that to happen.

Bio? Haven't seen her movie, can't say.

SpaceGodzilla? Yeah.

But I saw a lot of Gabara praise in the VG section, and the All Monsters Attack thread. No, not EVERYBODY loves him, but he's got a fair amount of fans.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

HayesAJones
Keizer

Post by HayesAJones »

He plays his part nicely and he has a cool roar. I could see him returning as a cannon-fodder foe, but not much else.

Arrow
Gotengo Officer

Post by Arrow »

JVM wrote:But I saw a lot of Gabara praise in the VG section, and the All Monsters Attack thread. No, not EVERYBODY loves him, but he's got a fair amount of fans.
I guess King Ghidorah, Rodan, Gigan, Angurius, and Mechagodzilla are now overrated because they've got "a fair amount of fans".

From what I can gather, Gabara is one of the more underrated monsters if anything. He's not one of my favorites, but he works for the film he's in. I'd say he works quite well, in fact.
This. But you forgot Destoroyah. ;)

HayesAJones
Keizer

Post by HayesAJones »

Legion1979 wrote:
This. But you forgot Destoroyah. ;)
I forgot Grand King Ghidora too. Cut me some slack. It's impossible to keep up with all the monsters that aren't really that great but for some reason are well loved just because they're so powerful.
Did you ever think that maybe it's because they just think they're cool? If someone likes a monster that's powerful, it doesn't automatically make it because they're powerful. At lest not for everyone. I personally love Destoroyah, but it's not because of power alone.

Blackout286
JXSDF Technician

Post by Blackout286 »

Well even though Gabara is underrated, he's not to the point of Varan. Gabara is good enough in his own right and did a good job playing his role in Godzilla's Revenge. Hope to see him again some day.

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

Sorry, my bad. Post edited. Sorry for knocking an awesome monster.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Gabara is an unusual monster, but I don't dislike him. He's just not much to talk about. His TK toon version is hilarious, though.

" And remember, anything can be candied, including beets. But if you candy candy, you'll open a black hole that will destroy the entire universe. Trust me, it works."
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

Hellspawn28 wrote:Oh thanks for pointing that out. I find him pretty undderrated, and calling him "Overrated" is like calling Bio Broly "Overrated". He is rather unrather popular monster, and he did give us a awesome toon version of himself for the TK toons afterall ;).
I removed the freakin' post, okay? Get off my back.

Primevalgodzilla V2
Futurian

Post by Primevalgodzilla V2 »

Gabara is cool. He's ugly as piss, but that's sort oif the point. He's not supposed to be some likeable character. People should warm up to him. I guess that's becuase he's stuck in a bad movie. Something like Hedorah. But he's uinique, that's one thing for sure.
It's impossible to keep up with all the monsters that aren't really that great but for some reason are well loved just because they're so powerful.
Nobody like Armor Mothra. They think he's strong, sure. But he's also boring as hell.

Biollante, GKG, Des and SG all look incredibly imposing and badass, and Biollante is to me, the best executed monster in toho eiga. GKG is super-evil, which I really like. If any kaiju is overrated, its showa Ghidorah and showa MG. How KG had twice the votes of GKG and Showa MG had pretty much mroe votes than the other 2 MG's put together is beyond me. The amount fo love they get is nothing short of amazing. And while I respect they are the first, they aren't all THAT great.
It is a simple story. There is nothing that brings me happiness. Be it believing in others or them believe in me, it did not matter.
What others called happiness simply did not bring me joy.

Tamura
EDF Instructor

I just realized something

Post by Tamura »

GABARA IS A GINGER

Now whenever I see him all I can think of is CopperCab.
Last edited by Tamura on Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

Oh God. Somebody needs to do a toon of that.

"It really irritates me that Tamura would imply that red-haired kaiju don't have souls... cause we do. We do have souls. And lately I've been called a ginger... a fat ginger... by everybody on Monster Island. GINGERS HAVE SOULS! I'm a Christian, I go to Church! You can't tell me who has a soul and who doesn't! You're not a God! Phoo! It pisses me off!"

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Agreed.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

^^He's asking if the directors and staff of the movie admitted it wasn't in the timeline.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

Killswitch
G-Force Personnel

Post by Killswitch »

Although Gabara is part of a childs imagination, I think the monster has potential. From what I've read, he is based off of Japanese folklore - an Oni? Which is the Japanese version of a Troll or Ogre. If this information is true, there are a lot of possibilities for him.

I am in the process of writing a couple new stories. My pet project is taking less popular monsters and making them cool. Rebooting a bad film like Godzilla vs Megalon, and making it kick a$$.

I am currently using Gabara as a villian in one of my stories. It takes place in ancient Japan, and he ends up fighting King Caesar.
Yep, no cool monsters like Godzilla or King Ghidorah in my story, its time to give the misfits their turn-LOL

Alucard
Xilien Halfling

Post by Alucard »

Gabara is one of the monster that you hate him so much that you like him.I personnaly like him because of his unique design and interesting roar
SuperSaiyan4Godzilla wrote:
wataru wrote:It's not huge and it's white.
LIKE YO DICK!